No Apology from Captain or Sr Officer at Princess Cruises

paperpushere

On the 27 Dec we started a second part of a back to back cruise on the Ruby Princess.  Because of an AI/Electronic error we were shown as a paid wine package for this cruise.  It was an error and three days later the system caught up with us.  The Sr Bar Management was very rude in advising us and following up on our discussion about the situation.   We have written to Customer Service at Princess about this event and to-date (28 Jan 22) no reply has been received.  

Attached is correspondence referred to this event. 

rubydrinsFB02.txt

So, let me get this straight.  You accepted drinks without paying for them, even though you knew you should pay for them.  You did this more than once (your statement said on the 3rd day they caught up with you).  Prior to day 3, did you ever bring it to the attention of someone at Guest Services or did you continue to accept the free drinks you should have knowingly paid for?  Well, after many years working in food service, no matter how you word it, this is theft.  And you expect an apology.  SMH 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

First of all I am sorry you had a less than experience on the Ruby.  I am very familiar with the bar crews on deck 5 & Explorers that were on board while you sailed as I sailed before you and again after you. As you pointed out in your letter the crew were amazing and I am glad you gave them props. 

I will have to say though that I had a very hard time following your logic in the communications you attached due to so many grammatical & spelling errors as well as the use of terms in ways that are confusing such as “wine package” when you seem to be referring to a premier beverage package. 

I suggest that this may have contributed to some of your problems with senior staff. 

When you state “We left pleased but confused”. It was your responsibility to go directly to guest services and have the package turned off. That’s it. You knew it was in error and you had a responsibility to alert guest services. At the very least if you were desperate for a glass of wine you should have purchased a bottle.  Bottles aren’t covered under the package and all you’d have to pay back is the 25% discount you got. I do hope you have since paid for all the beverages you consumed on the second voyage. 

From your correspondence:

“We purchased the second cruise on-board the Ship and knew we would not be covered for the Wine Package etc as was the first sailing. We went to the bar to make a purchase of a wine package from the 'Explorers Bar' which was the manner to make the buy. At the bar station the steward advised we were covered the next 10 days. We left pleased but confused. It took the Princess accounting 3 days to tell the machines to cut off our 'paid drinks package' We tried talking to a Sr Manager from the Bar group and suggested because the we were told we were covered, it should continue for the duration of the cruise.”

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 2

To OP- the very least you should of got on-board was “ we are sorry, there was an error”. No charge for the drinks you had in error. You did ask and were told you had wine package for 2 nd cruise. Their error. You were not out to cheat them. 

take care of issues with Hotel Management/ wine manager while on-board. Captain should not be involved 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paperpushere said:

On the 27 Dec we started a second part of a back to back cruise on the Ruby Princess.  Because of an AI/Electronic error we were shown as a paid wine package for this cruise.  It was an error and three days later the system caught up with us.  The Sr Bar Management was very rude in advising us and following up on our discussion about the situation.   We have written to Customer Service at Princess about this event and to-date (28 Jan 22) no reply has been received.  

Attached is correspondence referred to this event. 

rubydrinsFB02.txt 5.75 kB · 44 downloads

Your embarrassing yourself.  Pay the bill.   Just a heads up, do spell checks before you send emails.  

• Like 10

My Friend, time to let this go.  Thinking that the ship's captain would involve himself in a beverage package mix-up (where I think you accidently received 3 days of free drinks) is kind of unrealistic.  You did speak to at least the beverage manager who did offer to pro-rate the beverage/wine package for the remaining days of your cruise, but I think at that point you wanted it for free. (Your letter was confusing, so I might be wrong).

Anyway, the ship's beverage manager did offer to work with you, and you declined hoping for a free drink/wine compensation outcome.  I think you gambled and lost (in a tie the house/ship always wins!).

• Like 11

I agree with the previous posters. It sounds like you got drinks for free for the first two days of your second cruise and the bar manager then offered to prorate the package for the remainder of your cruise. I am not sure why you think you should get it free for the entire second cruise when Princess finally realized you had not paid for it. You admit that you should have been charged.

• Like 9

I have to ask. On the third day did they simply turn off the free drinks or did they ask you to pay for the drinks you consumed during day one and day two? If it was they turned off the drinks package and nothing else you ended up with two days of free drinks, why do you need an apology?

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Why should the Captain apologize?  Time to find another cruise line.

Or take personal responsibility for their actions. I don't think any cruise line would suffice for that behavior.

I recently visited a local restaurant which I know struggled during the pandemic. They said what the total was and I thought it was wrong - I said that it didn't sound right. We compared what I ordered and they realized they under charged me. They were ok with letting it go and I suggested they re-ring things up. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Here, I'll write the 'apology' for them: (FYI addressed to your pseudonyms listed on attachment)

"Barbara C. and Peter P.,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. You did not purchase the Best Value Package so your bill has been corrected. Should you wish to disembark earlier than final day please inform security."

Edited by Ombud
Edited names
  • Like 13
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I assume they did not post their real names. What idiot would do that??

😀or the o p could have  taken personal responsibility of editing that part before posting ...lol

• Like 2