The Daily for Wednesday 01/05/2022

richwmn

28 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Tana has been moved to the ICU.DD is waiting for  the hospitalist in charge to call.We assume that the high flow oxygen was the issue.

Yikes on her being in ICU 😱 Hopefully they can help and it’s just a matter of oxygen to be corrected 🙏🏻 

48 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Praying hard today for Jose and Tana.  Jacqui, I hope soon they will let you in to sit with him, so you don't just have to keep in touch with the doctors by phone!  

Thanks Ann.  They just got the day 5 negative results so I might have a longer wait than I thought.  The doctor has warned me that the hospital is changing policies fast with the staff shortages and covid and it may be possible that they don’t even allow Designated Support Persons in during their code Red.  She hopes that is not the case as we DSP’s help with care & she knows Jose would benefit but she wanted to prepare me for the worst.

Things are tightening up a bit here, too.  Prescriptions are taking two or three days. Yesterday, I had a call from the dermatologist's office asking if I could have my appointment by phone.  I said she was going to zap the bump on my cheek, and that it wouldn't work over the phone, so I am still going to go in on Friday, unless everything is shut down, which doesn't seem to be happening yet.  

LOL Ann, kind of hard to zap a bump on the phone 😉 Hope you can get it done on Friday without any issues 🤞 

I have a long grocery list, so we will go in today after my x-rays,

Good luck with the hip X-Ray!  Hopefully you won’t need a hip replacement 🙏🏻 

54 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope the new pill for Marley hekps him recover from the infection.  Take care of yourself.  BTW, the house will still be there messy or not when everything settles down again.  Remember we're here to do what we can to help relieve the stress some if and when you need to vent.

Marley’s new pill is turning into aggravation for me.  For whatever reason, it wasn’t ordered when they did his first prescription.  I called yesterday to ask what the new prescription was and if I could pick it up.  Called back this morning and none at the clinic.  It’s ordered and is supposed to get there sometime today.  I was already out once today and don’t leave the dogs twice in one day if I can help it - and I’m not going out in ice pellet weather.  Grrr.  They can either deliver it or I will get it tomorrow assuming the roads are driveable.  I wanted to avoid the roads tomorrow because of the ice coming today and it will be a zoo with the Nor ‘Easter they are calling to come on Friday.  <sigh>

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just hate to miss this cruise but want to be safe.  What to do?????

I feel your pain and conundrum.  It’s a tough decision.  The only thing you can do is do what’s right for you and you are comfortable with.  If Oceania cancels, it might be a blessing in disguise since they should hopefully offer a similar itinerary to you at a later date 🤞 

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Please keep me in your prayers that this autoimmune disorder decides to leave me or go into remission.  It is playing havoc on my life. Hard to do anything.

You are definitely in my prayers 🙏🏻 I hope it leaves you and never returns 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Thanks very much for the link 👍 

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Thankfully our neighbour has a big snowblower and while we were away at DH's appointment, he did the driveway and sidewalks.  Then later in the afternoon he came with his big scoop shovel and took more off so we wouldn't have to.  I think I'll make him a big pot of Russian borscht as a thank you, as he certainly won't take any money for his efforts.

What a sweetheart of a neighbour you have.  I’m sure you’ve seen this one but it sure applies here 😉 

11CA2B41-860B-4B6D-A092-E252FE9E6AFA.thumb.jpeg.00cc23a571087eb45f35a8b6c9b303d0.jpeg

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think the doctor's office is still swamped this morning.  The one bit of good news is that yesterday's mail brought a couple of rapid antigen tests and it came out negative.  I also have never had a fever so it's apparently just a routine respiratory infection and it seems to be gradually improving.

So sorry for all the challenges you are facing, Roy 😔. But I’m happy to hear that you failed your test 👍 

4 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Sorry I'm so late today with the drink.  Slept in and then on an excursion. 

No need to apologize at all.  We are lucky that you are taking time from your cruise to continue the beverage department work 👍 

4 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

We have cancelled our 14 day cruise on Rotterdam, Jan. 9 - Jan 23.  We will be boarding Rotterdam on Jan. 23, for a 6 day cruise that ends on Jan. 29.  We noticed that the Nieuw Amsterdam was also in port, on that day, and were able to book it for 7 days, Jan. 29 - Feb. 5th!  We are hoping that "things" will be better for cruising later this month.   Pat

I hope things are much better in time for your new cruise dates 🤞 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Happy Wednesday everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Love the collection of days, my bird a day calendar from the Audubon Society arrived yesterday perfect timing.  Zappa’s quote is great as is the meal suggestion.  I haven’t been to today’s port so I’ll enjoy the photos that folks post.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and hip hip hooray for all of you celebrating a happy event today.  Happy birthday to my nephew Nick.

Happy Birthday Nick.

Screenshot_20211024_211944.jpg

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Thank you to all if the kind folks here including @puppycanducruise, @grapau27, @dfish, @StLouisCruisers, @marshhawk, @*Miss G*, @ger_77, @kazu@Quartzsite Cruiser, @Vict0riann and  @Crusing-along. Your prayers and positive  thoughts are much appreciated.

Tana has been moved to the ICU.DD is waiting for  the hospitalist in charge to call.We assume that the high flow oxygen was the issue.

Sorry Tana is in ICU and hope it is just because of the high flow oxygen.  Sending positive thoughts to her, her son, her doctors and your enitre family.

27 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We were in Cherbourg in 2018 on the Prinsendam with Jacqui, Jose, and a very nice CC roll call. From the port we first went to Bayeux to see the tapestry, and then to Arromanches and Juno Beach (as the majority of our group were Canadian).  One lady found her father's name on one of the memorials, and that was a real thrill for her.

IMG_5375.thumb.JPG.39a0577840e440da87f51e3667da088a.JPG

Bayeux Cathedral and the Bayeux Tapestry from a postcard - we were not allowed to photograph the tapestry itself)

P1060090.thumb.JPG.74b8dd39a01e757fd06bd103e955b366.JPG

IMG_5400.thumb.JPG.4067e4b4f935d1348eea5377929dc544.JPG

Arromanches and the floating docks

P1060124.thumb.JPG.cabe276fc89394ccca57f1eb24ac1914.JPG

P1060107.thumb.JPG.f9776602876f93d75aab05df4fba5596.JPG

Juno Beach memorial and "Canada House"

P1060130.thumb.JPG.327be1a8f2b8313cf7f712dc4f5de345.JPG

IMG_5437.thumb.JPG.575d473db3a7afecf6a8f1cd4d5a93b9.JPG

Ann, thank you for the pictures from the Canadian perspective.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Morning all and thanks for the update. 
Sad morning in Philadelphia, a horrific house fire with at least 13 deaths 💔

Weather not good, icy rain and snow for tomorrow night. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏

Very sad news.

Prayers and condolences to all the families and friends of the deceased.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Late yesterday Tana was taken to the hospital by ambulance. DD just heard from her and she has been admitted to a room after being in the ER hallway all night. Her doctors feel IV antibiotics are needed and perhaps the high flo oxygen. If she had to go,it certainly was better that she went last night when our fourteen steps to the street were fine. The City EMT’s have a special stair stretcher they use.

Please be careful out there!

Terry

Praying for Tana.

Terri

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

It's another cold day on the "frozen tundra"; -33 with a wind chill making it feel like -44.  We're stuck under an Extreme Cold Weather Advisory for the next 4 or 5 days.  It doesn't stop people from doing what they need to, though, as you can tell by the number of cars on the streets.  Yesterday it was a tad warmer which meant snow - and we had lots of it.  Thankfully our neighbour has a big snowblower and while we were away at DH's appointment, he did the driveway and sidewalks.  Then later in the afternoon he came with his big scoop shovel and took more off so we wouldn't have to.  I think I'll make him a big pot of Russian borscht as a thank you, as he certainly won't take any money for his efforts.

I saw this one yesterday and it made me giggle - hope it gives you a smile today.

Disapproval.thumb.jpg.00178164c9557d2110d17ae47497231b.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jose, Jacqui, Marley, and Jose's medical team.  We'll celebrate all on the happy list with our raised glasses tonight.  Wash your hands, wear your masks, stay safe, get your boosters, be well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, you have a great neighbor.  Loved the picture of the cat.

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

The port of Cherbourg is a name I heard a lot of as a child.  My father's family returned to the Netherlands to care for his ailing grandfather in Arnhem around 1923.  The spent about 3 years before returning to the US.  His stories were about the crossings on the ship  RMS Berengaria and the rough seas crossing the Atlantic.  My sister found a napkin from the ship on eBay and had it framed for my Dad. I still have it. 

IMG_20220105_104010075.jpg

Pretty napkin and what a nice thing your sister did for your dad.

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yhanks Ann.  They just got the day 5 negative results so I might have a longer wait than I thought.  The doctor has warned me that the hospital is changing policies fast with the staff shortages and covid and it may be possible that they don’t even allow Designated Support Persons in during their code Red.  She hopes that is not the case as we DSP’s help with care & she knows Jose would benefit but she wanted to prepare me for the worst.

Marley’s new pill is turning into aggravation for me.  For whatever reason, it wasn’t ordered when they did his first prescription.  I called yesterday to ask what the new prescription was and if I could pick it up.  Called back this morning and none at the clinic.  It’s ordered and is supposed to get there sometime today.  I was already out once today and don’t leave the dogs twice in one day if I can help it - and I’m not going out in ice pellet weather.  Grrr.  They can either deliver it or I will get it tomorrow assuming the roads are driveable.  I wanted to avoid the roads tomorrow because of the ice coming today and it will be a zoo with the Nor ‘Easter they are calling to come on Friday.  <sigh>

11CA2B41-860B-4B6D-A092-E252FE9E6AFA.thumb.jpeg.00cc23a571087eb45f35a8b6c9b303d0.jpeg

Jackie, I hope they let you back in to see and help Jose.  Besides getting to be with Jose, it would help ease some of the pressure on the staff.

It sounds like the vet is as bad about prescriptions as some of the human clinics.  Hope you can get it soon.

Lenda

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. A salute to birds and screenwriters. I mainly watch carbs, not strict keto.

True, true quote. I've got a stack to read.

I like the meal and wine (but too pricey for me). I'll pass on the drink.

I haven't been to Normandy. I'd really like to visit there. Thanks for the pictures.

It's sunny but very windy and cold. Supposedly only slightly over an inch of snow tomorrow night, so I shouldn't have any issue getting to the dentist early Friday morning. I'm leaving decorations up, as BFF and I will likely celebrate Christmas Jan 25th, like we did after our Antarctica cruise where we were on board for the holidays.

Good news! I failed my test. I'm feeling pretty much back to normal, so I guess it was some viral thing, thankfully not Covid. Many schools are back to remote here, due to Covid numbers and lack of staff. Also our Children's Hospital just opened a 2nd Covid unit as admissions have surged.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, his doctors, and you. Also I hope Marley is recovering. I hope you get to see Jose soon.

@marshhawk I join the chorus of people saying you need a new PCP. Shameful behavior by yours.

@Mr. Boston Happy Birthday to Nick.

@Heartgrove Nice pictures of the snow and cold. We've had almost no snow in Western PA yet.

@smitty34877 So sorry to hear that Tana needed hospitalization and ICU. Prayers for her improvement. It's terrible the hospitals have to keep people in the halls due to the crush of Covid cases.

@dfish Maybe the chicken tenders could be air fried. I'm just setting up my Breville air fryer oven, which was my Christmas gift to myself.

@*Miss G* Love the cardinal amongst all the white snow.

@rafinmd Sorry to hear about the prescription issues. At least your rapid test was negative; that's a positive!

@Crazy For Cats I'm glad you feel better today, Jake.

@Cruzin Terri Prayers for improvement for you. I felt that way about my eyes; just when I thought they were better, I'd have a flare. Trying numerous treatments, only to have the side effects be terrible. Hang in there!

@Vict0riann I hope there's no hip surgery in the near future.

@1ANGELCAT I heard about that awful fire and loss of life. They said there were 4 smoke detectors in the building, but they weren't working. Terribly sad.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

Try to stay safe everyone.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all!   Sorry still cannot like posts!

We visited Normandy the year our daughter graduated from high school,  she was so shocked by the ages of the dead in the war cemetery,  many were her age.   The imperial war museum in Caen was amazing and we need to return and see the Canadian War museum that is there now.  Thanks for the wonderful photos!

Not sure if others have read of the massive cancellations Norwegian Cruise lines have just made.  

Covid has turned us into birdwatchers and Britbox fans too!   

Sending  special prayers for Jose, And Tana!  

970F5810-D641-4F94-A593-E0C4DE354B7A.jpeg

CCBF3FF7-56EA-4663-975E-10760A80D4AB.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 4

I'll continue the tour of Normandy with a few  more pictures.  We were there in 2011 and 2016 on the Prinsendam.  These pictures are from 2016.

We stopped in Arromanches that day.

DSC06926.thumb.JPG.778b51c9a649d5a22dab8f7045f4e347.JPG

DSC06932.thumb.JPG.37a81675ed6fddcecb079be480240b38.JPG

Some of the mulberries still in the harbor.

DSC06930.thumb.JPG.0557d68db5f159c1b265e970891d4cf5.JPG

After a stop at the American Cemetery, we drove the Saint Mere Eglise.  This was the first time we were able to drive in the town and to stop at the church were one soldier's paracute was caught on the steeple.  He was lucky the Germans did not see him.  IIRC, some of the towns people cut him down.

DSC06956.thumb.JPG.cd2cf0041cf58ab27523f14e7499aceb.JPG

DSC06957.thumb.JPG.79d394d645944555389448017de98530.JPG

DSC06960.thumb.JPG.b3ab55d830055e49daf1d042f9d2ca05.JPG

DSC06964.thumb.JPG.89199f5ee19b435dba7ed3b5689da316.JPG

In 2011, we saw this cart being driven on Omaha Beach.P1020300.thumb.JPG.598e1673e06ecdf8d1cfa0b249b54c3d.JPG

In 2004, after the D-Day ceremony, we drove to Mont Saint Michel.  We  had time since it was a very late sailing that day.  The next day we were in Le Havre.

IMG_3456.thumb.JPG.2b8dbe7b2f26a1df6fc9f8f6ece35ecd.JPG

IMG_3460.thumb.JPG.845b83c0b66bd65b95f571316f4d80fd.JPG

IMG_3468.thumb.JPG.8cc62c7f703b1d5f247f0fc0b642a1b8.JPG

IMG_3474.thumb.JPG.ed0c2673ca3358f0407ca7267f5bbc0a.JPG

IMG_3485.thumb.JPG.33a4bcbf48a1e526886426d7475a5724.JPG

I forgot to mention the security surrounding the D-Day ceremony.  We had to park about 10 miles from the cemetery and take a bus to and from the cemetery.  Before June 4, 2004, when driving around the area of Omaha Beach and down to the beach, we noticed a missile battery and a field hopsital just below the ridge where it was difficult to see from the cemetery.  They had brought many soldiers from Germany to be in the cemetery on June 4.

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday!  

I was super tired yesterday after our long day of traveling on Monday. We got home later than expected, it took forever to get our luggage at the airport. Blue was overly excited to see us and we could hardly hold him on the way to the car. Thank goodness we didn’t have any broken water lines. It’s going to be warmer in a few days. 

@JAM37, my DSIL had the same thing happen as your friend when she was on Atkins. Very scary and since then I’m not a fan of diets. I love birds but don’t really like the messy pigeons and doves we have. 

Prayers to all on the Care list and especially Jose, Jacqui, Roy, Tana plus those I’ve missed. 

It has been a rough transition from vacation to real life cooking and planning meals and cleaning up from cooking, etc. Our fridge is rather bare right now and need to make a TJ’s run but I'm quarantining after finding out DS has covid. We saw him on Monday night before he had any symptoms. We have some at home tests and plan on testing in a few days just to be sure. DD has offered to shop for us.  Good thing our freezer is stocked. 

The meal suggestion sounds good. Chicken tenders are my favorite part of the chicken. I have chicken wings defrosting in the fridge so we will probably have those. I like to coat them in taco seasoning and bake them, they turn out good. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

We are grounded at home so it seems like I am piping up a lot today.  We are expecting anywhere from 5" to double digit snow between today and tomorrow and 30 mph winds.  Lots of topics to chime in on.  

I ordered our Binax Now proctored tests for our upcoming NS cruise.  We are beginning to plan our road trip from MI to FL and we may make the dreadful I-75 drive through Atlanta.   If we leave Dalton GA by 4:30 am we may make it through the worst of Atlanta rush hour.  

Keto Day.  I was going to make this for dinner a couple of days ago but DF came home with a Keto rotisserie chicken from Costco so it is perfect to make my sheet pan chicken on a snowy, Keto Day.  It is from Better Homes and Gardens and is 5grams net carbs.    We'll see how it turns out.  

sheet pan chicken.jpg

Sheet-Pan Chicken with Lemons and Green Olives _ Better Homes & Gardens.pdf

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

We had a stop in Cherbourg during our 2019 cruise on the Zuiderdam. We were there just a few days before the 75th anniversary ceremonies. It was a memorable time to visit, but did limit our ability to visit some of the main sights, as they were in the middle of preparing for the ceremonies.   

The following postings are excerpts from a review I did of that cruise.

Rather then making one long post, I'll break it up into several.

Considering the special nature of the 75th anniversary, Cherbourg was one of the first ports I tried to arrange a private tour. Even starting over a year in advance, I found most of the better known tour companies were either already booked or were quoting ridiculous prices (3-4 times higher then normal). Although we really wanted to visit the Juno Beach area (where the Canadians landed), it is one of the furthest beaches from Cherbourg and the ship’s tours only went to the closer Utah and Omaha Beaches (where the Americans landed). Eventually, I gave up and decided to just book one of the ship’s tours.

Showing Cherbourg in relationship to the D-Day Beaches.
MAP-D-DAY.jpg.b9c7ca315a7bd4d66eb5745b53beabd7.jpg

5cf8e990240000300f85974c.thumb.jpeg.c79536b0bc1db82213d7d392d5693956.jpeg

A couple of weeks before our departure, one of the posters to the cruise roll call mentioned they had come across an D-Day Beaches tour and was anyone else interested in joining them. I responded I had previously tried to book the same tour and was told they were all booked up. In turn, several others quickly posted that they had already tried booking numerous other similar tours and nothing seemed to be available.

Fortunately, Susan (‘Sprowlie’) is a rather tenacious person, and although that tour was sold out, she was determined to find something, even at the last minute. And - low and behold – she managed to locate a wonderful small tour operator, who still had availability for the day we were there. Plus, he was willing to include a side trip to Juno Beach.

In that respect, I (and my DW) would like to give a special “Thank You” to our fellow tour members; Susan & Howard (‘Sprowlie’); Linda & Greg (‘Cruzywoozy’); James (‘JRH79er’); for so readily agreeing to the take the side trip to Juno Beach. It made the tour all that much more special to both of us; as my DW’s father landed in the later D-Day campaign period and served with the liberation France, Belgium, and the Netherlands. In addition, I am named after an uncle who was killed in February 1944, while on a bombing mission out of England. 

The wonderful tour guide Susan found was Patrick Hilyer who owns (along with his wife Nicky) the We Love Normandy tour company. https://www.welovenormandy.com/

The really great thing about Patrick is that he is originally from England (moving to Normandy in 2003), so English is his first-language and therefore understanding him wasn’t a problem - he didn’t even have that bad of an English accent!!

Patrick (on the left, in the blue sports jacket) toasting our group during our lunch break in a small restaurant at Omaha Beach.

20190526_125027.thumb.jpg.3ec58343503fb5e218ccb5ed745ddeed.jpg

It was Mother’s Day, so all the women received a rose.

Patrick bought a bottle of Apple Cider for the toast, which in Europe is actually an alcohol drink (the bottle showed 4.5%). 
20190526_125908.thumb.jpg.ed4bb7ba305680a0446abf2a96ac9f40.jpg

The first stop on the tour was at the town of Sainte-Mère-Église, which was the first French town liberated by the Allies.

This stop was of special interest to one of our tour members (James), as he is a retired paratrooper and officer from the US Army. The town was the location of a well-known incident involving paratrooper John Steele, whose parachute caught on the spire of the town church, and he could only observe the fighting going on below. He hung there limply for two hours, pretending to be dead, before the Germans took him prisoner. Steele escaped four hours later and rejoined his division when US troops attacked the village. The incident was portrayed in the movie The Longest Day by actor Red Buttons.

The church.

20190526_094652.jpg.e6bfee4c816695095271790c22d20e40.jpg

A closer picture of the church, showing the monument to John Steele.

P1090122.thumb.jpg.bd4e55f3b942b00d7902d48399f0629b.jpg

Steele was one of the few paratroopers who landed in the town and not killed. He was wounded in the foot by a burst of flak. He was awarded Bronze Star for valor and the Purple Heart for being wounded in combat. Steele survived the War and continued to visit the town throughout his life and was an honorary citizen of Sainte-Mère-Église. The tavern, Auberge John Steele, stands adjacent to the square and maintains his legacy through photos, letters and articles hung on its walls. Steele died in 1969.

The church has an interesting stained-glass window, which was installed when the church was rebuilt after the war.
20190526_093801.thumb.jpg.6bcc9a81f38f1b4a534164f74dc2823d.jpg

If you closely, you'll notice it depicts several paratroopers, in remembrance to all the paratroopers who lost their life in the liberation of the town. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It's been a challenging 48 hours.  My primary doctor has been excellent with one exception but the practice is obviously very stressed out between covid, flu, and weather.  I did get a telemed Monday morning with his nurse practitioner who touched base and wrote a prescription.  Now to the exception to the practice's excellent service.  They do not respond to messages from pharmacies.

I had a dental visit Monday morning that was cancelled.  Kind of pleased about that in light of the weather but the cancellation was due to my cough.  My podiatrist appointment Thursday is also cancelled due to the cough.  I should really not be out in this weather but spent a good bit of time Monday cleaning off my car and a little bit on the sidewalk. 

Yesterday morning my pharmacy app showed my prescription as "In process" more than 24 hours after it was submitted and they were not answering their phone.  Without a prescription to pick up I stayed home until after noon.  My pharmacy (at the grocery store) is usually excellent but was again very stressed out.  I made an in person inquiry and they said "we're filling it now" and ready in 10 minutes.  I did some grocery shopping and waited.  Almost an hour later I checked in again and found out it was stalled because they did not have the right pill size and hadn't heard from the doctor about substituting a different dosage.  An hour wasted.

I had a zoom meeting early evening and totally crashed for the rest of the night.

I think the doctor's office is still swamped this morning.  The one bit of good news is that yesterday's mail brought a couple of rapid antigen tests and it came out negative.  I also have never had a fever so it's apparently just a routine respiratory infection and it seems to be gradually improving.

Roy

While  I am glad the test was negative, I have been reading that the rapid tests are not great at picking up Omicron.   It appears more like a regular cold without loss of sense of smell.   So still take good care.    Our son who is double vaccinated tested negative twice on the rapid tests,   But still isolated.  I think that is why it is spreading so much.  PCR tests are being overwhelmed.  

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.

Thank you Rich for the Daily.  

I have been to Normandy on a land tour.

Sorry for not writing yesterday.  Very bad internet yesterday coupled with very painful right extremity.  I tried a number of times and it didn’t work. Every time I think this crazy condition I have is getting better, it starts all over again.

We are in a conundrum.  We have a cruise booked on the Oceania Nautica for April 11 with a few days in Barcelona prior to the cruise and a week in Rome following the cruise.  41 Days in all.  Final payment made.  At the time of final payment Omicron was not yet in our vocabulary (Early Nov.)

If we cancel now we lose 50% (insurance won’t help).  After Jan. 10 we lose 75%.

My TA says hang tight and see if Oceania offers FCC and lets us cancel or ends up canceling the cruise because we have too much to lose if we cancel ourselves. I guess that i the route we will take.  We really want to go on this trip.  Places we have not been to (lots of Canary Islands and Palma de Mallorca and Gibraltar).  Also ship docks right in Seville (I have been there before on land trips) overnight.  

Just hate to miss this cruise but want to be safe.  What to do?????

Tomorrow we are supposed to go to a performance of Shen Yun at the Johnny Mercer Theater in Savannah. We paid a pretty penny for these tickets.  However the performance is sold out and the theater holds 2800 people.  We have decided not to go.  It is not worth catching Omicron in spite of being triple faxed.

Please keep me in your prayers that this autoimmune disorder decides to leave me or go into remission.  It is playing havoc on my life. Hard to do anything.

Prayers for those who need them, especially Jacqui and Jose and cheers for those celebrating.

Have a great Wednesday everyone and

God Bless,

Terri

Terri,  I Understand your dilemma.  We just took a big financial hit when we cancelled our trip for the condo as our trip insurance won’t cover the new advisory for medical or cancellation.   It just wasn’t worth the risk for us.  

If it helps we decided to lose the money rather than spend more money on something that we wouldn’t enjoy.  So for us a 50% loss instead of 100%.  And that old adage better safe than sorry was something that sprang to mind.   Good luck, these are tough decisions because we all need a holiday!  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  Yesterday was a very busy day.  I mentioned here that DMIL went into the hospital on Christmas night.  Long story short, she is 89 years old, and the two years of pandemic isolation has been very hard on her emotionally.  Physically she is still strong and has been living in her own home, in her home town.  But she is back in the hospital now, and we've all decided that it's best if she comes to live with us.  So yesterday was spent clearing out the downstairs bedroom and bath for her arrival in the next few days.  Our son and daughter, with their families, live minutes away, so hopefully being with family will bring needed support and quick improvement.

@smitty34877, how distressing that Tana is in ICU!  You've mentioned that she is a health professional herself, so she must be alarmed. Prayers for your dear Tana and for your family.

On Screenwriters' Day I'll give a shout out to a dear friend who has made a killing (pardon the pun) writing horror movies.  You would never think that all that stuff could be in his brain -- such a nice person.  

I know we have many bird lovers here on the Daily.  Count me in.

Thanks, All, once again for the ship locations, lists, recipes, drinks, photos and interesting stories.  Sending hugs and prayers to those in need, and a toast to those celebrating happy events.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

We had a stop in Cherbourg during our 2019 cruise on the Zuiderdam. We were there just a few days before the 75th anniversary ceremonies. It was a memorable time to visit, but did limit our ability to visit some of the main sights, as they were in the middle of preparing for the ceremonies.   

The following postings are excerpts from a review I did of that cruise.

Rather then making one long post, I'll break it up into several.

Considering the special nature of the 75th anniversary, Cherbourg was one of the first ports I tried to arrange a private tour. Even starting over a year in advance, I found most of the better known tour companies were either already booked or were quoting ridiculous prices (3-4 times higher then normal). Although we really wanted to visit the Juno Beach area (where the Canadians landed), it is one of the furthest beaches from Cherbourg and the ship’s tours only went to the closer Utah and Omaha Beaches (where the Americans landed). Eventually, I gave up and decided to just book one of the ship’s tours.

Showing Cherbourg in relationship to the D-Day Beaches.
MAP-D-DAY.jpg.b9c7ca315a7bd4d66eb5745b53beabd7.jpg

5cf8e990240000300f85974c.thumb.jpeg.c79536b0bc1db82213d7d392d5693956.jpeg

A couple of weeks before our departure, one of the posters to the cruise roll call mentioned they had come across an D-Day Beaches tour and was anyone else interested in joining them. I responded I had previously tried to book the same tour and was told they were all booked up. In turn, several others quickly posted that they had already tried booking numerous other similar tours and nothing seemed to be available.

Fortunately, Susan (‘Sprowlie’) is a rather tenacious person, and although that tour was sold out, she was determined to find something, even at the last minute. And - low and behold – she managed to locate a wonderful small tour operator, who still had availability for the day we were there. Plus, he was willing to include a side trip to Juno Beach.

In that respect, I (and my DW) would like to give a special “Thank You” to our fellow tour members; Susan & Howard (‘Sprowlie’); Linda & Greg (‘Cruzywoozy’); James (‘JRH79er’); for so readily agreeing to the take the side trip to Juno Beach. It made the tour all that much more special to both of us; as my DW’s father landed in the later D-Day campaign period and served with the liberation France, Belgium, and the Netherlands. In addition, I am named after an uncle who was killed in February 1944, while on a bombing mission out of England. 

The wonderful tour guide Susan found was Patrick Hilyer who owns (along with his wife Nicky) the We Love Normandy tour company. https://www.welovenormandy.com/

The really great thing about Patrick is that he is originally from England (moving to Normandy in 2003), so English is his first-language and therefore understanding him wasn’t a problem - he didn’t even have that bad of an English accent!!

Patrick (on the left, in the blue sports jacket) toasting our group during our lunch break in a small restaurant at Omaha Beach.

20190526_125027.thumb.jpg.3ec58343503fb5e218ccb5ed745ddeed.jpg

It was Mother’s Day, so all the women received a rose.

Patrick bought a bottle of Apple Cider for the toast, which in Europe is actually an alcohol drink (the bottle showed 4.5%). 
20190526_125908.thumb.jpg.ed4bb7ba305680a0446abf2a96ac9f40.jpg

The first stop on the tour was at the town of Sainte-Mère-Église, which was the first French town liberated by the Allies.

This stop was of special interest to one of our tour members (James), as he is a retired paratrooper and officer from the US Army. The town was the location of a well-known incident involving paratrooper John Steele, whose parachute caught on the spire of the town church, and he could only observe the fighting going on below. He hung there limply for two hours, pretending to be dead, before the Germans took him prisoner. Steele escaped four hours later and rejoined his division when US troops attacked the village. The incident was portrayed in the movie The Longest Day by actor Red Buttons.

The church.

20190526_094652.jpg.e6bfee4c816695095271790c22d20e40.jpg

A closer picture of the church, showing the monument to John Steele.

P1090122.thumb.jpg.bd4e55f3b942b00d7902d48399f0629b.jpg

Steele was one of the few paratroopers who landed in the town and not killed. He was wounded in the foot by a burst of flak. He was awarded Bronze Star for valor and the Purple Heart for being wounded in combat. Steele survived the War and continued to visit the town throughout his life and was an honorary citizen of Sainte-Mère-Église. The tavern, Auberge John Steele, stands adjacent to the square and maintains his legacy through photos, letters and articles hung on its walls. Steele died in 1969.

The church has an interesting stained-glass window, which was installed when the church was rebuilt after the war.
20190526_093801.thumb.jpg.6bcc9a81f38f1b4a534164f74dc2823d.jpg

If you closely, you'll notice it depicts several paratroopers, in remembrance to all the paratroopers who lost their life in the liberation of the town. 

Thankyou!  Brought tears to my eyes, just like the day we visited. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Prayers for Jose and Tana.  🙏

So nice to revisit all of the happy memories in Normandy.    This is further from Cherbourg on our way to Honfleur.   This is in the beautiful beach town Deauville.   It is known for its' casino and racecourse.   Next is the inn that we stayed in outside of Bayeaux. 

Nancy deauville '03.jpg

oysters deauville nancy '03.jpg

lodging outside Bayeaux 2 '03.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Our tour operator from the Battlebus tour was also an English expat.  He was a history buff who decided to follow his dream.  His passion for his work was evident.  He ran a 9 person Renault bus at the time.    When we were in the American Cemetery around US Memorial Day we saw family after family entering the cemetery with flowers.   I asked him if the people were honoring someone who helped them - he said each grave has been "adopted" by a French family so flowers were placed on them for both Memorial Day and D-Day.    All my photos are scans from prints to aren't the sharpest.   

Cemetary at Normandy.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good morning--at least still before noon in Colorado.  It is still cold, and clear.  Haven't heard of any significant issues with strong winds yesterday on the Front Range.  Know there was one small fire, but think it was controlled.  People from last weeks fires are still in shelters, and starting to put their lives back together!

@smitty34877, I share prayers with everyone else for Tana after reading her awful news.  High-flow O2 is scary, and now to add in the ICU.  IPF is a terrible disease.

@kazumy continued prayers for you, Jose, and Marley.  You all need healing.  Take care of yourself, and careful with driving on icy roads.

Thanks to all who are posting Normandy pictures today.  IF, I am able to do TA on Rotterdam in October, that will be a highlight for me.  @GeorgeCharlieI had tears in reading your account of your visit.  @Quartzsite Cruiseryour pictures are also wonderful.

Will someone please tell me why I am doing 3 separate trips combined into one?  1.  Phoenix area with my sister for 4 days, 2.  Then to Hawaii (Oahu) for 13 days, 3.  Boarding the Zuiderdam for PC cruise on Jan 30!  I am trying to do "trial packing" this morning, and what a nightmare!  I only want to take 1 large bag and a carry-on, so it is perplexing.  I have one Priority box packed to be mailed to Hawaii (nicer stuff for cruise evenings), and know I can mail back other things from either Arizona or Hawaii.  My sister is telling me to be sure to have jeans and warmer stuff as it is "cold" (at least to her) in Arizona.  

I know I am missing others with significant issues in their lives, but my prayers for healing for all.

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Cherbourg/D-Day Beaches – Part 2

We did a quick visit to Utah Beach. 

P1090164.jpg.d97308573a5ac42a65cf793aade901b9.jpg

The main Display centers at Utah Beach were not yet open, so we did a brief walk around of the main beach area. Most of the memorialization for D-Day has been done at the Omaha Beach site, where the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial is located.

There is a Memorial to one of the most common landing crafts used during D-Day.

P1090161.jpg.bd03b99c29972186f4bfd37d548ee856.jpg

P1090161b.jpg.c847f8d23ea3f73e1bd12cbff8e87a0f.jpg

The site also included one of the Higgins boats.

P1090162.thumb.jpg.187e90f766edb2449adfbe0190b46022.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Prayers for Jose and Tana.  🙏

So nice to revisit all of the happy memories in Normandy.    This is further from Cherbourg on our way to Honfleur.   This is in the beautiful beach town Deauville.   It is known for its' casino and racecourse.   Next is the inn that we stayed in outside of Bayeaux. 

Nancy deauville '03.jpg

oysters deauville nancy '03.jpg

lodging outside Bayeaux 2 '03.jpg

Nice photos.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Good morning--at least still before noon in Colorado.  It is still cold, and clear.  Haven't heard of any significant issues with strong winds yesterday on the Front Range.  Know there was one small fire, but think it was controlled.  People from last weeks fires are still in shelters, and starting to put their lives back together!

@smitty34877, I share prayers with everyone else for Tana after reading her awful news.  High-flow O2 is scary, and now to add in the ICU.  IPF is a terrible disease.

@kazumy continued prayers for you, Jose, and Marley.  You all need healing.  Take care of yourself, and careful with driving on icy roads.

Thanks to all who are posting Normandy pictures today.  IF, I am able to do TA on Rotterdam in October, that will be a highlight for me.  @GeorgeCharlieI had tears in reading your account of your visit.  @Quartzsite Cruiseryour pictures are also wonderful.

Will someone please tell me why I am doing 3 separate trips combined into one?  1.  Phoenix area with my sister for 4 days, 2.  Then to Hawaii (Oahu) for 13 days, 3.  Boarding the Zuiderdam for PC cruise on Jan 30!  I am trying to do "trial packing" this morning, and what a nightmare!  I only want to take 1 large bag and a carry-on, so it is perplexing.  I have one Priority box packed to be mailed to Hawaii (nicer stuff for cruise evenings), and know I can mail back other things from either Arizona or Hawaii.  My sister is telling me to be sure to have jeans and warmer stuff as it is "cold" (at least to her) in Arizona.  

I know I am missing others with significant issues in their lives, but my prayers for healing for all.

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 1

Cherbourg/D-Day Beaches – Part 3 

The main stop for our tour was the Normandy American Cemetery which is located on a bluff overlooking Omaha Beach.

The 172.5-acre cemetery contains the graves of 9,387 United States military dead, most of whom lost their lives in the D-Day landings and ensuing operations. Burials here also include the graves of Army Air Force crews shot down over France as early as 1942. Another 1,557 names are inscribed on the Walls of the Missing. 

Main walkway into the Cemetery.
20190526_122351.jpg.e43e5e8cd083c1331ee786c120360ca9.jpg

A photo taken from the Cemetery looking down at Omaha Beach and the hill the soldiers had to fight their way up. So peaceful looking these days.

P1090188.jpg.5f077fa3e313d62736b48c26ea80e62f.jpg

There are 307 unknown burials, three Medal of Honor recipients, and four women. Forty-five sets of brothers are commemorated or buried in the cemetery, including 33 who are buried side-by-side. A father and son are also buried alongside each other. The burials are not separated by rank; officers and enlisted men are interred side-by-side.

Regrettably, the main areas of the Cemetery were closed to the public while we were there because they were in the process of preparing for the 75th Anniversary ceremonies.

Main stage area.

20190526_121758.jpg.5ca48da5e4fa89487ef04f592673fb95.jpg

Protecting the grass areas.

20190526_121928.jpg.98a7a81a05f8b030bdc9f5f7477e99c4.jpg

Every grave is marked with a white marble headstone: a Star of David for those of the Jewish faith, and a Latin cross for all others. The backs of the headstones are inscribed with the service numbers of the decedents. As we were not able to enter the Cemetery, we were only able to view the backs of the headstones.

20190526_121524_001.jpg.725fe992d5e128724b77b06becf9a449.jpg

P1090193.thumb.jpg.5c0b669808a672f634d4ae05a74f6a8b.jpg

If you look close at the bottom of the headstone, you will see the service number.

NOTABLE BURIALS 
Lesley J. McNair. U.S. Army general, one of the two highest-ranking Americans to be killed in action in World War II. 
Jimmie W. Monteith . Medal of Honor recipient. 
Preston  and Robert Niland. Brothers who inspired the film Saving Private Ryan. 
Frank D. Peregory. Medal of Honor recipient. 
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. Medal of Honor recipient, son of President Theodore Roosevelt. 
Quentin Roosevelt. Son of President Theodore Roosevelt; World War I aviator killed in action in eastern France. After the construction of Normandy American Cemetery, Quentin was reburied next to his brother.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Well, I have a similar packing problem, but not as bad as yours. I am going to Orlando to visit with Sister and her husband post cruise. Will definitely need the washer and dryer when I get there! See you all onboard on the 30th!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LivGreat said:

Well, I have a similar packing problem, but not as bad as yours. I am going to Orlando to visit with Sister and her husband post cruise. Will definitely need the washer and dryer when I get there! See you all onboard on the 30th!

Welcome to the Daily 🙂. HAL’s laundry is pretty good and reasonable 👍 You might want to make use of it on your cruise to eliminate some of your washing & drying 😉 

• Like 13