Early flight departing FLL from Apex

keesar

Our airline just changed our nonstop flight in February leaving FLL from the afternoon to 10:20 am.   We have TSA Pre and was wondering if we did a self-disembarkment from Apex, is this a flight that we could make?  Our itinerary indicates that the Apex arrives at 7 am.  Thank you for your help.

Agree, you will have plenty of time.  Also, agree with a plan B.  If the ship is late, know what you'll do should you miss your flight.  Recently, trying to get in touch with airlines to alter flights has been a challenge to say the least.  

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Our airline just changed our nonstop flight in February leaving FLL from the afternoon to 10:20 am.   We have TSA Pre and was wondering if we did a self-disembarkment from Apex, is this a flight that we could make?  Our itinerary indicates that the Apex arrives at 7 am.  Thank you for your help.

Yes if you carry off luggage then absolutely no problem.

I cringe when people tell you no problem.  I had one cruise in FLL start disembarkation at 9:30 am.  Never would have made that one!  In fact, that also happened to us on another cruise, that one out of Seattle, so late arrivals are always possible, if not likely.  Also, what worked before Covid days may not work now.  If all goes according to plan, you have a very good chance of making it - I can agree with them on that point.  If the number of cruisers significantly increases later this year (not sure when your cruise is), but Uber and taxi staffing as well as dock workers does not increase as fast it could be an issue.  We are facing the same situation in Tampa on our January flight - they changed it to a 10:30 departure.  We are taking the chance, but considering what our back-up plan will be.

I am in the same situation (albeit for a different ship and sailing).  My airline eliminated the 1:30p flight I scheduled, and auto-booked me on a 10:30a departure (I've got the "blues" over this).  I just got off the phone with Celebrity.  For what it's worth, they don't recommend flight departures out of FLL earlier than 11:30a for my sailing, which is also scheduled to arrive Port Everglades at 7am.

Also take into consideration, day of the week, Saturdays & Sundays are extremely crowed, and how many ships are also docked. 
Last year(3/6/20), the Silhouette docked on time, but immigration had so few officers that we didn’t get of the ship till almost 10:00low number 9 and wheelchair assistance). Luckily our flight was for 11:50, and till arrived at FLL with enough time.

Do some homework!

Hal

25 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Also take into consideration, day of the week, Saturdays & Sundays are extremely crowed, and how many ships are also docked. 
Last year(3/6/20), the Silhouette docked on time, but immigration had so few officers that we didn’t get of the ship till almost 10:00low number 9 and wheelchair assistance). Luckily our flight was for 11:50, and till arrived at FLL with enough time.

Do some homework!

Hal

Exactly.  These are not the "good ole days" when you could almost bet the bank that you could make even a 9:30 flight out of FLL (but as my post above proves, even that was not a 100% guarantee, but probably at least 95%).  We encountered the Customs issue on a recent Millennium cruise (granted, that was Seattle, but staffing issues are across the board).  We got through in plenty of time, but considering how few people were aboard the ship we did not expect to encounter the size of lines we did at the checkpoint.  With the government now requiring vaccinations for governmental employees (and please everyone, let's not get off track with a pro/con argument about that), it is very possible that the staffing will (at least temporarily) be even lower and potentially cause more delays getting through Customs and Immigration.

Edited by phoenix_dream

10 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly.  These are not the "good ole days" when you could almost bet the bank that you could make even a 9:30 flight out of FLL (but as my post above proves, even that was not a 100% guarantee, but probably at least 95%).  We encountered the Customs issue on a recent Millennium cruise (granted, that was Seattle, but staffing issues are across the board).  We got through in plenty of time, but considering how few people were aboard the ship we did not expect to encounter the size of lines we did at the checkpoint.  With the government now requiring vaccinations for governmental employees (and please everyone, let's not get off track with a pro/con argument about that), it is very possible that the staffing will (at least temporarily) be even lower and potentially cause more delays getting through Customs and Immigration.

IMO not worth taking the chance, look what is happening right now with all the Southwest cancellations yesterday and today.

We are an the Apex on 11/04/21, with Delta flight @ 11:39(third time change), will come back and report on how fluid timing was. Arrival back in port is scheduled for 7am, but again it’s on a Saturday, and only three ships are in.

Hal

I don't know if luggage valet is back up...but if you like that service... I am pretty sure 10:20 is too early for that. Personally... I don't like any needless stress the last day of the cruise. The thought of spending my last day at sea strategizing my departure is not the way I want to spend it. Also if the luggage valet service is running..for $25/pp your luggage is taken from the ship to the airline and the next time you see it is when you get off the plane. Now with the pandemic I am not sure this program is working... but if OP is thinking about the timing now.. I have an idea that they might be like me and spend too much time the last day planning the departure.... I would move the flight and buy an extra book for the airport.

It has been my experience, I fly United predominately, that when airlines change itineraries, you are given a choice to accept the revised schedule or to re-schedule at no cost.  

While it is possible to make a 1030 flight if everything goes correct, I am always more comfortable with flights later in the day.  

No one you but you can possibly know what you are comfortable with but yourself so weigh you options and do what you think is right for you. 

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

It has been my experience, I fly United predominately, that when airlines change itineraries, you are given a choice to accept the revised schedule or to re-schedule at no cost.  

While it is possible to make a 1030 flight if everything goes correct, I am always more comfortable with flights later in the day.  

No one you but you can possibly know what you are comfortable with but yourself so weigh you options and do what you think is right for you. 

The next flight for us that day would be at 9 pm.  I also got the "blues" when our early afternoon nonstop flight was changed to mid-morning.  I am considering spending the night in FLL and leaving the next morning at that 10:20 am time slot.

On our last couple of cruises, there were no lines at customs  and we just walked out of the terminal.  Are the old lines back at customs?

You should be fine because:

1) Facial recognition, FLL has it and no other port is faster

2) No long Custom's line, even if you have to see a customs agent, due to the facial recognition the agent line shouldn't be long

3) If you miss your flight the airline will rebook you for free, as long as you book directly with the airline, if you miss your flight, go to ticketing and they'll re-book you for free on the next available flight; particularly a domestic flight...Disclaimer, this applies to almost all airlines but I would recommend double checking the missed flight policy; 3rd party bookings may charge a change/new booking fee even though the airline doesn't charge the 3rd one and also, things can get complicated when trying to rebook a codeshare alliance international flight

It looks to me that there are between 4 and 6 other ships in port with the Apex in February.  Given this amount of cruise ship traffic, almost anything can happen.  Delays getting bags off the ship, long taxi lines, long check-in lines at the airport, long TSA lines, flight cancelations due to winter weather, etc.   It's been my experience that long taxi lines are a particular problem for Terminal 25 because the taxis pass by all of the other terminals before they get to Terminal 25 and they choose to stop at the other terminals.

Good Luck to the OP.

On 10/10/2021 at 7:33 AM, keesar said:

I can help with some timing.  I was on the Edge, and had driven to port., and as one of first passengers off the ship., customs was a breeze, checked passport and .walked right out . down  to a Shuttle  to a Park and Go to get my car, ,then drove to South  Miami.(40 minute dr)   I was not in any hurry and was home at 9:05 AM..  If you order an Uber, they are parked outside the port and only take around 10 minutes to get to the area to be picked up .Cabs are already waiting . You should have no issues  to get to the airport. on time, it is a very short distance.  Safe Travels.

Edited by Missymo
  • Like 1

You don't have much extra time, but terminal 25 will use facial recognition at customs which only takes a few seconds to get through. The only usual slow down is people carrying off who can't physically handle them and struggle the whole way down. We never line up early for carry off. You can wait 15 minutes later and walk right off the ship. Maybe try to pre-schedule an Uber or car, although we never have much luck with prescheduled Ubers. 

I would do it as long as you aren't a high stress traveler who can't handle potential for a hiccup. 

8 hours ago, Missymo said:

I can help with some timing.  I was on the Edge, and had driven to port., and as one of first passengers off the ship., customs was a breeze, checked passport and .walked right out . down  to a Shuttle  to a Park and Go to get my car, ,then drove to South  Miami.(40 minute dr)   I was not in any hurry and was home at 9:05 AM..  If you order an Uber, they are parked outside the port and only take around 10 minutes to get to the area to be picked up .Cabs are already waiting . You should have no issues  to get to the airport. on time, it is a very short distance.  Safe Travels.

But when was this?  And what will happen when passenger load increases considerably but possibly taxi and Uber staffing does not?  Or when there are fewer TSA and Customs agents now that full vaccination is required?  I don't doubt it worked for you.  But things are changing rapidly and what worked getting off a lower capacity cruise in the past (even recent past) may not work for a cruise 2 or 3 or more months from now when presumably (hopefully!!) many more people are cruising.

It's also a bit frustrating to me when people who are driving home decide to do walk-off first thing and slow down those who are hurrying to meet early flights.    It would be nice if locals would show a little consideration and let those trying to catch early flights disembark first.  Maybe in your case it didn't really matter and I don't know your situation so this is not directed at you personally.  Just expressing frustration at what I've seen in the past when people trying to catch early flights were waiting in huge lines trying to disembark.  It's hard enough to catch early flights - I'd like to put out a heartfelt plea to people not needing to disembark right away to please, please wait a little bit.  

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

But when was this?  And what will happen when passenger load increases considerably but possibly taxi and Uber staffing does not?  Or when there are fewer TSA and Customs agents now that full vaccination is required?  I don't doubt it worked for you.  But things are changing rapidly and what worked getting off a lower capacity cruise in the past (even recent past) may not work for a cruise 2 or 3 or more months from now when presumably (hopefully!!) many more people are cruising.

It's also a bit frustrating to me when people who are driving home decide to do walk-off first thing and slow down those who are hurrying to meet early flights.    It would be nice if locals would show a little consideration and let those trying to catch early flights disembark first.  Maybe in your case it didn't really matter and I don't know your situation so this is not directed at you personally.  Just expressing frustration at what I've seen in the past when people trying to catch early flights were waiting in huge lines trying to disembark.  It's hard enough to catch early flights - I'd like to put out a heartfelt plea to people not needing to disembark right away to please, please wait a little bit.  

I understand your frustration but, First of all ,i got off the Edge last week.  Second,ly I did not do walk off, nor did I ask for walk off,  I was in a suite and was given a low disembark number and suite guests were not allowed to disembark until walk offs were off the ship.  Also now that  Celebrity does not make you fill out any declarations (unless over $10,000) to get off the ship.  You pick up your luggage and get in line to show your passport.  It makes it much easier and much faster to get out of the terminal.  As far as transportation,, I've been told cabs and uber are very accessible., the airport is very close,  I showed 40 minutes transportation , even though Ft Lauderdale Airport is only 3 miles away from Port Everglades.. Even if ship is full, if OP does a walk off, they will have no issue getting to the airport early..

13 minutes ago, Missymo said:

I understand your frustration but, First of all ,i got off the Edge last week.  Second,ly I did not do walk off, nor did I ask for walk off,  I was in a suite and was given a low disembark number and suite guests were not allowed to disembark until walk offs were off the ship.  Also now that  Celebrity does not make you fill out any declarations (unless over $10,000) to get off the ship.  You pick up your luggage and get in line to show your passport.  It makes it much easier and much faster to get out of the terminal.  As far as transportation,, I've been told cabs and uber are very accessible., the airport is very close,  I showed 40 minutes transportation , even though Ft Lauderdale Airport is only 3 miles away from Port Everglades.. Even if ship is full, if OP does a walk off, they will have no issue getting to the airport early..

That's great,  were there 4 to 6 other ships in port?