The Daily for Friday August 20, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Day of Medical Transporters, National Lemonade Day, and National Radio Day

Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great -- John D. Rockefeller

Meal suggestion for today - Spanish Moroccan fish

Drink of the Day - Hanky-Panky

Wine of the day - Casa Lapostolle Grand Selection Cabernet Sauvignon - Chile - Red

Destination of the Day - Macapa Brazil

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Seattle

Santorini Island, Thira, Greec
Eurodam 07:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta today
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 8/22

Augusta IT
Zaandam Anchorage

Corfu GR
Volendam

Ensenada MX
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0820World.thumb.png.935ea2f9f88cf804f1e2a8b12c4737f0.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Happy Friday.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A big thank you to medical transporters.  I think I'll have a glass of lemonade later, thanks for the suggestion.  I enjoy listening to the radio.

Inspiring quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal suggestion, not sure if I will like it or not.

The drink sounds like fun!  Hope the wine is good too.

I've never been to today's port.

Another hot day for us.

Prayers for everyone.  Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Saluting Medical Transporters, Lemonade, and Radio.  I like the Rockefeller quote.  I've been to Macapa just once on my 2013 Prinsendam Amazon Explorer.  I'll pass on the Moroccan fish.  My alternative is Citrus Delight with Amaretto and Grilled Lamb Chops with Oregano and Apple Chuney as served on MS Statendam August 20, 2014.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires    
The passenger medivaced from Nieuw Amsterdam
Brenda with breakthrough Covid and mourning Copeland’s and her brother’s deaths
jimgev DW dealing with rampant covid and burnout
Sharon’s mom in g radiation
Afghanistan and Norseh2o’s nephew assisting the evacuation
smitty34877's nephew facing possible deployment to Afganistan
New Zealand continuing outbreak
From the rotation:
Kazu’s friend recovering from a brain bleed
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Boytje on a BHB
Front Line Health Care Workers
StLouisSal’s friend in running for teacher of the year
1 day for cruisin single
1 day for CruiseMGM and negative Covid test
Sharon’s help for her mom
Part freedom for Cat shepard
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Quick post for the Drink.

Hanky-Panky:

Ada Coleman, “Coley,” as she was known to her regulars, graced American Bar from 1903 until 1925 and served drinks to just about everybody, including Mark Twain, Diamond Jim Brady and the Prince of Wales. Toast her today by fixing her signature Hanky Panky, a fabulous mixture featuring equal parts gin and sweet vermouth. It starts off like a Martinez, but rather than maraschino liqueur and bitters, it receives a couple dashes of the bitter amaro Fernet-Branca for good measure. Coleman created the cocktail for Sir Charles Hawtrey, a celebrated actor who visited the bar. As the story goes, he asked for a drink with a punch. Coleman served him this fine number, leading him to exclaim “By Jove! That is the real hanky-panky!” The name stuck.
Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces gin
1 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth
2 dashes Fernet-Branca
Garnish: orange twist Steps
Add the gin, sweet vermouth and Fernet-Branca into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with an orange twist.

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 7.38.58 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.

The new lawn service came by yesterday and mowed the lawn and it looks great.   My neighbor came over and looked at the plumbing that needed to be done and proclaimed them all easy jobs.  Things are looking up!

I have the pool today at 10:00 and then lunch with fellow retirees at 11:30.   Three weeks from today we fly to Seattle.

Today's meal sounds good.  I think I would like the spice combination.   It does call for tilapia, but you can substitute any mild white fish.   I have some cod I might try it with.  

https://www.food.com/recipe/spanish-moroccan-fish-233576

230396129_SpanishMorroccanFish.jpg.52001e7b3ec6c74d5627ebde829dae82.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thank you to all the medical transporters of the World. All the more appreciated during these horrible times. Love lemonade, especially when I use my Meyer lemons to make it.  Always enjoyed a good radio station. 

Roy, thank you for our lists!  Hope your scan results bring good news. Morning Dailyite family!   I just need to vent. Many counties in Florida have decided to make masks optional in schools. My Sister’s grandson has been back to school ONE WEEK and in his middle school there are already 14 students who have tested positive for COVID. 8 of them are in his class. I know we are not the only state dealing with this exact same situation. As badly as I feel for the families who are providing masks, I really feel badly for the teachers.  Ok, vent over.

Yesterday I realized how much I depended on the ability to push off of the ball of my foot for forward momentum when walking. Just the 40 degree bend allowed me to almost double my walking speed. Even Bindi kept looking at me.  And my hip did not ache at the end of the day. Woo hoo! 

Tonight heading over to a friends, I am picking up Baja bowls from Panera and she is providing the wine.😎 But the meal sounds great.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Casa Lapostolle Grand Selection Cabernet Sauvignon

All released vintages of this Cab have very good - excellent ratings. In fact the 2018 vintage has a slightly better price starting online at $9.99. Winemaker Notes

This Cabernet Sauvignon has flavors of red currant, strawberry and blackberry, with a supple and round palate. 

An ideal companion for all red meat, winter soups and barbecue.

Serve at 16°C (60°F). The ideal companion for well grilled red meat, bolognesa pasta and cheese. Blend: 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Syrah

JS92 James Suckling: This is dialed-in with blackcurrant, oyster-shell and lavender character. Full-bodied, tight and firm with polished and refined, chewy tannins, hints of vanilla and a flavorful, linear finish. Drink or hold.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning All, thanks for the daily report.  I going to give thumbs down on the meal suggestion but @dfishrecipe looks like I could eat it.  The final bill finally showed up on my credit card this morning.  That’s the longest it took to appear.  The crew showed up this morning to install a new upstairs shower.  It will be an all day affair.  We dealt with the remains of Fred yesterday, parts of the state got hit hard.  Now to get ready for Henri.  I hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 22

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂 

Great collection of days and a big salute to Medical Transporters!

Love the quote by Rockefeller 🙂  And the meal suggestion for today sounds yummy.  Love the name of the drink today.  

We’ve been to Brazil but not the port of today.

@erewhonso sorry to hear about your cases there 😔 

@Gail & Marty sailing away Happy Birthday Gail!

70EB7C3D-4BAC-4057-B737-4FB013279117.gif.04983361c7da40b2bb3bda32fce14662.gif

@Crazy For Catshope Fred didn’t cause you too much damage.  Good luck prepping for Henri.  Sadly, it’s currently forecast to head here as well 😔  I’m going to have to get very energetic to prepare.

9B19D44B-91D6-4A8F-B7D9-05DBBD4DA221.thumb.jpeg.75898dcf66ca87eb56972aab656fc53a.jpeg

Thought those of you who love their hummingbirds might enjoy this one.

9E8C4921-AADC-4E9C-AD1C-84FFE940BA2F.thumb.jpeg.54b843e28eeb0b051934f81a09cf8cc8.jpeg

Looks like another muggy one today.  I can’t remember a summer where it was so humid in a very long time.  We make the best of it as all too soon we will be back to the cold weather 😔 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

A8501554-AA4D-46FE-98A0-8D3A41D2D9A3.thumb.jpeg.e6b4b0aca6c9b261c5d188d7fecb16a3.jpeg

Stay safe everyone and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂 

Great collection of days and a big salute to Medical Transporters!

Love the quote by Rockefeller 🙂  And the meal suggestion for today sounds yummy.  Love the name of the drink today.  

We’ve been to Brazil but not the port of today.

@erewhonso sorry to hear about your cases there 😔 

@Gail & Marty sailing away Happy Birthday Gail!

70EB7C3D-4BAC-4057-B737-4FB013279117.gif.04983361c7da40b2bb3bda32fce14662.gif

@Crazy For Catshope Fred didn’t cause you too much damage.  Good luck prepping for Henri.  Sadly, it’s currently forecast to head here as well 😔  I’m going to have to get very energetic to prepare.

9B19D44B-91D6-4A8F-B7D9-05DBBD4DA221.thumb.jpeg.75898dcf66ca87eb56972aab656fc53a.jpeg

Thought those of you who love their hummingbirds might enjoy this one.

9E8C4921-AADC-4E9C-AD1C-84FFE940BA2F.thumb.jpeg.54b843e28eeb0b051934f81a09cf8cc8.jpeg

Looks like another muggy one today.  I can’t remember a summer where it was so humid in a very long time.  We make the best of it as all too soon we will be back to the cold weather 😔 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

A8501554-AA4D-46FE-98A0-8D3A41D2D9A3.thumb.jpeg.e6b4b0aca6c9b261c5d188d7fecb16a3.jpeg

Stay safe everyone and please don’t forget your 😷 

No real damage here, just a few branches knocked down.  A bit further west lots of flooding.  It was more muggy post rain yesterday than before.  Running the ac just for that.  This morning’s forecast changed the path of Henri from brushing the cape to landing in RI and we are in the more direct path.  There are a couple of days for things to change or get ready.  I was planning on grocery shopping tomorrow but now will go as early as possible to avoid the crowds.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My Sister’s grandson has been back to school ONE WEEK and in his middle school there are already 14 students who have tested positive for COVID. 8 of them are in his class. I know we are not the only state dealing with this exact same situation. As badly as I feel for the families who are providing masks, I really feel badly for the teachers.

I share your frustration. Seems like we are playing russion roulette with our children.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Another hot day today, but only in the 80s. Our grandson is coming for a visit today before he heads back to U. Of Rochester tomorrow for his sophomore year. Grandson number two is already at college for his freshman year and grandson number one has his mom visiting him in LA.

Our aide is returning to Ghana the end of the month because her father died. The agency we are using can’t promise to find us a vaccinated replacement and my kids refuse to allow someone who isn’t vaccinated in the house. We will know Monday and then have to try another agency or move to our daughter’s house until our present aide returns. It won’t be a law here until September 7th that all health care certified aides have to be vaccinated and many of them are making more on unemployment than they do working so there is a real shortage.

Stay safe out there .

Carol

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

I like lemonade especially on these warm days of August. A big salute to medical transporters especially during this time.

@Gail & Marty sailing away A very Happy Birthday to you!

The continued rising numbers are very frustrating. Here in Cocoa Beach, there is a Friday Fest once a month. Think street festival. It is a lot of fun and very well attended. I always volunteer at  the library booth along with 2 other ladies. Last night we decided we cant do it, it is just too much risk. Hopefully things will start to turn around soon.

Off to water aerobics. There are just 8 of us and we are very spread out in an outdoor pool.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

No real damage here, just a few branches knocked down.  A bit further west lots of flooding.  It was more muggy post rain yesterday than before.  Running the ac just for that.  This morning’s forecast changed the path of Henri from brushing the cape to landing in RI and we are in the more direct path.  There are a couple of days for things to change or get ready.  I was planning on grocery shopping tomorrow but now will go as early as possible to avoid the crowds.

Glad you had no serious damage 👍 I hope Henri changes and heads out to the ocean for everyone’s sake.  

• Like 11