The Daily for Saturday December 18, 2021

richwmn

Today is Bake Cookies Day, Wreaths Across America Day, and International Migrants Day

The reason there are two senators for each state is so that one can be the designated driver. - Jay Leno

Meal suggestion for today - Keto Meatballs

Drink of the Day - Brown Derby

Wine of the day - Stags leap Chardonnay - California - White

Destination of the Day - Kaohsiung Taiwan

Ships with Passengers

Aruba
Rotterdam 08:00 - 23:00

At Sea Caribbesn
Nieuw Statendam Port Everglades eta 12/19

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego CA US eta 12/19

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos
Eurodam 08:00 - 17:00

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 16:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Gulf of California
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 12/19

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Noordam Anchorage

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam Shipyard

San Diego CA US
Zuiderdam1218Caribbean.thumb.png.435a021cc86d3c687a4f37fe01f986f6.png

1218NAmericaW.thumb.png.cbe85e5197f99243fb972cf5584d89d5.png

1218Europe.thumb.png.4fb888e4a89a5684d943379d9bddb90b.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 11

Must leave soon for walk and errands but here is today's lists:

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui and healing as Jose declines
Himself with Covid

Midwest tornado area
Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Eruptions in Las Palmas and Indonesia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
StLouisCruisers Niece DH with throat cancer surgery 12/20
lazey1's BIL with Covid
From the rotation:
My travel agent recovering from esophageal blockage
Grapau27 awaiting MOHS surgery 24 Decenber with pre-test 21 Decenber
summer slope BCC surgery in February
positive biopsy for Mtn2Sea appointment early January

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Torquer
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
3 days for Zuiderdam
3 days fir Ichib an Nekko (Nieuw Amsterdam to 1/8)
4 days for Rich and Sharon (Rotterdam to 2 Jan)
Lindaler (2 Jan) and Seasick Sailor(Rotterdam to 1/16) , MissG (Nieuw Statendam to 1/9),  NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23), Sea Viewer (Allure OTS until 12/19) and Crazy for Cats (NCL Dawn to 12/19)
Congrats to Aliaschief DD pinning
New Camila photo
Surprise visit Monday from Niece for Durangoscots
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

No cookie baking today, I've done enough already.🙂

Amusing quote.

I'm not sure about the dinner suggestion, I'll wait until I see the recipe.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Hope we hear some good news from Jacqui.🙏

Have a wonderful Saturday.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Good morning all!

I figured I try posting again today; I’ve just about given up with posts disappearing or insisting on taking over the beginning of the day thread 🤦‍♀️.

No cookie baking for me, too difficult and really I’m not that enthused about it. I love wreaths, Christmas and otherwise. Migrant farm workers have always worked our crops in the USA. While at Eckerts Farms to pick apples one day, I met one of the workers, he was from a town in Mexico and spoke no English. We should think about the workers when looking at the abundance of fruits and vegetables in your our grocery stores.

Thank you, Jay Leno, for the laugh. I’m going to say, for Missouri, Roy Blunt is the designated driver because Josh Hawley sounds like he has been hitting the hard stuff. Of course Blunt is no great shakes either. However I must thank them for this weeks passage of the ACT for ALS bill which will fund research and drug development. 

Haven’t been to Taiwan. I’ll skip the meatballs and the brown derby, think I’ve had the wine, but not sure.

My fervent prayers 🙏 go out to all on the cares list and thankfully we can join vicariously in some happy times 🍷. (Loved the picture of Camilla, her smile was radiant!)

Take care all,

St Louis Sal 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a cold 34°F and frosty NE England.

It is 2 years today since I had my Heart Attack.

Thank you Rich for today's daily and fleet reports and Roy for keeping all the various lists up to date and my inclusion on the rotation.

Absolute respect to all the servicemen on Wreath day.

We buy our cookies.

Funny quote although I'm sure they both do fantastic jobs for their State's.

Not sure about the food but any white wine is potentially nice.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who will benefit from them.

Our thoughts for Jacqui and Jose and best wishes to Roy for his daily radiation treatment.

Take care and stay safe everyone 😷.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211218_120743.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks for the daily report Rich and lists Roy.  I’ll be wrapping gifts today so no time for cookies.  We should all try and put ourselves in migrants shoes to try and understand them better.  Funny quote by Leno. Meatballs sound good.  Haven’t been to today’s port, will have to enjoy through the pictures.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 22

National Wreaths Across America Day December 18, 2021

Each December on National Wreaths Across America Day, our mission to Remember, Honor and Teach is carried out by coordinating wreath-laying ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery, as well as at more than 2,500 additional locations in all 50 U.S. states, at sea and abroad.

https://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  I'm baking cookies today for our handyman.  That's all he wants. 

Have not been to today's destination, looking forward to the photo's.

Wish @Himselfwould post, really worried about him.  Also, major prayers for @kazuand Jose.

Virtual hugs to all on our lists, care and celebration.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Brown Derby:

Ingredients

2 oz. bourbon
1 oz. grapefruit juice
½ oz. rich honey syrup (3:1)
Tools:shaker, strainer
Glass:cocktail
Preparation
Shake ingredients with ice until chilled, then strain into a chilled glass.

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 7.43.43 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  There have been several Bake Cookies days for me recently; I think today I'll make DH's favourite ginger snaps.  I like the tradition of putting wreaths on all the graves of those who served for us.  If you think of it, most of us wouldn't be here if it weren't for migrants - our ancestors.

It's a frosty morning here on the "frozen tundra", -26C with a wind chill of -35; we're under an extreme cold warning that hopefully will lift later on in the day as a push of warmer air enters the province.

Yesterday was productive, as I did more baking, wrapped more gifts, and was able to give some of both away as people brought us things.  It's interesting, as we used to have people drop in and stay for coffee or a drink, before seeing them off and wishing them the joys of the season.  Now with this darned Covid, everyone basically stands at the front door, gives air hugs, and they're gone.  I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting this pandemic to end.  

In addition to helping warm the house by baking cookies, today is a good day to make up a big batch of porcupine balls - most of which will be frozen and taken with us to Calgary.  I'll keep a small casserole full for us and will bake them up for dinner tonight.  Served with mashed potatoes and green beans, that will make a nice dinner for us this evening.  And wine.

365613024_EatHealthy.thumb.jpg.8cb9e7ba17b8588ed156820bf0132605.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jacqui for strength, for Jose to heal, and for Jose's medical team to reach a consensus as to what's causing his poor health.  Also praying for those who have lost family members this holiday season (we know 2 friends who have experienced loss this past week).  Be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, stay safe, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Thank your for today’s Daily, Rich. Great combination of days. I volunteered with the Wreaths Across America team during my DC days. I shared an office with a retired marine Sargent my first two years there and became friends with him and his wife. We volunteered together.  They eventually moved to Cincinnati, but I would send them pictures from each years effort. It never ceased moving me to tears. All those young lives across the decades, and we still haven’t figured out how to stop the senseless killing. 

I am off to an early Pilates class, but in honor of cookies & our own gingerbread cookie baker, Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser…..

46C2EE2C-36B1-44FB-A1FF-EE349F186EBD.jpeg.5dd4660ad8fbeeb54ec43fd086c94d74.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone. 

Stags leap Chardonnay

I used the 2019 Karia Chardonnay, since it sounded very intriguing and had the best ratings. Numerous distributors with prices starting at $24.99. 

Winemaker Notes

This is a graceful Chardonnay with aromas of citrus and subtle tropical fruit notes along with apricot, toasted almonds and orange blossom. Medium to full-bodied, the wine has a silky texture and refreshing and flavorful finish with a touch of minerality.

Try pairing this Chardonnay with grilled chicken with lemon aioli, grilled salmon with a cucumber, tomato and fresh dill salsa or roast chicken breast stuffed with spinach and feta cheese.

JS92
James Suckling
Apple tart with some stone and toffee aromas, as well as some flint, following through to a medium-to full-bodied, tight and compact palate with some creaminess. Tight finish. Drink or hold.
WS91
Wine Spectator
This well-knit white is filled with a juicy basket of white peach, ruby grapefruit and lemon curd flavors. Pastry accents midpalate lead to the voluptuously spiced finish. Drink now through 2024. 26,400 cases made.
WE91
Wine Enthusiast

Made in a full-bodied style, with a grip of oak laden in baking spice, this wine is complex and well structured. Peach and pear flavors add to the richness and enduring softness of the texture.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  There have been several Bake Cookies days for me recently; I think today I'll make DH's favourite ginger snaps.  I like the tradition of putting wreaths on all the graves of those who served for us.  If you think of it, most of us wouldn't be here if it weren't for migrants - our ancestors.

It's a frosty morning here on the "frozen tundra", -26C with a wind chill of -35; we're under an extreme cold warning that hopefully will lift later on in the day as a push of warmer air enters the province.

Yesterday was productive, as I did more baking, wrapped more gifts, and was able to give some of both away as people brought us things.  It's interesting, as we used to have people drop in and stay for coffee or a drink, before seeing them off and wishing them the joys of the season.  Now with this darned Covid, everyone basically stands at the front door, gives air hugs, and they're gone.  I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting this pandemic to end.  

In addition to helping warm the house by baking cookies, today is a good day to make up a big batch of porcupine balls - most of which will be frozen and taken with us to Calgary.  I'll keep a small casserole full for us and will bake them up for dinner tonight.  Served with mashed potatoes and green beans, that will make a nice dinner for us this evening.  And wine.

365613024_EatHealthy.thumb.jpg.8cb9e7ba17b8588ed156820bf0132605.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jacqui for strength, for Jose to heal, and for Jose's medical team to reach a consensus as to what's causing his poor health.  Also praying for those who have lost family members this holiday season (we know 2 friends who have experienced loss this past week).  Be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, stay safe, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I'm sorry to hear of your friends who have lost loved ones this past week Gerry.

Sending our condolences to them and their families.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! Got to enjoy watching my beautiful granddaughter turn six yesterday and today we get to celebrate our daughter's birthday.

This morning I’m taking the gals for pedicures. Going to get one myself. One of lives great joys. Then we are off to a great pizza place for  more birthday party fun.

Continued concerns and prayers for our fellow CC members and a special thanks for all the volunteers and donors who make Wreath Across America possible.

Have a great day.

• Like 29

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Weekend to all!

Our local library announced that they had the BiinaxNOW tests for free, to just contact them for the number needed and then they were available for pickup. Sue ran for them on Tuesday. We thought our trip last week had a greater chance for infection so wanted to follow our Health District's suggestion to test. Domestic travel is a bit more dicey than our trip to Iceland this past Summer which required everyone to be tested negative in both directions. The expiration date on the package precluded us using them for our January cruise but we figured it could serve as a trial run for the future cruises.

We did the test yesterday as the recommendation is 3-5 days for incubation. It really was as easy as people have indicated. Two recommendations I have is to not use a phone and have plenty of light. We used our laptops which worked well as you need to keep the test card in view for the proctors. Both of us were negative which gave me a sigh of relief as I have the symptoms of a cold since yesterday.  I made a trip out on Wednesday to get Sam's meds and actually was using a KN95 mask while out but must have touched something along the way. 

Now I am wearing a mask indoors! 

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all.  Cloudy and in the low 60's this morning outside Atlanta.  Tomorrows low will be in the 30's. 

One of the feral cats has disappeared.  The keeper of the yard keeps running to the door, and then looking out into the yard, and then running to the end of the car port, and then back,  I know she is missing her buddy.  I hope he comes back soon.  And the trash was hit by the raccoons last night.  I have a mess to clean up.

There is a restaurant that DH and I like going to, it's between our dentist and our house, and we used to go there a lot, but since neither of us have needed the dentist recently, we haven't been to the restaurant.  I have been eating there since 1980-Thai Restaurant of Norcross.  One perk that they have(besides great food) is that at the end of the year, they hand out calendars.  We decided that we would have lunch there today, but didn't know if they were open for lunch on Saturdays, so we "googled" the restaurant, and found out that tomorrow is there last day at that location.  And yes, they are open for lunch, so we are doing Thai for lunch today.

Before we go though, I have to do the Christmas shopping.  So off I go, hope you all have a wonderful day.

25b589e33c2b4255ac81f6efd58e0d02.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good morning everyone. Nice collection of days. Yesterday I had my first visit with a cardiologist, not because anything was wrong, but because one of my doctors said everyone my age should have a cardiologist. He is also Sam’s cardiologist and said if I’ve survived the last 6 months I don’t need a stress test. I agree.

Continued prayers for himself and Jacqui and Jose and all who need them.

Stay well everyone,

Carol

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Got to enjoy watching my beautiful granddaughter turn six yesterday and today we get to celebrate our daughter's birthday.

This morning I’m taking the gals for pedicures. Going to get one myself. One of lives great joys. Then we are off to a great pizza place for  more birthday party fun.

Continued concerns and prayers for our fellow CC members and a special thanks for all the volunteers and donors who make Wreath Across America possible.

Have a great day.

What special memories you are creating with “the girls”, Bruce!

• Like 22

Well, lately we have really been visiting many of the ports from our Diamond Princess cruise in 2014. Today is no exception.

We'll  start with Lotus Lake which was amazing and very hot.  This is just a small sample of the elaborate displays. I post the single lotus because it has always looked almost like a watercolor to me. And look at the lovely little shade areas they provide for the turtles.

At Lotus Lake (14).JPG

At Lotus Lake (22).JPG

At Lotus Lake (27).JPG

At Lotus Lake (35).JPG

At Lotus Lake (37).JPG

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

17 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Have a great day.

Happy belated birthday for your granddaughter and Happy Birthday today for your daughter.

I hope you have a fantastic day together.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211206_183417.jpg

• Like 20