Formal night attire

cruise.freak

Carnival changed formal night to " elegant " night about 7 years ago now. For the men business casual mostly passes for elegant. Collared shirts and slacks for men. The better half wears slacks and what she tells me is a "sparkly" top. When she says that I make jazz hands in the cabin as we dress for elegant night. 

jazz.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

My wife and I could not care any less about what other people wear on formal night. We like to get as dressed up as humanly possible. I wear full three piece suit with tie and top hat. My wife wears a beautiful elegant dress. Everyone else can be as boring as they want to be. We dress to impress.

• Like 7

Since I started flying and limiting my packing I've been wearing a polo shirt and dark jeans on elegant night and I haven't felt out of place at all. I think two years ago the people at the table next to me wearing jogging suits had me asking myself "why am I doing this?" So I don't anymore.

• Like 5

On our recent Sunrise cruise I wore a pair of slacks with a button down shirt.  I was probably one of the most dressed one there in the YTD dining room.  There were some in jeans and shorts.  I'm guessing there were some in the other dining room that were more dressed as I did see a couple of suits later in the night.  As someone else mentioned, Carnival hasn't had a "formal" night in years.

• Like 1

Interestingly, I see that John Heald mentioned that someone was complaining to him about under-dressed people on elegant night.  Apparently this person went so far as to suggest security throwing out anyone who didn't meet the standards.

As for me..... decent slacks and a polo are the best they're going to get.

• Like 2

I always wear a dress in the dining room and make my husband wear long pants. I usually opt for a cocktail dress on elegant night and have hubby up his game and wear a tie. But that's mostly for us to feel nice. I don't really mind what others are wearing. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Embem said:

.......and make my husband wear long pants. I usually opt for a cocktail dress on elegant night and have hubby up his game and wear a tie.......

Dang, you've got your husband well trained.  My wife hasn't had such good luck with me.

• Haha 3

From Carnival's web site:

although this is just another rule not enforced

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting. 

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

From Carnival's web site:

although this is just another rule not enforced

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting. 

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

It does say this on the website.  I always emphasize the "not permitted" section, as the recommendations are just that, recommendations.

I will note, though, that although it says that jeans are not permitted, that language is missing in the information to be found on the HUB app and I have always seen a LOT of men in jeans for elegant night.  I think that the standard is really just no shorts (although I've seen those, too).

• Like 1

I always wear a pair of dress pants, usually with a button up shirt and jacket, but will usually wear a polo for the other formal night when there are 2 of them (simply I don't want to wear the same thing twice).

Last time I did see one diner in shorts, but they generally draw the line with shorts and hats. Jeans don't seem to be a problem as long as worn with a polo or jacket, despite being against the rules. In the past I've seen people who showed up underdressed be offered their meals to go if they didn't want to change or directed to the Lido deck.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Prismism said:

We like to get as dressed up as humanly possible. I wear full three piece suit with tie and top hat. My wife wears a beautiful elegant dress. Everyone else can be as boring as they want to be. We dress to impress.

This is Carnival, not the Titanic. Somehow I feel your need or desire to impress may have the opposite effect you desire when the person next to you has gym shorts and a tshirt on. You might get a lot of weird looks. 

• Like 1

Of all the lines that I've cruised Carnival is definitely the most "dressed down" on "dress up" night. I really don't care except that I do draw the line at baseball caps in the dining room. Maybe it's old school, I still think that's out of line in a nice dining room. Not going to spoil my meal for sure, just don't think it belongs in a nicer dining room/restaurant.

• Like 1

Carnival is my favorite cruise line because I found others to be comparatively boring, and I do think that getting dressed up is fun every once in a while.  (ok, I confess I no longer fit into my tuxedo so I will probably just wear a suit with a fun shirt and tie)

They have 2 seatings plus anytime dining in 2 different dining rooms, each with 2 levels.  It seems like they could say something like "we will enforce dress code in dining room A after 8 pm; if you would rather not adhere to the dress code, please use dining room B or dine before 7:30, or we will gladly seat you on the upper level of dining room A" or whatever.  Wouldn't that give almost everyone what they want?

All that said, others not dressing up does not bother me at all.  People should wear what they enjoy wearing when on vacation.

On my last cruise, which was about 7 years ago, the only time I really felt underdressed was at the afternoon tea service.  But it wasn't because we were dressed any differently from any of the other passengers.  Here we were flopping down from the lido deck in our swimsuits and flip flops, being served fancy pots of tea and dainty refreshments by formally dressed staff.  I felt pretty ridiculous.

Edited by zzdoug
  • Haha 1

My take on this is that since Carnival relaxed its' dress codes and also the main dining room table settings I don't see the purpose in dressing up in formal wear when honestly the dining experience is no different than the other nights when you can wear a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. The enjoyment of dressing up and enjoying a fine dining experience encompasses ALL ELEMENTS; Ambiance, decor, food quality, service.  Currently Elegant Night in the main dining rooms of a Carnival ship have NONE of the elements of a fine Dining Experience. A faux Silver Seashell on the table does not make a Formal dining experience special, nor does a waiter getting up on a sideboard and dancing to Ganggam Style. 

Having said that I would GLADLY wear a TUX to dine at Rudi's Seagrill ( On the Mardi Gras) again. Everything about my meal there spoke to a true fine dining experience.  Decor, Ambiance, table settings, service, food presentation and quality.  

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2