The Daily for Saturday August 14, 2021

richwmn

Today is Chinese Valentine's Day/Daughter's Day, National Creamsicle Day, and 14/15 V-J Day
Today is also Celebrate Your Lakes Day, Color Book Day, National Bowling Day, National Navajo Code Talkers Day, and National Wiffle Ball Day!

The greatest pleasure of life is love. - Euripides

Meal suggestion for today - Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo

Drink of the Day - Acapulco Cocktail

Wine of the day - Black Opal Shiraz - Australia - Red

Destination of the Day - Saipan Northern Mariana Islands

Ships with Passengers

Seattle, WA
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Statendam Destination Great Stirrup Cay arriving at 12

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0814USA.thumb.png.b7803dd4bdf5a64af6f6eba9b9f18f8e.png

0814Europe.thumb.png.bbb4c255031a160bf43f5ef2ccf8830f.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Wow on the collection of days.  I think by the time of tomorrow's daily passengers may have started boarding the Eurodam.  I've never been to the Northern Mariana Islands.  Great quote by Euripides.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Prime Rib of Beef  au jus, and Baked Alaska, what might have been my final dinner on the Grand Dame, August 14, 1997.

Today’s care list:

RIP Frederick Fire Captaiin Josh Laird, Last Alarm 8/11/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
Mr Boston’s DSIL with aggressive abdominal cancer
NextOne with shingles
Copeland and Brenda with breakthrough Covid
From the rotation:
Kazu’s friend recovering from a brain bleed
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Bon Voyage Boytje
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome homeAliaschief, bobpatj, and Copper10_8
Debbie off to Michigan
 Ger_77's family visit
CruisingAlong weekend family visit
TiogaCruiser celebrating a year of retirement
Eurodam ramping up for service.
USANA Class of 2025 finishing poebe summer
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. That is quite a collection odf days.

We are living in stange times. On one hand much of the world is getting back to normal yet our hospitals are filled with unvaccinated folks. There is still a lot of danger out there. Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning.  Thank you for the Saturday Daily Report.

That's quite a collection of days, a salute to each of them.

Great quote.

Interesting meal suggestions, I like them both, but I think we'll bbq some chicken burgers.  The drink of the day and wine sound good too.

Another port I have not visited, thanks in advance for all the pictures and comments that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List, cheers to all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Good morning, everyone!

Rich, you have really outdone yourself.  With that collection of days everyone has to be included.

Today is the family picnic.  Unfortunately, one nephew has elected not to attend because he refuses to get vaccinated and doesn't want anyone hassling him about it.  And, he doesn't want to wear a mask.  Oh, well.

The menu is hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, German potato salad from the family cookbook, vegetable platter, cucumbers and sour cream, fruit salad, and the regular assortment of chips and dips.  

I've had the wine of the day onboard a BHB and thought it was very good.  Love today's quote and anxiously await a description of the drink of the day.   

Today's meal selection looks and sounds good, but way to carb heavy for me.  Sigh......

https://damndelicious.net/2020/04/04/instant-pot-chicken-alfredo/

Instant-Pot-Chicken-AlfredoIMG_0336.thumb.jpg.a0c0a6ec74662af7027bdb714ee99ac8.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good Saturday morning.  Safe travels to our members leaving Seattle.  What a collection of days.  Something for everyone.  I like the quote.  The meal looks and sounds yummy.

Sorry about your nephew Debbie.

Looks like the storm will pass us.  Cloudy morning but the sun is making it's way.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Acapulco cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces white rum
1/2 ounce Triple Sec or Cointreau
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 tsp sugar
1 egg white
Fresh mint and lime wedge for garnish
Instructions
Add rum, triple sec, lime juice, sugar, egg white and a hand full of ice to a cocktail shaker.
Shake vigorously.
Strain into a glass over crushed ice.
Garnish with mint and lime.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 7.18.59 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Wow - what a collection of days.  There has to be something for everyone in that massive list 👍  Our lakes are so important - I’ll celebrate those.

Love the quote by Euripides - so true!

No instant pot so the meal suggestion is out.  Maybe a chicken Caesar salad?  I’ll see after I have some more caffeine 😉 

Whatever the meal is it has to be something that doesn’t heat up the kitchen or can be on the BBQ - our huge heat wave is continuing as do the heat warnings.

@dfishenjoy your family get together.  Too bad about your nephew but if he won’t get vaxxed or mask then it’s probably best for the rest of the family.  

I’m quite pleased with Canada’s stance on travel whether it be by air, train or cruise ship.  Speaking of travelling:

E7BD3B45-46F7-4941-B91C-7412ADEFE1E1.thumb.jpeg.684cf7957671f2e33c218caa757ed5bd.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!

0B98A5F8-9DC3-479C-B8E8-A8A75C3ED55F.jpeg.3a09dded018dc54f9eb3d68f3e6f1927.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 33
  • Haha 6

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

Wow that is some list of days.

Our niece Sarah is like a daughter to us.

The English Lake District is our favourite destination at home.

Nice meal and drink selection today.

We have not been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

I hope everyone has a nice day and our prayers for everyone on the care list 

Graham.

Screenshot_20210814_123104.jpg

Screenshot_20210814_123036.jpg

Screenshot_20210814_123011.jpg

Screenshot_20210814_122940.jpg

Screenshot_20210814_122913.jpg

Screenshot_20210814_122829.jpg

Screenshot_20210814_122741.jpg

Screenshot_20210814_122719.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all. There are so many days to celebrate today. Lakes are just delightful  and so refreshing.Daughters' day is everyday here.I was on a bowling  league for a few years and managed to at least bowl my average and not disgrace the team.

It is still quite warm here but we managed another night with our "patient ".let me just say that nurses sometimes  don't  make the best patients 😉

It is a learning curve for all of us.

Miss Camilla and a pretty New Hampshire lake

5162.jpeg

4902.jpeg

• Like 36

Good morning all!

@kazu, the goose on a moose made me laugh out loud!  Reminded me a little of the rhyme from our last trip up to Toronto when we struggled to keep track of our 'loonies' and 'two-nies'!

Today's list of days just shows there's a special day for everyone!  

I have yet to succumb to the Instant-Pot crowd and don't own one.  To those who have one, is it worth the storage space?  I wonder if it would make dinner planning for my now-retired DH easier...he's still learning to 'time' different dishes so they are all done together, but maybe everything in one pot will make that much easier.

I've never met an Aussie Shiraz I haven't liked...Australian wines fall in my top three regions for deliciousness.

@dfish, hope you enjoy your family day. 

@grapau27, just beautiful pictures - really captures a peaceful looking place

My day will start with a relaxing manicure/pedicure, but then some errands and packing.  I'm off to Atlanta tomorrow for five days on business.  We've been 'unmasked' here in NJ for a couple of months, but Atlanta (along with most of the south) is now a hotbed of COVID with vaccination rates still on the low side...indoor mask mandate in place down there.  Pulling out a few of my washable masks and a fresh box of disposables for the suitcase, and the photo of my vaccine card saved to 'favorites' on my phone so I can access easily if needed.  

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I need a nap after reading the list of days! I better not plan to toast all of them this evening. That could be dangerous. So I will focus on V-J Day, Navajo Code Talkers and Lakes. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Happy to see that your meeting with your cardiologist went well. Morning Dailyite family! @smitty34877thank you for persevering & posting your Camilla pic!
@dfishenjoy yourself today! @summer slope, glad Fred will bypass you. Some of the rainfall predictions for Miami and the Keys were eye openers!

Some early morning showers here. A lazy day here. Lots of leftovers from last night, so I do not even have to plan a meal today!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Black Opal Shiraz 

I could not find too much info from my normal wine sources. But this Shiraz is widely available and very reasonable. As low as $7.49! At that price it is a good one to try and if not a fan use it for cooking.

Winemaker info

Black Opal established in 1986, comes from a place of untamed territories and unspoiled land. This is Australia. The land they call "Oz". The land down under. Brimming with life, Australia is a dreamland rich in culture, diversity and natural history. Like their namesake, Black Opal wines are purely Australian, offering up the glowing mystique that is Australia. The Black Opal wines are sourced from vineyards found in South Australia along the Limestone Coast, at Langhorne Creek and in the infamous Barossa Valley.

Wine notes
Intense color, flavor and soft tannins from grape skins. Ripe berry fruits along with fig and raisin add to the complex cedar aromas. The palate is soft plum with a dark fruit richness. The tannins are fine and supple making a round, mouth-filling wine.

The Black Opal Shiraz is dense in color with a violet rim. Ripe berry fruits along with fig and raisin add to the complex cedar aromas. The palate is soft plum with a dark fruit richness. The tannins are fine and supple making a round, mouth-filling wine.

Black Opal Shiraz is rich red in the glass. Aromas of blackberry, pepper and spice followed with rich plum flavors round out the palate. Soft tannins give structure to the fruit-driven palate.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Good morning all!

@kazu, the goose on a moose made me laugh out loud!  Reminded me a little of the rhyme from our last trip up to Toronto when we struggled to keep track of our 'loonies' and 'two-nies'!

Today's list of days just shows there's a special day for everyone!  

I have yet to succumb to the Instant-Pot crowd and don't own one.  To those who have one, is it worth the storage space?  I wonder if it would make dinner planning for my now-retired DH easier...he's still learning to 'time' different dishes so they are all done together, but maybe everything in one pot will make that much easier.

I've never met an Aussie Shiraz I haven't liked...Australian wines fall in my top three regions for deliciousness.

@dfish, hope you enjoy your family day. 

@grapau27, just beautiful pictures - really captures a peaceful looking place

My day will start with a relaxing manicure/pedicure, but then some errands and packing.  I'm off to Atlanta tomorrow for five days on business.  We've been 'unmasked' here in NJ for a couple of months, but Atlanta (along with most of the south) is now a hotbed of COVID with vaccination rates still on the low side...indoor mask mandate in place down there.  Pulling out a few of my washable masks and a fresh box of disposables for the suitcase, and the photo of my vaccine card saved to 'favorites' on my phone so I can access easily if needed.  

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Thank you.

The English Lake District is a fabulous place to visit.

I have been visiting here for 50 years.

Graham.

• Like 10

Good morning everyone!  It's a beautiful start to our day here but going to be hot again.  We can begin to see rain in the forecast quite often over the next week.  Probably some from Fred, but watch out @summer slopebecause I saw there is another storm named Grace coming along that will probably have Florida in its crosshairs.  And that will mean more rain for Georgia. 

I don't know which special day to celebrate today!  Daughters of course.  Lakes, yes that too.  @grapau27thanks for the lake district photos.  I think we've seen you visit there before.  Very pretty part of the country.

Prayers for those on the Care list and congrats to those celebrating.  I'm happy to see so many people visiting family.  Just stay safe.  And @dfishyour nephew can just sit home and reflect on his decision.  Maybe FaceTime is the only way he will be able to see his family.  @smitty34877thank you for the new photo of Baby Camilla.  She's so adorable!

The menu suggestion for today looks yummy!  We will no doubt be having a repeat of last night's birthday dinner, ribs, potato salad, corn on the cob or another vegetable and cake.  DH has promised not to leave the remainder of the cake to me.  Whew!😅

I have not been to Northern Mariana Islands.  I checked its location and read that it's a commonwealth of the United States.  I never knew that!  I would love to see it.  I am hoping for some photos today.  Meanwhile I'll continue to check it out on the internet.

Have a great day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

let me just say that nurses sometimes  don't  make the best patients 😉

Sometimes?  Nurses and physicians are notoriously bad patients 😉 

34 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Miss Camilla and a pretty New Hampshire lake

5162.jpeg

4902.jpeg

So sweet ♥️ 

• Like 13