Boarding process with "invisible" disability

roastmules

I will be travelling/boarding with someone with a back injury. They don't have a HC placard since they can walk. They cannot stand, such as in a line without serious pain. We have a wheelchair for some things that would require standing without a chance to sit. 

They don't really need the wheelchair on the ship, no lines, really. 

Advice for the boarding process/line in a chair, then putting it back in the car? 

Are you going on a very small ship??

There is always  some line at some point where you will be standing

If a folding wheelchair just take it with you

If you  drop the person near the port building  just ask for wheelchair assistance  the porters will take them to the ship & remove the wheelchair if you feel they will never need one onboard

• Like 2

Another vote for bringing the w/c with you. I can think of several times when you could encounter lines requiring standing. Boarding or disembarking at port stops. Buffet at meal times. Dealing with Guest services or other service desks. Outside the MDR at peak times. If you don't need it, it can be folded and tucked in a corner of your stateroom.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Another vote for bringing the w/c with you. I can think of several times when you could encounter lines requiring standing. Boarding or disembarking at port stops. Buffet at meal times. Dealing with Guest services or other service desks. Outside the MDR at peak times. If you don't need it, it can be folded and tucked in a corner of your stateroom.

Good point about that guest services line. Might have 5 people in line and take 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

My guy has the exact same issues: severe back pain, can walk OK but can't stand.  We always ask for wheelchair assistance during check-in; a crewmember pushes him through the whole process & across the gangway.  Once he's on board, he's fine with a cane.  If, however, he had an emergency on board, we could contact Guest Services & have them provide a chair for a short period of time (say, while going down to the medical center & back.)  They keep a small number of chairs on board for this purpose.  They also can provide wheelchair assistance during disembarkation, which we use.  

Edit to add:  This means I am always the one standing in the buffet line, the Guest Services line, or whatever while he sits nearby & waits for me to get to the front of the line.  Sigh, we do what we must 

Edited by trivimp
  • Like 4

I agree with bringing the wheelchair with you and keeping it in your room.   There may be a lot of places that involve standing in line.   Plus, after walking around all day on the ship and/or port, the back issue may be worse than normal and having the wheelchair as an option might be most welcome.  

• Like 3

Does anyone have to bring their own toilet walkers that fit against the wall over the toilet.  This provides assistance to those that have to push up and getting on and off of the pot. The ships never seem to have enough hcr's. I have had cruises where I had to plop onto the floor and crawl to get to a bed to push up with.

2 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

Does anyone have to bring their own toilet walkers that fit against the wall over the toilet.  This provides assistance to those that have to push up and getting on and off of the pot. The ships never seem to have enough hcr's. I have had cruises where I had to plop onto the floor and crawl to get to a bed to push up with.

Have you contacted your cruise line's Access Dept to inquire whether they would have a toilet walker you could reserve and use for your cruise?    

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, kokopelli-az said:

Have you contacted your cruise line's Access Dept to inquire whether they would have a toilet walker you could reserve and use for your cruise?    

No I haven't considered that.  Thanks. I will.

• Like 1

i was on the escape 2 weeks ago and have similar issues. I had back surgery and can walk and stand but only for short periods. I bought a walker that has a chair on it so as we waited in lines or i needed a quick sit i could flip it around and sit. It worked quite well. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The companies that rent wheelchairs/scooters also rent other kinds of equipment.  You might try them.  EM

If it's some equipment that is genuinely needed, then I would prefer to make arrangements for a rental.

What if you get on board, and the ship doesn't have what you need, or says "other people ordered these before you, and we ran out..."?

If that type of problem can be avoided, I'd try to avoid it.

Unless it's something that could wait and be arranged at the next port (?).

GC

• Like 1

I have a rented scooter on my upcoming cruise.  I normally use a walker that has a seat available.  I am bringing it along for the ports.  I cannot walk that far without pain and I can’t stand in lines without severe pain.  
I am very blessed to have a spinal cord stimulator!  Without it, my world consisted of my bedroom.  The scooter was 385. for 11 nights on the Escape.

Sylvia

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 2:29 AM, Mizzoupoodle123 said:

I have a rented scooter on my upcoming cruise.  I normally use a walker that has a seat available.  I am bringing it along for the ports.  I cannot walk that far without pain and I can’t stand in lines without severe pain.  
I am very blessed to have a spinal cord stimulator!  Without it, my world consisted of my bedroom.  The scooter was 385. for 11 nights on the Escape.

Sylvia

I'm so glad that your SCS is working for you! Unfortunately, mine didn't so, although I still have the hardware implanted, it is permanently switched off. Renting a scooter is a great idea as it will give you more freedom. I hope you have a great cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 9:29 PM, Mizzoupoodle123 said:

Sylvia

The Spinal Cord Stimulator did not work for me.I have had surgeries,9 epidurals,acupuncture,physical therapy.I have not been able to walk since 2016.

On 11/24/2021 at 12:07 PM, JMorris271 said:

A light weight folding walker will do the in a pinch.  You can keep it folded and put out of the way by the toilet until you need it . And it may be easer to pack.  Hope this helps.

On 11/24/2021 at 2:55 PM, kokopelli-az said:

Absolutely.