Need Help figuring out the best ship to sail on an Alaska Cruise

Moondoggy51

My wife and I want to go on 11 Day Denali Tour/Cruse and we've narrowed things down to the FB4 cruise that starts in Fairbanks with the Denali overland part first with the ship leaving Anchorage and ending in Vancouver.  We have rules out the oldest and smallest ship (The Grand Princess) and have narrowed our selection further to either the Majestic Princess or the Royal Princess.  The Majestic Princess is newer by 3 years (2017 vs 2013) but size-wise they are about the same.  If there's anyone that has cruised on both ships, could you please share your opinion on which one is better.?  Additionally, if anyone has been on either ship but not both I would appreciate your comments as well.

Right now dates are optional but we want to cruise at a time when the weather is best so any insight in that regard would be appreciated as well.

Grand would have been my first choice. Largest balconies, fill promenade, most outdoor deck space to move around - and less passengers meaning quicker on/off the ship, less crowding aboard and at railings, etc 

After that, for us, it would be Royal, in a far forward deluxe Balcony on Emerald deck (E101-110) - or after that, aft or forward facing for larger balconies.. after that, any deluxe Balcony cabin as Deluxe have small sofa sitting area - handy for popping in to warm up or room service on scenic cruising, etc. (we're not mini-suite fans ourselves).

Majestic would be third....

Safe travels.

• Like 5

I am not familiar with the ships but can say this - I'd choose everything off the ability to go to Glacier Bay.  It's incredible.  It's amazing.  It's the best thing you'll see on the cruise.  And you will want to be on your own balcony for that amazing half hour spent right in front of the glacier as it cracks and calves.  Then the boat spins to the other side and you go up on deck and watch from there ... but when you do and you hear all the people talking (and now you can't hear the glacier as well) you'll realize why you wanted your own balcony.  It's marvelous.

So, imo, go with the ship that gets you to Glacier Bay and has a balcony.

• Like 4

The Majestic was originally built for the Chinese market and is different from the Royal.  At the front of the ship there is an observation area that would be appropriate for viewing if you don't have a balcony or if you want a broader view of the scenery.  It's on deck 17 instead of the Sanctuary.  Because of this, the Majestic is the ship we have chosen.

• Like 1

Our first trip to Alaska was on the Grand and we absolutely loved it.  I've been on the Sky Princess (one of the Royal Class ships) and I'm not sure they allow that large of a ship into Glacier Bay.  Does anyone know?  We actually had a window suite on that cruise and loved it.  We had no problems seeing the glaciers out on deck with others.  People were mostly quiet during Glacier Bay like it was a revered place and you were expected to speak in hushed tones.  I thought it was great!  

Either way, I'm sure you will have a great time, but don't discount the older smaller ships.  They have lots of life left in them.  I think so anyway.

• Like 1

We've sailed extensively on the Grand and have also cruised one time on each on both the Royal and the Majestic.  

Of the three, I would choose the Majestic for the beauty of the ship and the wonderful staff / crew!  We had a large aft deluxe balcony on the Baja deck and it was spectacular!  The Royal and Majestic both have deluxe balconies that have extra room for a small sofa in the room, the Grand does not.  But now, the Grand has and always has had the most amazing crew of all times!!  They've actually fixed her up with new furniture and carpeting and she looks great now.  The structural issues do still exist, though (no midship staircase for passenger use and some persistent plumbing issues).  I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again, though.  

As for the Royal, we were scheduled to cruise on her in April 2020, which was canceled so we haven't been on her for since the prior year.  So, not sure what has changed but, she was a beautiful ship back in 2019.   But, we sailed on the Majestic back in July and all I can say is WOW!  What an absolutely gorgeous ship with such a wonderful crew!  She also has a noodle bar out on the pool deck as well as lobster rolls for a small upcharge out at the outdoor grill.  I also love that she has a spectacular Asian specialty restaurant, the one thing we find we miss when we cruise.  We also like that Vines was a full service bar on the Majestic, although on the Grand, the sommelier there would also get you anything you wanted.  

I don't think you would be unhappy with any of your choices but I'm also of the mind set that whichever one goes to Glacier Bay is the ship you should choose.  If all of that include that itinerary, I might have to choose the Majestic.  

1 hour ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I've been on the Sky Princess (one of the Royal Class ships) and I'm not sure they allow that large of a ship into Glacier Bay.  Does anyone know? 

Yes, for the 2022 cruise season, the Royal and Majestic will be visiting Glacier Bay, as well as the smaller Crown, Grand and Ruby.  In the 2023 season, the Royal will not be visiting but the smaller Sapphire will be.  Plus the four I previously mentioned.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I'm a bit confused about one reply that mentioned that the Royal had French Balconies but after getting a definition of what a French Balcony is I found several YouTube videos out there that appeared to show that the Royal Princess had regular balconies so I'm confused.

I was also surprised at the amount of people that suggest that I should not have ruled out the Grand Princess.  Since this would only be our 3rd cruise and both of two we've taken were in the Caribbean I'm wondering if there's any thing else that I should be aware of before a make my final selection so if anyone else has more feedback to offer since this is an Alaskan cruise, please let me know.  I think we've narrowed our timeframe to July or August. 

currently on Majestic.

If one was limiting choice to only Royal and Majestic, I would take Majestic with the indoor Hollywood pool on deck 15 forward and the associated conservatory for viewing out the front. balcony sizes are similar on both ships small.

Personally I would go with the Grand.

• Like 2

Maybe if you let the other poster know which cabins you are looking at, that may help with fine tuning recommendations.

me…I’d choose a window suite on the Grand Princess.  Nice to have a full promenade deck…without smoking restrictions.  Glacier Bay is a must. 

I've sailed on the Majestic twice this year, once to Alaska. (i've done Alaska over 2 dozen times) My choice would be the Grand, on which I am booked to Alaska next June.  Big selling points for Alaska are the full wrap around promenade deck and many open forward viewing areas without a glass panel to imped photography.  Don't think about here as small, she is just not gigantic. When she first sailed the Grand was the largest ship afloat. The buffet areas on the Majestic and the Royal are both really nice.

Don't rule out the Grand too quickly

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougH said:

I've sailed on the Majestic twice this year, once to Alaska. (i've done Alaska over 2 dozen times) My choice would be the Grand, on which I am booked to Alaska next June.  

If you had to choose the balance between price and time of year to visit, which one of these three price points and time would you choose?  The first is 2 weeks mid to late May, for another 100 pp it would be late May to first week of June and for another 50 pp September 2 for 2 weeks.  Thanks.

Late May to first week June first choice, mid to late May 2nd. Sept is real iffy weather wise for me and way too dark. By far my last choice of the year. I was there 3rd week in Aug this year and even then too dark. My favorite time in Alaska is to be out on the open deck after dinner when you can still see. Be sure and be out on deck for at least a couple of hours after sail away from Whittier, this is some of the best scenery on the trip

3 hours ago, Moondoggy51 said:

I'm a bit confused about one reply that mentioned that the Royal had French Balconies . . . .

I was also surprised at the amount of people that suggest that I should not have ruled out the Grand Princess. . . .

---

French Balconies:

• Royal, Majestic, and all other Royal Class ships do NOT have French balconies, but their regular balconies are very small compared to regular balconies on Grand Class ship.  The Royal Class regular balconies will fit regular deck chairs but not reclining chairs -- except maybe for only 1 reclining chair placed lengthwise which I have not seen done.  (I don't know of any Princess ships with French balconies, but there are Carnival ships with some cabins with French balconies.)

Grand Princess vs Royal and Majestic:

• -My last 4 cruises before the pandemic were all on Royal Princess in November and December in 2019, and February 2020.  Just last month I cruised on Grand Princess for 13 nights and Majestic Princess for 7 nights.  However, none of these sailings were to Alaska during these times, of course.

• In a regular balcony for Glacier Bay I always would take Grand Princess over Majestic and Royal.  For the best views when not staying in my balcony, I would be on the full promenade that Grand Princess has (and Majestic/Royal do not).  Between only Majestic and Royal, Majestic wins because of its free viewing area from the Hollywood Conservatory.

• We like the service and crews of all three ships, but in our experience Grand Princess has a level of service one level above the other two.  I echo  @Cruise Raider's comments about Grand's "most amazing crew of all times" as well as happiest crew [from another thread]. 

Grand Princess may also have the friendliest crew in the fleet:  the only ship we have have ever cruised where almost every crew member (from officers to stewards to maintenance staff) passing near us in the cabin hallways and non-busy corridors makes it a point to say hello to us [in a unforced way].

• I also agree with Cruise Raider's observation that Grand Princess looks great now.  Grand Princess doesn't look at all like an older ship to us now -- just very classic in a good way.  She also definitely looks to be in better shape to us than Ruby Princess now -- another ship we sailed last month, that also sails to Alaska.

-----

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moondoggy51 said:

My wife and I want to go on 11 Day Denali Tour/Cruse and we've narrowed things down to the FB4 cruise that starts in Fairbanks with the Denali overland part first with the ship leaving Anchorage and ending in Vancouver.  We have rules out the oldest and smallest ship (The Grand Princess) and have narrowed our selection further to either the Majestic Princess or the Royal Princess.  The Majestic Princess is newer by 3 years (2017 vs 2013) but size-wise they are about the same.  If there's anyone that has cruised on both ships, could you please share your opinion on which one is better.?  Additionally, if anyone has been on either ship but not both I would appreciate your comments as well.

Right now dates are optional but we want to cruise at a time when the weather is best so any insight in that regard would be appreciated as well.

The Grand would be my first choice for all the reasons others mentioned and also because it does the inside passage. Royal and Majestic are too large.  If it is between Majestic and Royal though, I would pick Majestic.

I was on the Majestic in Alaska in August. I had a great time. My personal preference would have been for a pre-Royal Class ship, but they weren't sailing at the time. It helped that we were at about 70% occupancy. I never had a problem finding a great place to watch the scenery as we sailed. I was in an inside cabin. 

The Majestic has many of the same problems introduced with the Royal: lack of a walkable promenade, Princess Live, and smaller balconies. We have sailed on the Royal a couple of times and the Regal once.

14 hours ago, Moondoggy51 said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I'm a bit confused about one reply that mentioned that the Royal had French Balconies but after getting a definition of what a French Balcony is I found several YouTube videos out there that appeared to show that the Royal Princess had regular balconies so I'm confused.

I was also surprised at the amount of people that suggest that I should not have ruled out the Grand Princess.  Since this would only be our 3rd cruise and both of two we've taken were in the Caribbean I'm wondering if there's any thing else that I should be aware of before a make my final selection so if anyone else has more feedback to offer since this is an Alaskan cruise, please let me know.  I think we've narrowed our timeframe to July or August. 

It is the reaction of some cruisers to the smaller balcony size on the Royal class ships, including Majestic. Wide enough to sit but not enough for a lounge chair.

Much smaller than those on the older Grand class.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DougH said:

Late May to first week June first choice, mid to late May 2nd. Sept is real iffy weather wise for me and way too dark. By far my last choice of the year. I was there 3rd week in Aug this year and even then too dark. My favorite time in Alaska is to be out on the open deck after dinner when you can still see. Be sure and be out on deck for at least a couple of hours after sail away from Whittier, this is some of the best scenery on the trip

I totally agree.  We've to Alaska in May and June and Glacier Bay, esp. was spectacular.  Once I took my sister on a cruise to Alaska in Sept. and GB was devoid of snow for the most part and not very appealing.  It also rained a lot on that cruise.