Cruise cancellations on RCL. Can it happen on Princess?

Luckiestmanonearth

Alot of chatter on the RCL board about cruises being cancelled this weekend through March (see below)

Will this happen in Princess ?

As a result of the ongoing COVID-related circumstances around the world, and in abundance of caution, we have made the tough decision to pause operations on the following ships:

• Jewel of the Seas sailings from Jan. 9 – Feb. 12, returning on Feb. 20, 2022
  • Serenade of the Seas sailings from Jan. 8 – March 5, resuming service after her dry dock on April 26, 2022
  • Symphony of the Seas sailings from Jan. 8 – Jan. 22, returning on Jan. 29, 2022
  • Vision of the Seas’ return to cruising is postponed until March 7, 2022
Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

• Luckiestmanonearth changed the title to Cruise cancellations on RCL. Can it happen on Princess?

I think what would cause this would be if COVID spreads amongst the crew in significant numbers. Or if the ship has no place to go due to too many ports refusing the ship to dock.

I am glad it doesn't spread on surfaces. I think that helps some.

I am not one that likes Princess's insurance but I would recommend it so you can cancel for any reason.

------

I hope if anything - that they reconsider designs of new builds with larger crew quarters. Probably too optimistic. 

Edited by Coral

Is this because RCCL is now requiring all cruisers to be vaccinated 14 days before embarkation like Princess has done since the restart? Maybe they think that's not enough time to get 2 shots + 14 days??

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

Could it happen?  Yes.  Will it happen?  That's the real question to ask.  IMO, I doubt it.  With the exception of the severe over reaction of one couple on Ruby, everything that I've been reading so far, it seems Princess is the most "under control".  Yes, there are still cases, but they're not exploding.  I'd feel far more comfortable sailing on Princess right now than any other cruise line to be be perfectly honest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Is this because RCCL is now requiring all cruisers to be vaccinated 14 days before embarkation like Princess has done since the restart? Maybe they think that's not enough time to get 2 shots + 14 days??

There has to be more than that. There are enough fully vaccinated adults and most kids are in school now.

24 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I'd feel far more comfortable sailing on Princess right now than any other cruise line to be be perfectly honest.

I think there are other lines who are taking things seriously also. I don't think Princess is much better than other lines. They are probably better than RCCL though.

We were in port with an RCCL ship in Cabo. In the pier area - masks were required. Most from RCCL were not following the rules.

Edited by Coral

NCL announced cancellations 1/5.  Mostly the smaller ships in the Caribbean , but also South America.  The cancellations on both lines are primality due to a significant  number of crew testing positive and ports closing.  This is documented here on Cruise Critic and other social media sites by folks on current sailings.

It could happen, but I do not think that it will happen in large numbers.  Maybe an individual cruise or two.

Keep in mind that in November Princess made the decision to not bring the Crown and Island Princess back to operation.  That left them with two full crews as spares.

Have not heard how they are using the Island, but the Crown is being used on the West Coast as a quarantine ship for both Princess and HAL.

That provides them with a cushion of resources.

Also the biggest issues so far seem to be on Caribbean cruises.  The case numbers in FL indicate about 3 per 1000 of population compared to CA where it is about 1.25.  More cases in population, more likely hood of cases making it through pre-cruise testing.

Also seems to be more problems on the lines that allowed unvaccinated children and had much higher occupancy numbers during the holidays.

Also the HAL and Princess both had tighter masks requirements than Royal and NCL.  Though they have tightened them after the first cruises with cases.  Though I suspect that they may have more passengers that are more resistant to wearing them since they were not part of the protocol when they booked.

So while there certainly be cases on Princess, I do not expect it to rise to the level of impact as on RCL and NCL.

• Like 1

I have seen many reports of lax mask wearing and little social distancing on Royal Caribbean, NCL & Carnival.  Also reports of those highly infected ships sailing at high (90%) capacity over the holidays.  I have been following the situation closely as we are sailing on Celebrity prior to our Princess Cruise.  Reports of lax mask wearing on Celebrity were causing us to rethink taking our Apex cruise prior to our Enchantment sailing.  Since Celebrity is now requiring masks indoors, we plan to keep our reservation on the Apex.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nocl said:

It could happen, but I do not think that it will happen in large numbers.  Maybe an individual cruise or two.

Keep in mind that in November Princess made the decision to not bring the Crown and Island Princess back to operation.  That left them with two full crews as spares.

Have not heard how they are using the Island, but the Crown is being used on the West Coast as a quarantine ship for both Princess and HAL.

That provides them with a cushion of resources.

Also the biggest issues so far seem to be on Caribbean cruises.  The case numbers in FL indicate about 3 per 1000 of population compared to CA where it is about 1.25.  More cases in population, more likely hood of cases making it through pre-cruise testing.

Also seems to be more problems on the lines that allowed unvaccinated children and had much higher occupancy numbers during the holidays.

Also the HAL and Princess both had tighter masks requirements than Royal and NCL.  Though they have tightened them after the first cruises with cases.  Though I suspect that they may have more passengers that are more resistant to wearing them since they were not part of the protocol when they booked.

So while there certainly be cases on Princess, I do not expect it to rise to the level of impact as on RCL and NCL.

The cruise lines are there own worst enemy.  First of all, sailing with max capacity when they can and second, not enforcing a simple mask rule that helps to prevent the spread.

Sounds like Princess is doing a much better job than most.  Let’s hope they’re it up

28 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I have seen many reports of lax mask wearing and little social distancing on Royal Caribbean, NCL & Carnival.  Also reports of those highly infected ships sailing at high (90%) capacity over the holidays.  I have been following the situation closely as we are sailing on Celebrity prior to our Princess Cruise.  Reports of lax mask wearing on Celebrity were causing us to rethink taking our Apex cruise prior to our Enchantment sailing.  Since Celebrity is now requiring masks indoors, we plan to keep our reservation on the Apex.  

Unfortunately as through the whole pandemic your safety is largely reliant on other's acting responsibly. Lax mask wearing can happen anywhere and is going to vary by the individuals onboard. There can be di$?heads on any ship.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

I didn’t realize Caribbean Princess is going into dry dock from Mar 13 to May 7, 2022.  We will hopefully be sailing on this ship on Jan 23rd 

Caribbean Princess is not going into dry dock till April, it is doing a Panama canal from FLL to YVR on March 19, 2022, then a few short West coast to get her to dry dock. Appears drydock about 19 days, then she has SF to FLL on April 26, 2022.

You can see the new/replaced Caribbean Princess sailings at Princess.com

44 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Same industry, pretty much same business model and same set up. What do you think.

Same industry, a number of differences in protocols, differences in resource preparation, differences in passenger demographics.

• Like 3