What happens with guests who "don't do technology?"

Vagabond Knight

10 minutes ago, finny2 said:

How can you see who the captain and cruise director are?

I was just having fun, to me it does not matter, I never have need to interact with them.  That said many love to do so, there are quite a few threads with running lists of who they are on various upcoming sailings.  If I can I will post here.  

Even if on my phone I still print everything out. A sense of security for me in case of any "what ifs. Plus I save everything in a folder. These past 2 years with no cruises I have hauled out the folders and look at everything and remembered the good times.

Laura

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

You can call and book on the phone, if you don't have a computer, have it sent to a friend.  The entire check-in process can be done at port.  The whole I need my luggage tags now, boarding time stuff, yes it matters (insert eye roll), but at the end of the day if checking in at the port, you'll still board the ship.  Just be sure you know who the captain and cruise director are.

oh would either the captain or cruise director come a running to help walk you on the ship.   Just kidding.

But I do agree that all checkin can be done the old fashion way.  I mean even folks with computers and or apps on phone still have issues too.

I think sometimes we are all drowning in technology just a bit

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Many of us old geezers have been on computers since before you youngun's were born! In fact- we INVENTED them. And for the few who are not tech savvy- that's what grandchildren are for. 

Oh, for sure!  I just retired after 35+ years in the computer field.  My husband is still doing it for a few more years and started before I did.  I remember going to talks at symposia where experts were explaining the concept of the "world wide web" and how it would work when it started rolling out.  That may have been the symposium where Grace Hopper was the keynote speaker (what a hoot she was!).  But despite our techie backgrounds, we do have friends from other interests who barely know how to work the remote on their TV. 

On the other end of the spectrum, we have grandkids who do not even understand how things could possibly work without technology.  Discussion last year between my daughter (40+) and her daughter who'd just turned 8:

Granddaughter (reading): Mom, what is this word?
Daughter: encyclopedia
Granddaughter:  What is that?
Daughter: It's a series of books that knows everything about everything.
Granddaughter:  So it's like Siri?
Daughter: Kind of. But in a book form.
Granddaughter:  Oh, so you open it up and Google is inside?

Edited by Vagabond Knight
  • Haha 1

As someone who grew up as computers entered daily lives and the internet really took off (I am almost 40), it amuses me when I hear technology as being too difficult for older individuals. What I mean is computers have been pretty common for at least 25 five years and certainly 30-35 years for some. If we do the math, someone who is 80, would have been 55. Now they may not be computer experts, but checking email and understanding how to use the internet has been a part of life for a long time. 

On 2/14/2022 at 1:37 AM, Vagabond Knight said:

So, I did my online check-in, which then then told me I had to download the Celebrity app to input my vaccination info, which I did.   However, I got to wondering about older friends of ours who don't have computers or smart phones (we have some older friends with nothing but flip-phones... and for one of these guys, it's his first cell phone EVER!).  Are these people not allowed to sail on Celebrity these day?

I don't have, need or use a smart phone. Take copies of everything on paper and still get through check in quickly. 

On our Apex cruise last month, anyone without the app would not have had the most up to date "Celebrity Today". The paper ones became incorrect every day as activities, shows and their locations changed quite a bit. In fact, we were constantly reminded to refresh our apps every time we opened them to ensure we has the most current schedule.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:28 PM, Vagabond Knight said:

Although I have a very competent smartphone, I don't necessarily want to carry it around with me all the time.  Maybe they'll eventually go to something like the Disney magic band for onboard access/reservations/purchases.

It looks like Disney's slowly doing away with Magic Bands - and they never made it to DCL beyond the kids club. Disney's smartphone app is fully-featured, and allows for use as a magic band (and works well for opening doors and getting into parks). It also pairs with smart watches, so if you have an Apple Watch already, no need for a magic band (though it may not work for charging to the room). My husband did Disney last summer without a Magic Band, and they're no longer free with bookings (the single color bands were $10 when we travelled) and I didn't find the Magic Band to be that much more convenient than my phone - which was pretty much required to do stuff in the parks. 

I know Princess has their Medallion which sounds like a similar thing - but with Disney slowly backing away from the RFID Bracelet option (probably as an extra cost when everyone already has stuff that works on them), I have to wonder how long that will continue as well. 

I am sure that there are some Celebrity cruisers not comfortable with technology - but saying "older folks" is a sweeping and inaccurate generalization.  IMO it is pretty rare these days.  Even my 90+ years FIL and MIL recently switched their flip phones to smart phones and were pretty good at using them in just a few hours.  There are ways around the requirement for technology as others have posted on this thread for cruising.  But not for most other things in life these days.   Other family members or friends could help if necessary too.

• Like 1

There certainly are some people (of all ages) who have terrible problems with electronics of all kinds. My s-i-l  can barely turn on her TV and as far as changing channels---  It is also true that no matter how tech savvy you are, some things and some websites are distinctly non-user friendly. I find parts of the Celebrity website rather opaque- eg, finding menus currently posted for my July cruise is a hit or miss experience. And I have been on computers since the days of cards and house-sized computers. Nevertheless, I would much prefer to lock my phone in the safe for most of the time I am onboard- there have to be other ways of unlocking my cabin door. I can but prefer not to rely entirely on electronics for everything in life. 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:10 AM, 5waldos said:

I was running cards through a computer the size of a small house in the early '70s.

In 1963 I was punching cards and then running them through an IBM 401 Accounting Machine. Had to program that beast by moving jumper cables on a punch board. By 1964 I was putting the cards through an IBM 701 (?). I am eternally grateful to the professor who said “ hey Stan, would you like to earn $1.25 an hour as a research assistant and process some data for me?” 

• Like 3

On 2/14/2022 at 7:12 AM, jelayne said:

You show the Xpress pass on your phone at the port .  Either in the app or by taking a screen shot. The  same for your Covid test results. You can show the emailed result.

Except not today to enter the EU.  They want the actual document for Covid proof 

In my experience, very few people are unable to use the required technology. there are more than a few who do not want to and want personal service and others who, as we see from a number of the posts here, who do the required work, but just don’t want to walk around with their phone while on board. There are options for each. All each person’s choices, but in reality, few who can’t.  

I found when we switched our non-profit over to on line that the real issues over the complaints was more to do with “I want someone doing it for me”. When I got into a discussion with the most verbal complainers, turned out they had full capability of handling the online effort, but just ‘hated the changes’. 

we now get the job done with 5 people handling the online and direct help instead of the 30+ we had to have for in-person registering. 

Den

We manage fine with an old computer at home, and very old phones and a tablet. Check in papers  went fine and they took our photos at check in.

No need to worry..no big deal if u dont app.  And u can enter your rm, adjust temps and windows ( on EDGE), book res..all  without a smart phone

.   Lots of info on the stateroom tv, daily calendar and annoying phone calls about events!

We keep the phones OFF and locked in the safe and  use the tablet to read downloaded books and check e mails..

Glad we are not extensions of our phones..esp on a cruise!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MarKay525 said:

If one is not inclined to carry a smartphone while on vacation and is staying in a suite, is your Sea Pass needed to gain access to Luminae, the Retreat Lounge or the Retreat Sundeck (Edge class)?

Pre-COVID on Edge you used your Sea Pass card for entry into the Retreat Lounge or to access the Retreat Sundeck using the exterior stairs from outside.  Once in the Retreat Lounge there was a stairway from the balcony going up to the Sundeck so no card needed.

Luminae is an open door during hours of service. You only needed to provide your stateroom number to the host/hostess. 

12 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

If one is not inclined to carry a smartphone while on vacation and is staying in a suite, is your Sea Pass needed to gain access to Luminae, the Retreat Lounge or the Retreat Sundeck (Edge class)?

Thanks.

Kay

Yes.  That’s the other alternative, just carry your sea pass with you where ever you go.

You will not be able to get in the doors of the Retreat Lounge without your sea pass.  That unlocks the doors to get in.  Same for the Retreat pool and bar areas.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yes.  That’s the other alternative, just carry your sea pass with you where ever you go.

You will not be able to get in the doors of the Retreat Lounge without your sea pass.  That unlocks the doors to get in.  Same for the Retreat pool and bar areas.

Thanks - let the lanyard shopping begin!

• Like 1