QM balcony (sheltered)

Wake Watcher

Thank you everyone for chiming in. Our TA was able to get us a booking for a BV sheltered balcony on deck 6, a bit forward and not too near the elevators. More underneath the Carinthia Lounge than near KC. We both take a lot of photographs, so we like the idea that we can be on the balcony in spite of rain or wind. Or too much sun! Hey, it could happen.  🙂

We have friends who might book too. They are insisting on Britannia Club, but after looking at the deck plan for the dining options, I wonder if those nooks off the main dining room are that appealing. Is it different food? Better wine list? Or is it mostly about the cabin locations?

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Thank you everyone for chiming in. Our TA was able to get us a booking for a BV sheltered balcony on deck 6, a bit forward and not too near the elevators. More underneath the Carinthia Lounge than near KC. We both take a lot of photographs, so we like the idea that we can be on the balcony in spite of rain or wind. Or too much sun! Hey, it could happen.  🙂

We have friends who might book too. They are insisting on Britannia Club, but after looking at the deck plan for the dining options, I wonder if those nooks off the main dining room are that appealing. Is it different food? Better wine list? Or is it mostly about the cabin locations?

Asi understand it you wontbe able to dine with them if they are in club

41 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Asi understand it you wontbe able to dine with them if they are in club

That's correct. Britannia Club dining spaces were once part of the Britannia restaurant. In the past, the food was the same as Britannia but with some extra choices. The other advantage is that you can dine when you want, not assigned times as in Brittania.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, Underwatr said:

Any sheltered balcony stateroom would be nice. There are some on Deck 4 that will suffer somewhat from noise on Deck 3, particularly in the area of the Royal Court Theatre when performances or rehearsals are going on (the interior staterooms across the hall would seem to have a worse issue). This effect is very localized and just a few places down the hall it is very diminished.

In 2019 I had a stateroom on 4 that was located approximately over the entrance lobby to Illuminations. I never heard any noise from below in that stateroom despite late night movies being shown in Illuminations.

Forward staterooms generally have less engine noise IME so I've always been happy to book a forward stateroom in preference to an aft stateroom.

Do you remember the cabin number as we have a similar position for the March Caribbean cruise.Thanks

On 1/12/2022 at 7:31 AM, Alanxx said:

Do you remember the cabin number as we have a similar position for the March Caribbean cruise.Thanks

We were in 4022. Anything in that general area (and I assume the corresponding starboard cabins) should be quiet.

Just based on walking down the passageway I'd avoid in particular interior cabins 4054, 4050 and 4046 (and perhaps 4042) and the balcony cabins across from them - 4052, 4048, 4044 and 4040, as well as those in the same area on the starboard side. As mentioned, the interior cabins seemed to get it worse than the balcony cabins.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:12 AM, Wake Watcher said:

Hi, has anyone more information on these cabins please?   We have cruised on Victoria, but not familiar with Queen Mary.   Any photos of balcony views would be helpful.   Thanks a lot!

The Queen Mary 2 is my absolute favorite. I have always used a Shelter balcony and my thoughts are they are great. If it rains you can still use them, I love when it is late at night to sit on mine, I bring some battery-operated color lights hang them up in the corner and it is a great feeling. My advice to your is don't pay attention to everyone's suggestion is try it for yourself. You might just like it or be like me and love it.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 12:12 PM, Wake Watcher said:

Hi, has anyone more information on these cabins please?   We have cruised on Victoria, but not familiar with Queen Mary.   Any photos of balcony views would be helpful.   Thanks a lot!

Pictures at the start of my blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/09/15/queen-mary-2s-gallic-discovery/

On 9/19/2021 at 3:01 PM, Cathygh said:

I have booked one of these on the QM short cruise in November. No too bothered at that time of year but it's my first time on QM so we shall see if we would book one again

Stepping on to Queen Mary 2 to me is like stepping into another world- be careful you might just get hooked like the rest of us!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

This is great information and because of all of your inputs we will by booking our first cruise on Cnard in a sheltered balcony!

Cheers

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Tip:  

When sitting on your balcony, take cushions from the sofa to act as seat boosters.  This will give one a better view over the steel balcony frontage.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:46 PM, penlady said:

The Queen Mary 2 is my absolute favorite. I have always used a Shelter balcony and my thoughts are they are great. If it rains you can still use them, I love when it is late at night to sit on mine, I bring some battery-operated color lights hang them up in the corner and it is a great feeling. My advice to your is don't pay attention to everyone's suggestion is try it for yourself. You might just like it or be like me and love it.

I find their being closer to the sea a distinct plus for the sheltered balconies - on which we often sail west home bound after autumn visits to family in England (port side, of course ) generally more usable that time of year than the more open ones on upper decks.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 9:41 PM, MJC said:

It’s a personal choice, for us (now always) Club is worth the small additional, as it’s not much more than a B grade balcony.  Service in Britannia Club is exceptional and one has the same a table (monopoly) with only one sitting (freedom style-take as long as one wishes) for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.  Expanded menus (flambé), a proper cheese trolley (served) not pre plated. And so on…. Wine list is the same

Current Price Example.  
On opening, we booked Club M335B and it was about £480.00 pp more (nett) than a BB

- £480 for 29 nights roughly equates to £16.00 more per night.  A no brainer.

Always consider the Math prior to booking.  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo pp

11 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

It’s a personal choice, for us (now always) Club is worth the small additional, as it’s not much more than a B grade balcony.  Service in Britannia Club is exceptional and one has the same a table (monopoly) with only one sitting (freedom style-take as long as one wishes) for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.  Expanded menus (flambé), a proper cheese trolley (served) not pre plated. And so on…. Wine list is the same

Ditto.....

These are the same reasons we only book Club all the time since being on the QM2. The Dining Room same table and timing was the key factor on our decision. The Extended Menu which is Pre Grill Experience gives us the taste of the next Classes. Not to mention the Flambes and dishes prepared at the table by an Excellent Maitre de.

We agree it's worth it with a possibility of a Upgrade if possible. 

17 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

... The Dining Room same table and timing ....

On 3/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

... Service in Britannia Club is exceptional and one has the same a table (monopoly) with only one sitting (freedom style-take as long as one wishes) for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.  ....

At risk of being off topic, can I ask those with experience; Once Britannia Club table has been allocated is it possible to take any meals in the main Britannia Restaurant?

Although one or two recent photos have suggested otherwise, the main restaurant looks much grander. I'd been thinking we might take Breakfast and/or Lunch there some days and perhaps even dinner the odd time if space was available.

We'd obviously forfeit the other benefits if we did so.

I think any passenger can use the Britannia for breakfast and lunch.

And by arrangement, dinner too - our 2017 table companions were surprised by an upgrade from their usual inside to Queens Grill, but decided to have dinner second sitting in Britannia as the usually did.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, D&N said:

At risk of being off topic, can I ask those with experience; Once Britannia Club table has been allocated is it possible to take any meals in the main Britannia Restaurant?

Although one or two recent photos have suggested otherwise, the main restaurant looks much grander. I'd been thinking we might take Breakfast and/or Lunch there some days and perhaps even dinner the odd time if space was available.

D&N,

You are not off subject, CC is here to help anyone asking a question to better their experience on the Mary 2.

You are not limited to the Club Dining Room for breakfast and lunch, it just the convenience of having a set table and anytime within the time span. We like always to enjoy the Club DR for the additional benefits at dinner.

We have sailed so many times we know how nice the Britannia is and do at time use it for B&L if we want a change.

Just like we like to go to the Kings Court, Pub and Carinthia at time during a long sailing for a change.

Bon Voyage! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, D&N said:

Maitre d’s really want guests to have the best and most enjoyable restaurant experiences.  There will be no problem.

• Thanks 2

On 3/17/2022 at 7:21 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Tip:  

When sitting on your balcony, take cushions from the sofa to act as seat boosters.  This will give one a better view over the steel balcony frontage.

Thanks

Having just got back from a trip in Club, one thing that I've not seen mentioned anywhere else is how much quieter the Club restaurant is than the MDR. There are actually 4 areas to the club; port & starboard each split into two. The forward part being essentially just a partition from the MDR and the aft part, which we were in, a smaller room. Even the Grills restaurants are significantly larger and less intimate (from taking a nosy after hours, not from experience).

The service, as others have mentioned, is impeccable and we never struggled to choose. The extra a la carte options helped with this. The flambé is particularly special.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, P2l said:

one thing that I've not seen mentioned anywhere else is how much quieter the Club restaurant is than the MDR

That was my take on it going by all the photos that can be found online. We'd identified the 4 areas from deck plans. Some of the photos suggest a fairly dull environment (could simply be the lighting). But certainly not as impressive as parts of the MDR.

We've ended up in Club due to having more FCC than expected from bookings cancelled during the non sailing period. We're on a table for 2 but we're not completely antisocial and would perhaps exchange a few words with folk at neighbouring tables as we might do in a land based restaurant.

If you were in the MDR and tucked away in some far flung corner it wouldn't make much difference but I imagine the ambiance is quite pleasant if you can get a table in the central lower section with the high ceiling or even at the edge of the upper level looking down at what all the diners on the lower level are doing! 😂

1 hour ago, D&N said:

That was my take on it going by all the photos that can be found online. We'd identified the 4 areas from deck plans. Some of the photos suggest a fairly dull environment (could simply be the lighting). But certainly not as impressive as parts of the MDR.

We've ended up in Club due to having more FCC than expected from bookings cancelled during the non sailing period. We're on a table for 2 but we're not completely antisocial and would perhaps exchange a few words with folk at neighbouring tables as we might do in a land based restaurant.

If you were in the MDR and tucked away in some far flung corner it wouldn't make much difference but I imagine the ambiance is quite pleasant if you can get a table in the central lower section with the high ceiling or even at the edge of the upper level looking down at what all the diners on the lower level are doing! 😂

Make a written request to dine with an Officer (hosted table) and one may be lucky and receive an invitation to dine at the large central table (Captain’s) lower level.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, P2l said:

Having just got back from a trip in Club, one thing that I've not seen mentioned anywhere else is how much quieter the Club restaurant is than the MDR. There are actually 4 areas to the club; port & starboard each split into two. The forward part being essentially just a partition from the MDR and the aft part, which we were in, a smaller room. Even the Grills restaurants are significantly larger and less intimate (from taking a nosy after hours, not from experience).

The service, as others have mentioned, is impeccable and we never struggled to choose. The extra a la carte options helped with this. The flambé is particularly special.

No going back?

• Haha 1