On Oasis after waiting 90 minutes family misses ship.

Karter

1 hour ago, Scooters said:

As I understand it, the ship goes to the "mssing" person's cabin, gathers their papers, etc.  and gives them to the port agent.  That way they have the credentials to get to the next port/home.  Another good reason to cruise with a passport, not just a driver's license.   We make a photo copy of our passport and keep it with us at all times.  The passport itself lives in the safe in our cabin.

I wonder how they know where to look for papers if they’re not in the safe? Do they rummage through the whole cabin until they find everyone’s documents?  What happens to their belongings?

I would hate to be the person that missed the ship as well as the person who has to find the documents.  Not a fun thing all around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

I'm glad they got left.  Not much more to add.  Bet they learned their (expensive) lesson.

I make sure I'm back 2 hours before all aboard in case I'm off by an hour.

That’s generally how we do it.  If we’re driving/taking a train somewhere we aim to be back at the port two hours early.  If we’re on foot doing something, we aim to be back and within a quick five minute walk of the gangway NLT one hour before all aboard. 

47 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Old school here.  Of course I have a cell but I bring an old fashioned watch set to ship time for every sailing.  Makes me a bit more comfortable.  We don't know what happened but I feel sorry for the family.

That is exactly what I do too!

2 hours ago, Scooters said:

As I understand it, the ship goes to the "mssing" person's cabin, gathers their papers, etc.  and gives them to the port agent.  That way they have the credentials to get to the next port/home.  Another good reason to cruise with a passport, not just a driver's license.   We make a photo copy of our passport and keep it with us at all times.  The passport itself lives in the safe in our cabin.

I'm not so sure about this. I read a Royal review (what happens when you miss the ship - I think it was called that). He missed the ship in Puerto Rico. The port agent did NOT have his papers or passport but gave him info as to how to get an emergency passport, etc.

Anyone else read this? It's been quite a while.

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

I wonder how they know where to look for papers if they’re not in the safe? Do they rummage through the whole cabin until they find everyone’s documents?  What happens to their belongings?

I would hate to be the person that missed the ship as well as the person who has to find the documents.  Not a fun thing all around. 

Security knows all the hiding spots in a cabin.  They've seen it all.  Most people however put passports or wallets in the safe.

Security will also look around and if they notice things like a pack of diapers they will put some in with the documents and wallets to be handed over to the port agent.  Typically its all sealed before it's given to the port agent and remains sealed until its given to the guests.

They generally enter the cabin in pairs and activate their body cams before they enter so everything is documented.  They don't want a false claim like "I had $10,000 in the safe and they stole it".

The rest of their belongings will eventually be collected and packed in any luggage found in the cabin for offloading from the ship on turn around day.  Same routine, done in pairs, body cams on so any claims of theft can be refuted.

Everything is done so the body cams capture everything.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Old school here.  Of course I have a cell but I bring an old fashioned watch set to ship time for every sailing.  Makes me a bit more comfortable.  We don't know what happened but I feel sorry for the family.

Me too.  The only time I wear a watch is on cruises.  It's an inexpensive Timex from Walmart too to avoid any other problems that may arise.

30 minutes ago, twangster said:

Security knows all the hiding spots in a cabin.  They've seen it all.  Most people however put passports or wallets in the safe.

Security will also look around and if they notice things like a pack of diapers they will put some in with the documents and wallets to be handed over to the port agent.  Typically its all sealed before it's given to the port agent and remains sealed until its given to the guests.

They generally enter the cabin in pairs and activate their body cams before they enter so everything is documented.  They don't want a false claim like "I had $10,000 in the safe and they stole it".

The rest of their belongings will eventually be collected and packed in any luggage found in the cabin for offloading from the ship on turn around day.  Same routine, done in pairs, body cams on so any claims of theft can be refuted.

Everything is done so the body cams capture everything.  

I'm dying to know how you know those details.  🙂 

• Like 3

A cautionary tale for what it's worth:  I once had to decide to miss a ship or not.  While in port one of my kids "felt weird" and started describing what sounded alarmingly like stroke symptoms (numb arm, strange visual distortion).  She had always been a very healthy child and teen.  She felt better after a few minutes so I decided to go back to the ship and she was fine after taking a nap.  I had not taken our passports off the ship because it was "just Canada" not someplace exotic.  Since then I always take the passports and buy insurance.  You never know.  (BTW it turned out to be her first migraine.  Migraines are often set off by a change of routine which, of course, travel is.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I'm dying to know how you know those details.  🙂 

Ovation in Seattle on our way to Honolulu.  We left from Vancouver and Seattle was a port of call. 

Several announcements over the PA.  A couple was late and I noticed security standing outside a cabin two doors down from mine so I put two and two together and I asked them and they told me the whole drill.  I asked if they have ever had someone's stuff in a bag who made it back on the ship.  They had, often.  It's a sobering moment when people realize just how close they came to missing the ship they said.

Then they got a radio call, turned and faced each other, activated the body cams and took turns saying the date, ship, etc.  They turned and pointed their cameras to the cabin number, then entered... "knock, knock, is anyone in here?".  I went out to my balcony and about 10 minutes later watched a taxi fly up and two people dash onto the ship.  

On subsequent cruises whenever the opportunity presented itself I would ask various security personnel questions to validate.  Ask the same or similar questions over and over and a pattern starts to emerge.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Ovation in Seattle on our way to Honolulu.  We left from Vancouver and Seattle was a port of call. 

Several announcements over the PA.  A couple was late and I noticed security standing outside a cabin two doors down from mine so I put two and two together and I asked them and they told me the whole drill.  I asked if they have ever had someone's stuff in a bag who made it back on the ship.  They had, often.  It's a sobering moment when people realize just how close they came to missing the ship they said.

Then they got a radio call, turned and faced each other, activated the body cams and took turns saying the date, ship, etc.  They turned and pointed their cameras to the cabin number, then entered... "knock, knock, is anyone in here?".  I went out to my balcony and about 10 minutes later watched a taxi fly up and two people dash onto the ship.  

On subsequent cruises whenever the opportunity presented itself I would ask various security personnel questions to validate.  Ask the same or similar questions over and over and a pattern starts to emerge.  

Fascinating!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Very interesting!

1 minute ago, Travelling2Some said:

Very interesting!

They told me they also scan the room and look for indicators.  Prescriptions or signs of a diabetic and then they'll look for more stuff to include in the bag of goodies.  Last thing they want to do is separate someone from medical supplies or important prescriptions.  See diapers and they'll look for baby formula and baby wipes for example.  They don't go hunting for the stuff but they do try to think it through beyond just the passport.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Maitaivegas said:

I was afraid of missing the ship and with cell phone clocks changing time, I broke done and bought an Apple Watch.

I wanted to be able to manually change the time per the ship plus my Apple Watch will call someone if I fall.

I recommend you talk to a very techy person at length to make sure you have the settings on the Apple Watch such that it won't set automatically.  It's basically an iPhone in smaller format, so it will want to change according to the time zone just like a phone unless you tell it otherwise.  

Additionally, I'd recommend finding out what settings you'll need to change to avoid excessive cellular fees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I recommend you talk to a very techy person at length to make sure you have the settings on the Apple Watch such that it won't set automatically.  It's basically an iPhone in smaller format, so it will want to change according to the time zone just like a phone unless you tell it otherwise.  

Additionally, I'd recommend finding out what settings you'll need to change to avoid excessive cellular fees.

And while you’re at it, find out what features other than time your Apple Watch will have when it is not connected to the internet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, topnole said:

Simply scan and email yourself a copy.  Then you can access it anywhere you can access the internet.  This way you really don’t need to carry around a photo copy.  

Or, take a phot and you have it in your phone.  No internet needed. 

Edited by SheSailsFL
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I'm not so sure about this. I read a Royal review (what happens when you miss the ship - I think it was called that). He missed the ship in Puerto Rico. The port agent did NOT have his papers or passport but gave him info as to how to get an emergency passport, etc.

Anyone else read this? It's been quite a while.

Yes! I remember reading his very detailed story he wrote about the whole thing. Every new cruiser should read it and let it sink to not be late. Ever. Never.

8 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I was wondering the same. How on earth do you find the passports unless they are somewhere obvious like in the safe. Or what if some of the 8 took  their passport off the ship with them. Looking for it in the cabin seems like it could be an exercise in futility!  

Edited by Buckeye10640

5 hours ago, SheSailsFL said:

Or, take a phot and you have it in your phone.  No internet needed. 

Nope.   The point is you might lose a photo copy or a phone.  That is why you email it to yourself so you can access no mater what is lost or stolen.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I was wondering the same. How on earth do you find the passports unless they are somewhere obvious like in the safe. Or what if some of the 8 took  their passport off the ship with them. Looking for it in the cabin seems like it could be an exercise in futility!  

Guessing in the safe 99% of the time.  

• Like 2

Years ago on a cruise to Bermuda a couple was late back to the ship. The captain had stressed to everyone that morning that a hurricane was coming towards Bermuda and he had to leave at a certain time. 
One couple - whose two small children were on the ship with their grandmother- didn’t make it back in time. But what the ship did was wait off shore, in the dark, for the couple to be sent to us in a Speedboat and they were hoisted back on the side of the ship! It was so scary to us to see that. Everyone was hanging off the railing watching! This was pre cell phone so no video but this is absolutely true.

2 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

They know if someone used a passport to board the ship.  It's on the manifest.  If someone used a passport to board the ship and it's not in the cabin safe, logic suggests they took it with them.  At least they tried.  If someone has hidden their passport under the mattress or in a sock drawer that's on them.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Me too.  The only time I wear a watch is on cruises.  It's an inexpensive Timex from Walmart too to avoid any other problems that may arise.

My DH wears a $30 casio on trips (work ones too so he has an alarm without having to figure out one in a hotel room).  We use the watch to tell time on cruises.  After they repeatedly tell people to stay on ship's time, some continue to use their cell phone.   I know people who have missed shows because they used their cell phone onboard.  And, I realize sometimes they tell you to adjust the time, but we've only really had that happen on Mexican Riviera and maybe once or twice on other cruises.  Watch is easy to change the time on also.

• Like 1