Need cruise line/ship ideas for a picky eater

atexsix

We were on a HAL Alaska sailing last month and my 83 year old Dad was with me, he's got to be the world's pickiest eater, there was nothing for him to eat, even the children's menu was of no help....UGHHH!  I think he survived for 7 days on nothing but ice cream and lemonade.  The cruise wasn't all that relaxing, I was constantly perusing menus trying to come up with ideas or reasonable substitutions.  I've only sailed HAL and don't know what's out there, but I think we need to try somebody else, for my sanity at the very least.  He's not a steak and lobster person, the type of food we're looking for is sort of like Midwest comfort food:

-lots of fried chicken (white meat)

-turkey and mashed potatoes

-pot roast with gravy

-lots of soup choices

-blt's w/ french fries

-beef stroganoff, orange chicken w/ rice, or chicken marsala (hold the mushrooms) are about as fancy as he gets

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We were on a HAL Alaska sailing last month and my 83 year old Dad was with me, he's got to be the world's pickiest eater, there was nothing for him to eat, even the children's menu was of no help....UGHHH!  I think he survived for 7 days on nothing but ice cream and lemonade.  The cruise wasn't all that relaxing, I was constantly perusing menus trying to come up with ideas or reasonable substitutions.  I've only sailed HAL and don't know what's out there, but I think we need to try somebody else, for my sanity at the very least.  He's not a steak and lobster person, the type of food we're looking for is sort of like Midwest comfort food:

-lots of fried chicken (white meat)

-turkey and mashed potatoes

-pot roast with gravy

-lots of soup choices

-blt's w/ french fries

-beef stroganoff, orange chicken w/ rice, or chicken marsala (hold the mushrooms) are about as fancy as he gets

Thank you!

Though the bulk of the ever-changing daily  menu items might seem exotic to him, Oceania offers a constant set of basic “comfort” items that should please even the most boring palates. 
That said, really do consider Oceania. Being known for the “finest cuisine at sea” includes reasonable accommodation of picky eaters. Contact special services regarding your “challenge” and connect with the F&B manager once on board to see just how boring (yet still delicious) they can get (though just for him). Also, know that all specialty restaurants on O ships are included at no extra charge (and among them, they do have an excellent somewhat “meat and potatoes” grill that doesn’t just do beef).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though the bulk of the ever-changing daily  menu items might seem exotic to him, Oceania offers a constant set of basic “comfort” items that should please even the most boring palates. 
That said, really do consider Oceania. Being known for the “finest cuisine at sea” includes reasonable accommodation of picky eaters. Contact special services regarding your “challenge” and connect with the F&B manager once on board to see just how boring (yet still delicious) they can get (though just for him). Also, know that all specialty restaurants on O ships are included at no extra charge ( and the do have an excellent steak house).

Thank you! Oceania is actually one we were considering along with Cunard because they'll do special requests, but we'd have to book one of the grills ($$$$$).

Crystal is another I would look at.  Most of the luxury lines bend over backward to please picky palates.  But I agree that Carnival is a good choice.  They specialize in comfort food.  Go over to the Carnival board and explain your problem, ask for people to post menus (some already have...).  EM

• Like 1

Just now, atexsix said:

Thank you! Oceania is actually one we were considering along with Cunard because they'll do special requests, but we'd have to book one of the grills ($$$$$).

There’s no “class system” on O ships. Everyone in every cabin class has access to all dining venues. And even the casual Terrace Grill has a wide variety of options nightly including several “a la minute” preparations.

• Like 2

All good suggestions and all these cruise lines are available to us.  I actually thought ships that catered to a lot of children would offer more every dayish type choices: hot dogs, pizza, etc. 

I don't know where HAL chefs get the idea that children preferred strawberry jam over grape jelly, which they wouldn't let us substitute, I'm like really, after forking over $3,000 for this cruise?!  They had chicken and when I asked if it was white meat I was assured it was....it wasn't!

22 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps. But, then you’d have to eat the food.

(Just kidding [OR am I?]😉)

My previous post may have sounded like a joke, but the moment that the OP mentioned comfort food and I read his list, it sounded like what he can easily find on Carnival.

I know that a lot of people like to “look down” at Carnival, thinking that it’s a lesser product. But it may be what the OP needs for his dad . 😀

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tapi said:

My previous post may have sounded like a joke, but the moment that the OP mentioned comfort food and I read his list, it sounded like what he can easily find on Carnival.

I know that a lot of people like to “look down” at Carnival, thinking that it’s a lesser product. But it may be what the OP needs for his dad . 😀

A cruise more than just food. So, I’d advise the OP to assemble a short list of lines/ships that have the itineraries and ship board experiences s/he prefers (including overall food quality) and then select the one that can accommodate the pickiness best.

• Thanks 1

The old dude must be very difficult to satisfy.  If between the cafeteria-style  Lido and the pretty varied regular menu - not to mention the special requests I have generally had little problem getting fulfilled - he may just have exasperated the HAL staff - who have generally been  very accommodating. I have never sailed on any mass market ship which could not offer (at least for some meals every day) pizza, hotdogs and hamburgers.

I would not ordinarily recommend Carnival or NCL to anyone - but they seem to have been regularly able to come up with the kind of blah sustenance requested.

• Like 1

HAL has a very good club sandwich on their room service menu. I would think they could serve that anywhere on the ship. You could always ask them to hold the turkey and then it would be a BLT😃

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The old dude must be very difficult to satisfy.  If between the cafeteria-style  Lido and the pretty varied regular menu - not to mention the special requests I have generally had little problem getting fulfilled - he may just have exasperated the HAL staff - who have generally been  very accommodating. I have never sailed on any mass market ship which could not offer (at least for some meals every day) pizza, hotdogs and hamburgers.

I would not ordinarily recommend Carnival or NCL to anyone - but they seem to have been regularly able to come up with the kind of blah sustenance requested.

I had the same thought. I've not cruised all that much but maybe four or five different lines. If I would criticize anything it's that the food can be more like what "Dad" would like than I would. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That said, really do consider Oceania. Being known for the “finest cuisine at sea” includes reasonable accommodation of picky eaters. Contact special services regarding your “challenge” and connect with the F&B manager once on board to see just how boring (yet still delicious) they can get (though just for him). Also, know that all specialty restaurants on O ships are included at no extra charge (and among them, they do have an excellent somewhat “meat and potatoes” grill that doesn’t just do beef).

I loved the food on our Oceania cruise! But if Dad thought Hal was too exotic in the food department Oceania would make his head spin. Both honor special request but the presentation may be a deterrent on both lines.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I loved the food on our Oceania cruise! But if Dad thought Hal was too exotic in the food department Oceania would make his head spin. Both honor special request but the presentation may be a deterrent on both lines.

Here’s another option: leave him home on, at least, every other cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I would check Norwegian. They have a "pub" style eatery called O'Sheehans that has basic comfort food available 24/7.  It's complimentary.

I hunted up this description of O'Sheehans and it sounds very much like what the OP was hunting for:

"Lunch, dinner and late-night menu items consist of slightly varying pub food favorites: wings, spinach and artichoke dip, nachos, burgers, grilled chicken sandwiches, fish and chips and chicken potpie. Dinner specials, such as pot roast or prime rib, are occasionally served on select evenings throughout the cruise."

More info here (including which NCL ships have one:   O'Sheehan's Neighborhood Bar & Grill on Norwegian Cruise Line (cruisecritic.com)

I don't think the OP was looking for a solution where they'd have to review menus and talk to chefs every day but rather one where there were various options that would suit his dad's tastes and were readily available.

• Like 1

Seems you are looking for the "Norman Thayer" picky food diet.  While I might find a diet of ice cream appealing, even I have to admit that isn't the greatest option.   I'm surprised the mainstream line buffets would not have options suitable for Dad.  Or that the MDR wouldn't have something like a chicken breast w/ mashed on the daily menu.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Seems you are looking for the "Norman Thayer" picky food diet.  While I might find a diet of ice cream appealing, even I have to admit that isn't the greatest option.   I'm surprised the mainstream line buffets would not have options suitable for Dad.  Or that the MDR wouldn't have something like a chicken breast w/ mashed on the daily menu.  

That surprises me also. And not having to meet with anyone to get things like that.  When we did our first cruises I actually referred to the MDR-type food as LCD - lowest common denominator. When feeding the 'masses' they couldn't get too bold.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clo said:

That surprises me also. And not having to meet with anyone to get things like that.  When we did our first cruises I actually referred to the MDR-type food as LCD - lowest common denominator. When feeding the 'masses' they couldn't get too bold.

Yeah, I have to agree.  They are feeding a couple thousand folk.  And, considering that, I think they do a pretty decent job.  

I think maybe Dad's issue, which I have to sadly admit I might sometimes (often?)  be guilty of, is not wanting to try something he isn't used to.   Understandable and I say you eat what you want Dad!  😀

Good on the OP for helping his Pops enjoy the cruise.   

• Like 3