Cruise Only Rate vs Included

erby2283

I have never sailed on Celebrity and am always looking at a variety of options when searching for cruises. I was, however, a little confused when trying to price out cruises on Celebrity due to their "Cruise Only Rate." Just to confirm, this rate is just a stand alone rate and includes nothing but the cruise as compared to the "Drinks. Wifi. Tips Included" rate? Can someone of you tell me if you always book one rate over the other or if there a deciding price factor?  For example, if you know tips are going to cost $200 p/p and the cruise only rate is only $150 p/p less than the always included rate, it would make no sense to book the cruise only rate. Is a cruise only rate usually a guarantee room?  Basically was just looking for the most information available between these two rates - especially coming from someone who would not need the benefit of needing a drink package. I've looked at their website but it was still a bit confusing to me. Thanks to all who reply.  

Edited by erby2283

Welcome to the forum e2.

You will get a few a few responses to your questions I Am sure, here are mine:

SOR is just that, sail only and no added items e.g. gratuities, beverages and/or wifi;

SOR is almost always for a guarantee cabin, no advance selection; and then,

Compare the AI rate to the SOR by taking the daily charges for the included items in AI and adding them to the SOR. Now if there are any items which you believe you may not want or need do not add them and then compare the two (2) to decide if either is a better value than the other.

bon voyage

• Like 5

This thread has some insight: 

Basically, you have to do the math. I figure out how much it could cost to buy the beverage package and the wifi along with paying tips and the OBC. If you book a Simply Sail rate with Celebrity, I believe the cabin is always a guarantee. Some travel agents have group rates without all included and you can select the cabin.

We have a back to back on Apex later this year. The first cruise, the math didn’t make sense to buy the all included rate. The cost difference was almost $5,000 and the actual cost to buy them individually was less. For the second cruise, the math said take all included.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

Some travel agents have group rates without all included and you can select the cabin.

We went with a travel agent who was able to get us the cruise-only fare for our Apex sailing next month in a Sky Suite with an assigned cabin; when we were shopping around it seemed like very few travel agents could offer that (mainly it was guarantee only for the cruise-only fare).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree that a TA can get you cruise only rates with assigned cabins.  Especially if they have unsold cabins in a group block.  Those will likely have a perk or two and some OBC from the TA as well.

My opinion is if you are Elite or higher then Simple Sail probably a better deal for light drinkers.

For newer cruisers estimate your booze and latte expenses along with tips and internet if you like and compare.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

My opinion is if you are Elite or higher then Simple Sail probably a better deal for light drinkers.

For newer cruisers estimate your booze and latte expenses along with tips and internet if you like and compare.  

Is it true that Celebrity will recognize my Royal Caribbean status or am I remembering that wrong?

All the other responses are really good.   I will just add one item.

Check closely and make sure that the initial quotes are for NON-REFUNDABLE deposits and the amount for a Refundable is an option right under insurance.   It can be substantial.  I often book a refundable and then when getting close to final payment and willing to take the risk I change to Non-Refundable.   Sometimes in doing so will also loose you some perks.  

Do the math or find a good agent that will guide you. 

• Thanks 1

I realize much of our focus in on the pricing, but there can be a bit more than ‘which one is the best price’, at least for me. 

Yes, I’m E+ and I get the free (yes, I know, nothing is ‘free’) happy hr drinks so the AI drinks wouldn’t be that great of a deal. And no, I don’t knock a dozen or so drinks down a day. But I do enjoy a drink outside the happy hr time. We usually take main dining time of 6:00pm which means I have a relatively short happy hr, and I enjoy a nice wine with dinner, and usually enjoy a drink more after dinner than prior, although I’d never turn one down prior! 

So for me, although pricing out AI and Cruise Only indicates I’d save a few bucks going CO (got tired of typing that out), I prefer AI. It gives me more flexibility and enjoyment of a few drinks outside the set Elite happy hr time, and I don’t have to sit and make sure we are available for sloshing them down just prior to dining and so on. 

And I’d Love it if Celebrity (and all others) added Gratuities to the set SR price, but of course that would mean 2/3rd of our threads here would go away. Oh well. 

Den

• Haha 1

Different people have different preferences. On a 7 night cruise the difference between guarantee and included sail rates seems to be around $300 pp for comparable rooms. You pay $100 pp in tips that vs having them included so the question is whether the drink package, wifi, and choosing your cabin is worth $200 pp. for me that’s an easy yes. It may not be for you. And if you find a substantially better deal then sail away may be better.

• Like 1

I did notice that some Simply Sale rates do allow you to book a cabin and not have the guarantee. Maybe these were cruises 30 days or so prior to sailing. They should allow you to choose your cabin for that Simply sale rate. We’re Elite now and haven’t cruised since Feb 2020 so we’ll have to compare pricing when we’re ready to cruise again, whenever that will be.

1 hour ago, viperfoth said:

Here is another question. Sail Only Rate inside of a Suite will we still get drinks and such inside of the Retreat Lounge?

Yes, you will, as well as access to Luminae, to the Retreat Concierge(s), and to the Retreat Sundeck (if one is on the ship).

2 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Yes, you will, as well as access to Luminae, to the Retreat Concierge(s), and to the Retreat Sundeck (if one is on the ship).

that seems like a decent deal.  We are Elite+ so tea/coffee is free.  240 internet.  5-7 drinks.  And if we get Retreat Lounge with free drinks it seems like a great option.  

6 hours ago, viperfoth said:

that seems like a decent deal.  We are Elite+ so tea/coffee is free.  240 internet.  5-7 drinks.  And if we get Retreat Lounge with free drinks it seems like a great option.  

The free specialty coffees and teas are only available at Cafe Al Bacio and the 2nd location on E-Class ships. All alcohol in the Retreat Lounge is included. In the Retreat Sundeck soft drinks,water and coffee/teas are included,any alcohol is charged.

In our Sky suite on the Apex without a drink package the in-room minibar water (including premium bottled water),sodas and beer were included. The spirits and wine were chargeable. The cabin comes with a bottle of sparkling wine. After conversation with you butler about you drink preferences and the fact you don't have a drink package the Butler may offer a bottle of wine complementary. Don't feel awkward about asking your butler what's chargeable and what's complimentary, it's your money!

In luminae premium bottled water is complementary. Alcohol is chargeable and Elite Happy hour doesn't apply nor does Elite+ coffee benefits (espresso based coffee is chargeable during dinner). 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were able to book the Sail Only rate directly with Celebrity in October for a February cruise.  We were able to choose our cabin.  The difference in price with other promotions and then adding back in gratuities netted us about $70 a day.  We are Elite + and get the 240 minutes ( which are streaming by the way), drinks from 5-7 are fine for us, we have On Board Credit from booking a Passages on our previous cruise that will cover most of the gratuities, and get complimentary coffee and tea at Cafe Al Bacio.  For us the $70 will more than cover the occasional soda, glass of wine or bottle of water we will want at other times.  We usually bring our allowed 2 bottles of wine on board anyway for enjoying in the cabin.  It works for us.  I can certainly understand the allure of All Included, as we did it on our previous cruise.  But we found a lot of beverages we wanted were not included anyway and the internet minutes were awful.  They did not even allow the images in a Celebrity e-mail to show up.

• Thanks 2

Getting back to the OP's original question. They have no status, so they will not have any included wifi or happy hour drinks. They also stated they don't drink, BUT, the drink package gives you much more than just alcohol. Do you drink sodas? Like specialty coffees? Bottled water? Virgin frozen drinks? All that and more comes with the drink package. If you don't have it and want them then there is a charge. Basically if you're ok with tap water, tea, lemonade and a couple of fruit drinks then you'll do alright without the drink package. For us it's been so many years since we haven't had it we'd be lost. As so many others have said, do the math. Then there's internet. In this day and age most of do like to stay in touch with friends and family. Yes, 20 years ago we did just fine without it, but that was then, this is now. 

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, ORV said:

Getting back to the OP's original question. They have no status, so they will not have any included wifi or happy hour drinks. They also stated they don't drink, BUT, the drink package gives you much more than just alcohol. Do you drink sodas? Like specialty coffees? Bottled water? Virgin frozen drinks? All that and more comes with the drink package. If you don't have it and want them then there is a charge. Basically if you're ok with tap water, tea, lemonade and a couple of fruit drinks then you'll do alright without the drink package. For us it's been so many years since we haven't had it we'd be lost. As so many others have said, do the math. Then there's internet. In this day and age most of do like to stay in touch with friends and family. Yes, 20 years ago we did just fine without it, but that was then, this is now. 

Thanks for the added information. I usually do drink soda at dinner and a virgin pina colada now a then - but no on the coffee for sure.  I've been pretty lucky on other lines in the past and have been able to purchase a drink or internet package when it's gone on sale and gotten it pretty cheap (like the non-alcohol package on my last cruise I got for $19 a day which I thought was a steal). Not sure whether celebrity occasionally offers separate deals on drink and internet packages as well?

Thanks to everyone else still answering, I'm still reading. 🙂

Just popping back on to thank everyone for their help.

On 2/1/2022 at 2:40 PM, erby2283 said:

Thanks for the added information. I usually do drink soda at dinner and a virgin pina colada now a then - but no on the coffee for sure.  I've been pretty lucky on other lines in the past and have been able to purchase a drink or internet package when it's gone on sale and gotten it pretty cheap (like the non-alcohol package on my last cruise I got for $19 a day which I thought was a steal). Not sure whether celebrity occasionally offers separate deals on drink and internet packages as well?

Thanks to everyone else still answering, I'm still reading. 🙂

Just popping back on to thank everyone for their help.

Celebrity has a classic non alcoholic drink package for $18/day.  It covered soda, plain bottled water, and premium coffees.  (I don’t know but would like to know if premium coffees means all the specialty coffees such as cappuccinos and lattes at Al Bacio.)