The First Thing an American will notice about P&O is…

Tapi

Hello fellow cruisers across the Atlantic!

We are a family from the USA who just booked our first P&O Cruise (aboard Britannia to the Norwegian Fjords). Kids will be 13 and 11 at the time of sailing. We are beyond thrilled to sail on a cruise line and region that we’ve never sailed on before.

So just for fun, what do you think will be the first thing/difference that I’ll notice about sailing on P&O? (as a first timer from the USA). 

For reference, the majority of our cruises have been aboard US cruise lines sailing in the Americas, except for the Mediterranean on MSC. I also sailed on Cunard and Costa in my younger years before marriage and children. 

Thanks again for participating! Looking forwarding to your answers! 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

Ok, here’s a few to kick things off:

… the lack of other Americans

… dressing for dinner

… the lack of tipping (particularly at bars)

… less hard sell 

I’m sure your family will have a wonderful time! Just come prepared for all types of weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, funinhounslow said:

Prices in pounds

The food - a lot of British favourites available 

Yes, don't expect crispy bacon and pancakes on the breakfast menu.

You might also be disappointed that the passenger service staff don't have the same "can do" attitude that you get on RCI.

But 90% of the experience should be very familiar, I hope you enjoy your cruise.

PS do you understand the British sense of humour, I hope so.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Britannia is similar in layout to Princess Royal class ships but with the added Crows Nest at the front of the ship which will give great views travelling up through the North Sea of the oil rigs and especially the scenery of the fjords. The daylight hours are longer and spending time in the Crows Nest in the evening was great when we were on Oriana. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Thanks 1

Let's hope more Americans follow you across the Pond. Always nice to have more of an international mix of passengers. You will have people jostling to be on your trivia team for your American knowledge! 🙃

You will also have tea and coffee making facilities in your stateroom.

Ask for 'well done streaky bacon' if you are missing your American bacon, it's the nearest you might get. However, do try our English bacon too. I'm sure you'll like it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We also have old traditions and pastimes such as queuing, you will find it onboard 

and off ship as well us Brit's love it :classic_love: So should you come across one outside a bar /

shop or food venue please feel free to join in but it isn't compulsory.:classic_unsure:

P&O ships in "Normal " times ,the passengers have what we call sail-away parties .

They are not really parties but the Brits do like to stand there regardless of weather

and wave their mini union jack flags at some other cruise ship or fishing trawler !

Maybe you could get a mini version of the stars and stripes and join in but do not worry 

chances are they will give you our flag if you cannot supply your own :classic_smile:

Wishing you and your family have a superb cruise :classic_smile::classic_love:

• Thanks 1

You can get fried bread at breakfast.  The comedians jokes will bewilder you.  Baseball caps are not de rigueur.  Formal nights are formal.  A lot of the waiting staff come from Goa and have accents we understand. The English speak with many different accents then there are the Scots and Welsh and they each  have various accents.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have had some great fun with Americans over the years albeit not so much on P&O, I love the way some Americans view us, when we did Hawaii just before Megan and Harry's wedding  the ship had mainly US pax and they were really giddy about the upcoming wedding, the number of times we got asked if we were going, as if. We have so many accents and local sayings so confuse ourselves sometimes, just don't take offence when someone commend's the missis on her fanny pack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have had some great fun with Americans over the years albeit not so much on P&O, I love the way some Americans view us, when we did Hawaii just before Megan and Harry's wedding  the ship had mainly US pax and they were really giddy about the upcoming wedding, the number of times we got asked if we were going, as if. We have so many accents and local sayings so confuse ourselves sometimes, just don't take offence when someone commend's the missis on her fanny pack.

Could be worse,you can't wear thongs in the MDR on Aussie cruises.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think most Americans now know what the words queue or loo mean. Also we call elevators lifts. If someone says they are going for a fag break they mean a cigarette. If you see someone in the shop asking for a rubber they are asking for an eraser.  Men will be wearing dinner jackets or dinner suits on a formal night although some Brits now do call them a Tux . We pronounce Caribbean properly 😂😂😂  also tomato and the one my husband loves the American pronunciation of - a buoy, we pronounce it boy . 😂 What we call trousers you call pants . Pants to us refer to our underwear.  What you call a fanny pack we call a bum bag, that word you use is a rude word for a ladies private part, I think most Brits understand you use that word though.  Your sidewalk is our pavement, your pavement is our road. Your child's buggy is a pushchair. I could go on and on 

The word I used on our last Princess Cruise which really threw the Americans we were sat with was lorry, you would say truck.

Edited by amajaa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The food. Over recent years, American Lines have been providing a very diverse range of foods to reflect the multi-cultural nature of their passenger demographic. P&O menus are very British (particularly in the mdr's), apart from provision of Indian food. You might notice smaller portions and more veg.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, john watson said:

You can get fried bread at breakfast.  The comedians jokes will bewilder you.  Baseball caps are not de rigueur.  Formal nights are formal.  A lot of the waiting staff come from Goa and have accents we understand. The English speak with many different accents then there are the Scots and Welsh and they each  have various accents.

Regards John

True enough.

To our friends from the USA, please remember that UK and England don’t mean the same thing, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot of these posts have been about UK vs US differences,  rather than the differences between P&O  and US cruise lines.

So, from a cruise point of view:

P&O staff more reserved 

Dinner is eaten later 

People dress up more for dinner

No need to tip everytime a waiter brings you a beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

… the lack of tipping (particularly at bars)

… less hard sell 

Thanks for the information. Concerning tipping, I’m accustomed to automatic tipping for cabin and restaurant staff on US based sailings. I read on the P&O website that “tipping is not required”. Does that apply to cabin and wait staff, and do they mean “not required but appreciated or expected”? I know that this can be a hot topic, at least on the US cruise line boards so I want to get it right on P&O.

“Less of a hard sell” will be a welcome change. It seems like here it’s becoming worse and worse. On our last cruise from Miami (back in September) we were bombarded as soon as we entered the ship within the first 2 minutes by at least 5-6 staff members, blocking our way, and holding signs for drink packages, specialty restaurants, spa treatments, etc. Not an enjoyable way to being our vacation. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

PS do you understand the British sense of humour, I hope so.😉

To some extent, but I promise I’ll go with a very open mind! 😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Concerning tipping, I’m accustomed to automatic tipping for cabin and restaurant staff on US based sailings. I read on the P&O website that “tipping is not required”. Does that apply to cabin and wait staff, and do they mean “not required but appreciated or expected”? I know that this can be a hot topic, at least on the US cruise line boards so I want to get it right on P&O.

The tipping charges on voyages are now included in the fare.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kalos said:

P&O ships in "Normal " times ,the passengers have what we call sail-away parties .

They are not really parties but the Brits do like to stand there regardless of weather

and wave their mini union jack flags at some other cruise ship or fishing trawler !

I actually came across a YouTube video of a sail away party as you describe. I was truly looking forward to it! However, I also came across a news article stating that these parties were discontinued in early 2020 right before the pandemic started and replaced with something else, citing different reasons. Would you know if that’s the case and if so, if it’s a permanent change? 

5 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Thanks for the information. Concerning tipping, I’m accustomed to automatic tipping for cabin and restaurant staff on US based sailings. I read on the P&O website that “tipping is not required”. Does that apply to cabin and wait staff, and do they mean “not required but appreciated or expected”? I know that this can be a hot topic, at least on the US cruise line boards so I want to get it right on P&O.

“Less of a hard sell” will be a welcome change. It seems like here it’s becoming worse and worse. On our last cruise from Miami (back in September) we were bombarded as soon as we entered the ship within the first 2 minutes by at least 5-6 staff members, blocking our way, and holding signs for drink packages, specialty restaurants, spa treatments, etc. Not an enjoyable way to being our vacation. 

Tips are included but as you suggest, a little extra for your cabin steward will be appreciated. Whether you also tip your waiters will depend if you are on fixed time (Club) dining or freedom. I am afraid you will still be bombarded by people selling drink packages etc, but they also understand a polite 'no thanks.' Enjoy. The Fjords are stunning. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I actually came across a YouTube video of a sail away party as you describe. I was truly looking forward to it! However, I also came across a news article stating that these parties were discontinued in early 2020 right before the pandemic started and replaced with something else, citing different reasons. Would you know if that’s the case and if so, if it’s a permanent change? 

Sorry I don't know and not sure what they got replaced with as I was more inclined to have a beer on our balcony watching the stevedores slipping the ropes.

Wishing you and your family a great cruise :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Tips are included but as you suggest, a little extra for your cabin steward will be appreciated. Whether you also tip your waiters will depend if you are on fixed time (Club) dining or freedom. I am afraid you will still be bombarded by people selling drink packages etc, but they also understand a polite 'no thanks.' Enjoy. The Fjords are stunning. 

We missed out nobody asked us to sign up for a drinks package, probably thought we couldn't afford it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1