The Daily for Tuesday November 02, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser,those are incredible  pictures DH took yesterday but then again I always enjoy your pictues.Both of you are very talented  photographers. 

Terry, thank you   DH worked his way through college as a photographer for all the student publications at UT.  He even had a series of shots of a touchdown run that was published in Sports Illistrated in 1967.  As for me, I point and shoot, and take a lot of pictures, so something is bound to turn out okay.  Also, my computer has a program that can correct a lot of goofs and make pictures look better.  😀

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda, love the pretty sunset photos.  There's just something about those pink, purple and blue colors mixed in the sky.  

And I can't blame Linda M. for being happy to be in her home town and seeing her Mom and sister.  She travels everywhere else most of the year so a chance to have them come on to the ship must be a special treat for her.  Hope she's doing well and still working for HAL.  

Sandi, thank you for the nice comments.  We get pretty sunsets in Texas, but there is something about the sunsets in Quartzsite that brings out all the nice colors.

Linda M. was very excited that her mother and sister were coming to the ship.  Sadly, her sister died in 2019, and she had to miss the last cruise(s) on the Prinsendam.

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

I am really excited about my next cruising. I will board the Rotterdam December 1 but just learned that my son from Mobile will be able to join me on the Christmas and New Year segment. And now my sister is talking about joining me on my Alaska cruise. It will be so fun to have family to share with. I feel that cruising on HAL is a real blessing as even though I was traveling alone, the crew made me feel like family. It is one of the special things that make cruising fun. 

I'm excited that you're excited about your upcoming cruises and cruising in general.  It's a great way to travel, and yes, HAL crews have a way of making you feel at home and part of the HAL family.  I've never found that on anothe cruise line.  Such great news that you DS is joining you for your holiday cruise.  Sending good thoughts that you sister decides to join you in Alaska.  🤞

Lenda

PS: Our plans to stay at home today changed, but I'm definitely not complaining.  It is such a nice day, mostly sunny, not too hot, with a slight breeze.  We decided to take the Polaris RZRs out for a run in the desert on the backroads and trails.  It was supposed to be a short ride, but we were gone about an hour.  Now, I know we are here and settled.  Just getting out in the desert with the cactus and other desert plants was a morale booster.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25

7 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

After reading the thread on problems disembarking in San Diego, we have changed our return flight to the following day. Originally we had thought an 11:05 am flight would be fine as we have sailed from San Diego two times before and a flight at that time wasn't a problem upon returning.

You made a very wise decision, one I wish I had made! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

Good days. We remember all souls departed. I love deviled eggs. Not sure about looking for circles.

Funny quote.

I like the meal. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's destination. Thanks for the pictures.

It's mid-40's here and sunny. It's supposed to be dry all week, so I'll get the lawn mowed and leaves cleared away in a few days. Even though I've been very careful, I had a PCR test done at CVS (drive through) this morning because of the sore throat and nasal stuffiness.

@bdrcole You must be so happy to be finishing radiation today. Wonderful about the good prognosis.

@msmayor So sweet about the elderly couple cruising.

@ger_77 That's great about the nesting poles. One of our eagle couples in a local park just had their nest tree fall in recent storms; that also happened to the eagle nest near me a few years ago.

@dfish Also here the bars and state stores were closed until the polls closed, but that has changed in the last few years.

@grapau27 Thinking of you and Pauline on this memorable day, both sad and happy events.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Have a great time in Mexico!

@summer slope So sorry you're not feeling well today.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Wonderful sunset pictures!

@lindaler Family joining you on a cruise is great. And good for you for speaking up to that guy.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. Sadly we've just had a 3rd police officer die of Covid in the last month.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

Good days. We remember all souls departed. I love deviled eggs. Not sure about looking for circles.

Funny quote.

I like the meal. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's destination. Thanks for the pictures.

It's mid-40's here and sunny. It's supposed to be dry all week, so I'll get the lawn mowed and leaves cleared away in a few days. Even though I've been very careful, I had a PCR test done at CVS (drive through) this morning because of the sore throat and nasal stuffiness.

@bdrcole You must be so happy to be finishing radiation today. Wonderful about the good prognosis.

@msmayor So sweet about the elderly couple cruising.

@ger_77 That's great about the nesting poles. One of our eagle couples in a local park just had their nest tree fall in recent storms; that also happened to the eagle nest near me a few years ago.

@dfish Also here the bars and state stores were closed until the polls closed, but that has changed in the last few years.

@grapau27 Thinking of you and Pauline on this memorable day, both sad and happy events.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Have a great time in Mexico!

@summer slope So sorry you're not feeling well today.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Wonderful sunset pictures!

@lindaler Family joining you on a cruise is great. And good for you for speaking up to that guy.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. Sadly we've just had a 3rd police officer die of Covid in the last month.

Thank you JazzyV for your kind thoughts and words.

Graham.

• Like 9

Good afternoon everyone!  Late to today's party, had some relaxing to do because if a headache last night and then odds and ends around the house.  Just emailed HAL about our missing tiles from our August 28th cruise.  They were supposed to be mailed to us but here it is 2 months later and nothing. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich and the lists Roy.  Prayers to those on the Care list.

We have been to St Kitts/Nevis twice, in 1999 and then 2000.  The first time Craig took a helicopter tour that included Nevis, he said it was amazing.  Then we ate lunch at a restaurant that sounds like where @ger_77ate.  The second time we did the fortress tour and if I remember correctly the road up has lots of monkeys and the driver would stop each time he saw a monkey.  Our pictures are buried somewhere.  St Kitts/Nevis is on our itinerary for December and we are still on the fence about going, time to make a decision.  So many factors to consider, mostly we didn't realize Craig would still be working at this time. 

I've tried to make jerk chicken before but it didn't come out right, not spicy enough, and I prefer Southwest style tacos anyway.  For some reason circles make me think of UFO's but I must prefer thinking of wine in relation to circles.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24

4 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We have been to St Kitts/Nevis twice, in 1999 and then 2000.  The first time Craig took a helicopter tour that included Nevis, he said it was amazing.  Then we ate lunch at a restaurant that sounds like where @ger_77ate.  The second time we did the fortress tour and if I remember correctly the road up has lots of monkeys and the driver would stop each time he saw a monkey.  Our pictures are buried somewhere. 

Until DH found his videos of St. Kitt's I had forgotten about the monkeys.  When we stopped at Turtle Beach for a beer, the monkeys were all over the place.  I don't remembe thne being too much of a  pest, but then that was 22 1/2 years ago.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 17

Can't believe these pics are from my birthday several years ago.  That was my second time touring with Mr. Grey.  And I confess I knew little about Alexander Hamilton prior to my visit to Nevis.  This was a while before the hit musical came along.

I know I have photos from a more recent sailing but they aren't on this laptop.  I've tried to keep all my pics in separate albums, but I appear to be missing some.  Maybe they're on a thumb drive somewhere!  I can't even remember the ship or the date.  Ah.  Here's one I had saved on my FB page looking from the pool of my Secret Place toward Mt Nevis.

No photo description available.

2013-11-17-091724_11101634334_o.jpg

2013-11-17-164012_11101730993_o.jpg

2013-11-17-152250_11101549155_o.jpg

2013-11-17-164426_11101551835_o.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bdrcole said:

I would like to sincerely thank everyone that sent me good wishes upon completion of my radiation treatments today. My prognosis is very good as the cancer was caught at Stage 2 and it was confined to the prostate. (there is something to be said for yearly medicals and PSA tests) CT & Bone scans were clear and both the Urinary and Radiation Oncologists give me a 99% chance of being cancer free after 10 years.

I look at this as a minor bump in the road and I'm very grateful for the excellent care I have received since I was diagnosed 5 months ago.

What wonderful news!  Congratulations!

• Like 12

6 hours ago, bdrcole said:

I would like to sincerely thank everyone that sent me good wishes upon completion of my radiation treatments today. My prognosis is very good as the cancer was caught at Stage 2 and it was confined to the prostate. (there is something to be said for yearly medicals and PSA tests) CT & Bone scans were clear and both the Urinary and Radiation Oncologists give me a 99% chance of being cancer free after 10 years.

I look at this as a minor bump in the road and I'm very grateful for the excellent care I have received since I was diagnosed 5 months ago.

Praises for you! That is fantastic news!

• Like 12

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I am staying inside for awhile waiting for the rain to stop and the sun to come out so I can do some yard work.  Pressure washed my garage roof yesterday to remove moss and was surprised at how well it came out.  The remark "Surely you jest" brought back some memories of my Navy career.  I was both enlisted and an officer in the Navy.  As an enlisted person, if you disagreed with what someone stated, you might say "You gotta be s******g me!"  When I became an officer and a gentleman, the proper response was "surely you jest, sir!"

"Sir, my eye, sir"  😄

• Like 3

Many thanks to all for prayers.  My WTC  monitoring exam went sort of okay.  Had to be there at 8:30 and it was pouring rain while I drove in to Grand Junction.  Then when it was complete I had to drive back to where I live to get my chest x-ray at our local very small hospital!!!!!  It is always different one way or another with that exam.  Because of COVID protocols, I couldn’t have a pulmonary function test.  Hope what tests I had will suffice for the company in charge of keeping the results.  

Have a great evening!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, bdrcole said:

That's terrific news!

• Like 11

6 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thank you Rich and all who post on this forum.  I have my coffee and have read all the posts today. I am really excited about my next cruising. I will board the Rotterdam December 1 but just learned that my son from Mobile will be able to join me on the Christmas and New Year segment. And now my sister is talking about joining me on my Alaska cruise. It will be so fun to have family to share with. I feel that cruising on HAL is a real blessing as even though I was traveling alone, the crew made me feel like family. It is one of the special things that make cruising fun. The story of the elderly couple is so sweet and I think about the cruise I was just on and how angry a man got with a lady in a wheelchair who was brave enough to take a tender. His impatient shouts and bad words made me step up and remind him that this was a vacation and not a race. He didn't like being stood up to by an old lady, but he did back off.  AND my coffee cup is a circle on top and bottom. 

Sometimes you just have to face the bullies down. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@dfishas you mentioned, many school districts give the students the day off school on election day due to security concerns.  I just checked and DD has an in-service day today at her suburban Cincinnati school district while the kids get the day off from classes.  I'm sure this never happened when I was in school many years ago.  😁

Years ago, NJ always closed the schools on election day because many of the schools were polling places.  Election day also always occurred the same week every year of the NJ Teacher's Convention (the NJEA - New Jersey Education Association union - is pretty powerful here in the state) where teachers would get together on the first Thu/Fri of November for a convention.  With 3 out of 5 days off for the week, many families took vacation since kids only missed 2 days for a full week away.  This is how Jersey Week got its name for Disneyworld the first week of November.

NJ finally gave up about 15 years ago and just closed the schools for the entire first week of November...most districts still follow that.

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Years ago, NJ always closed the schools on election day because many of the schools were polling places.  Election day also always occurred the same week every year of the NJ Teacher's Convention (the NJEA - New Jersey Education Association union - is pretty powerful here in the state) where teachers would get together on the first Thu/Fri of November for a convention.  With 3 out of 5 days off for the week, many families took vacation since kids only missed 2 days for a full week away.  This is how Jersey Week got its name for Disneyworld the first week of November.

NJ finally gave up about 15 years ago and just closed the schools for the entire first week of November...most districts still follow that.

I have memories of going to Atlantic City with my Mother for the Teachers Convention, when I was growing up.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, bdrcole said:

It's a good feeling to have completed radiotherapy, thanks for your update, pleased that you have such a good prognosis.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Many thanks to all for prayers.  My WTC  monitoring exam went sort of okay.  Had to be there at 8:30 and it was pouring rain while I drove in to Grand Junction.  Then when it was complete I had to drive back to where I live to get my chest x-ray at our local very small hospital!!!!!  It is always different one way or another with that exam.  Because of COVID protocols, I couldn’t have a pulmonary function test.  Hope what tests I had will suffice for the company in charge of keeping the results. 

I join you in hoping that the tests sufficed and praying for good results 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, msmayor said:

I wish we had such a good reason for our school closure here.  Between the strike by CUPE (don’t get me started - I thought the Government’s raise offer was better than what most get) and covid, they were forced to be closed.  Back to on line leanring/ learning at home 😔 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Just emailed HAL about our missing tiles from our August 28th cruise.  They were supposed to be mailed to us but here it is 2 months later and nothing. 

I was in the Sept 4 Alaska sailing. I called the Mariner Society this morning about my tile. She said they are still waiting for the supply to come in and would be mailed as soon as they can. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thank you Rich and all who post on this forum.  I have my coffee and have read all the posts today. I am really excited about my next cruising. I will board the Rotterdam December 1 but just learned that my son from Mobile will be able to join me on the Christmas and New Year segment. And now my sister is talking about joining me on my Alaska cruise. It will be so fun to have family to share with. I feel that cruising on HAL is a real blessing as even though I was traveling alone, the crew made me feel like family. It is one of the special things that make cruising fun. The story of the elderly couple is so sweet and I think about the cruise I was just on and how angry a man got with a lady in a wheelchair who was brave enough to take a tender. His impatient shouts and bad words made me step up and remind him that this was a vacation and not a race. He didn't like being stood up to by an old lady, but he did back off.  AND my coffee cup is a circle on top and bottom. 

Bravo and thank you for standing up to a bully.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, lazey1 said:

I am a nativeAmerican who never heard of Circles Day. Where I grew up Nov. 2nd was #1 Dia De Los Muertos and #2 Sadie Hawkins Day which was a lot more fun. Anyone else remember asking your boyfriend to the annual Sadie Hawkins Day Dance? 

Today is Taco Tuesday and I love traditional tacos made with either ground beef or refried beans, lettuce and cheese on hard corn tortillos. I will save the jerk chicken (not so spicy version) for another meal without the soft tortillos.

And again I thank everyone for sharing their photos of the port of the day.

Jane

I remember Sadie Hawkins dances at high school.  Who was brave enough to ask a boy to the dance?  🙂  Aaah, memories.

• Like 3