Edge—passenger med emergency delays arrival

KKB

3 hours ago, GTarrant said:

I am on the 7th sailing; my embarkation time was 12:30. Earlier we got a note that the ship would be arriving at the port at 2 pm. And 5 minutes ago got another email that the ship will not arrive until 5 pm at the earliest and "updated embarkation time" and any cruise changes will come by 10 pm tonight.

There better be some OBC involved with this; we're missing a dinner and more. I hope the person is OK, given it had to be rerouted it sounds serious. I don't want to make light of their situation, we just have no place to go - our hotel checkout is 11 am, and our hotel won't hold our luggage.

Have you been to Bonnet House just off A1A?  Several years ago, we had a late flight out of FLL and decided to visit Bonnet House for a few hours.  The gardens are beautiful and there is a tour guide who did a great job guiding us through the buildings.  Best yet...they have an office where we were able to leave our luggage while we were there.  Small admission price...very relaxing way to spend a few hours.

Good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lola2013 said:

Have you been to Bonnet House just off A1A?  Several years ago, we had a late flight out of FLL and decided to visit Bonnet House for a few hours.  The gardens are beautiful and there is a tour guide who did a great job guiding us through the buildings.  Best yet...they have an office where we were able to leave our luggage while we were there.  Small admission price...very relaxing way to spend a few hours.

Good luck.

Bonnet House was last stop on Amazing Race awhile ago. Wish I could recall the names of the winning couple, but I remember they had to have their heads shaved  bald to get the fast forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

Bonnet House was last stop on Amazing Race awhile ago. Wish I could recall the names of the winning couple, but I remember they had to have their heads shaved  bald to get the fast forward.

Uchenna and Joyce.  Beat Rob and Amber or Survivor fame.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GTarrant said:

The Edge itinerary for the 7th sailing has been changed - Costa Maya has been removed, and now there's 3 sea days instead of 2.

Just curious, we haven't heard this yet and we're booked on that cruise. If I might ask, where did you hear this from. That's fine if it has been removed as that's the one port we were waiting to book an excursion for until we got onboard.

Just saw this thread and can’t believe someone is looking for OBC  because they will miss a dinner!  I get being concerned about rebooking flights, finding hotels or something to do until a very late embarkation, but really when someone’s life is at stake missing a dinner is beyond trivial!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Just saw this thread and can’t believe someone is looking for OBC  because they will miss a dinner!  I get being concerned about rebooking flights, finding hotels or something to do until a very late embarkation, but really when someone’s life is at stake missing a dinner is beyond trivial!

I think sometimes people post things hastily without really giving it much thought.  I'm sure once he/she calmed down after hearing the news of the delay he/she realized how the post sounded and probably regretted bringing the "missed dinner" up.  I'll give the person the benefit of the doubt due to the stress level of knowing your embarkation day is screwed up.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jcpc said:

I think sometimes people post things hastily without really giving it much thought.  I'm sure once he/she calmed down after hearing the news of the delay he/she realized how the post sounded and probably regretted bringing the "missed dinner" up.  I'll give the person the benefit of the doubt due to the stress level of knowing your embarkation day is screwed up.

I've been on many many cruises all over the world and I can say this one has been the most stressful. First with the new testing for vaccinated guests an additional $500 in costs for four, then not knowing with the delayed departure if it would meet the "72 hour" requirement. Secondly the very late departure. Lastly we had planned on doing our own thing in Cozumel but I guess that's no longer an option and you can only take their paid curated tours. At some point there are better options for a vacation even though I do love cruising.

• Like 1

The Ship only excursions for Cozumel ( Roatan & Costa Maya) and other  Caribbean ports  changed a few months ago and may change again at any time. 
Many things are out of our control as passengers and many our out of the control of the cruise lines.  As an experienced cruiser, like you, I wouldn’t stress about the 72 hour time on the test .  No way X or any other cruise line, under these circumstances,  would require a new test for 1500+ passengers with 24 hours notice and if did they would make it available.

Traveling anywhere in these times is stressful.  We did a AI in Mexico a few months ago.  We are vaxed but needed a negative test to return home.  We tested negative but a couple we met at the resort had the husband test positive so no return home on time. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The Ship only excursions for Cozumel ( Roatan & Costa Maya) and other  Caribbean ports  changed a few months ago and may change again at any time. 
Many things are out of our control as passengers and many our out of the control of the cruise lines.  As an experienced cruiser, like you, I wouldn’t stress about the 72 hour time on the test .  No way X or any other cruise line, under these circumstances,  would require a new test for 1500+ passengers with 24 hours notice and if did they would make it available.

Traveling anywhere in these times is stressful.  We did a AI in Mexico a few months ago.  We are vaxed but needed a negative test to return home.  We tested negative but a couple we met at the resort had the husband test positive so no return home on time. 

Yes Celebrity was still reiterating this afternoon it had to be within 72 hours from embarkation. It wasn't until tonight they conceded they would accept them within the last three days. You would think a lot of things but look at the disaster last weekend at the port.

I've been to Cancun twice since May and the difference there is the hotels will test you onsite for free so that you can return home. Worse case you can go to Tijuana and cross back over the border.

The ironic part is Celebrity decided that Cozumel and Roatán are too much of a risk for Covid but Nassau isn't and neither is Florida the Covid capital. You can get a breakthrough case any of those places. They have very few excursions in Cozumel and to pay $400+ for a party of four to go to a margarita making class doesn't seem worth it even though it does sound fun!

6 hours ago, ALuckyChrm said:

I've been on many many cruises all over the world and I can say this one has been the most stressful. First with the new testing for vaccinated guests an additional $500 in costs for four, then not knowing with the delayed departure if it would meet the "72 hour" requirement. Secondly the very late departure. Lastly we had planned on doing our own thing in Cozumel but I guess that's no longer an option and you can only take their paid curated tours. At some point there are better options for a vacation even though I do love cruising.

Absolutely.....that sums up the beauty of cruising perfectly!  Choose to jump thru all these hoops and protocols, or cancel/choose another vacation.  Options are a beautiful thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ALuckyChrm said:

agreed. ive been saying this all along only to get flamed and blocked. its not a vacation.  we will wait. not risking my wife's health and safety. enough cruises under our belts to wait maybe forever 

The cruise lines are going to have a long road ahead of themselves to build back consumer confidence. At this point a cruise vacation is a gamble...you're really not confident if it will ever sail and if it does you're not confident of the itinerary or if you will be able to even get off the ship. With protocols changing by the hour it further diminishes confidence....even among the most avid cruiser.

• Like 4

This is just like life.....unpredictable.  If you've done anything in life, work, family and yes, even vacations, you know rarely does anything go as planned.

Lemonade out of lemons.  This time next year, you'll see the fun and adventure this trip was....good memories and stories to tell.

@KKB....you will have QUITE the story to tell, when all's said and done.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ALuckyChrm said:

Yes Celebrity was still reiterating this afternoon it had to be within 72 hours from embarkation. It wasn't until tonight they conceded they would accept them within the last three days. You would think a lot of things but look at the disaster last weekend at the port.

I've been to Cancun twice since May and the difference there is the hotels will test you onsite for free so that you can return home. Worse case you can go to Tijuana and cross back over the border.

The ironic part is Celebrity decided that Cozumel and Roatán are too much of a risk for Covid but Nassau isn't and neither is Florida the Covid capital. You can get a breakthrough case any of those places. They have very few excursions in Cozumel and to pay $400+ for a party of four to go to a margarita making class doesn't seem worth it even though it does sound fun!

We did a fun excursion in Coz  called Salsa Salsa and Margarita.

It was at the Hotel Cozumel but they do similar events at some nicer hotels

too., We  were split into  groups at tables...it was  lots of fun...we made diff salsas and various magaritas..freely tasted, and then they had salsa dance lessons,. We skipped the dancing and had a nice swim in the big pool..and a longer  visit to the gift shop.  We still have our recipe book from the excursion.

Maybe a ship's excursion might be a fun adventure!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bajathree said:

The cruise lines are going to have a long road ahead of themselves to build back consumer confidence. At this point a cruise vacation is a gamble...you're really not confident if it will ever sail and if it does you're not confident of the itinerary or if you will be able to even get off the ship. With protocols changing by the hour it further diminishes confidence....even among the most avid cruiser.

I’ve followed all the cruises since they started sailing this summer…

Been on the Edge the last 2 weeks.

Am MORE confident than ever that cruise lines (Celebrity particularly) are doing everything they can to ensure passenger safety & ensure a lovely sailing.

But as with many things these days, we are “building the plane as we are flying it”.

Things will NOT be perfect…and protocols can change on a dime. I appreciate proactive actions.

But these last 2 weeks have been AMAZING.

Truly.

Special for so many reasons. 
I’d do it again in a heartbeat.❤️

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

These types of thread are NOT what is needed.  Crowing over the health of a passenger and how it inconveniences you is neither helpful to the community nor appropriate.

Just wait.  There will be those who will want to know what compensation will be offered.  There were passengers on our cruise who wanted compensation because the ship left FLL 30 minutes EARLY.   

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ALuckyChrm said:

I've been on many many cruises all over the world and I can say this one has been the most stressful. First with the new testing for vaccinated guests an additional $500 in costs for four, then not knowing with the delayed departure if it would meet the "72 hour" requirement.

Secondly the very late departure. Lastly we had planned on doing our own thing in Cozumel but I guess that's no longer an option and you can only take their paid curated tours. At some point there are better options for a vacation even though I do love cruising.

Hello, "ALuckyChrm."

Although we don't agree with your second paragraph (quoted above), we do empathize with you on the first paragraph.  We have been very vocal here -- and will always remain adamant -- in rejecting/condemning Celebrity's new and unjustifiable decision to require that vaccinated guests be tested, at their own expense and within a small (and sometimes impractical/impossible) window of time.

You used the right word: stressful.  No, that's not the right word for many of us, because it is too mild.  The word, "traumatic," gets closer to the reality of it -- and stress/trauma has no place in cruising.  That's why we have no cruises booked, despite longing to be aboard "immediately, if not sooner."

12 hours ago, bajathree said:

Yours was a very eloquent statement, sir.  Thanks for that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KKB said:

I’ve followed all the cruises since they started sailing this summer…

Been on the Edge the last 2 weeks.

Am MORE confident than ever that cruise lines (Celebrity particularly) are doing everything they can to ensure passenger safety & ensure a lovely sailing.

But as with many things these days, we are “building the plane as we are flying it”.

Things will NOT be perfect…and protocols can change on a dime. I appreciate proactive actions.

But these last 2 weeks have been AMAZING.

Truly.

Special for so many reasons. 
I’d do it again in a heartbeat.❤️

Agree…….doing the same.  Had such a good “imperfect” vacation the first time (mine started off with a bomb scare), I ponied up to do it again next weekend. 

I believe Celebrity is doing this the right way.  They’re sailing with as high a vaccination rate as they can (95%+) while successfully navigating sometimes treacherous political waters.  And now, they are requiring COVUD testing before sailing.  I know some are befuddled as to where to have this done.  But, hopefully those of us who have experience with testing have steered them in the right direction in these threads.

I can see some potential issues for those who are coming from outside of the U.S. (mixed vaccines, vaccine manufacturers that are not recognized, etc).  Overall, I think the policies are the right ones to insure there will be few to no outbreaks.  In short, I feel safe sailing on Celebrity.  That’s paramount.

To be clear, if there’s any confusion, if you’re a U.S. Citizen, COVID testing and vaccines ARE FREE!  There are some places where you can get results in 30-40 minutes.  Those you generally have to pay for.

But, the dominant pharmacies in the U.S. (Walgreens, CVS, Kroger Pharmacy) are plentiful and they do not charge U.S. Citizens a fee for the tests, nor the vaccine.  Walgreens you can schedule a COVID test 3 days out.  CVS you can schedule a test 2 weeks out.  If you can’t get an appt within your home turf, you can spread out your search.  Or, you can get the test around where the cruise is embarking from.  Or, you can get the test from your GP.  Or, most local hospitals will be able to set up a test for you.  Bottom line, there are plenty of places to get a test.

I’ll be trekking to my GP Wednesday.  I have had tests before and always got results in less than 24 hours (PCR).  If I don’t have my results by Thursday afternoon, I’ll go to one of the nearby pharmacies and get an Antigen test on Thursday afternoon.  Either way, I’ll have results in my hands by Friday, at the very latest.

I tested a couple of weeks ago after returning from the last EDGE cruise.  So, as of a couple of weeks ago, I’m negative.

If this one proves positive, I’m not even going to the airport.  Plus, being positive, there is no way I’d want to spread it to others, so I’d self-quarantine.  And, I’d live to cruise another day.

This is not that hard.  Put 10% of your planning time into getting the COVID test as you do finding transportation to the pier, and you’ll be fine.  Options and flexibility are the keys.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4