The Daily for Thursday August 19, 2021

richwmn

Cloudy and cool this morning!!!! Whooo Hooooo! We got a nice soaking, gentle rain last night also. We need a lot to catch up so all is welcome. Will head out to the HS this morning to deal with a couple issues and say "hello" to the macaws ( I am going to miss them  - but then I don't have to clean up after them). Otherwise, a quiet day working on the house. Tomorrow I get my hair cut which is way overdue.

Will check back later. Have a great day everyone.

Susan

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I will be off line this afternoon and into the evening.  PET scan this afternoon, then a Fire Department board meeting and then walking (no exercise permitted before the scan).

Roy

Good luck with the PET scan, Roy 🤞 

31 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Just popping in with a quick update, before heading out with Bindi.

Doc said he could still see the fracture line - barely. So another two weeks in the brace. He thinks I might be able to get rid of it totally then. 

BUT, I now have a 40 degree bend, so no more zombie leg!  It feels amazing. I will never take bending my knee for granted again.

Stay well everyone!

Sorry about two more weeks in the brace 😔 but it’s been adjusted which means you have really improved. 👍 Hopefully in 2 weeks you will be rid of it forever.

Not sure if your hospital has it or not, but here they will take it to re-use to donate to patients who can’t afford to buy them - not everyone has insurance or can afford them.  I happily donated mine.  They can be re-used many times 👍 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

These are a few of my pictures from our b2b on the old Regal Princess NYC to Montreal and back cruise.  We had two stops in Halifax, but I only have pictures from the first stop.  The second time it was raining hard and very windy, so it turned into a "sea" day.

We rented a car on the first day.  I have the obligatory pictures of the lighthouse at Peggy's Cove, but there are a lot of people in them.  Instead, this is a fishing village near Peggy's Cove.

IMG_3762.thumb.JPG.801f1faefebf1ce7e0f9b297712329d7.JPG

A few miles past Peggy's Cove is the memorial to Swissair flight 111 which crashed into the ocean on September 2, 1998, killing all on board.

IMG_3772.thumb.JPG.d1e489661e081c7f18c41327afbc948d.JPG

Our final stop that day was the Citadel.

IMG_3777.thumb.JPG.aaf8ec373f37e0fe8c9235370fea2c77.JPG

IMG_3776.thumb.JPG.06679b55d59f4d0f3a8a5be4cdcd9fba.JPG

IMG_3775.thumb.JPG.e919813584a211c5417323134b20e7a2.JPG

IMG_3787.thumb.JPG.e0c3508c314680dabbad47e326cbe1a7.JPG

Halifax from the Citadel.

IMG_3783.thumb.JPG.40c72bde3f7eca0b63f8be82a304bd3d.JPG

IMG_3786.thumb.JPG.2816d79719b455f053f62fcf6c2b7441.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25

Good afternoon.  Thought I posted this morning, but guess I didn't hit submit. Pleased that there is aviation out there, but not going on a plane in the near future.  Love potatoes in any form.  And Love all the photo's that are shared here.  We've been to Halifax but not on a cruise.  Drove up from visiting our DD in New Hampshire.

Will pass on the meal as I don't care for asparagus.

Prayers and hugs for our lists.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  We can get our booster after October 6th.

Aviation:

The Aviation is a classic cocktail made with gin, maraschino liqueur, crème de violette, and lemon juice. Some recipes omit the crème de violette. It is served straight up, in a cocktail glass. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Gin, 1/2 oz Lemon juice, 1/2 oz Maraschino liqueur, Crème de violette or Creme Yvette
Preparation: Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 11.35.11 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good luck with the PET scan, Roy 🤞 

Sorry about two more weeks in the brace 😔 but it’s been adjusted which means you have really improved. 👍 Hopefully in 2 weeks you will be rid of it forever.

Not sure if your hospital has it or not, but here they will take it to re-use to donate to patients who can’t afford to buy them - not everyone has insurance or can afford them.  I happily donated mine.  They can be re-used many times 👍 

Great idea, Jacqui. I will ask. I am sure there must be a way to totally sanitize it. And I bet the foam cushion pieces can be totally replaced. 

I have not seen my bill yet. I can’t wait to see what the brace costs. 

• Like 12

Good morning, Dailyites, and thank you, Rich, Roy and the food and drink ladies.  Aviation Day, wow, that is what I am just a bit nervous about , for our next cruise I think we will probably have four flights, which means four airports also.  I'm dreading all that, but hopeful we will get on the ship!  We did our final payment a couple of days ago, and are still waiting for our "paid" Booking Confirmation, our new PCC has tried to send it using multiple email addresses and today she emailed me.  (I think, Jacqui, that since you have now cancelled, it is all up in the air!)

"I was just getting ready to call you.  The sailing is currently on hold for air and booking confirmations.  I believe they are working on something related to Venice.  Flightease and booking confirmations should be released very soon.  I’ll let you know as soon as I hear more."

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

These pictures are of our visit in 2009 on Tahitian Princess, 2013 four stops on b2b2b2bs on Veendam, and our final visit in 2019 on Veendam's TA.  @rafinmd  BTW, Roy, we boarded the Veendam on August 24, 2013.  I'm guessing that is the day you disembarked Veendam.

Just a few pictures from  2009

IMG_6037.thumb.JPG.3c1e1f66837c1c4ddc54e6280feec1ad.JPG

IMG_6038.thumb.JPG.71f0e1186c07ac1c8cb0a4e2cf55c690.JPG

IMG_6042.thumb.JPG.51f49de314b24aba6f59f061ef5473be.JPG

In 2013, we drove north from Halifax to close to the end of the Bay of Fundy, since we wanted to see the bore tide, which was not very tall, but your could hear it long before you could see it.

DSC00510.thumb.JPG.26e4ee71e80d25768528b84273c45f37.JPG

DSC00512.thumb.JPG.b12404c87c2132bae00fa137cf5c46d6.JPG

DSC00513.thumb.JPG.d30fc7d36daf71bb38a4493fb09bac62.JPG

Most of my pictures from 2013 are duplicates of ones I've posted or that others have posted.  These were taken as we sailed to the next port.  The second one is Ft. McNab on McNab's Island.

DSC00528.thumb.JPG.f4246fc0704721ca10927379392f85c2.JPG

DSC00532.thumb.JPG.11d92d6939aef667a0f7e01fe9ee2234.JPG

In 2019, we walked along the board walk on a breezy, sunny day.  It was a pleasant walk, seeing the sights and the many statues.

DSC08451.thumb.JPG.4c38d777c0f7d9b80230e883148698de.JPG

DSC08453.thumb.JPG.e8b0df408b2994fa3708ff609c01bb0f.JPG

DSC08454.thumb.JPG.1712935904cc6551777b2ce7a4ff9d64.JPG

DSC08460.thumb.JPG.c0e98aeb7389162312f9c3a3d0b50eb7.JPG

DSC08462.thumb.JPG.dc1d57ddf4d3f038dc625c964c80439c.JPG

DSC08464.thumb.JPG.3b8cd2e0fafddf913c05d0c7cf321e10.JPG

This satatue was to honor all the men who serve or had served in the Canadian Navy

DSC08461.thumb.JPG.4329b8bfc7672676e4b01b7b730d2009.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I will be off line this afternoon and into the evening.  PET scan this afternoon, then a Fire Department board meeting and then walking (no exercise permitted before the scan).

Roy

Prayers for you Roy.  You are always so thoughtful of others and remember to include all the needs. I just want to say thank you.  It brought a smile to my face to see my name on your list with only a month before I am on a BHB. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  A great collection of days!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Hope you are doing well. Morning Dailyite family! Looking forward to the meal and drink recipes. Today is my big reveal. Hopeful, but trying to manage my expectations. I will report in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay

If you can find this elusive wine, you will find it reasonably priced.  I found it  online from European distributors for as low as $10.00. Consumers give the 2018 vintage a rating of 3.9 out of 5. So this might be worth a try. Especially if you can find it locally. 
Winemaker notes
Made from 100% Chardonnay grapes and aged for 6 months in oak which imbues the wine with a lovely mouthfeel. The wine has flavours of spicy stone fruit with creamy and nutty notes with some subtle toasty hints. Round and rich on the palate with a lovely fresh finish.

🌺Aloha Ann! My fingers are crossed 🤞 and wish the absolute best! 7am here just starting to read! The wine sounds interesting! Have a great day sis!

❤️Denise😊

• Like 9

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Just popping in with a quick update, before heading out with Bindi.

Doc said he could still see the fracture line - barely. So another two weeks in the brace. He thinks I might be able to get rid of it totally then. 

BUT, I now have a 40 degree bend, so no more zombie leg!  It feels amazing. I will never take bending my knee for granted again.

Stay well everyone!

🌺Ann, just got to this page and 

knowing only 2 more weeks AND having a bend sounds like celebration 🍾 time! We will toast today to you

❤️Denise😊

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Great idea, Jacqui. I will ask. I am sure there must be a way to totally sanitize it. And I bet the foam cushion pieces can be totally replaced. 

I have not seen my bill yet. I can’t wait to see what the brace costs. 

Oh yes, they can sanitize them and replace the foam pieces.  Those are really the only part that touch your skin.

Mine had to be purchased at a special orthopaedics place as they are trained to set them up properly.  Mine was $300 a few years ago.  I’m sure the cost has gone up.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

(I think, Jacqui, that since you have now cancelled, it is all up in the air!)

FWIW Ann, my TA’s opinion is that the Transatlantics will be cancelled in a few days.  That’s just her opinion - not hard fact 😉    She also advised that now Italy is insisting on ship excursions only in Italian ports.   It just came out a day or 2 ago.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I envy you the hibiscus. They are one of the few flowers that make wonderful botanical prints instead of leaving a dull blot on the fabric.

I have a ton of hibiscus.  I just flaunt these since they were not supposed to make it 😉. I wish we were closer - I’d be happy to give you as many flowers as you could use. 

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

You illustrate perfectly the importance of having a good TA. A bad TA, or your own compute  can do a perfectly adequate job IF NOTHING GOES WRONG. The moment anything goes south, a really good TA is worth their weight in gold!

I completely agree. She is worth her weight in gold 👍 

• Like 9

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING MY CC FAMILY 

A BIG ALOHA TO ALL!!

Love aviators day!! Love the quote👍 Thanks to Rich for such a great Daily!

@rafinmd🌺 Roy I hope your tooth is feeling better and I will be thinking of you today with your scan!

@difish Love the picture of you on the rock! Congratulations 

that your next door neighbor will help in repairs and love today’s dish.

image.jpeg.04bec2e67d730e32754f337bffaed6a8.jpeg

@Seasick Sailor🌺Good Morning Joy!!

Love the picture! I am hungry!

Well today is a busy day here for us so going to have breakfast 

and hope to check back later!

@kazu🌺Jacqui!

Thank goodness FINALLY your cruise is all straightened out and you have a keeper with your TA that was a big ADVOCATE IN YOUR CORNER!!! Congrats!

also beautiful picture

Mahalo Denise😊

• Like 20

I was relieved to see @summer slope post the drink recipe. I was afraid I would have to fill in for her since the Aviation is one of my favorite cocktails (I hope no one is counting how many favorite cocktails I have claimed)! As I think I have mentioned before, don't forget about the Aviation's cousins - Blue Moon (gin, crème de violette, lemon) and Moonlight (gin, crème de violette, Cointreau, lime).

I just made final payments for our November 20th cruises using gift cards. I also got the platinum CPP in case the pandemic situation in Florida gets even worse and we want to cancel. It is a 14 day Caribbean back-to-back and our son and his SO will join us for the first week (used the buy one get one cruise promotion from a while back). We will celebrate Thanksgiving and his birthday onboard!

• Like 19

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. Cheers to aviation, I love potatoes (such a versatile veggie), and consider photography as my hobby (I used to have a full darkroom in pre-digital days).

I like the quote. I like frittatas but not with asparagus. I like the drink and wine, although I prefer reds.

I haven't been to Halifax. Thanks to all who posted pictures.

We got almost 2.5" of rain yesterday, with some local flooding, but not too bad thankfully. Scattered showers for the next 5 days are forecast.

@kazu Congrats on getting the cruise transferred successfully.

@St. Louis Sal How wonderful for your teacher friend: she sounds very deserving.

@aliaschief Welcome back!

@ger_77 Many years ago, as my mother was developing dementia, I sat down with her and went through old pictures, trying to get her to identify people. One of my tasks when I first retired was sorting through all photos I could find, cataloging and organizing them in photo storage boxes.

@cat shepard Sorry another 2 weeks in the brace, but you want the best outcome, so it has to be that way. Yay on the 40° bend!

@rafinmd Good luck with the PET scan.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask if needed.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, and thanks for the Daily.

Roy, our best wishes on your scan today.

Thanks to all for sharing your memories of today's port.

From our visit to Halifax in 2017.

Sailing in past McNabs Island lighthouse

A.thumb.JPG.95b98ec8abca61dbe5473f5cb2d17244.JPG

We strolled along the Harbourwalk and found an interesting view of the Zuiderdam

B.thumb.JPG.14b87ee14ef32a34e49f47fa095b47c8.JPG

A highlight of the visit for Lori was meeting Merlin at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. We had checked his webcam for months before the trip. He can be very entertaining.

C.thumb.JPG.5de83d500bbf00500edeae564a283aa0.JPG

The museum has a very nice Titanic exhibit, but I found the memorial display to the Halifax explosion to be most poignant.

The Hope and Survival quilt and panels with the names of the 1946 victims in both English and Braille.

D.thumb.JPG.c6a39c6242e32b18dc16a29400078e17.JPG

After returning to the ship we relaxed and watched as Zuiderdam led the way out.

E.thumb.JPG.4c1bcf42015308f4d2537d8e5a5f1bfa.JPG

As always, our prayers to those with a need, and congratulations to those with a cause.

Please stay safe and healthy and have a great afternoon!

Lori & George

• Like 23

7 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. Cheers to aviation, I love potatoes (such a versatile veggie), and consider photography as my hobby (I used to have a full darkroom in pre-digital days).

I like the quote. I like frittatas but not with asparagus. I like the drink and wine, although I prefer reds.

I haven't been to Halifax. Thanks to all who posted pictures.

We got almost 2.5" of rain yesterday, with some local flooding, but not too bad thankfully. Scattered showers for the next 5 days are forecast.

@kazu Congrats on getting the cruise transferred successfully.

@St. Louis Sal How wonderful for your teacher friend: she sounds very deserving.

@aliaschief Welcome back!

@ger_77 Many years ago, as my mother was developing dementia, I sat down with her and went through old pictures, trying to get her to identify people. One of my tasks when I first retired was sorting through all photos I could find, cataloging and organizing them in photo storage boxes.

@cat shepard Sorry another 2 weeks in the brace, but you want the best outcome, so it has to be that way. Yay on the 40° bend!

@rafinmd Good luck with the PET scan.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask if needed.

DH worked his way through college as a photographer for Texas Student Publications, the business group that oversaw the The Daily Texan (newspaper), the Cactus (yearbook), the Ranger (magazine) and all other publications at The University of Texas.  He even got to take pictures of Farrah Fawcett before she became famous.  She was one of the students selected as the Ten Most Beautiful and featured in the Cactus.  The photos were sent to talent agents in Hollywood, and the rest is history.  When he graduated and went to work, his secretary was Farrah's cousin, who arranged an invitation to her wedding to Lee Majors.  Unfortunately, we did not go.

As a journalism major, I took a Photo J course, but was not great in the darkroom.  For years, we had a darkroom setup, and eventually, the equipment went to our younger DD.  Now we are digital family which is so much easier.

Lenda

• Like 17

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Great combination of days.  Aviation is the reason we can get to so many places 👍. Great quote by Louis.

Today’s meal sounds good - thanks @dfishfor the variation recipe.  The drink today matches the day!  Cool.

I wish I liked oaky Chardonnay’s more as today’s wine sounds interesting.  

I’ve been to Halifax more times than I can count - between work conferences, visits, etc.  Lovely city and great people.

Remember the sad hibiscus plants I rescued?  They are blooming away 🙂 

CF1C55EA-FC13-4437-ADE3-45AFD654B541.thumb.jpeg.39b3653b8e93b69b31e7b88d01ec1ae5.jpeg

DH’s weird plant has bloomed and finally the chilies have.  They are way behind this year and I can’t figure out why other than different varieties? 🤷‍♂️ 

60FA9DCE-ACF5-4C70-9205-AE416F174853.thumb.jpeg.4f722b00b5796ec49a66444db09d8ca5.jpeg

I got a piece of good news yesterday afternoon.  My TA called and after 6 weeks of fighting, she has gotten our cruise transferred successfully - perks, OBC and all to the sailing next year 👍   She really had to fight and went right up the ladder.  She’s put countless hours in (for which I feel badly) but I am every so grateful she was willing to do so. ♥️ 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list and for those that need them & 🥂 to those on the Celebratory/Shout out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!!

1DC90EEC-C368-4F4A-8FB1-C05CFF8B19AC.jpeg.8bb09d012543c4d3aa386c76546e9ede.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

Great news on the chilies  and the cruise!  So good to have a TA that will go the extra mile!

love those hibiscus! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

@kazuJacqui, I’m with you on disliking oaked  Chardonnay. I always thought Chardonnay was a waste of ground that could be growing useful grapes until I tasted unoaked Chardonnay. Wow! Light, crisp, wonderful! Unoaked Chardonnay is now one of my favourites, and the rare time I see it on a wine list, that’s what I go for. AND did you know Chardonnay is one of the three varieties of grapes blended in making champagne?

Me too, unoaked is fine otherwise 🤢

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 8

Late today, busy planning a Day trip to a medicine wheel and some abandoned schoolhouses,   lol!   We loved Halifax and all the maritimes,  it’s time for a do-over

we have cool and rainy but yesterday the most beautiful blue skies,  I am grateful!  

• Like 11

2 hours ago, kazu said:

FWIW Ann, my TA’s opinion is that the Transatlantics will be cancelled in a few days.  That’s just her opinion - not hard fact 😉    She also advised that now Italy is insisting on ship excursions only in Italian ports.   It just came out a day or 2 ago.

I tried to respond on my iPhone earlier, and CC wasn't having it!  But thank you for the information, Jacqui, we are certainly waiting with bated breath to see what is going to happen.  We are decided that if the TA doesn't go, we will not go on the segment before the TA.    But why on earth couldn't they have postponed the final payment date until they make up their minds!

• Like 14