The Daily for Sunday September 12, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning Everyone from a very cloudy but warm day at the beach

Our pets do play an important role in our lives. Unfortunately, they are all gone now.   I remember 3 of my grandparents very well, my Dad`s father was killed in an industrial accident when he was only 3. My grandmother who was pregnant at the time raised 9 children on her own. There was no such thing as Workers Comp or other benefits at that time. She was a wonderful and strong lady.

We went out on the boat yesterday on the Banana River. Great day. The only "cruising" we are doing right now.!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 22

Thanks and blessings to all who bring joy to our Daily.

2 years ago today we were touring Quebec for a few days before boarding NCL Gem for a 10 day cruise. Loved Quebec!

I remember all my grandparents. My mom's parents in a Chicago flat and my dad's parents lived in Guthrie, OK. We would take a train from Chicago and my uncle picked us up in Tulsa. Loved gardening with my grandpa and shelling pecans from their trees.

Sandi nice story about your sweet bird. What was her name? 

image.png.9ca860a69d01b315481bf7576155a752.png

I like the recipe today @kazu.  May make it this weekend. 

Blessings,  Cheers and Prayers 

0912191510_HDR.jpg

0912191314a~2.jpg

• Like 27

Joy @Seasick Sailorshe was named Snow White for her color or lack thereof.  Kids were about 5 and 3 when we got her.  When we flew from our California home to our new city in Ohio we stopped to change planes in St. Louis.  Several of our relatives came to the airport to visit while we had our layover there.  Snow White was in a small cage you could fit under the seat in front of you.  She was quiet as a mouse during the long flight to St. Louis but while talking with family in St. Louis she started chirping like she wanted to visit too!  I made a custom fit quilted fabric cover for her cage so she would be in a darkened atmosphere and she didn't embarrass us at all in the airplane by chirping up a storm.  It also helped keep her out of drafts. The trip across country was a huge success. 🕊️

• Like 24

Just back from church. Grandparents, I only knew one but grew up with their ethics through wonderful parents. It’s been years since I had a milk shake or frappe but I would have chosen vanilla with extra malt!

We love being grandparents and love the option of giving them back to their parents!😁

Thanks to Rich and all our Daily friends. Have a great and meaningful week.

• Like 24

Good morning from a sunny central Texas.

@richwmn  Rich, you got me on chocolate milk shakes, even though I haven't had one in many years.  I was fortunate to know three of my grand parents.  My mother's father died about 17 years before I was born.  I still miss them even though they have been gone for about 60 years.  All our fur babies, both cats and dogs, are on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, but we still miss them.

An interesting quote today.  We'll pass on the meal for now.  I like a mojito, but please don't mess with it by adding coconut in any form.  I am not a Chardonnay fan, maybe it's the dirty ashtray -- oops, I mean oak barrel, that turns me off.  I might try an unoaked Chardonnay.

@JAM37  Julia, I'm glad your DH felt well enough to go for a ride.  Just getting out of the house is enough to lift anyone's spirits.  Take it easy on all the projects for a while.

@mamaofami  Carol, how frustrating the waiting for test results to come in.  Hope there is good news when you finally get them.

@grapau27  Graham, the meal looks good.  I've had bangers and mash at pubs in England - yum.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, glad the cough is better.

We have been to Fuerte Amador once as a replacement port on a Panama Canal cruise.  That day we took the train across Panama and a bus back, stopping at the visitors center at the Miraflores Locks.  When we got back, we got a taxi to take us for a tour of Panama City.  All those pictures were posted the first time the Panama Canal was the port of the day.

These are the pictures of Puerte Amador where the tender took us.

IMG_5225.thumb.JPG.2656d520bbf59e0cafb4db74fd83d5be.JPG

IMG_5220.thumb.JPG.cc3fbca062355b5bb3f849b6b69d0400.JPG

Lenda

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@kazuI wonder if what you were saying about your email link not working in your signature has anything to do with the fact the "My Cruising Profile" doesn't work in mine either.  In the past you could click on it and see both a unique listing of the cruises we have taken along with an image of the ships involved.  You could also click on the ports of call tab and see a world map with flagging to the ports we'd seen.  It was amazing.  Only I can see it now when I log into cruise-ships.com which is where you get the ticker.  Now when you click on it here you see nothing.  It's been quite a while since the ticker stopped working.  I've tried everything I know of to fix it.  And there is no way to contact the website's IT department to see if someone there could help.  It seems to be unmonitored as well.

However, I'm glad your email link is working now because you must get a lot of inquiries and contacts from people here on CC.

If your cruising profile was connected to cruise ships.com and there is a link for it, I think I can help.

On the edit signature page, do you see the squiggly line to the left of the smiling face?  Click that

A502FB1C-795B-4F43-93EE-256549CF85CE.thumb.png.8bda187ce16d6d0e3c87a5242ecee721.png

and you will get this.

D5780586-FF59-4AD4-AAB6-F1A1D96843B7.thumb.png.f99bc52554f074fec49b8d1e44b79044.png 

type in your URL link where it says link and on the line that says link text, you can type whatever your want your link to read - ie. our cruising history.

Hope this makes sense?  

Thanks on the email success - it gets used a fair bit on roll calls at times 😉 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Joy, @Seasick Sailorhow are you feeling today?  Did you get any answers yesterday?  I hope whatever they gave you takes care of the problem.

Carol @mamaofamiI hope things are looking better today.  Prayers they get some answers to whatever went wrong yesterday.

Thank you Sandi. I should have results tomorrow. Feeling better. Taking Bactrim..

• Like 15

Good morning all!

We're getting a much-needed dousing this morning (and last night).  It's really feeling like fall now.  I see some fog rolling in now, adding to the mood!

I love chocolate anything, so if I have a milkshake it definitely would be chocolate. I knew all my grandparents, my paternal grandparents were 90 when they passed, and my maternal grandparents lived with us when I was an early teen so even though they passed young (about 72) I knew them well. We had our Grandparents Day yesterday when we had the boys here with us all day.  I sorely miss all my pets who have gone over the rainbow bridge. 

The wine, drink and meal (minus the hot pepper) all sound good today.  Have been through the Panama Canal but don't recall this port.

We finally can begin packing today, we'll fly to Greece in 9 days.  I think this may be the latest we've ever planned/packed.  Part of it is because I still can't believe it's happening, and also because our "packing room" aka guest room, was needed as a guest room Friday night! So I'm excited to get started!

• Like 25

Good Morninng. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

A great quote this morning. I would love a chocolate milk shake and both the meal suggestion and the drink sound wonderful.

I have had the good fortune of sharing time on earth with some wonderful animal partners. They have addes so much to my life and I miss them.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 21

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

If your cruising profile was connected to cruise ships.com and there is a link for it, I think I can help.

On the edit signature page, do you see the squiggly line to the left of the smiling face?  Click that

A502FB1C-795B-4F43-93EE-256549CF85CE.thumb.png.8bda187ce16d6d0e3c87a5242ecee721.png

and you will get this.

D5780586-FF59-4AD4-AAB6-F1A1D96843B7.thumb.png.f99bc52554f074fec49b8d1e44b79044.png 

type in your URL link where it says link and on the line that says link text, you can type whatever your want your link to read - ie. our cruising history.

Hope this makes sense?  

Thanks on the email success - it gets used a fair bit on roll calls at times 😉 

Thank, I'll follow your steps.  I have a link from cruise-ships.com that is supposed to work on boards like CC, but it hasn't been every time I've tried.  Going to check out the squiggly line next to the emoji icon.  Can't hurt to keep trying I guess.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank, I'll follow your steps.  I have a link from cruise-ships.com that is supposed to work on boards like CC, but it hasn't been every time I've tried.  Going to check out the squiggly line next to the emoji icon.  Can't hurt to keep trying I guess.

If you have a link, it should work.

Seems the only way anything works in a signature now is with the link.

My email was by a html code before and that no longer works.  The link did. 😉.   Good luck.  If you need any help, feel free to email me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

If you have a link, it should work.

Seems the only way anything works in a signature now is with the link.

My email was by a html code before and that no longer works.  The link did. 😉.   Good luck.  If you need any help, feel free to email me.

Well, none of that worked.  As soon as I put the link url into the box and click on insert into post, both boxes shown turn pink and absolutely nothing happens no matter how long I sit and watch those pink boxes.  I honestly feel like cruise-ships.com has not updated things on their end since CC has had its updates.  This has happened a couple of times over the years.  I keep trying every other week or so.  It's very frustrating!

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well, none of that worked.  As soon as I put the link url into the box and click on insert into post, both boxes shown turn pink and absolutely nothing happens no matter how long I sit and watch those pink boxes.  I honestly feel like cruise-ships.com has not updated things on their end since CC has had its updates.  This has happened a couple of times over the years.  I keep trying every other week or so.  It's very frustrating!

I just looked at cruise-ships.com and was disappointed. It looks like they have not updated the site in over 5 years, at least the HAL area. They still list Koningsdam as 'Under Construction' and don't list Nieuw Statendam at all. I was also hoping they had the itineraries loaded so the ports would fill in automatically, but that didn't happen for the cruises I added.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

We walked to the Smithsonian Tropical Research Center when visiting Fuerte Amador, and enjoyed a couple hot hours exploring. One interesting find, while there, was a mother sloth and her baby up in the trees (not part of the exhibits). They are presently closed because of covid-19, but worth some time when they reopen.

Punta Culebra | Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (si.edu)

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm getting this as your signature:

Capture.JPG.1a260ba96560c0da63e787d378735ad3.JPG

Roy

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Bummer.  I’ve never seen the lines turn pink.

Looks like it is cruise ships site and not CC from the sounds of things.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Fuerte Amador is the port for Panama City.  It sits at the end of a string of small islands connected by a causeway created from rocks dug in the process of building the Panama Canal.  It is a tender port.  I think I have a few photos from my various trips but will check after church.

Roy

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm getting this as your signature:

Capture.JPG.1a260ba96560c0da63e787d378735ad3.JPG

Roy

Yes, that's all I can post, an image.  In past years you could click on that image and it would take you to a page that showed a list of past and future cruises, images of the ships, and a list of the ports of call on each cruise.

Then you could click on a ports of call tab and it showed a world map with icons on ports of call, past and future.  It's a great way to keep track of all the places you've gone to and the dates, ship information, etc.  

A great tool, if it worked!!  It no longer works properly.

• Like 11

Thanks everyone. I have printed my boarding passes, selected my seats and suitcase is packed. This is my first trip without my service dog in forever. I will miss her. Usually I have driven to ports or taken the train. This will be the most flights and layovers I have experienced in 20 years. And add to that, I have to leave here at 3am to drive over the coastal mountain range to make the 6am flight. Watch out deer, I am coming through.  

• Like 28

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Fuerte Amador is the port for Panama City.  It sits at the end of a string of small islands connected by a causeway created from rocks dug in the process of building the Panama Canal.  It is a tender port.  I think I have a few photos from my various trips but will check after church.

Roy

Adding a bit of a map:

amador.JPG.53b074ea09b037578098d388ea1e468f.JPG

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4