Has the new Omicron variant delay the restart of cruising?

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

What do you do when the score is so close and you want someone to win desperately?  I sort my cutlery drawer.  My friend looks away.  Pat Rafter's mother used to go outside.  

I lean in closer to the TV so I don't miss anything. Last night I enjoyed watching Ash Barty. Congratulations to her.

On 1/17/2022 at 11:21 AM, Russell21 said:

Personally I think that the WA Premier is making a mistake in isolating the state, he is only postponing the inevitable, as has been seen in the other states on the relaxation of restrictions.

The WA premier is being patient and not rushing into reopening but is taking a smart approach i.e waiting for vaccination to reach an aceptable level, in WA's case hoping for 90% (which is estimated to be in February). IMO he has seen and learned from the mistakes and blunders in the east and wants to protect the population as much, and for as long, as possible. He wants his state to be in the best situation possible before "the inevitable" happens. Can't blame him for that.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

waiting for vaccination to reach an aceptable level, in WA's case hoping for 90%

Wasn’t NSW at 90% when they reopened? Or verrrrry close? 
I know Qld was, and it has made no difference to our numbers - so we’ll see how McGowan fares with his decisions 🧐

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Wasn’t NSW at 90% when they reopened? Or verrrrry close? 
I know Qld was, and it has made no difference to our numbers - so we’ll see how McGowan fares with his decisions 🧐

Once WA reopens, if it does, there will be thousands of cases like in the other states, it is inevitable once interstate and overseas travellers arrive in big numbers, which they will.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I lean in closer to the TV so I don't miss anything. Last night I enjoyed watching Ash Barty. Congratulations to her.

On 1/18/2022 at 1:44 PM, MMDown Under said:

Ha ha I go out of the room!!  

Did either of you watch the matches on Rod Laver last night? My grandson was one of the ballkids on the net. He was on court when Kyrgios was playing his ridiculous shots and winding up the crowd. As a teenager, he thought it was great fun. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Did either of you watch the matches on Rod Laver last night? My grandson was one of the ballkids on the net. He was on court when Kyrgios was playing his ridiculous shots and winding up the crowd. As a teenager, he thought it was great fun. 

We watched it, and I did mention to SWMBO about your Grandson.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, possum52 said:

I only lasted the first set, but enjoyed it.  Your grandson will have a lot to tell his friends about being a ball boy for Nick's game.  The young teenagers love Kyrgios, who entertains the crowd.  I am watching Kyrgios and Kokkinakis against the No.1doubles team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I only lasted the first set, but enjoyed it.  Your grandson will have a lot to tell his friends about being a ball boy for Nick's game.  The young teenagers love Kyrgios, who entertains the crowd.  I am watching Kyrgios and Kokkinakis against the No.1doubles team. 

He sure will Marion. I have just been watching him play cricket and he was still quite excited about last night's match. I see Kyrgios and Kokkinakis won too.

12 hours ago, possum52 said:

He sure will Marion. I have just been watching him play cricket and he was still quite excited about last night's match. I see Kyrgios and Kokkinakis won too.

Leigh do the Ball Kids get paid $ to work at the Tennis? Meals and drinks supplied?

Edited by NSWP

20 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

First Omicron case in the community in NZ - Palmerston North.  It remains to be seen whether it has been passed about.

It's a nervous wait to see what effect Omicron in the community will have on NZ society once it takes hold.

Unfortunately it appears the booster programme will not be advanced as everyone would have liked.

Same goes for the 5-11 yr programme, although I think that is going reasonably well in these early days of the rollout.

There was an interesting study done just recently on consumer spending habits in Sydney.

No lockdown, but many people are acting as though there was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

There was an interesting study done just recently on consumer spending habits in Sydney.

Yes, most of us in Sydney have more sense than our Premier and PM! We're only doing essential shopping but at least we can get regular haircuts unlike during a lockdown. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Leigh do the Ball Kids get paid $ to work at the Tennis? Meals and drinks supplied?

No Les, no pay. But they get to keep their uniform which is worth over $1000. The only things my grandson won't wear again are the tops and hats. The navy shorts are very fashionable and comfortable, the jacket they were supplied with looks great. They are supplied with Bolle sunglasses, a back pack, masks, 10 ground passes worth from $19-$49 each for family and friends to use, 2 passes to Rod Lava Arena, parents are given a Visa type card to pay for transport/parking fees/fuel and the kids are given $25 for food each shift. Fruit and drinks are available in their lounge between their times on court.  Last year my grandson was able to take his mother to the women's final as he won tickets.

WWBallGirlWindbreakerF_1200x.png?v=1640857917

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, most of us in Sydney have more sense than our Premier and PM! We're only doing essential shopping but at least we can get regular haircuts unlike during a lockdown. 

I just read an article on the ABC website about how movement around Parramatta is similar to during lockdown. I think the same is happening in Melbourne. I food shopped early yesterday morning, and there were less people there than normal. Evidently the big shopping centres such as Chadstone are like ghost towns. Other than shopping yesterday, I have only been to the Chemist on Monday, my hairdresser on Tuesday and to watch my grandson play cricket late yesterday afternoon where we sat in the shade of a tree, away from the other spectators. We are still tending to shop online for other things. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

Hi Leigh,

yes our side of Melbourne is quiet .  But I avoid the shops at the weekend!

I am not shopping for clothes as I have no cruises to buy for!  Loved going to buy a dressy dress to wear for formal nights.   Have got half a dozen already and nowhere to wear them.

its my grandson’s 18th today so we are invited to a bbq but only a small outside do!

I am sure that your grandson has had a marvellous time at the AO.

Next weekend is the Australia  weekend basketball tournament.   In days gone by, there were teams from WA, NZ and the rest of Aus.  How times have changed.

keep safe

Eileen

14 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi Leigh,

yes our side of Melbourne is quiet .  But I avoid the shops at the weekend!

I am not shopping for clothes as I have no cruises to buy for!  Loved going to buy a dressy dress to wear for formal nights.   Have got half a dozen already and nowhere to wear them.

its my grandson’s 18th today so we are invited to a bbq but only a small outside do!

I am sure that your grandson has had a marvellous time at the AO.

Next weekend is the Australia  weekend basketball tournament.   In days gone by, there were teams from WA, NZ and the rest of Aus.  How times have changed.

keep safe

Eileen

Times have certainly changed, Eileen. I hope your grandson has a wonderful birthday celebration. Re basketball, it is unfortunate that some of the championships have not gone ahead or state teams were not allowed in because of Covid for example the U16s who were meant to play in WA, but the Vic teams were not allowed in as their quarantine quarters were deemed not suitable at the last moment. 

Yes my grandson H has had a wonderful time at the AO, it is good experience and he evidently has a great group of kids to work with. He is really enjoying it. 

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

It's a nervous wait to see what effect Omicron in the community will have on NZ society once it takes hold.

Unfortunately it appears the booster programme will not be advanced as everyone would have liked.

Same goes for the 5-11 yr programme, although I think that is going reasonably well in these early days of the rollout.

Plenty of spending on...

1496808827_th(3).jpg.a72fbfc50d29a6efa168c732074b1d89.jpg

No Les, no pay. But they get to keep their uniform which is worth over $1000. The only things my grandson won't wear again are the tops and hats. The navy shorts are very fashionable and comfortable, the jacket they were supplied with looks great. They are supplied with Bolle sunglasses, a back pack, masks, 10 ground passes worth from $19-$49 each for family and friends to use, 2 passes to Rod Lava Arena, parents are given a Visa type card to pay for transport/parking fees/fuel and the kids are given $25 for food each shift. Fruit and drinks are available in their lounge between their times on court.  Last year my grandson was able to take his mother to the women's final as he won tickets.

That is good they are get fed and watered and some great gear, love the jacket.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

That is good they are get fed and watered and some great gear, love the jacket.

Yep, the kids are well looked after and each group has a supervisor in charge to keep an eye on them.

• Like 1

That's a Ralph Lauren jacket worth at least $150.00 very likely much more.

Edited by Russell21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Russell21 said:

That's a Ralph Lauren jacket worth at least $150.00 very likely much more.

The jacket retails for around $319, the shorts and tops $139, the sunnies $200-$250 plus the socks, shoes, masks, caps, back pack etc. They have two pairs of shorts and socks and two tops. All the clothes and shoes are Ralph Lauren. The shoes are made especially for the ballkids and I don't think are available for the public to buy. Similar tennis shoes would cost up to $250. The backpack retails for $50.

On 1/22/2022 at 12:08 PM, possum52 said:

The jacket retails for around $319, the shorts and tops $139, the sunnies $200-$250 plus the socks, shoes, masks, caps, back pack etc. They have two pairs of shorts and socks and two tops. All the clothes and shoes are Ralph Lauren. The shoes are made especially for the ballkids and I don't think are available for the public to buy. Similar tennis shoes would cost up to $250. The backpack retails for $50.

No wonder the ballkids all looked well groomed.  Nice souvenirs of the Tennis Open for the ballkids.

Experience as a ballkid for Aust Open would look good on their CVs for first jobs.  

• Like 1