The Daily for Saturday December 11, 2021

richwmn

Today is Holiday Food Drive for Needy Animals Day, International Mountain Day, and National Have a Bagel Day

There is no wealth but life. - John Ruskin

Meal suggestion for today - Best Ever Prime Rib

Drink of the Day - Rose Kennedy Cocktail

Wine of the day - Frescobaldi Pater Sangiovese - Italy - Red

Destination of the Day - Parintins Brazil

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego CA US eta 12/12

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas
Rotterdam 08:00 - 15:00

Nassau Bahamas
Nieuw Statendam

Panama Canal
Eurodam 05:00 - 05:00

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 12/12

Augusta IT
Volendam

Corfu GR
Zaandam

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Princess Cays
Noordam

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam Shipyard

1211World.thumb.png.9fbbff43be2d7021a51996da9afdb0ed.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's windy and rainy here, hope the power stays on.

Interesting collection of days.  I often donate dog food during a food drive.  Living in a mountain community would certainly different than living on flat land.  I love bagels.

Great quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good.  Hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers to everyone.

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the Bagel but salute Mountains and Food for Needy Animals.  There is a lot of truth in the Ruskin quote.  Love Prime Rib.  I know I've been to Parintins on the Elegant Explorer but not sure if/when I'll have time to find photos.  I have my labs for my physical this morning and then several errands.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui and healing for Jose
RIP StLouisCruiser DMIL
Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Eruptions in Las Palmas and Indonesia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
positive biopsies for summer slope and Mtn2sea
From the rotation:
summer slope BCC surgery in February
rafinmd undergoing radiation
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
1 day for MissG (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/9)
1 day for Seasick Sailor(Rotterdam to 1/16)
Bob Voyage NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23)
Quartize Cruiser and Heartgrove (Koningsdam to 12/12),_Lindaler (Rotterdam to 2 Jan) , Cruisin Terri (Riviera to 12/13), Sea Viewer (Allure OTS until 12/19) and Crazy for Cats (NCL Dawn to 12/19)
Congratulations StLouisCrhusers DGD Ashley
Welcome home garlictown
Kazu helping her stepson on his mother’s death arrangements
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report and lists.  Going to try and find a Christmas tree again today after coming up empty handed last evening, not a 9 footer to be found.  Nice collection of days, I haven’t had a bagel in ages. The quote is spot on.  The meal suggestion sounds delicious, yum prime rib!  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on today’s list and cheers to those celebrating happy events.

• Like 24

15 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those on the care list and also all those who have been affected or lost their lives in the awful tornadoes overnight. 😥

I heard about the tornadoes on the radio.

Prayers to all in the affected areas.

• Like 15

Good afternoon from a rainy 41°F NE coast of England.

Good days today.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the lists.

I like a bagel 🥯.

No animals should be left to starve.

Interesting quote and food although I will give the drink and wine a miss.

Looking forward to seeing photos of today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.

Graham.

16392253905187343071382028216571.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. 

Prayers out and up to Roy for your appointment and to Jacqui and Jose. I hope and pray for our group. I believe the celebration list is a bit longer than the cares list thus morning. Also praying for the people caught in the Amazon warehouse collapse in Illinois as well as the tornado victims. 

I love prime rib, really rare with hot horseradish and lots of au gu. 

We still support our shelter from our previous town. At one time there was a pup called Paisley at the shelter and our @DeeniEncinitassent money to them. (Denise we miss you. Stop by and say hi when you can. Love to you)

Nothing left to do here til our ride to the airport. It is expected to be a high of 56 today. We get into FLL at 7 tonight to mid 70's. Beautiful!

Take care, God bless and sending prayers to all.

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone.  

Continued prayers and warm thoughts for @kazu Jacqui and Jose.   May they feel God's healing grace.  

Not much planned here today.  I have a Zoom meeting with my state council this morning.  Then I have a few errands I need to run.

My grandmother loved to serve Prime Rib.  We had it for major holidays like New Year's Day and Easter.  She always rubbed the outside of the roast with vinegar before seasoning.  She said the acid in the vinegar gave it a light sear and helped keep the juices in.  I think she just used a salt and pepper seasoning on the roast and then in the oven it went.  

This first recipe is from Chef John and he claims it is the perfect prime rib.  He also says you have to have a modern digital oven.  Hmmm   https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/221958/chef-johns-perfect-prime-rib/

1273580241_Besteverprimerib.thumb.jpg.b49c60dd284f3261504a1429683b4c9d.jpg

Another tip is to pull the roast just before it is done and let it stand before carving.  Grandma always pulled the roast out and covered it with foil while they finished the vegetables, potatoes, and gravy.  She said to let it set a minimum of 30 minutes.  https://www.recipetineats.com/standing-rib-roast/

639102534_Besteverprimerib2.thumb.jpg.8ef763c5bd014aa3b6141f1275684443.jpg

This next one uses a garlic herb rub on the roast before cooking.  

517688029_Besteverprimerib4.jpg.95339f90aa84f4dc130bd2a3d82762b8.jpg

They cut the bones off first and then tie them back on.  You want the bones for added flavor.  They claim that cutting them off first makes it easier to slice the roast when it is done.

https://therecipecritic.com/prime_rib_recipe/

1508259180_Besteverprimerib3.thumb.jpg.c62e34f0d1307ab50c7f497057dc0b06.jpg

Enjoy.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 10

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon from a rainy 41°F NE coast of England.

Good days today.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the lists.

I like a bagel 🥯.

No animals should be left to starve.

Interesting quote and food although I will give the drink and wine a miss.

Looking forward to seeing photos of today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.

Graham.

16392253905187343071382028216571.jpg

Graham this must be your favorite coffee stop by the ocean. Looks chilly today for sure! Hi to Pauline!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I received an email a few minutes ago from someone I think is @JAM37

I have been in "CC jail" since yesterday and am wondering if you would mind letting the Daily family that I am thinking of you all and will check in when I can over the next 12 days. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 15

5 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I received an email a few minutes ago from someone I think is @JAM37

I have been in "CC jail" since yesterday and am wondering if you would mind letting the Daily family that I am thinking of you all and will check in when I can over the next 12 days. 

I kept getting 404 Error messages yesterday for a large part of the afternoon.  Cleared up later in the day.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

@dfish The prime rib recipes look delicious! 

When I was young my great aunt made every roast you can imagine. Goose, duck, pork, beef etc. She always used this huge roasting pan, even for a small chicken. So when I got older, I bought a roaster just like Aunty. My mom asked me one day why I used the monster roaster and I said that's what Aunty used. Mom said she used it because it was all she had. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 17

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Graham this must be your favorite coffee stop by the ocean. Looks chilly today for sure! Hi to Pauline!

Thank you.

It is only 5 minutes drive from home.

There is a cafe in the car park although we often get hot drinks from McDonald's drive through which is only 2 minutes drive away.

Hope you have a nice flight to Florida and a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

16392274477513029150978817242736.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

Interesting collection of days. The prime rib resipes all look great.

Watching the news about the horrible tornado damage done last night, It seems that no place is safe from extreme weather.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone   thanks for the daily report.  Tonight's dinner will be on Los Lobos, their Mexican restaurant.   Today is a sea day and I am planning on going to the CC Meet and Greet.

So far the entertainment has been better than HAL.  We know that HAL sets a low bar.  While I differ with many here on masking I didn't appreciate the comedian mocking those that choose to wear a mask.

Since the restart many have complained about the cruise log being less than before.  Yesterday we got a notice that you can get one for $8.95. 

We also got a coupon for one laundry by the bag, $29.  Otherwise is per piece pricing. Another place we're HAL is superior. 

I hope that everyone has a good day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Whenever there's a food drive, we always include a big bag of cat food - one of the volunteers there said it was really appreciated, as pets are often forgotten in the food department.  Mountains are beautiful, but we have to travel at least 8 hours in order to see any.  Gosh, I haven't had a bagel in ages - we had a chain "The Great Canadian Bagel" in our city for years, but all at once, they disappeared.

Today's quote is so very true.  We haven't been to today's port, but I have had the wine, which was very nice.

I'm sorry to hear about the tornadoes overnight - how awful!  Prayers for those involved.  Saying prayers for strength for Jacqui @kazu and Jose, and for the medical team involved. 

I've been doing battle with our Canada Post; in the middle of last week I sent a little package to Calgary for our grandson's 2nd birthday, paid extra for "Express Post", yet it had not arrived 7 days later.  The tracking document said it had been delivered to the community mailbox and would not accept a claim.  Well don't mess with this Grandma!  I got on the phone and had a rather spirited conversation with someone in their customer service dept.  At the end of the call, the person told me they would refund the postage as well as the cost of the package and I should receive the refund in 10 business days.  We shall see . . . grrr.

Both DH and I prefer our beef much more well done than you usually get from prime rib - in fact, we often ask to have the pieces seared before they are plated for us.  I know for your prime rib aficionados, that must be pure sacrilege,  but we both grew up where a roast was put into the oven until it was cooked all the way through.  For tonight, I've got a ham and potato casserole that I'll be putting in the oven and will serve it with some stir-fried vegetables.  And wine.

I know Jacqui hasn't been around a lot to provide us with some funny memes, so I thought I'd share this one with you - it gave me a good laugh, as I saw myself in it!

567116014_SmilingCat.thumb.jpg.bde6059758e96fb5692bcb4f21c9f503.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for our dear CC family, and all those involved in the tornadoes.  Raising the glasses to cheer all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, be well and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Haha 4

Happy Saturday.  Gave our box for the human food drive yesterday, will drop of several bags of food to the Humane society Monday.  No mountains in Florida, and we have bagels several times a week.  Interesting quote.  Will pass on the meal, I'm one of the few people who do not like prime rib.  Have not been to today's destination, can't wait to see the photo's.

New printer works great but is so much slower than our old one.  Started pulling clothes and trying them on to see if they missed me and are hugging me tightly.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Congratulations to @StLouisCruisersgrand daughter.  Puerto Vallarta is where we had to get off the ship in March, 2020. Is the new mall finished at the one dock?  Virtual hugs to @kazu.  Horrible news about the tornado's.

Rose Kennedy Cocktail:

Ingredients
Ice Cubes
1 Part Absolut Grapefruit
1 Part Soda Water
1 Splash Cranberry Juice
1 Wedge Lemon

How to make
Fill a rocks glass with ice. Pour vodka, soda water and add a splash of cranberry juice. Garnish with a lemon wedge. We recommend trying this one with Absolut Grapefruit, but it also tastes great with Absolut Citron or Absolut Vodka.
Story about Rose Kennedy Cocktail
The Rose Kennedy Cocktail is named after the mother of John F Kennedy, Rose Kennedy, the matriarch of the Kennedy clan. This drink is also known under the names VSS, Fire Engine, The Michelle, The White Girl and Vodka Soda Splash.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 8.17.40 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Good morning Daily-ites.  We did finish decorating the tree between telemarketing calls.  The new fur baby, Furnando loved the smell of the real tree, and slept in the chair next to tree for two days.  All was well until we added an owl ornament. and his eyes got wide, he jumped out of the chair and went for the attack.  Owl removed immediately and put higher up on the other side of the tree.

your-ornaments-christmas-song-memes.jpg

Prayers to all on the prayer list, and for those folks that were affected by the tornados last night.  The fact that one tornado traveled through 4 states, and did so much damage in KY is amazing.  Storms headed our way this afternoon, at least during day light hours.  And then I see we get cold weather, and well, winter.

• Like 26
  • Haha 2

Good morning! Prayers for the folks in Kentucky. The tornado’s last night caused such devastation and so many fatalities. Town of Mayfield just leveled! If your in the path of this storm pay attention.

I had to look up International Mountain Day!

It’s a foggy morning but should clear up.

Meal suggestion is tempting me to go out and buy a prime rib and cook it on our Farberware Rotisserie!

Rich, Thanks for the Daily and to all who contribute. Have a great day everyone.

• Like 21