I'm this close to canceling HAL n booking NCL because they test at the pier...ready to scream!

atexsix

5 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

Has anyone reported if HAL is giving refunds (not FCC) for cancellations made on the Alaska sailings after the significant protocol changes?  

Yes, they are.  We were supposed to sail on August 28th and had tickets to fly from Denver to Seattle on the 25th.  Trying to find acceptable tests (which you'll remember were not well laid out in the first days this was announced) was a nightmare and we were worried that we'd get to Seattle and not be able to find a test or worse, would get there and test positive and then be stuck away from home.  So I contacted our TA on August 5th (only 23 days before we were supposed to embark) and asked them to contact HAL and let them know why we were cancelling - they came back and offered 75% as FCC and the remainder as a refund on our credit card.  OK, fine.  Then the next day I read that someone was able to get a full refund.  This was over a weekend.  On Monday, August 9th, my TA contacted HAL Guest Relations again and they agreed to give us a full refund.  And I'm happy to report that the full amount showed up on our credit card yesterday so it only took 6 business days to process!!  Blew us away.

Of course YMMV.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I think this is exactly HAL’s problem. 😡
On our roll call, a couple had made an appointment but were told that there are almost no Antigen tests available, the shipments are sitting in customs as the test is foreign made. Results are taking about 8 hours. For the PCR test results in 5-7 days and they are almost out of that.  😱😡

It’s has been stressful for some especially depending on where they live and what’s available, getting appointments and results to be within the 72 hours and depending what their Pre-Cruise plans are worrying about being able to get tested in Seattle.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

Has anyone reported if HAL is giving refunds (not FCC) for cancellations made on the Alaska sailings after the significant protocol changes?  

Yes for the sailings departing through 10/31, if you specifically state you are cancelling for the mask/test mandates...they will offer to rebook first, then FCC, then if you decline those two...full refund.

I am a bit confused about this discussion.

Is the point trying to get a free test?

We have a cruise next month on a different cruiseline & just found out we need a test within 72 hours of boarding.

I googled 'free covid test near me' and got a ton of places, including CVS, Walgreens, Longs, etc.

not all their locations & you do need to set up an appointment.

Free but not really since the government really pays for it but nothing out of pocket for you.

Also, we live by San Francisco airport. They have a clinic there & they also do the tests.

Might try your nearest airport.

I always thought the point was that HAL should provide the test at the Port and not give yet another hoop to jump through to secure a test.  For those who are sitting it out and not cruising its no big deal and easy to give opinions.  For those of us booked and ready to cruise its quite different.  Depends on those looking to cruise and those looking to wait.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nymich said:

I always thought the point was that HAL should provide the test at the Port and not give yet another hoop to jump through to secure a test.  For those who are sitting it out and not cruising its no big deal and easy to give opinions.  For those of us booked and ready to cruise its quite different.  Depends on those looking to cruise and those looking to wait.

Exactly! It's easy to find a test, but will the result come back in time? We cruise on the 21st and our first test is today at 2pm. We have a "back up" test on the 19th on the way to the airport, supposedly to take 12 hrs for a result. But will we get either back in time? THAT is the stress, not finding a place to get one.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Nymich said:

Exactly!  It seems that the ones who think it’s so easy are ones that have no intention of cruising for a few years.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Shippy said:

I am a bit confused about this discussion.

Is the point trying to get a free test?

We have a cruise next month on a different cruiseline & just found out we need a test within 72 hours of boarding.

I googled 'free covid test near me' and got a ton of places, including CVS, Walgreens, Longs, etc.

not all their locations & you do need to set up an appointment.

Free but not really since the government really pays for it but nothing out of pocket for you.

Also, we live by San Francisco airport. They have a clinic there & they also do the tests.

Might try your nearest airport.

You can get free covid tests all over if you are symptomatic.  Travel tests are different or at least they are where I live.  They are not done on every corner.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I cancelled a couple of weeks ago for the Aug 28th sailing. It was the last day I was eligible for a 25% refund. I was willing to lose the other 75% as the whole testing business was stressing me out. I had specifically chosen HAL because at the time of booking they were planning to sail 100% vaccinated and didn't require testing as well or masking on board.

Long story short, I was offered the opportunity to book another cruise at the prevailing rate, or a future cruise credit, or a full refund. I opted for the full refund. I think it was a very nice gesture on HAL's part, and would make me consider them again when I feel ready to cruise.

• Like 4

Just canceled last night.   The first rep I got just canceled it and told me I would only get the port fees back as a refund.   Didn't even give me an option for FCC.    When I objected, he put me on hold, but we got disconnected.     Called back and got a more knowledgeable rep who put me on hold to talk to his supervisor.   Then came back on and offered me the full refund.   They have a protocol in place for refunds if you cancel because of the new mandates for masks and testing, from what I gathered.   He mentioned he has to fill out a form stating that and HAL is tracking it.   Very happy that HAL is extending the refund offer given the circumstances.   I think it's the right thing to do.

• Like 7

So I'm confused. HAL is testing at the Pier and you must have a neg Covid test within the previous 72 hours? IS this correct?  But this makes NO sense!

You can be fully vaccinated and test + for Covid. This is what happened to Gov. Abbot of TExas.

Any one of us who is vaccinated can test + for Covid. So what is the point of getting vaccinated pertaining to cruises?  Are we all just supposed to roll the dice and hope we don't have a + test 72 hours before we cruise?

And IF we do test +   what about refunds? Not just from HAL....but one would lose money on air travel and non refundable hotel deposits.

This is bogus. Who wants to cruise under these restrictions? All set to go; you have gotten the vaccine and at the 11th hour you test +. Who wants that stress? It is stressful enough just planning and travelling to GET to the cruise ship. Never mind this BS.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Exactly!  It seems that the ones who think it’s so easy are ones that have no intention of cruising for a few years.

You are totally misunderstanding the response of posters who are making suggestions.  They are trying to be helpful, not critical.  What was confusing to some of us was whether the OP's basic issues was free testing or the rapidity of the results. I can well understand his impatience with an inability to obtain a fast-enough response for boarding.     I did not see his response to that, so I still don't know.  

• Like 1

I totally understand the stress all of you are going through. We went to Hawaii in June. Tests were coming back from Kaiser practically before you got home from testing. Until they weren’t!!!!! My husband’s results were back in 24 hours. Mine didn’t arrive until two hours before we had to leave for the airport. 

• Like 2

Before going with NCL, look at reviews of the hours-long testing process at the pier, with lines stretched around the block, or other experiences in Florida on MSC and Celebrity, where it took people over 3 hours to get on the ship, as well as the ruined plans if you test positive at the pier. You also have to consider whether you want a bigger ship crowd without masking, especially with many breakthrough cases on ships now and an elderly vaccinated woman who died from Covid after leaving a Carnival ship in Belize. I went on the NCL Joy a few years ago, and the open upper decks make it freezing and crowd everyone inside, whereas HAL has the roof over the pool area. You also visit Glacier Bay, whereas NCL goes up a fjord and twirls around in front of a small glacier. Regardless, I'd make sure you have travel insurance, since there have already been cruises to Alaska where passengers have had to be medivaced by helicopter. 

Personally, I'd just go with a pharmacy and say he's uninsured, especially since the government is picking up the tab in any case, and you shouldn't be held responsible if a pharmacy doesn't want to take the trouble to figure out how to bill the VA. You could also go up to corporate customer service and say their stores are denying your father needed Covid testing because they don't know how to input VA billing. 

It was pretty simple and straightforward for us, at the risk of arousing anyone's ire. I'm not on HAL but on Celebrity (sailing Friday 8/20). Like HAL, they changed the testing requirement, at about the same time. 

We found out we could get tested at CVS minute-clinic, made the reservations as soon as the system would let us, and went in today for our tests. Had our rapid antigen test results in under 1 hour; they are printed out and ready to go with us on our flight to Seattle tomorrow. Both DS and I have separate insurance (through work) and neither of us was charged. They asked if it was for travel and we said yes but there was no problem with booking us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Cruising has nothing to do with it for us.  We require a PCR test done within 72 hours to get on a plane return home when we travel to a foreign country.

It may or may not be easy.  It is a PIA for some depending on where you happen to live or be travelling. But it is a condition of passage so our choice is simple.  Figure out how to get it done or not travel.  Moaning, groaning, and complaining will not change the current situation for us.

Cost is not an issue.  We expect to pay for it one way or another. We have accepted the cost as a cost of travel.  No different that the cost of obtaining a passport or Nexus card.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, iancal said:

It may or may not be easy.  It is a PIA for some depending on where you happen to live or be travelling. But it is a condition of passage so our choice is simple.  Figure out how to get it done or not travel.  Moaning, groaning, and complaining will not change the current situation for us.

Yup.

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

You are totally misunderstanding the response of posters who are making suggestions.  They are trying to be helpful, not critical.  What was confusing to some of us was whether the OP's basic issues was free testing or the rapidity of the results. I can well understand his impatience with an inability to obtain a fast-enough response for boarding.     I did not see his response to that, so I still don't know.  

Or you are misunderstanding.....................

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It was pretty simple and straightforward for us, at the risk of arousing anyone's ire. I'm not on HAL but on Celebrity (sailing Friday 8/20). Like HAL, they changed the testing requirement, at about the same time. 

We found out we could get tested at CVS minute-clinic, made the reservations as soon as the system would let us, and went in today for our tests. Had our rapid antigen test results in under 1 hour; they are printed out and ready to go with us on our flight to Seattle tomorrow. Both DS and I have separate insurance (through work) and neither of us was charged. They asked if it was for travel and we said yes but there was no problem with booking us.

I've done some investigating in person (not google) and also talked to a colleague who is going to the USA shortly.  So far, it doesn't seem to be a huge problem to get a test here but it's not free.  I don't live in Seattle so unless you do or are getting tested there how would you know if it's difficult or not?

• Like 1

Sigh. 

My PCP will not test me since it’s for travel and I am asymptomatic. Plan A was to use CVS, but my insurance will not pay for the test since I’m asymptomatic. I called MinuteClinic (who does the testing for CVS). I explained the situation and asked if I would be eligible for the federal program for testing. Reina said no since I’m asymptotic, the test would be $120. 

On to Plan B https://www.covidclinic.org/. Rapid antigen $75. At the airport parking lot before I fly out. 

If for so reason they can’t test me (i.e., run out of tests), I have Plan 😄 I have an appointment to get tested at SeaTac when I land.  https://www.xprescheck.com/  $200 for a Rapid Molecular NAAT Test (I think it’s OK with HAL). And I don’t have to pay up front. 

Sigh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We may need to get PCR tested in Panama.  We have friends who have verified price and availability in Boquete and are will do the same for us in Panama City.

For Athens, we are relying on comments on forums like this, tripadvisor questions and postings, on line searches of PCR clinics and prices, and potentially soon to be either emails or phone calls to some of those clinics.   

We would do exactly the same for any other location.  It is called initiative.

At home we will need an antigen test where we live or in Toronto depending on where we depart.

Plus....it could all change a day after we have made our arrangements.  Who knows?   But we have to accept this in order to be able to travel.  It is all down to our ability and effort to get to end of job on this.

Or...we could just stay home.  Our choice entirely. Because if we are refused passage or entry it will all be down to us.  No one else will be to blame and we will have to live with any financial consequences or inconvenience.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

On 8/16/2021 at 9:14 PM, atexsix said:

Why?  Because I have spent all afternoon just trying to book a test and encountering hurdle after hurdle, mainly because Dear Dad is V.A. and they only have testing for people that are showing symptoms, not for travel. 

So the saga began around noon:

-First off, the free options; I checked pharmacy after pharmacy and the county site and none of them have a way to enter V.A. information for a free test; it's possible they would accept a Medicare supplement, but DD doesn't have a supplement.  All the free places clearly stated it's illegal to withhold insurance information, so is V.A. insurance?  Could we just self pay then?  More questions than answers, let's try Google.....30 minutes of searching got me nowhere on where veterans can be tested, let alone for free.

-A myriad of urgent cares are in the area, but every one of them had some type of exclusion, and none had information on turnaround time, so it'd be risky anyway.

-Self tests are a hassle but sound good about now, couldn't locate a single one that included virtual visits.  

-Next up is the private lab in Bellevue, but not at $380 (each!), course they will submit an insurance claim on our behalf, but that brings us back to the V.A. problem.

-Carbon Health sounded promising, but the clinic closest to us can't do same day results, it would be 2:00 the next day and I'm sorry, but we have to be packing by then.....their idea of "rapid" would cost $150 each.  But at least self pay is available.  

-Our nearest Covid Clinic by the airport did not get good reviews, but they are the cheapest at $130 each and can promise results in an hour.  Best of all, they don't deal with insurance, so no V.A. roadblocks.  

-And if that failed for some reason, we'll be close enough to SeaTac to pull in there and test on the spot, none of this appointment/vague website crap. 

So, Covid Clinic it is.  At one point I had the NCL website open, the 9/4 sailing is just about sold out, they had a few insides available.  But the thought of all the canceling and rescheduling of our plans was enough of a deterrent. 

Dear HAL....I'll try and forget about this experience when I book our spring cruise next month.

its not worth the hassle. we are waiting till next year

I am getting tired of panicking....things seem to change day by day. Our Holland cruise is not until next year so I am not going to worry about it now.The one that was stressing me is next month on MSC out of Miami.

For a long time now they required testing at the pier. Really stressed me out because although vaccinated, I know we could wind up with a positive test.

Last week, they added we had to provide proof of a negative test taken within 72 hours of arriving at the pier as well as getting tested at the pier.

TODAY, IT SEEMS THEY CHANGED THEIR MINDS !

We NO longer need to test at the pier, just the test before we get there.

Seems the backup at the pier caused a lot of problems as well as people being stranded because they got a 'surprise' positive test & were stranded at the pier.

They will also save a lot of $$$ by not having to do thousands of extra test for each cruise.

We have 6 weeks to go. Who knows what the requirements will be then.