“Suite!” Just Retired to be a pirate at sea with Sea Dog and Polly The Pirate Semi Live Explorer Nov. 7th

Sea Dog

Looking at your shore excursion schedule, I see you’re not an early morning person!  Guess we’re going to see some late night party pics on this trip!

Love the spreadsheet…Always nice to have a plan to deviate from versus staring at each other figuring out what to do!

Edited by dianajo67

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Now we got the aqua vault which is bigger and made to close around a beach chair. Looking forward to trying this out I’ll let you know.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Other goodies include a luggage scale. 

I have not heard of either of these gadgets.  I am putting them on my research list.  Maybe I can do less research than normal when I hear how they work out for you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Getting Organized

Those who know me know I am all about organization. I'm not as good as @singinalot but I try since I am a worrier. It helps to have everything laid out in front of me. So as you can imagine making a calendar is important to give me a sense of how our days and evenings will be spent. Of course everything can be fluid and change. I consider this to be my base. Unfortunately I have changed this calendar several times because excursions got cancelled on us. I really wonder what "operational issues" are hmmmmmmm?

2007945300_ExplorerSchedule1.thumb.png.d4c6d40586f268e9f921bf9732c3709a.png

778071981_ExplorerSchedule2.thumb.png.e7fef232cafebfe267ae15cd480072f7.png

I thought Sharon was detailed.  I am going to show this to her.   

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

I see you’re not an early morning person!  Guess we’re going to see some late night party pics on this trip!

I'm going to try and be better about getting up early and getting some sun rise pictures but it will depend on how much fun I have the night before.🤪

@twangster is my hero. He's get up early to take pictures. He stays up late to get starry nights. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

@Ozark_KidNo luggage scale?  Perfect for sparing yourself from having to redistribute clothing at the check in counter when one of you over packs.  Once you have done that you will never leave home without one.  

Greg,  are you bringing all those chargers?  I got a couple of the European ones about 5 years ago after reading about it here somewhere.  Certainly helps a lot, at least on the older ships.

@Sea Dog

As I watched your video about the loss of your fur baby, I too cried.

It is so hard, and I am sorry.

Someone once said time heals all wounds........................I do not think that person ever lost a loyal trust worthy mans best friend.  

Take care.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Sheal said:

Greg,  are you bringing all those chargers?  I got a couple of the European ones about 5 years ago after reading about it here somewhere.  Certainly helps a lot, at least on the older ships.

Yes and It's not pictured but I am bringing two European ones to help out. Between 3 iPhones, 1 iPad,  Go Pro Battery Charger, Nikon Battery Charger, Apple watch, Bose Sleep Buds, we will be charging a lot.

Edited by Sea Dog

4 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Someone once said time heals all wounds........................I do not think that person ever lost a loyal trust worthy mans best friend.  

Take care.

Thank you Sue, That is so true.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sheal said:

No luggage scale?

I always take a luggage scale in my backpack. Got it right after I had to redistribute between one suitcase at 51 pounds and one at 49 pounds.  And it took 3 tries to get it to 50 and 50. 

I have heard some people take a pillowcase, and just stuff things in it because they don’t charge for pillows or count it as a personal item.  I haven’t tried that yet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Farewell my little Miss Sea Dog

133570590_MAGGIERIP.thumb.jpg.009c40b9440403d20d2edd5c65065608.jpg

This dog is very sad. How quickly can one day be full of joy and another full of sorrow. This morning we had to let Maggie go rest in peace. She has never been the same since her sister Penny passed last June. They were inseparable. The last couple of weeks we saw her health decline rapidly. She wasn’t eating. She was losing her eyesight. She could not support herself.

Maggie’s long time vet said her kidneys were failing. He said that she would probably not live to see us get back from the cruise. She was over 13.5 years old. She lived longer than most Cavalier King Charles Spaniels live. Most live from 9-13 years. 

She was Jonathan’s first pet. He loved that dog so much.  Maggie loved all of us. Every night she would alternate between laying next to me or Linda. She was truly a lap dog.

So Last night Jonathan came over to say his goodbye’s. It was tough. One last night together cuddled up together and then this morning goodbye.

I hope to honor her life by enjoying life the way she did. Always having a happy face. Loving to eat and drink and splurging on an occasional treat. Staying close to ones you love. I hope some day to remember how lucky I was to known her love with wonder not grief.

Goodbye my beloved Miss Maggie Sea Dog. I know you are laying next to Penny and looking over us. We will always miss you and love you.

With tears I did a video for her.

@Sea Dog That was so beautiful!  So sorry you have lost your Maggie.  What a good life she had!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Sheal said:

@Ozark_KidNo luggage scale?  Perfect for sparing yourself from having to redistribute clothing at the check in counter when one of you over packs.  Once you have done that you will never leave home without one.  

No portable luggage scales.... yet.  All this time and it's the first I heard of them.  I usually just lift them up, step on our regular scales, then weigh.  Then I subtract my weight.   The big problem is the trip back.

20211010_164938.thumb.jpg.698da8cb6e65253feff99285f5b4029b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I will say that the Royal app is really good too as a scheduler. It has all my reservations, excursions and times. Very handy.

Where my schedule really helps is in scheduling our specialty restaurants. We have the 3 night dining package, as well as a complimentary dinner and lunch from my TA. Once I get on board I'll make my reservations using my schedule and I can pencil in any changes.

Safe travels tomorrow!! don't forget to get your QRCode before entering  Puerto Rico. Enjoy your cruise! I'll be following you! https://www.travelsafe.pr.gov

https://1link.travelsafe.pr.gov

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have not heard of either of these gadgets.  I am putting them on my research list.  Maybe I can do less research than normal when I hear how they work out for you.

I would suggest a non-digital luggage scale, just because it doesn't use batteries. Hook, small wheel scale, handle (no batteries). We had to toss the digital scale and replaced it because the batteries leaked and corroded inside after it sat for a while without use.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, drarill said:

don't forget to get your QRCode before entering  Puerto Rico.

Got it printed out on paper as well as on our phones. Not sure exactly where we present it when we land but we will soon find out.

• Like 4

Testing out the COVID test

IMG_6288.thumb.jpg.e7fdcd89292c4d7e0ef87216850013c4.jpg

Since we will be in San Juan two days before we board, we are planning on taking our COVID tests once we arrive at the hotel.

We purchased 6 tests from eMed. At the time that was the minimum you could have purchased. Since there are three of us, we figured having some backups would help.

We also purchased an extra kit to test the test and get familiar with the process. So I decided to test the test. It is very straight forward and very easy. I used my laptop for the test. 

Two things I noticed. One,  I’m kind of hard of hearing and the proctor had a thick accent so it was sometimes hard to understand her. And second make sure you are in a well lit area. My laptop camera did not do a great job of showing her my ID. It took several tries for her to get the ID in focus and well lit enough for her to scan it. The same for the QR code. I ended up at the end for the test results using a flashlight app on my phone to boost the lighting so she could read the results.

By the way, I tested negative. Results were emailed to me and also available on the Navica app.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 10

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Got it printed out on paper as well as on our phones. Not sure exactly where we present it when we land but we will soon find out.

you need to show this before leaving the airport.  Someone will scan the code and you will get texts or emails for the next 10 days checking that you don't have COVID symptoms. 

Keep your Vaccination card handy; we have strict mask mandates and proof of vaccination is required in most restaurants. Happy Cruising!!!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, drarill said:

you need to show this before leaving the airport.  Someone will scan the code and you will get texts or emails for the next 10 days checking that you don't have COVID symptoms. 

Keep your Vaccination card handy; we have strict mask mandates and proof of vaccination is required in most restaurants. Happy Cruising!!!

Do you actually have to wear a mask everywhere?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I would suggest a non-digital luggage scale, just because it doesn't use batteries. Hook, small wheel scale, handle (no batteries). We had to toss the digital scale and replaced it because the batteries leaked and corroded inside after it sat for a while without use.  

I have both. Digital for home use,  non-digital to take on the road for the reasons you stated.

The only issue with the non-digital is the needle quivers giving me a different reading each time. Usually in the same ballpark but I still weigh 3 times & take the average. 😋

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Testing out the COVID test

IMG_6288.thumb.jpg.e7fdcd89292c4d7e0ef87216850013c4.jpg

Since we will be in San Juan two days before we board, we are planning on taking our COVID tests once we arrive at the hotel.

We purchased 6 tests from eMed. At the time that was the minimum you could have purchased. Since there are three of us, we figured having some backups would help.

We also purchased an extra kit to test the test and get familiar with the process. So I decided to test the test. It is very straight forward and very easy. I used my laptop for the test. 

Two things I noticed. One,  I’m kind of hard of hearing and the proctor had a thick accent so it was sometimes hard to understand her. And second make sure you are in a well lit area. My laptop camera did not do a great job of showing her my ID. It took several tries for her to get the ID in focus and well lit enough for her to scan it. The same for the QR code. I ended up at the end for the test results using a flashlight app on my phone to boost the lighting so she could read the results.

By the way, I tested negative. Results were emailed to me and also available on the Navica app.

Safe travels tomorrow.  I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight.  I can never sleep before a cruise.

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Safe travels tomorrow.  I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight.  I can never sleep before a cruise.

Thanks but I'm like you. Too much anticipation and I'm still crying at our loss of Maggie.

• Like 12

All Packed Up

IMG_6294.thumb.jpg.387d3bb6ba9ab2b956c76ab6261af200.jpg

I know it looks like we are moving to San Juan. I am always amazed at the cruisers who can do it with a carry on. I would like to try someday. In the meantime I will get my exercise.

Good night. 6am flight will require us to be up at 2:30am.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 15
  • Haha 5