The Daily for Monday October 11, 2021

richwmn

Today is It's Boston Marathon Day, My Party Day, Kraken Day, and Thanksgiving Day (Canada)
As incorrectly mentioned yesterday, today is also (depending on where you are) Native American Day, Indigenous Peoples' Day, and Columbus Day

The difficulty in life is the choice. - George A. Moore

Meal suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Turkey Chili

Drink of the Day - Ward 8

Wine of the day - Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Rufina Riserva - Italy - Red

Destination of the Day - Dakar Senegal

Ships with Passengers

Puerto Vallarta
Nieuw Amsterdam Jalisco, Mexico Riviera 07:00 - 17:00

Rhodes Island, Greece
Eurodam 00:00 - 18:00

Santa Catalina Island CA, Avalon
Koningsdam California 07:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta MX
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam

Scheveningen
Rotterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage1011Europe.thumb.png.772a6474cbc7c9f3c0af17ead670e74d.png

1011NAmerica.thumb.png.e8fa0d42bc906e588569e31f9776f9ef.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for the Holiday Monday, Rich.  I'll salute Indigenous people's day, not sure about My Party Day and Kraken Day.  Hoping for a safe Boston Marathon and wishing our Canadian Dailyites a great Thanksgiving.  I was supposed to visit Dakar on my 2014 Amsterdam World Cruise segment but it was cancelled due to Ebola.   I like the Moore quote and the menu selection.  My alternative is Banana, Papaya, and Blueberry Fruit Cocktail, Rack of Veal, and Carrot Cake as served on MS Amsterdam October 11, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes11.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
dfish nephews kids covid  positive
cruisin single’s grandson mental issues
Quartzite Cruisers antivax neighbors
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Occasional contributors including 12cruise2
3 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy / NextOne,12cruise2/ AncientWanderer,  Sharon, and lazey1  at sea
recovery of smitty34877's family
Welcome home Crazy for Cats
ger_77in Calgary
New care giver for Sam
Columbus Day, Indigenous People’s Day, and Thanksgiving Weekend
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Thanksgiving.

An interesting collection of days.  Good luck to everyone participating in the Boston Marathon.  My Party Day sounds like fun.   Kraken Day sounds scary.

Thoughtful quote.

The meal sounds good, I'll save the recipe for another day.

I've never heard of the drink of the day - hope it's tasty.   I'm sure I'll like the wine.🙂

It's still warm here, today's high should be 24C (75F), and for that, I'm thankful. 

Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.   Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone!

Our forecasted high today is 81.   It is hard to believe this is mid October!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canadian friends.

54849f9c870936aa4345ec4ed197875b-thanksgiving-pictures-thanksgiving-quotes.jpg.524628485fb3ae208374d2f3f90b2637.jpg

And here's a suggestion for those of you who have to bring a side:

when-they-tell-you-to-bring-sides-for-thanksgiving-dinner.jpg.f4995a4fa492526a95c7e457b8bb6ed1.jpg

Today's meal is an advanced peek at what all the Thanksgiving celebrants can have for dinner the rest of the week.  You don't have to use ground turkey in this, you can use shredded turkey.   The slow cooker gives all the flavors time to blend.

This first recipe claims to be the healthy one.   You can decide.

https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/slow-cooker-turkey-chili/

Turkey-Chili-2-650x841.thumb.jpg.aa069ff647df1a3940843cda2bd5ce14.jpg

The Pioneer Woman gives us her take on things.  She says add some corn for a pop.  https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a36984320/slow-cooker-turkey-chili-recipe/

slow-cooker-turkey-chili-recipe-1627569769.thumb.jpg.c2a9dd11a8c3a8492a91d761f134e48b.jpg

And this one offers some suggestions for variations.  By the end of the week you'll want to change things up with all that left over turkey.  https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/slow-cooker-turkey-chili/

slow-cooker-turkey-chili-15.thumb.jpg.61b206f0b37b8eb63dfae74e060047b3.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the care, celebrations and shout out lists.

Unusual days today.

Congratulations for Boston the world's  oldest Marathon on its 125th year.

My party days are well behind me.

Not interested in Kraken dealing.

I do not like today's quote.

Will miss on today's drink and food.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Holiday Monday, Rich.  I'll salute Indigenous people's day, not sure about My Party Day and Kraken Day.  Hoping for a safe Boston Marathon and wishing our Canadian Dailyites a great Thanksgiving.  I was supposed to visit Dakar on my 2014 Amsterdam World Cruise segment but it was cancelled due to Ebola.   I like the Moore quote and the menu selection.  My alternative is Banana, Papaya, and Blueberry Fruit Cocktail, Rack of Veal, and Carrot Cake as served on MS Amsterdam October 11, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/dishes11.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
dfish nephews kids covid  positive
cruisin single’s grandson mental issues
Quartzite Cruisers antivax neighbors
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Occasional contributors including 12cruise2
3 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Cruising-along, Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy / NextOne,12cruise2/ AncientWanderer,  Sharon, and lazey1  at sea
recovery of smitty34877's family
Welcome home Crazy for Cats
ger_77in Calgary
New care giver for Sam
Columbus Day, Indigenous People’s Day, and Thanksgiving Weekend
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank You for both lists Roy.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I'm confused about Boston Marathon Day as I am sure it is usually run the third Monday in April. A salute to all the other days, especially Native Americans and Indigenous People.

Happy Thanksgiving to our northern neighbors. 

I like the quote and meal.

It is forecasted that we are done with rain until Saturday. It may take that long for the mountains to dry. But we are thankful we get plenty of rain.

Off to get a second cup of coffee and see if Ann or Colin have posted on the Live thread. They are doing an excellent job sharing their journeys.

Have a great day.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 20

Happy Thanksgiving Canadian neighbors. 

Prayers and Toasts to our lists.  Pleased to see the celebration list so long.

So sorry for the passengers who lost their flights yesterday.  Hope no one missed their cruise.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Ward 8:

Ingredients
2 ounces rye whiskey
1/2 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce orange juice, freshly squeezed
2 teaspoons grenadine
Garnish: 2 or 3 speared cherries

Steps
Add the rye whiskey, lemon and orange juices and grenadine to a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with speared cherries.

Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at 7.58.53 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

I'm confused about Boston Marathon Day as I am sure it is usually run the third Monday in April. A salute to all the other days, especially Native Americans and Indigenous People.

Delayed this year for the Pandemic.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone. Happy Thanksgiving day to our Canadian friends.

I’m up early today to get ready for our new aide. Hopefully this one will work for us since we’ve now had five and the one we really liked hasn’t been heard from since she left for Ghana for her father’s funeral.

Much to do. Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 25

Good morning from Puerto Vallarta! Just arrived. If Noordam is here it must be on our port side.

Today we are taking a Hal Mexican cooking tour which I’m sure includes more  margaritas!

Last night we had a in suite dinner party complete with appetizers and dinner. Nice reunion with a couple we had cruised with before. Nice but to much extra work for crew so we will probably not do that again.

So far we are having a perfect cruise. I just can’t find anything worth complaining about. We are just having a grand time.

Have a great day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s report Rich.  I had no idea until yesterday that today is the marathon, I guess that I forgot that it had been rescheduled.  No parties, no tears here today.  In celebration of Kraken Day we’ll have to order calamari for lunch.  Happy Thanksgiving to all of our Canadian friends, enjoy your dinners.  The quote is so true especially standing in front of the buffet on a BHB.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious but I think tonight is chicken stew.  Never been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  

• Like 21

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Happy Thanksgiving to our wonderful neighbors to the North!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Monday smile 🙂 

to all of our American friends:

2F03B287-7F8D-4279-90DA-BAD073C752A8.gif.4dd6aa62e37ccd510a9e7c1d6ea7b920.gif

and to all my Canadian friends:

E21C11F5-19C6-44AB-A710-C5DE3577F302.gif.27bfec38d49bad8a7b6e106661438a6b.gif

I like the Moore quote.  Choice is so important in everything we do.

Nice to see a menu for left over turkey in the recommendation today.  We certainly have lots of leftovers here 😉  Like some people we had our Thanksgiving dinner last night as the weather is promising today and I didn’t want to be stuck in the kitchen.  I decided this strategy wouldn’t work for Thanksgiving dinner 😉 

E55907B1-25F3-4874-8835-4A1048C67C56.jpeg.65f63ee9efb34cc378278e806585f620.jpeg

@aliaschief so glad to hear your cruise is going so well and you are enjoying it 🙂 

@mamaofamigood luck with the new aide.  I sure hope they work out 🙏🏻 

Well today is going to be a busy one trying to get too much done today.  I have a list.  We’ll see how much I can get crossed off.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone no matter what day / celebration it may be for you.

214DE648-19B6-4AA7-9DC0-ADD292D1059A.jpeg.d0af2b3c98e40ef54a66fc82db6fb658.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Kraken Day is also known as Myths and Legends Day.

Krakens come from Scandanavian folklore. Nordic sagas say kraken live off the coasts of Norway and Greenland and terrorize the sailors of the area. Krakens have been a legend for centuries, with Nordic sailors long telling tales about them. The beasts were described in detail around 1250 CE, in the Konungs skuggsjá,, an Old Norwegian natural history written by an anonymous author who had returned from Greenland. Carl von Linné  of Sweden included krakens in the first edition of his systematic natural catalog, Systema Naturae, published in 1735.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A special collection of days! “B Strong”!

Had to look up Kraken Day, another Norse gift to the world. Somehow calling them octopus & squid seems too tame. 

Happy Thanksgiving to Our Canadian family members!

Roy, thank you for taking care of our lists! Morning Dailyite family!
A brief shower greeted Bindi and I this morning, but it had stopped by the time we reached the driveway. The weather really has been lovely, and I am hoping it is not lulling us into a false sense of security. We still have quite a bit of this year’s hurricane season left. 

Off to a gym class then getting together with family. Not sure what we will end up doing. Too beautiful a day to waste.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Frescobaldi Nipozzano Chianti Rufina Riserva

A full bodied Chianti with excellent ratings and a very reasonable price. Every vintage has excellent ratings, so you can’t go wrong. I used the 2017 reviews and prices here. Online prices for the 2017 vintage start at $14.93.

Winemaker Notes

This firm, rich red shows the freshness of the appellation in a hot, ripe year like 2017. It’s full-bodied with chewy tannins and a long, flavorful finish. Fine tannins. Dried mushroom, walnut and bark undertones to the ripe berries. Solid wine.

JS92 James Suckling

This firm, rich red shows the freshness of the appellation in a hot, ripe year like 2017. It’s full-bodied with chewy tannins and a long, flavorful finish. Fine tannins. Dried mushroom, walnut and bark undertones to the ripe berries. Solid wine.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast

Combining structure and finesse, this has subtle but intriguing aromas of camphor, rose and sunbaked earth. On the taut, juicy palate, fine-grained tannins accompany dried cherry, orange zest and star anise before a coffee-bean finish. Editor's Choice

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6