The Daily for Saturday November 13, 2021

richwmn

Good morning and thanks all!  I second Rich’s comments to those reading.  Please join in if you wish.  
I looked up todays port and it is the port for Nagasaki,  so if things go right we will visit next year.   

@bdrcoleKudos to your grandson,  it’s wonderful what children can achieve.   Our granddaughter  started a club that raised over $500 for animal rescue by making bracelets and selling them for a $1.   The future is in good hands with these little ones.  

Please Sign me up for the wine tour!   Our last cruise we had a lovely tour in Sicily of NeroD’avilo.  We’ve been fortunate to visit a lot of areas.  Perhaps the most memorable was Epernay in the Champagne region.

63C0A32D-0959-481C-AE88-668E3DEC0DCC.jpeg

9A305599-63CA-4665-BD48-3C6ECB9A7C8F.jpeg

2F464564-113C-4C38-9BB8-C6302CB71007.jpeg

B79F9461-E7F3-4F79-8522-DEB80484C681.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 29

Well, so far stuffing/dressing gets the top vote.  I'll add mine to it.  According to the definition, we have both at Thanksgiving.  What is left over from stuffing the bird gets cooked separately so we have enough.  And @smitty34877, i eat it for breakfast the next day as well.  Mom made a sausage stuffing with lots of onion, celery, butter and poultry seasoning.  

@cat shepard Can you please share the recipe for Do Ahead Party Potatoes?   Those sound really interesting. 

@irishjim Prayers for Sheila.  Thank you for letting us know.  

@bdrcole What a wonderful example Malcolm is to us all.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Candied carrots?  Recipe please

Summer, nothing fancy. Super easy to double, triple, etc….

1 lb of fresh or frozen baby carrots

2 tablespoons butter ( I use unsalted, but one can use salted - if preferred)

1/4 c brown sugar (I use dark brown sugar, for a bit of a bolder flavor, but one can use light brown sugar- if preferred)

Cook the carrots on medium-high in a small amount of water until tender.

This usually takes 7-10 minutes for fresh carrots.  
If using frozen carrots, I would at least check the directions on the package.

In a separate saucepan combine butter and sugar. Heat on medium; stirring until sugar is dissolved. Once dissolved, add the cooked carrots and gently combine them with the glaze.

Serve. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The back problem will continue as I get older, but some days will be better than others.  It would be wonderful if it stayed better but I'm not holding my breath.  I'm thankful it's not a worse health issue!

Sandi, after a very hard fall down the stairs and many months of 3 times weekly PT, my therapist told me not to use a treadmill because it can cause back pain. He said walking on your own time is much better than a machine. Yoga and pilates helped me tremendously. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Since this grandson is a tech wiz we’re hoping he can help Sam arrange his computer .

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

I sure hope your grandson can help Sam arrange his computer, Carol 🤞

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I heard from John's wife again, and she said he has given up treatment and is very weak.  He has a PET scan and a brain MRI next week so we will know more about the spread but she doesn't expect it to be good news. 

So very sad to hear this 😞. Prayers for him and for his wife to have the strength needed 🙏

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm sending a deposit to @kazu to hold my reservation for her wine tour! 

No need for a deposit, Gerry - your spot is secure 😉 😂

2 hours ago, bdrcole said:

Malcolm needed to complete the community service project to receive the award.

Working with the leaders, Beavers can be assigned a community service project or present their idea to the leaders for approval.

Malcolm’s presented his idea to the leaders which was approved.  He wanted to raise money for the Izaak Walton Killam Children’s Hospital in Halifax, Nova Scotia (The IWK).  To raise money he would do a bottle drive and also make bird feeders which he would sell for $3.00 each or three for $5.00.

His mother put out the word in our community and the community responded.  A family run business that has been in the local community for 40 years heard about it and contacted Malcolm to let him know they would donate the bird seed.

He raised over just over $400.00 with the bottle drive and the reminder selling his bird feeders.  He raised a total of $668.05 which he presented to the IWK yesterday.  The staff at the IWK were very impressed and my daughter said that 6 of the staff came to personally talk to Malcolm to hear his story.

What wonderful story.  You must be so proud of him - caring about community at such a young age and his enterprise to raise the money 👍

So glad to hear the I.W.K. Staff came to hear his story.  It’s a lovely one to hear 🙂 

2 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report! We will cruising one week from today!

Have a great cruise!  Your Bon Voyage was up this morning 🙂 

2 hours ago, irishjim said:

Please add  my  wife Sheila          back to  your care list and prayers. she was  kept  in  hospital  to  get  her  stronger so she could come home and  was doing good then yesterday  she had  a setback and was  having 

problems with  her  heart speeding up and and she is being well  looked  after and hope they can sort this out soon.

So sorry to hear about Sheila 🥲 I hope the doctors can get to the bottom of it and she will recover quickly.  Prayers for her 🙏

47 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Our granddaughter  started a club that raised over $500 for animal rescue by making bracelets and selling them for a $1.   The future is in good hands with these little ones.  

Another great story 🙂 And you’re right with the young people like your granddaughter and Malcolm the future is in very good hands👍

47 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Please Sign me up for the wine tour!  

But of course  - just don’t pick my peppers 😉 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

@dfish Debbie - First, thanks for the encouragement yesterday regarding the 🤬 CPAP.  Right now I'm ready to throw it out the window and it's only been 3 nights 😱

Anyway, now to your question about Thanksgiving dishes.  I have never cared for dressing/stuffing so guess I'm in a minority here.  Fondest memories were just of the family all gathering together since I am an only child it was always great to have aunts, uncles, grandparents, parents and cousins galore!

A few years ago DH and I put together a "boozy" Thanksgiving dinner.  He deep fried a turkey, we had the usual accompaniments mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, then comes the good part -- grown-up green bean "casserole" made with a Sherry sauce, 'Ole No. 7 sweet potatoes, cranberry relish made with Grand Marnier, and pecan and pumpkin pies with Bourbon flavored whipped cream  😋 ...and wine, of course. 

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

In one week we will be setting sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 14 days in the Caribbean! 

I had booked a "free" inside cabin (for our son and his SO) during the BOGO promotion HAL had some time ago. Originally, they were going for the full 14 days but had to cut back to just the first week (job change/vacation time issues). 

Yesterday, I got (and took) an upgrade offer to move them from the inside cabin to a veranda for $149 each. Needless to say they are quite excited! As are we to finally be cruising again...

Now we are all worried about what to do if our covid tests go south😨

• Like 25

3 hours ago, dfish said:

I have a question for all of you.  What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?  Mine is my mom's stuffing with gravy.   

I guess my favorite is Roasties .  My Dad taught me to score the potatoes after you’ve par-boiled them to give them some nice crispy nooks and crannies.

Holy smokes it was cold here in Ontario this morning!  The temperature’s not bad, but that wind!!  🥶 As @kazu’s puppy says “This is bu11sh1t!”

Sorry to have made anyone uncomfortable with my comment.  You are all very welcoming and I am happy to be here!

At 11:30, last night, I went back online to do the PCR test.  Less than 5 people in front of me!  Great!, says I.  This shouldn’t take long at all.  35 minutes later a nurse came online.  First thing she said was “My gosh, you’ve been waiting a while.  I don’t know why, because there are lots of nurses available.  I am so sorry.”  My guess is they all went to bed, leaving her to hold the fort.  In any event, we got through the test and it is now in the fridge waiting for pickup by Purolator on Monday afternoon.  Hope I remember to leave it out before I head to my passport appointment.  🙃

• Like 24

@dfish

Debbie, I am warning you that there isn’t anything healthy about these potatoes. I attempted to use non-fat sour cream, cream cheese & reduced fat cheeses one year and the family was very upset with me. Perhaps I should have used just one non-fat option.  The original recipe called for onion salt, but we switched to garlic powder after a couple of years. 

My favorite part of the recipe is that you can prepare these potatoes up to two weeks ahead of time. Just keep them covered tightly in the fridge. I know I never made them two weeks ahead of time, but I usually made them at least two days before the “big meal”.

And this is an easy one to double.

Do Ahead Party Potatoes

Serves 8

Preheat oven to 350.

10 medium potatoes

6 ounces cream cheese

1 c sour cream - I might try plain yogurt, if I make this again. 

2 teaspoons garlic powder (original recipe calls for onion salt)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces

grated or shredded cheese - I used at least 8 oz & our favorite combination was mozzarella, asiago and a bit of parmesan thrown in. 

1. Peel & quarter the potatoes.* put the potatoes in a large saucepan or pot & cover with water. Boil until tender - approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well. Mash until smooth. 

* I often did not peel the potatoes - if I used thin-skinned potatoes. I just scrubbed them really well. 

2. Combine cream cheese, sour cream, garlic powder & pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and whisk together until smooth.

3. Grease a two quart casserole. Add the potatoes. Dot with butter. Sprinkle the shredded/grated cheeses over the entire casserole. Note: cheese lovers might want to have more than 8 ounces ready.

If not cooking right away, cover tightly & refrigerate. 

4. If you make them ahead of time, take them out of the fridge, and uncover them at least 30 minutes before baking. Bake for 45 minutes, until cheese is melted and browned.*

*Oven temps vary, so you might need to tweak the cook time a bit. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

47 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sandi, after a very hard fall down the stairs and many months of 3 times weekly PT, my therapist told me not to use a treadmill because it can cause back pain. He said walking on your own time is much better than a machine. Yoga and pilates helped me tremendously. 

Thanks for that advice Joy.  I should look into the yoga and pilates.  I hear soccer player DGS and his team are doing pilates weekly in DS's basement.  Their Moms catch up with coffee and biscotti upstairs.  😋

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Debbie - First, thanks for the encouragement yesterday regarding the 🤬 CPAP.  Right now I'm ready to throw it out the window and it's only been 3 nights 😱

Anyway, now to your question about Thanksgiving dishes.  I have never cared for dressing/stuffing so guess I'm in a minority here

My DH would agree with everything Debbie said.  He's used one for as long as I can remember. He can't sleep well now without it.  

I'm with you re dressing/stuffing.  A couple bites is enough for me.  I don't dislike it, I just prefer potatoes and (my) gravy, so have seconds of that and no dressing/stuffing. 🤣

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Good rainy afternoon, I hope everyone is having a great day. 
My favorite side dish is true Pennsylvania Dutch staple -Cope’s corn, it’s corn that has been dehydrated and then reconstituted, it has a sweeter taste . Also, Pa Dutch potatoe filling instead of stuffing.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists 🙏❤️

• Like 20

14 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@dfish

Debbie, I am warning you that there isn’t anything healthy about these potatoes. I attempted to use non-fat sour cream, cream cheese & reduced fat cheeses one year and the family was very upset with me. Perhaps I should have used just one non-fat option.  The original recipe called for onion salt, but we switched to garlic powder after a couple of years. 

My favorite part of the recipe is that you can prepare these potatoes up to two weeks ahead of time. Just keep them covered tightly in the fridge. I know I never made them two weeks ahead of time, but I usually made them at least two days before the “big meal”.

And this is an easy one to double.

Do Ahead Party Potatoes

Serves 8

Preheat oven to 350.

10 medium potatoes

6 ounces cream cheese

1 c sour cream - I might try plain yogurt, if I make this again. 

2 teaspoons garlic powder (original recipe calls for onion salt)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces

grated or shredded cheese - I used at least 8 oz & our favorite combination was mozzarella, asiago and a bit of parmesan thrown in. 

1. Peel & quarter the potatoes.* put the potatoes in a large saucepan or pot & cover with water. Boil until tender - approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well. Mash until smooth. 

* I often did not peel the potatoes - if I used thin-skinned potatoes. I just scrubbed them really well. 

2. Combine cream cheese, sour cream, garlic powder & pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and whisk together until smooth.

3. Grease a two quart casserole. Add the potatoes. Dot with butter. Sprinkle the shredded/grated cheeses over the entire casserole. Note: cheese lovers might want to have more than 8 ounces ready.

If not cooking right away, cover tightly & refrigerate. 

4. If you make them ahead of time, take them out of the fridge, and uncover them at least 30 minutes before baking. Bake for 45 minutes, until cheese is melted and browned.*

*Oven temps vary, so you might need to tweak the cook time a bit. 

Genius!  These are just about same as DH's beloved twice-baked potatoes, but without having to deal with those finicky and hot potato skins to put the filling back in.  You learn something new every day here at the Daily.  😋

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I remember going to my first Thanksgiving in the US, other than trying to explain why we didn't have Thanksgiving in England my major recollection was an amazing green bean casserole. it seemed so exotic to me.

When I went to visit my family for Christmas I brought the recipe and made it for Christmas Dinner which is the big  holiday Turkey  meal in UK. It was a big hit!!

• Like 22

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors (and all are welcome to join in).

Good days. Caregivers definitely deserve praise. Wine tourism is a good thing. It's also World Kindness Day.

Great quote.

I like the meal, drink and wine. Roy's meal sounds good too.

I have not been to today's port.

It's cold here today (mid 30's), with some snow flurries. I'll be inside! It was very windy yesterday, and the yard is awash with leaves. I'll attend to them mid-week when it's dry. After a better 8 hours of sleep, I'm feeling pretty normal today. And another tech victory - through some online reading and tips, I got my ancient workhorse HP laserjet printer running on the new PC (the printer is 20+ years old).

@dfish The turkey itself is my favorite. I remember when I was growing up I asked my Mother why we only had turkey at Thanksgiving, since I liked it so much. 

@StLouisCruisers Sorry you woke with back pain. Prayers for comfort for John. My back and hips have been bothering me too. I see the Rheumatologist next week so I'll see what she says (even though they mainly manage the immunosuppressants for my eyes).

@bdrcole A big congratulations to Malcolm for his accomplishments! 

@irishjim Prayers for Sheila that her issues are resolved and she gets to come home soon.

@kb4683 Keep at it with the CPAP. I started out with a full face mask which gave me some issues. Now I use nasal pillows which I like better, although a little hard to sleep on your side.

@*Miss G* I'm glad you finally got your test done.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list, especially all those on or getting on a ship!

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

I remember going to my first Thanksgiving in the US, other than trying to explain why we didn't have Thanksgiving in England my major recollection was an amazing green bean casserole. it seemed so exotic to me.

When I went to visit my family for Christmas I brought the recipe and made it for Christmas Dinner which is the big  holiday Turkey  meal in UK. It was a big hit!!

Don’t know if you do the same but we brought carrot and turnip (with parsnip) over from England.  My husband is from the South, and I very much dislike Southern cooking, so I started to bring things I would eat to their Thanksgiving dinners.  Carrot and turnip was one of them, and now every year his family makes sure I remember to bring it.  That and my homemade cranberry orange sauce.  I started bringing that after watching my MIL open a tin of *cranberry jelly and put slices of it in a dish for serving.  😝

*With apologies to those who enjoy sliced tinned cranberry jelly.  No offense intended. 😊

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

13 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Don’t know if you do the same but we brought carrot and turnip (with parsnip) over from England.  My husband is from the South, and I very much dislike Southern cooking, so I started to bring things I would eat to their Thanksgiving dinners.  Carrot and turnip was one of them, and now every year his family makes sure I remember to bring it.  That and my homemade cranberry orange sauce.  I started bringing that after watching my MIL open a tin of *cranberry jelly and put slices of it in a dish for serving.  😝

*With apologies to those who enjoy sliced tinned cranberry jelly.  No offense intended. 😊

Yes to carrot, turnip and parsnips at Christmas with the bird, this was from our Irish heritage. Our relatives would send us turkey, goose and pheasant every year via the postal service.  They would arrive wrapped in burlap sacks. I don't know how  we survived!

Agree also on the cranberry orange sauce, I add a little Cointreau to mine.

Edited by Sea Viewer
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

@dfish Debbie - First, thanks for the encouragement yesterday regarding the 🤬 CPAP.  Right now I'm ready to throw it out the window and it's only been 3 nights 😱

Anyway, now to your question about Thanksgiving dishes.  I have never cared for dressing/stuffing so guess I'm in a minority here.  Fondest memories were just of the family all gathering together since I am an only child it was always great to have aunts, uncles, grandparents, parents and cousins galore!

A few years ago DH and I put together a "boozy" Thanksgiving dinner.  He deep fried a turkey, we had the usual accompaniments mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, then comes the good part -- grown-up green bean "casserole" made with a Sherry sauce, 'Ole No. 7 sweet potatoes, cranberry relish made with Grand Marnier, and pecan and pumpkin pies with Bourbon flavored whipped cream  😋 ...and wine, of course. 

It took me several months to really be comfortable with it.  Keep going.   I have mastered sleeping on my side with the nasal pillows.  It depends on how you position the pillow.  You'll get there.   Your boozy Thanksgiving sounds wonderful!  

14 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

This made me laugh.  I have a brother who will only eat the stuff that has the lines on it from the can.  One of guests this year only likes that variety as well.  Fine with me as I don't care for it to begin with as there is too much sugar.  But, if I had to eat it, I want the orange in it.  

16 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

The turkey itself is my favorite. I remember when I was growing up I asked my Mother why we only had turkey at Thanksgiving, since I liked it so much. 

Good question!   Why do we only have it at Thanksgiving?  Well, we also had it at Christmas.

51 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm with you re dressing/stuffing.  A couple bites is enough for me.  I don't dislike it, I just prefer potatoes and (my) gravy, so have seconds of that and no dressing/stuffing. 🤣

I'm the exact opposite.   I skip the potatoes and only eat the stuffing.

54 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie, I am warning you that there isn’t anything healthy about these potatoes.

It's Thanksgiving.  Calories and fat don't count.  The recipe sounds very similar to what I used to do with mashed cauliflower.  That was a lower carb substitute for potatoes.  I sometimes put green onion in it as well.  I like the savory things.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

I love your comment about the green bean casserole!  I've been trying to figure out all day which dish is my favorite for Thanksgiving.  It's not the turkey.  I enjoy the stuffing, the pumpkin pie and the green bean casserole!  I might have to say pumpkin pie is the favorite right at the moment, but the others are close behind.

We bake the extra dressing in a casserole dish because it doesn't all fit inside the turkey.  But the dressing baked in the dish is not moist enough for me.  The "stuffing" is so much better!🍗

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Checking back for the afternoon to see what's happening, and this board is alive!  

@bdrcole you must be so proud of your DGS - way to go Malcolm!

@irishjim sending prayers to your dear Sheila for a quick resolution to her problem.

I'm loving the recipes, especially the make-ahead potatoes.  The only thing is, I use the potato water to make the turkey gravy, so I'd have to save it in jars in the fridge.  The extra starch in the water helps to thicken the gravy.  

Re: stuffing/dressing, I don't care what it's called, just serve me the good stuff.  I remember as a child one aunt (who was NOT our favourite) made an oatmeal dressing that was like eating sawdust . . . ugh.  Our whole family loves stuffing, so for a number of years, I make 2 batches - one in a large roaster or the family-size slow cooker, and another batch to stuff the bird.  DH likes to make "dressing sandwiches" the next day . . . yep, bread in bread.  He jazzes them up with Miracle Whip and cranberry sauce and is happy as can be with his creation.

@kb4683 persistence pays off - I didn't know how I'd manage ever getting sleep with a cpap, but I also didn't realize how little sleep I was getting without it!   I use the nasal pillows, but you have to find the right size for you.  Good luck to you.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

I use the potato water to make the turkey gravy, so I'd have to save it in jars in the fridge.  The extra starch in the water helps to thicken the gravy.  

Great idea!  I'm going to try that.  

As for cranberry sauce, I'm chuckling because my Dad's favorite part of Thanksgiving was the PIE but second was the cranberry sauce.  And he wouldn't have liked anything other than what came out of a can, LOL.  (I think @*Miss G*'s cranberry orange sauce sounds delicious!!)

• Like 16