Stateroom beneath Windjammer - what to expect?

Marga.Anders

Hi,

We booked a GTY balcony on Wonder of the Seas. We got assigned 14712 and saw that it is right beneath windjammer. I have e-mailed customer service to see if they will move us (no reply yet); but just wondering how bad this is purely noisewise? I am a light sleeper. 

Booking a GTY is always a rollling of the dice, so I am not complaining. Just wondering about your experiences so I can buy heavy duty earplugs if necessary 😉

Anytime I was under the buffet on any cruise line I was on there was muffled noise early in the morning. Assuming that you wouldn't be sleeping or in your room much during the day and with the buffet closing at 8 or 9 there shouldn't be a problem at night. When we were on Princess the one time we booked under the, at that time 24hr buffet it was an issue late night after other venues were closing. The real spots to avoid are under the pool deck because they are up there late at night cleaning and early morning setting up. You will hear chairs scraping  across the deck and a lot of noise during the day. The other spot is above the theatre. They rehearse during the day and you will hear all of the performances at night. 

.... carts rolling back and forth .. chairs being pulled in and out ..  foot traffic ..  plates and glasses being dropped ..  and if youre like us, in a balcony cabin on the stern (Jewel of the Seas), with the outdoor Windjammer just above .. stupid kids (or maybe drunks)  thinking it was fun to throw crap down onto the balconies below, like half eaten ice cream cones, cookies, handfuls of salt packets,  cups of soda . .  yea .. very, very  adorable. 

Don't do it. 

Edited by F27TW

I'd keep up with trying to change things.  I had done a suite on a cruise one time and the morning noise was crazy every morning.  The chairs were obviously dragged around, carts being wheeled around and the shuffling of feet; don't forget about things that drop like dishes and pans.  MOVE..... is my best advice to you 😳 🥴😴

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrewFoundLander said:

We had a cabin under the windjammer  and found the noise of the rolling carts very early in the morning as the staff was preparing breakfast to be somewhat annoying. Every morning you could hear the bumping of the wheels over the tile floor.

We had a Jr Suite under Windjammer on Jewel.  The noise from the carts was LOUD, and started EARLY.  As in 4-5:00AM.   We will never book a room under Windjammer again.  Ever.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

We had a Jr Suite under Windjammer on Jewel.  The noise from the carts was LOUD, and started EARLY.  As in 4-5:00AM.   We will never book a room under Windjammer again.  Ever.

We had the same on the Brilliance. It was actually so bad they gave us a FCC.  It didn’t make up for the 12 days of being woken up at 3-4 am by rolling carts across the tile floor over our bed. 

• Like 1

We had a side balcony that we’d hear banging early every morning.  We figured out we were right under some door that the crew used in the windjammer.  I think this was Voyager class.  Afts we don’t hear as much but I’d still take an aft any day for the view. I now bring a sound machine.  I like those top decks for easy access to the pool and windjammer so I still book them and use my white noise machine.

Just general observations….who knows?

Agree with most that's been said here.  Avoid.  We had a JS one cruise and it seemed (by pacing it out) that our stateroom was very near the doors that lead from the dining area into the galley area.  It seemed every night around midnight to 1AM we'd hear carts being rolled for a half hour or so.  Then it stopped.  Not sure what was going on: rolling out dishes etc to preset for the following morning.  We asked to relocate but were told there were no available JS.

13 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

We had the same on the Brilliance. It was actually so bad they gave us a FCC.  It didn’t make up for the 12 days of being woken up at 3-4 am by rolling carts across the tile floor over our bed. 

Same here, we mentioned it to the Diamond lounge concierge and he arranged a FCC for us.

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

Same here, we mentioned it to the Diamond lounge concierge and he arranged a FCC for us.

I will never understand why they put the suites under the noisiest place on the ship. It makes no sense. 

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bouhunter said:

We had a Junior Suite on Jewel too under the Windjammer, we are NOT light sleepers (and I'm partially deaf), but the noise was unbearable.    The rolling of the carts every day and night at all hours.    We were told we were under the galley prep area of the Windjammer, and that's why it was so constant.    We tried to persevere with it for the first week (we were on a  Transatlantic), and then I went to guest services, they called the manager of the Windjammer, he said he would get it stopped, but it didn't, so eventually they gave us another room still on the same floor, but nearer the front of the ship, and also a FCC to compensate.     We did the same trip (TA)a few months later again in a JS on port side at ffont of the ship, and had no problems.      I would suggest avoid if possible, although Wonder might have more soundproofing since its a newer ship.

My guess is you’ll be woken up early. Unable to sleep, you’ll head up on deck and walk a few laps watching the sun rise. Feeling good about yourself from the exercise and beautiful view, you’ll have a big smile on your face as you start the day. Meanwhile, us drunken losers will be zonked out in bed, praying our hangovers will be small ones. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

I’ve stayed in aft cabins on Freedom class ships and never heard a sound. In those cabins you are directly under the carpeted area so that may be the difference. 

If you are under carpet it does make a difference. In general any room just a deck above or below a high traffic public area would be one to avoid especially if you like to spend a lot of time on the balcony.  On Anthem we were directly one deck above Jamie's looking down on the outside eating area. It could have been a disaster in terms of noise if the venue was doing any type of business. Never saw one person eating out there not even once on a 9 day cruise.  

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

There was a belief that suites needed to be on the highest deck. 

That changed with Oasis

Back in the 80's and 90's the higher the deck the higher the price and prestige. I guess that stems back to the days when the wealthy traveling in first class were segregated from the poor immigrants traveling in third class.  Now everyone wants to be mid level to avoid drastic motion.  Personally we prefer the lower decks so we can take the stairs in the evening were we spend most of our time. 

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Back in the 80's and 90's the higher the deck the higher the price and prestige. I guess that stems back to the days when the wealthy traveling in first class were segregated from the poor immigrants traveling in third class.  Now everyone wants to be mid level to avoid drastic motion.  Personally we prefer the lower decks so we can take the stairs in the evening were we spend most of our time. 

I would like to stay up on deck 17 someday

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I would like to stay up on deck 17 someday

The one sound we hear when we go to sleep up in the loft in a CLS  is the sound of wind blowing through the vent above you.  Weird, but relaxing.

Miss it.

• Like 1