The Daily for Friday 12/31/2021

richwmn

Good morning, everyone.   

It sure is nice to be home and I slept well in my own bed.   I have a lot of work to do tonight.  I'm making chicken wings and sauerkraut balls for tomorrow.   I also have to get to the grocery store and stock up.  I don't usually do anything for New Year's Eve.  I've always thought it was a bit over rated as a  holiday.   New Year's Day Tom and I watch the Rose Bowl and eat food that isn't good for us.  Resolutions start on January 2nd.  

abstract-golden-glitter-background-celebration-christmas-background-67899267.jpg.fc5f75de344a5120034e2f9010bbf91b.jpg

Today's meal does sound wonderful.  If you're celebrating tonight, it would be a great meal to have.  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pan-roasted-lobster-chive-beurre-blanc  

pan-roasted-lobster-with-chive-2221856l1.jpg.48068414f2c03411f3cce18ddf65ace4.jpg

Here's hoping everyone has a great last day of 2021 and that 2022 brings us much joy and happiness.  Prayers for those who need them and warm thoughts and wishes to go with the prayers. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 8

OK.....WE CAN DO THIS.......!!!!  🙂

FYI....2022 is a Red Letter Year for genealogist...old and new.....census are only taken every 10 years and due to confidentiality...only released every 10 years...

The 1921 England and Wales census will be released on 6 January 2022....

And....the 1950 U.S. census is due to be released in April 2022...

(I am most anxious for the 1950 census...even tho...my parents and I were living on a U.S. Naval Base in Japan right then....so....I'm not quite sure how that will show up...!!)

HAPPY NEW YEAR.....!!!   Keep staying safe....so we can all plan our next escapes....:)

2022.jpg

• Like 25
  • Haha 13

Happy New Years Eve.  Not fired.  LOL  Interesting group of days and I laughed out loud at the Benny quote.  @Seasick Sailor, Joy thank you so much for telling us about the eMed tests.  Just finished and we both are negative.  Will buy you a drink Sunday night.

Would love someone to serve us the meal suggestion.  Have not been to today's destination, looking forward to the photo's.

Prayers for our Care list.  Jacqui and Jose extra virtual hugs.

Toasts 🍸to our celebration list.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

New Year's Eve Sparkler:

Ingredients
1 ounce berry-flavored vodka
1 1/2 ounces pomegranate or cranberry juice
3 1/2 ounces Champagne, chilled, to top
 Garnish: skewered raspberries
Steps
Add the vodka and pomegranate or cranberry juice to a chilled Champagne flute.
Top with the Champagne.
Garnish with raspberries on a long skewer.

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 8.10.13 AM.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. All.  We visited Tauranga on the Noordam and had a wonderful time visiting The Hobbiton movie set.  It far exceeded expectations.  

We will have a quiet NYE — early dinner with DD and DSIL.  I’m up early now and thinking about resolutions.  Adjustments are probably in order because of this surprise new covid onslaught.  Any resolutions will probably center on how to handle this new challenge with grace. 

As the year ends, I want to once again give thanks to Rich and all contributors to the Daily.

We will definitely be raising a glass tonight to those Dailyites who are celebrating, and we will take a moment to offer up prayers for the many here who are troubled.  Wishing all a lovely Friday, this last day of 2021. And…

D130FE34-E2ED-4331-A269-7D136812EEE2.thumb.jpeg.85d3cb4dc5552170a370f34b8505aca6.jpeg

• Like 37

Good morning all and thank you for your tireless reporting Rich and Roy, I really appreciate your hard work and look forward to it every day.  One last day to make up our minds in 2021.  Happy New Year’s Eve and happy birthday to my sister Patricia!  If those dud scratch tickets that I got in my Christmas stocking are any indication, every day is bad luck day, for me.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice but we’ll be making scallop and shrimp Fra Diavolo with homemade linguine this evening paired with a bottle of Veuve Cliquot yellow label to toast in the new year.  I like Jack Benny’s quote.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on today’s list and 🍾🥂to everyone celebrating happy events!  

• Like 30

Good morning friends!  Happy New Year's Eve to all!  Thanks to Rich and Roy for their Daily contributions that help us get our day started.  Many thanks to Jacqui for her additions and memes that give us all a laugh or something to think about.  Sorry to hear Marley has an infection but at least the vet knows what to do about it.  Praying that things turn around soon for Jose so that he too can be on the road to recovery.  Many prayers said this morning for all listed on the Care list.  Good news from my twin that her SIL is feeling better and not sleeping so much.  I think he has a bigger appetite now too.  Cheers to all our Celebration list people.  May we all have a blessed and joyous new year ahead of us.

Interesting group of days to celebrate today.  Unlucky Day is not so great, but New Years Eve of course is a winner.  Make up your mind day is sometimes a conundrum as we dither about.  @NCTribeFanI say go for the MSC cruise!  There, I've made up your mind!  Love the Jack Benny quote.  What a dry sense of humor he had.  @grapau27Graham, the pizza looked yummy and you and Pauline look like you are enjoying every minute of every day, just as you resolved.  You've had an early start on that resolution.

2021 has been a year of loss for us as you all know.  My sister, DH's Mother, our friend John.  Another friend who I haven't heard anything back from is on my mind.  She has ALS which was just diagnosed this year.  I'll keep trying to contact her and see if I can find anything out.  We will miss our loved ones but try to remember to live our lives as if it were our last day.  Hopefully we have many years left but you just never know.

Another lovely port today, Tauranga!  We've been twice and always enjoy it.  Photos soon.

For all those who have celebrated the stroke of midnight already, Happy New Year to you.  I saw the fireworks in Sydney a while ago and they did a bang-up job of it.🥂🥳🎉🎇  I plan to be asleep at that hour and pray none of my neighbors back over my mailbox this year as they leave the party next door!😲

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Toasts to everyone on the Daily and even those who are shy and don't post!  Here's some of our 2016-2017 celebration on our Seabourn Antarctica cruise.  We are normally not on a ship on NYE but that was a special occasion.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJdYyR4ncD-7SRcOYVtCvv2?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485995790

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIP0tsKSyw2VI_AJ_0evOnj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485995795

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJy_3qn31mtluBHs6eqX63?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1485995795

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIOMnIfYt6zMT-URQua1nj_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1484530532

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Happy New Year's Eve to all!  Thanks to Rich and Roy for their Daily contributions that help us get our day started.  Many thanks to Jacqui for her additions and memes that give us all a laugh or something to think about.  Sorry to hear Marley has an infection but at least the vet knows what to do about it.  Praying that things turn around soon for Jose so that he too can be on the road to recovery.  Many prayers said this morning for all listed on the Care list.  Good news from my twin that her SIL is feeling better and not sleeping so much.  I think he has a bigger appetite now too.  Cheers to all our Celebration list people.  May we all have a blessed and joyous new year ahead of us.

Interesting group of days to celebrate today.  Unlucky Day is not so great, but New Years Eve of course is a winner.  Make up your mind day is sometimes a conundrum as we dither about.  @NCTribeFanI say go for the MSC cruise!  There, I've made up your mind!  Love the Jack Benny quote.  What a dry sense of humor he had.  @grapau27Graham, the pizza looked yummy and you and Pauline look like you are enjoying every minute of every day, just as you resolved.  You've had an early start on that resolution.

2021 has been a year of loss for us as you all know.  My sister, DH's Mother, our friend John.  Another friend who I haven't heard anything back from is on my mind.  She has ALS which was just diagnosed this year.  I'll keep trying to contact her and see if I can find anything out.  We will miss our loved ones but try to remember to live our lives as if it were our last day.  Hopefully we have many years left but you just never know.

Another lovely port today, Tauranga!  We've been twice and always enjoy it.  Photos soon.

For all those who have celebrated the stroke of midnight already, Happy New Year to you.  I saw the fireworks in Sydney a while ago and they did a bang-up job of it.🥂🥳🎉🎇  I plan to be asleep at that hour and pray none of my neighbors back over my mailbox this year as they leave the party next door!😲

Thank you Sandi.

I hope you both have a nice night tonight and a brilliant 2022.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm a fairly decisive person, so when I make up my mind to do something, I'm good with it.  Happy New Year's Eve to everyone here.  Unlucky Day?  I don't think so!

Yesterday should have been fairly routine, but certainly took some interesting turns.  DH had a medical scheduled which included x-rays and blood work, so off to the doctor's office we went (even though it was 2,000 degrees below 0).  The roads were fairly slick, but DH is a good driver and knows how to navigate all kinds of terrain.  After seeing the doc, we went about 2 miles for his x ray and that's where the wheels fell off the bus.  I don't know if people forgot what it's like to drive on slick streets, but we were held up nearly an hour waiting for a number of fender-benders to be cleared so we could get through.  

After the medical part of the morning was done, we thought we'd have a final Five Guys burger fix for 2021, and headed across the city to find lunch . . . more delays as people were in the ditches, some were still on the roads facing the wrong direction, etc.  We just kept shaking our heads, unable to believe the stupidity.  LOL  Lunch finished, we headed home, but had to pick up some champagne to help usher in the new year.  While we were there, I decided to get another Cardboardeaux to help get through this cold spell, then on to the pharmacy so DH could get his new prescriptions.  Another delay as there was a semi-trailer jack-knifed in the middle of the freeway, so the day's errands took almost 6 hours from the time we left the house.  And to top it off, I forgot to get the distilled water for my CPAP.  Well, at least I had my wine . . . priorities, you know.

I really like today's menu suggestion, but we've decided we'll be ordering in from our favourite Italian restaurant.  DH will have Penne alla Campesino, a creamy chicken curry pasta dish, while I will order Penne alla Gigi with mushrooms, pancetta, prosciuitto, and peas.  We'll finish with by sharing a slice of their delicious chocolate tower cake.  And wine.

I want to thank you all for being part of my Daily life this past year - it's been great getting to know you and to be a part of such a caring group of people.  Let's hope the next year is better than this one and brings good health and happiness to all.

2021.thumb.jpg.b6ba46e7790fb14c54f4d266b91ace62.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jacqui, Jose, his medical team, and for Marley as well, and all those who have suffered poor health and family/friend loss this past year.  We'll raise our glasses at dinner tonight (and again at midnight) to celebrate all on the happy list and to wish everyone well.  Stay safe, wash your hands, be well, wear your masks, get your boosters, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 39
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We have just had lunch.😋

Graham.

IMG_20211231_114836.jpg

IMG_20211231_114930.jpg

IMG_20211231_114948.jpg

Happy New Year to you both.The food looks great and so do the two of you!

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

This is a better sunrise picture from our balcony.  My previous one was a tad bit too early. 

AB395826-469E-4C6C-80BA-4AAD6A971BA8.thumb.jpeg.530442729e2cc08165b7f010e1c606a0.jpeg

We will be dining at the Pinnacle tonight for their special New Year Dinner. Lobster is on the menu.  So we will enjoy today’s meal suggestion. 

77C90F97-D9F4-4E56-9DE4-75739F7152B1.thumb.jpeg.1d43ae5504be5b774b3c590ae99abae9.jpeg

There are several different entertainment venues celebrating the New Year. I’m sure Rich will post the activities on his Live From thread. 

Tomorrow we will be at HMC and our last full day onboard. Hard to believe almost 11 days went by already. Today I plan on meeting Joy @Seasick Sailorand Rich @richwmnfor 6:30 pm Trivia. We always have a great time. 

Enjoy your  Pinnacle dinner and the New Year's Eve  celebration.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

A very Happy New Year to all the Dailyites.It is a balmy day here with beautiful  sunshine and the dogs are giving me the side eye regarding  a long walk soon. I hope this day is not an unlucky one for anyone.

I would enjoy the lobster dish but the rest of the gang would not.We are having spinach lasagna  for dinner tonight  as a special request.

I would love to see New Zealand  and look forward to pictures. 

Take care everyone. 

Terry 

• Like 26

Happy New Year to all of you. Between the Daily and the Sailaways, I feel a special connection to you.

Covid has been a long term health issue affecting all of us, some much more so than others. All though omicron is striking now, it does seem less severe than previous variants, and that is a positive. I am not panicking,  not yet.

Wishing you good/improved health and cheer in your New Year.

20211119_154823.jpg

20190729_165706.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 3

On Dec. 22, 2013 we stopped in Tauranga on the Diamond Princess.  The following day we would disembark in Auckland, spend the night at the Hilton located on the pier next door and fly home on Christmas Eve.  The longest day of my life!  We started the morning about 5 am getting to the Auckland airport and ended up at home in Georgia about 10 pm the same day!  Needless to say we slept in on Christmas Day, and drove north to visit family a few days later.

On that 2013 stop DH and I merely walked around the town enjoying the warmth of the people and the climate.  On Dec. 4, 2017 we returned to Tauranga on the Sun Princess, again our final port before Auckland and returning home to the U.S.  This time we decided to hike around the base of Mount Maunganui, the extinct volcano at the end of the peninsula in town.  A view of it from the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJPdmzHgNCn49jOozMdyrbZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620602

Here is the visitor information center right by the ship and Mount M. in the distance.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGEuM4a5qVDZhUbBa6vTEe?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626358

Good information in case of an emergency evacuation due to tsunami.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ4h88HVx1s5nKr6reUs7qH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620607

You start on this leisurely walk along the shore.  No hurrying here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-yUYV5HMFLJbxVqZFU6oy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626396

The beginning of the hike.  Here it was a paved pathway.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIsTI7yjRukImm0RUfUMvny?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626411

An interesting statue just off shore.  Not sure what it was though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNEVJX5EVQZKq0GF07uD8W?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626577

As you went along this circular path around the mountain the path became rougher and you had to watch your step carefully.  No one wants to trip and break a bone on vacation, right @cat shepardAnn?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI7Woj0uKVc0pPnRN69DRH-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626599

The scenery was beautiful, though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGONcrJyVXrW2f2dsU7RpP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626612

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL-NFkXe8u5ZEb-6VAJj7xY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620614

As we came around the mountain we got to see the beach everyone was enjoying.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPiycEa-brsnyCjJ6NIE70?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620618

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKk1ZCH7Uzaztn6dzjVM8qA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626661

Here is one of my favorite photos.  A rock formation that looked like a kiwi bird to me.  It even had what looked like a beak on it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgpOJDjMzxyCFlIkBS4ApY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620618

At the end of the hike we walked past a campground at the base of the mountain.  Looks like a nice spot to enjoy the water and the mountain.  Some hikers walked up to the top but we weren't equipped for that.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL7biWH6Fmh7gzoJFfk1oER?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626664

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK8WMFH7RtVcmBiX4E28j2-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626674

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLtsJd3tb8qy6FLniNi_wTa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513620631

On into the town.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIgiiRuYX8QwJY6uyP8r-mh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513626674

And from 2013 a few more photos of the town itself.  A nice park.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIeQYCtAo04u_4PFZW_5zTg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711964

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-rilfjjng4KvA6qonXMEx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711970

Everybody needs a bench now and then.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIFna6o9ltzNDh_SyHkjSbk?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711977

A Wi-Fi hotspot for tourists and crew members, perhaps even locals too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-T783rJOvL0D-ArPd_sjX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711981

I'm ready to go back.  Just have to talk DH into a flight to the other side of the world from us.  🤔

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 7

Good morning all - thank you for the lists today.

2021 almost feels like a blur, as so much of it felt just like most of 2020.  Such hope at the start that we'd been through the worst of the pandemic, but as the year went on, maybe not.  Booked a cruise for 2022 hopeful we'd be back to normal, but alas...not to be.  The cancellation WOULD have happened anyway, but for us the primary reason to cancel is the impending arrival of our first grandchild in 11 short weeks.

So for us, that is the brilliance of 2021 - the knowledge that the next generation of our family is in the works.  My husband and I are thankful that both our children are working in successful careers of their choosing, and we've managed to stay healthy throughout.  To us, right now, that is what feels most important.  That is enough to sustain us into 2022.

To all of you who have faced tremendous challenges in 2021 - I thank you for sharing and allowing this amazing group in.  I hope you have felt supported and lifted up, if only through the keyboard and screen.  Know that the strength you have shown through some of life's worst moments teaches me that with the love and caring of friends and family, we can get through anything,  

To all who have share your amazing travel photos - thank you for giving us a window into the beauty of this world.  So many places on my bucket list, and some that I don't know that I'll ever get the opportunity to visit.  What I do know is that if I ever make it to some of these places, your photos will help me understand what I'm seeing, and I'm sure I'll think back "Hey, this place looks familiar!" 

Thank you to all for being this place of friendship and hope.  Wishing each of you a peaceful and happy New Year, and a great start to 2022.  

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1