The Daily for Friday August 20, 2021

richwmn

48 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Sandi, I will toast your DD’s achievement. Teaching is difficult in the best of times. Teaching during the pandemic is HEROIC! 

I am happy that you and DH will be able to say farewell to Copeland and his son. 

Thanks Ann!  She's been teaching since 1995, but took off some years when her first three kids were babies.  Now she says she's so OLD, the third oldest teacher out of 27 in the school.  She's only 49; LOL!  Over the years she's picked up lots of little tricks to help the kids learn formulas, etc. and it really seems to work.  She loves seeing the light bulb come on when they finally get it!😲

45 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Just a quick note, thank you for the Daily and good wishes to all. Have a house full of guests .... or it really just SEEMS that way when it's normally just the 2 of us in our little home and the in-house population doubles with the addition of my brother and sister in law! Headed to the airport in a few short hours for our flight to Seattle, and then onboard the NA tomorrow! Hoping everything goes well, and hopes and best wishes to everyone on the care list and celebration list. Probably won't be checking in after this, as we don't have the internet package and aren't bringing the computer. But will check back once we're home, probably around the end of the month, as we're spending 2 nights post-cruise with nieces and nephews in Oregon. Hey, we're so close, why not? Haven't seen them in over a year, so excited!

Best wishes to everyone!

I was just reading your testing experiences over on the other thread.  Have a wonderful cruise!  You deserve it after all the work just getting on the ship anymore!😅

• Like 16

Good morning, all! It would be nice to celebrate the day by drinking lemonade and listening to the radio. I also salute medical transporters, so essential and so often undervalued. It would be nice to buy them lemonade as well. The Moroccan Fish good, as does Roy’s lamb alternative.

We have, and haven’t, been to Macapa Brazil. That is where the Princendam picked up the paperwork for entering Brazil, and possibly the pilot, although memory is less clear on that. The officials came out in a boat and although we sat there for a long time we didn’t dock and no one went ashore. Apparently is is even less safe to go ashore there than Belém or Recife, which is pushing the envelope a bit! It is known for a monument where the Equator runs through town.

@Gail & Marty sailing awayHappy Birthday, Gail! It’s too bad you aren’t celebrating it on the Eurodam in Santorini.

@cat shepard Ann, that’s awful about your sisters DGS. 8 positive in his class alone! Wow! The numbers there are very concerning, especially right after Canada has opened the border to visitors from the US again. At least it is only opened to fully vaccinated, which should help. And as of today, the US has extended on Canadians crossing the border for another month. This may be just as well, until the delta surge passes. 

Yesterday was a happy day processing the silk I ordered into a state ready for printing. Instead of doing a few scarves at a time when I want to print something a day or two later, I have everything ready to go whenever the right leaves come along.

We have a forest fire across from us on Vancouver island. There is a large smoke plume heading east, rather than spreading out to blanket the region. It’s alarming, but did make a pretty sunset from our friends deck.

This will not post right side up, no matter what I do.

063C5617-5825-4BBD-9EE1-80A6275971D0.thumb.jpeg.1ed7143041010cc31db9d7952fd4dfc8.jpeg

Happy Friday, courtesy of the elevator mats of our BHB’s!

893BAB36-4ABA-4CCF-8D46-2D1E2B2E7223.thumb.jpeg.cd852a646f1add37c7f1e170951f6362.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 25

58 minutes ago, CruiseMGM said:

Just a quick note, thank you for the Daily and good wishes to all. Have a house full of guests .... or it really just SEEMS that way when it's normally just the 2 of us in our little home and the in-house population doubles with the addition of my brother and sister in law! Headed to the airport in a few short hours for our flight to Seattle, and then onboard the NA tomorrow! Hoping everything goes well, and hopes and best wishes to everyone on the care list and celebration list. Probably won't be checking in after this, as we don't have the internet package and aren't bringing the computer. But will check back once we're home, probably around the end of the month, as we're spending 2 nights post-cruise with nieces and nephews in Oregon. Hey, we're so close, why not? Haven't seen them in over a year, so excited!

Best wishes to everyone!

Have a wonderful cruise & post-cruise visits!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, CruiseMGM said:

Best wishes to everyone!

Bon Voyage.  I'll try not to put "Welcome home" in the Shoutout list until I hear it's actually happened.

Roy

• Like 9

Good morning, Dailyites!  I'm up early as we are heading out to Costco as soon as we are ready.  I am very disappointed today that the US border will remain closed to Canadians for another month!   I have been seeing quite a few US licence plates, even Texas, here!  Oh, well, think of all the money I'm saving.  Maybe not, I'll spend it at Costco!

It sounds like an interesting day today, I am very grateful to medical transporters.  One of my oldest friends here died this month.  She had dementia and we had not seen her for some time.  I will be remembering her today.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

👍Thank you for The Daily,  Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists.

🍰 I did a little 'land based' celebrating yesterday...all low key. Hopefully, next year a cruise? 😁

🎂 Congrats to Gail on her special day! 🎶

We were in Brazil but not to the port of Macapa that I recall??( 🚢Viking Sun)

🙏Prayers to all in need.🙏

Katie 

20210820_074236.jpg

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

💕We love Michigan @aliaschief...have fun on your upcoming trip! In the past,  I would choose a state to visit in the US and 3 years ago it was MI.🙄 It's a little up in the air right now.

😷Masks are NOT optional here...in fact, you need to show your vaccination card in more and more places.

🚢Have a great cruise @CruiseMGM! 🚢

me again...Katie

20210820_082848.jpg

• Like 19

Good Morning. As always, thanks for the daily and the lists. Nice collection of days. The meal suggestion sounds good but I woud substitute cod as we don't eat tilapia.

It's another hot one here today - a good day for lemonaid and now the pool is calling.

Stay safe.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 18

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. Medical transporters are important. I like lemonade. I mainly listen to the radio in the car.

Great quote.

I'll pass on fish, as usual. I'll pass on the drink and take the wine.

I haven't been to today's destination.

It's partly cloudy and not too warm today. I'm going to dinner with 2 vaccinated friends. I'm a little nervous. I think the servers will be masked, better than the last place where I ate a few weeks ago, where they weren't. We're going early, so it shouldn't be crowded. And this weekend there are festivals going on here; I know they're outside, but they're asking just the non-vaccinated to wear masks and I wouldn't trust people to comply. In the last 48 hours, 620 new cases were reported to the County Health Department.

@cat shepard I agree that the school situation is a mess! The news has shown school board meetings here where the parents on either side of the mask issue are screaming at each other! Great that your walking is so much better.

@Gail & Marty sailing away Happy Birthday Gail!

@mamaofami Enjoy DGS's visit. Sorry your aide lost her DF. I wouldn't let anyone in who wasn't vaccinated.

@StLouisCruisers Congrats to DD on her teaching skills.

@CruiseMGM Safe travels and Bon Voyage!

@grapau27 How fun to visit the castle.

@Vict0riann Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. Medical transporters are important. I like lemonade. I mainly listen to the radio in the car.

Great quote.

I'll pass on fish, as usual. I'll pass on the drink and take the wine.

I haven't been to today's destination.

It's partly cloudy and not too warm today. I'm going to dinner with 2 vaccinated friends. I'm a little nervous. I think the servers will be masked, better than the last place where I ate a few weeks ago, where they weren't. We're going early, so it shouldn't be crowded. And this weekend there are festivals going on here; I know they're outside, but they're asking just the non-vaccinated to wear masks and I wouldn't trust people to comply.

@cat shepard I agree that the school situation is a mess! The news has shown school board meetings here where the parents on either side of the mask issue are screaming at each other! Great that your walking is so much better.

@Gail & Marty sailing away Happy Birthday Gail!

@mamaofami Enjoy DGS's visit. Sorry your aide lost her DF. I wouldn't let anyone in who wasn't vaccinated.

@StLouisCruisers Congrats to DD on her teaching skills.

@CruiseMGM Safe travels and Bon Voyage!

@grapau27 How fun to visit the castle.

@Vict0riann Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance and wear your mask.

Thanks.

We were not allowed to photo in the castle but the tour was excellent and it was nice to see where Downton abbey was filmed.

The grounds were amazing too.

Graham.

IMG_20210819_154649.jpg

IMG_20210819_154922.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26

I will try to have a few photos of Macapa later but will likely be in the fire house a good part of this afternoon.  Yesterday was a challenging day.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer almost 25 years ago and my PSA is creeping up again.  The PET scan was to look for any cancerous spots and try to take care of them before they become a problem.  Be prepared to stop reading if you're easily grossed out.

My prostatectomy has left me with bladder control problems and yesterday was not a good day for that.  I had prepared for the day with absorbent briefs and it's a good thing I did.  My procedure uses a pretty rare dye which comes from only a couple of pharmacy labs, usually one in Charlottesville.  The tech says it has to arrive right on time and is usually a bit late. Yesterday it was unusually late.  We were a bit concerned that it might have been seriously delayed by the Washington bomb scare.   The tech called the lab and they said "It isn't on our manifest".  Turns out it was coming from Philadelphia (probably good news) but still the shipment was about an hour late.  Despite using the toilet immediately before the table I think the stress got to me and I had a major accident.  Fortunately, the absorbent did it's job and the table was dry when I got up.

I was at least an hour behind when I left the facility.  I had planned to stop at an area store for groceries and then Panera for lunch/dinner.  I got the groceries but had to substitute the McDonalds drive through for Panera.  I was home just in time for the fire department meeting.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@rafinmd Sorry for the challenging day. Continence issues are a reason prostate cancer surgery has changed in recent years, and is a reason many men choose other treatment options if available.

Thanks.  I have a feeling though that if I had chosen one of the other options 25 years ago I might be having bigger problems today.

Roy

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

it was nice to see where Downton abbey was filmed.

We were there in 2014! We didn't take a tour, we took a train and taxi (as I recall) from London and did it on our own.  Love Downton Abbey!

We did have a chuckle, in one of the bedrooms someone had left a hair dryer out -- oops! Too bad we couldn't take photos inside 😉  

Downton.thumb.jpg.7ee4916d5cc4ec4358eae1d87970e83a.jpg

• Like 18

@rafinmdyour health issue is a problem many people in our age group have to cope with.  I know a few of my close relatives have had prostate cancer.  

We pray your PET scan is a big help in your diagnosis and that you will be treated quickly for whatever problems they find.  🙏

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@rafinmdyour health issue is a problem many people in our age group have to cope with.  I know a few of my close relatives have had prostate cancer.  

We pray your PET scan is a big help in your diagnosis and that you will be treated quickly for whatever problems they find.  🙏

Adding our prayers for @rafinmdto yours 🙏🏻 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

I like lemonade especially on these warm days of August. A big salute to medical transporters especially during this time.

@Gail & Marty sailing away A very Happy Birthday to you!

The continued rising numbers are very frustrating. Here in Cocoa Beach, there is a Friday Fest once a month. Think street festival. It is a lot of fun and very well attended. I always volunteer at  the library booth along with 2 other ladies. Last night we decided we cant do it, it is just too much risk. Hopefully things will start to turn around soon.

Off to water aerobics. There are just 8 of us and we are very spread out in an outdoor pool.

Stay safe and enjoy today

THANKS

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas where it will be cloudy early then sunny.  The clouds will make today a better day to mow the grass.

Will celebrate all the days, but will celebrate medical transporters especially.

Like the John D. Rockefeller quote, especially since that is what DH did when he started his software company.

Will pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine is one I think I'd like, and I like the price.

We have not been to today's port, but sailed past it when we did our Amazon cruise in 2006.

@cat shepard  Ann, that's good news that you can walk better and without hip pain at the end of the day.  Good food and wine with a friend sounds good.  Don't apologize for the vent.  We have the same situation here, but at least our state supreme court yesterday overturned the governor's ban on mask and vaccine mandates, and he did an about face.

@dfish  Debbie glad the lawn service is working out, and that your neighbor said the plumbing jobs were easy.  Enjoy your lunch with your fellow retirees.

@Gail & Marty sailing away  Happy Birthday, Gail.

@Crazy For Cats  Glad you did not have serious damage.  Hope Henri's path changes again and misses you and @kazu Jacqui.

@mamaofami  Carol, sorry your aide's father died.  Hope the agency can find someone to fill in while she is gone.  I agree about the aide being vaccinated.

Lenda 

THANKS

• Like 6

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DD also found out this month what the results of last spring's State testing results were.  DD's 5th grade math students had an 87% pass rate!  That is outstanding for State tests.  That really helped her school passing rate a lot because unfortunately the other 5th grade math teacher's students had only 54% pass.  Teaching is hard work!

Kudos to your DD.  That is quite the achievement at any time but even more during a pandemic.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

I like lemonade especially on these warm days of August. A big salute to medical transporters especially during this time.

@Gail & Marty sailing away A very Happy Birthday to you!

The continued rising numbers are very frustrating. Here in Cocoa Beach, there is a Friday Fest once a month. Think street festival. It is a lot of fun and very well attended. I always volunteer at  the library booth along with 2 other ladies. Last night we decided we cant do it, it is just too much risk. Hopefully things will start to turn around soon.

Off to water aerobics. There are just 8 of us and we are very spread out in an outdoor pool.

Stay safe and enjoy today

THANKS

• Like 5