The Daily for Thursday 03/03/2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning from St. Thomas.

Thank you for the daily and the care and  update lists.

Caregiving is in a break period for me.  I did a lot of that for my Dad even though living 4 states away. I would order his meds and relieve his caregivers for a week a couple of times a year. My DH went quickly and slowly but no caregiving on my part other than handling that  his end of life wishes were met. He went in the hospital on 4/1/15 into hospice 4/13 and passed on 4/26.   Some kind of meningitis. I really had no meaningful communication once he was disoriented and I took him to the ER.  My cats caused enough mischief without thumbs.  The quote is so true.  Live in the moment and find happiness in it. 

I have had too many tasteless pressure cooker meals cooked by my mom so I don't have one. Mint is a sure case of heartburn.  I love wines from Venezia.   Africa is on my to do list now that I found out HA does a round trip from FL and I won't have to fly.

We had a nice tour of Nevis bookended by a water taxi ride of 45 minutes. Windows so foggy we couldn't enjoy the ride. We had a personable and enthusiastic driver/tour narrator.  I had been there twice before and it was nice to get into the warm sea at Pinney's Beach.  Another wonderful dinner on our balcony.   Lemon sole, chili relleno and pork belly with pineapple. Clothes are shrinking.  

Prayers for Jacqui and Jose, Tana, all on Roy's care list. Prayers for the refugees and those remaining in Ukraine that Russia will face defeat.   🙏🙏🙏

IMG_20220302_175607694.jpg

IMG_20220302_125818049_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220302_150820246_HDR.jpg

4050.jpeg

Nice photos.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and  thanks all!  A special blessing to all the daily caregivers here!   @kazu@mamaofami @cunnorl@smitty34877 apologies to those I missed.  Not an easy job,  sometimes thankless,  but oh so necessary!   Mother Teresa was very wise!  

@Quartzsite Cruiserthanks Lenda for your wonderful photos 

@smitty34877 sorry to hear about Tana’s pneumonia, but hopefully she will feel better with treatment!
@JAM79  happy birthday to your daughters!  

the local schoolchildren made hearts and put them up yesterday!  I couldn’t read them due to all the ice, but a nice sentiment 

8FBED40F-ADB4-4B68-94C8-74C6A9614E08.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Caregivers are so important and I wish they all received the support they deserve daily. I wish everyone happiness. If pets had thumbs, especially dogs, I can only imagine how much more mischief they would get into. 😁

Between a busy day yesterday and CC not being nice to me I was unable to post or like.

Today is my twin daughters' 25th birthday. We will be celebrating at a local Japanese restaurant.

Off to pick up our car from getting new tires so I will check back later.

Wishing everyone a happy day. 😃

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

Happy 25th birthday to your lovely twin daughters Julia.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211028_164408.jpg

Screenshot_20211019_100324.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

The phrase of Namaste means seeing the God in you.  I find that at the Daily, but was afraid that I didn't want to find it face to face with other people.  It would make me work on improving me.  Well, I think it's time that I started with some self searching, and am going to try being out in the world more, even if it's just once a week.

I've been sober for a little over 31 years, but stopped going to meetings about 20 years ago, and today I am going to go back.  I don't really have any secret on sobriety, I haven't done wonderful things, saved the world, furthered my education, I just need to try to be around people again.  In real time.  So wish me luck today. 

Ann, congratulations on your sobriety.   That is a difficult achievement in and of itself, so don't berate yourself for not having done wonderful things.  You have!   I have a ton of experience with sobriety and family members.  My mom had 29 years of sobriety when she died, dad had 32.   One brother and a sister have 33 years now and another brother has 4.  Late to the club, but we all rejoice daily.  One sister to go and we'll be batting 1000!  Given the statistics, we are truly blessed as are you.  Today you may have given someone the courage to take that first step.  That is a wonderful thing.

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I got a lot of news on Jen last night.  The ENT doc says her eardrums are both healed so he isn't sure why she still can't hear on the left side.  No signs of infection there.  He will do hearing tests when she is discharged.  They can't figure out why she still has a low grade fever.  The hospital physician says they will do a CT scan of her back and hips to search for a source for her pain, but they are backed up in that area so not sure exactly when that will happen.  And the speech language pathologist was in because communication has gotten worse.  Jen is having difficulty processing other's speech as well as speaking.  I hope for better news each day.  Thanks for your prayers everyone.

Thank you for the update on Jen.   Prayers that the doctors can find answers to her problems.

3 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Thank you. Yes, some still refer to them as the twins. My Mom referred to them as "the Babies" to the day she passed away and they were almost 15 years old at that time. We all laugh about that at times, but it is a very fond memory for my daughters and me.

(Sorry, I left the entire post, but it wouldn't allow me to delete any of it.)

Happy Birthday to "the Babies."    My two little nieces, cousins, were always referred to as "the little girls" as they were the youngest grandchildren.  They are still the little girls even though they are mid 20's and Lizzy is a mom now.  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  to all. Tana returned  home safely but has another case of pneumonia. Antibiotics were started yesterday and we will cross our fingers and toes that she improves. 

DD wanted to do something special for our wonderful  neighbor and gave the family a gift certificate  for one of our better Irish Pubs in the neighborhood. The family went last night for dinner and had a great  time.

My parents were older when I was born  and DH and I were their caretakers  at the end as my brothers left NY years before. Our children were teenagers and they often helped quite a bit. I learned then to give myself time to breathe  as it was very stressful.

@dfish,Debbie,I think we will try the third recipe tonight after I get the aborio

rice and mushrooms. Instant Pot  risotto  is very good.The vegetarians  will have quiche tonight.

@JAM37,Happy Birthday  to your daughters

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi, thanks for the update on Jen.There us often pain that is not fully explained  after head injuries  and strokes.I hope things improve.

@kazu, Jacqui , I am so glad you will still be able to get in to see Jose.

and thanks for the memes and laughs every day!

Terry 

Sending our prayers 🙏 and best wishes to Tana for the antibiotics to cure her pneumonia.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Caregivers deserve a salute every day. I want everyone to be happy every day! Imagine if pets had thumbs, I bet there'd be trouble! Great quote.

The meal sounds good, if I ate no other carbs all day. I'll pass on the drink and wine. I'm going out to eat this afternoon with BFF.

I haven't been to Namibia.

I'm feeling somewhat better today. My blood pressure seems more like its usual. I think part of my headaches may be my glasses; I didn't use them today until now, but that can cause eye strain as well. I will check with the eye doctor in a couple of weeks about having developed a posterior capsule film after my cataract surgery, before getting a new refraction for glasses. Also trying not to clench my jaw.

@msmayor Glad that all is well with DD.

@cruzn single Sorry to hear you still have after effects from COVID. Take it easy.

@kazu I'm glad you will still be allowed in to see José. 

@JAM37 Happy Birthday to your twin DD's!

@marshhawk Congratulations on your sobriety. I hope you will enjoy easing back into socialization, and I'm sure as a person you have much to offer.

@cunnorl Prayers for a good outcome for your friend's surgery. You're a good friend to help out with the tournament.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the update on Jen; sorry to hear she still has so many issues and I hope some treatments are found. 

@mamaofami Sorry to hear of all the things breaking. Good news on the nose lesion. I think for grocery shopping I'm still going to wear a mask. I don't go many other places yet.

@smitty34877 So sorry to hear that Tana has pneumonia again; prayers that the antibiotics take care of it.

@ger_77 I hope DH has a better night tonight.

Prayers for the Care list, the people of Ukraine and those selflessly helping (like World Central Kitchen). Cheers for the Celebration List.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, summer slope said:

My pressure cooker is electric.  I remember my Grandmother's stove top one.  The top blew off and put a hole in the ceiling.  Scared us all.  LOL

You're all scaring me!  I've been canning for decades with good stove top canners (NOT the same one all that time lol).  Never, ever had a problem.  The top locks into place, how on earth would the top blow off (I've heard many stories about that.  Maybe different from the locking one I have?)  Now I'm scared to can anymore...this is what I have.  https://www.gopresto.com/product/presto-16-quart-pressure-canner-01755 

• Like 15

Back in the early days of our marriage, friends called us one evening around 5:30 and asked what we were having for dinner.  I told them (can't recall what it was), then they asked if they could come over and join us.  I asked why, and was told that while making spaghetti sauce, their pressure cooker blew up, tossing the lid right through the ceiling into the attic, and scattering spaghetti sauce all over the place.  Fortunately, both were downstairs sorting laundry at the time, or one or both could have been seriously burned or injured by metal.   They came over, we had dinner, then the 4 of us went back and together, cleaned up the mess.  I wish now I had taken photos, because it looked like something out of a horror movie.  If that happened today, the first thing I'd think of is  picking up the phone and saying "Hello, State Farm?"  LOL

@Cruising-alongdon't worry, I'm sure yours is fine, the pressure cooker was one the groom's mother had had for years, and I'm sure there was something wrong with it.  On another matter, if it was me, I'd take something over to the Ukrainian family with a note telling them that you care, but that's just me.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Haha 3

Good afternoon.  I'm not sure how I managed, but the house was cleaned in record time.  I am now catching up on the Daily.

Caregivers deserve our support and help every day.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone could be happy everyday?  Our cats and dogs got into enough mischief  without thumbs.  😉 

I love the Mother Teresa quote.  She was a very wise woman.

We'll pass on the meal since I am trying to get rid of things in the freezer and refrigerator.  Tonight, it will be hamburgers and cole slaw.  The drink sounds nice, but please give me a regular mojito.  We've had the wine on several BHBs and liked it.  

@JAM37  Julia,  🎈 HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎉 to your daughters.

@msmayor  Connie, hope the baby makes an appearance soon.

@marshhawk  Ann I hope you find what you are seeking from your meeting, and congratulations on your long sobriety.  You make a difference on the Daily with your presence, and your memes brighten out day.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope you get to see Jose without having to jump through more hoops.  BTW, I think someone borrowed my life for a couple of the memes.  🤣  When I give DH directions, he will often ask if it is right or the "other right".  And the list of things I'm good doing is me to a T.

@cunnorl  I hope your friend's surgery went well.  That sounds like a nasty break.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm sorry Jen is having such a difficult recovery.  She has been through so much, and I hope they can find the answers to her problems soon.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope everything that is going to act up has done so, and life settles down to normal.

@smitty34877  Terry, how awful that Tana has pneumonia again.  I hope the antibiotics work quickly to clear it up.  Your DD was very nice to get the neighbor a gift card.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm glad you are feeling better today. 

@Cruising-along  Add me to the list of those thinking any gesture no matter how large or small would be appreciated by your Ukrainian neighbors.

The early pressure cookers were tricky to use, and as has been mentioned, would blow their tops.  My mother refused to have one in the house, and after hearing her horror stories, I did not get one until 20-25 years ago.  The modern stovetop pressure cookers are much safer, and have better locking mechanisms and pressure relief valves.  However, now I'm pleased with my Instant Pot as a pressure cooker.  It regulates the pressure so much better; so I don't have to keep checking it.

My heart goes out to all Ukrainians, and I wish this situation could be solved quickly with no more loss of life.  

Now, it's time to go wash the car, and see if it needs waxing.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@Cruising-alongdon't worry, I'm sure yours is fine, the pressure cooker was one the groom's mother had had for years, and I'm sure there was something wrong with it.  On another matter, if it was me, I'd take something over to the Ukrainian family with a note telling them that you care, but that's just me.

Thanks, Gerry.  I do know we're supposed to check the pressure cooker each time we use it, to make sure nothing has come loose, etc.  

As a matter of fact, I just spoke with the young Mom a few minutes ago!  I was coming home after getting my hair cut and saw her out with the baby.  So I pulled up and talked to her for a few minutes, letting her know how much we care and are thinking about them.  She was very, very appreciative, and teared up.  She did say her brother is "up north, close to Poland", and it's quiet there.  He's ok for now, but of course she's very worried.  I'm so glad I saw her and could let her know we care.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon! We spent the morning traipsing through our property looking for survey stakes. It’s 26 acres of mostly wooded and hilly terrain so it was quite challenging. Ended up dehydrated and blistered. I wore some of my military boots for better traction and even after all these years, they are still not comfortable. We did see some beautiful sights and found all but one stake. This was an interesting rock formation with a peaceful babbling brook underneath. 

Love the days and the memes. Wine sounds good too. I relaxed after the hike with a nice Harvey Wallbanger 😉

92B12C34-B49F-4993-BB9E-D7FCA73C4155.jpeg

• Like 21

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

My pressure cooker is electric.  I remember my Grandmother's stove top one.  The top blew off and put a hole in the ceiling.  Scared us all.  LOL

and I would so love to get a pressure cooker but am still afraid of even the new ones.  

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

and I would so love to get a pressure cooker but am still afraid of even the new ones.  

The only catastrophe I recall from years of using the regular canning style ones, is the seal sealed so well that after time was up, we could not get it open. Nothing we did worked, so the company (Mirro) asked us to send it to them. They were surprised as well! We got a new canner but they didn’t send me back the jars I had just canned in it. That was a whole week’s worth of food for us! 

I still have the canning style (with the jiggly thing on top that regulates steam) and a new InstaPot. Both have safety features so that the pressure doesn’t build up so badly that you end up with the lid in the attic and food all over 😜

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, marshhawk said:

cat_meme.jpg

Good Morning!  Cats with thumbs, well mine would open all the cat food cans, sniff and then go open another one.  I also imagine the two girls trying to hitchhike to the coast.  

Yesterday was so nice I opened the front windows, and two of the male cats each got in one, and the third stayed in his cat nest ,  over seeing the other two-so cute.  Today is supposed to be even warmer.

I know that we say that if March came in like a lion, it would leave as a lamb, but if March comes in as a lamb, will it leave as a lion?  In the south, I would rather have a day of snow than a week of tornados.

I really liked the quote.  It seems that i have been suffering from judging too much and not loving my fellow humans enough.  When we had to isolate  during the first year of covid, I found that I actually liked being at home.  I watched Springwatch on Britbox, and I started feeding the birds.  I now have 8 feeders.  My job each day was to put the food out, make sure that there was water in the bird bath, and watering plants.  And humans were the last thing I wanted to be around.    The more I isolated, the more I enjoyed it, and this really isn't the way that humans should be.  We need each other, we need to share our thoughts and feelings, even if its just to make ourselves feel better.

The phrase of Namaste means seeing the God in you.  I find that at the Daily, but was afraid that I didn't want to find it face to face with other people.  It would make me work on improving me.  Well, I think it's time that I started with some self searching, and am going to try being out in the world more, even if it's just once a week.

I've been sober for a little over 31 years, but stopped going to meetings about 20 years ago, and today I am going to go back.  I don't really have any secret on sobriety, I haven't done wonderful things, saved the world, furthered my education, I just need to try to be around people again.  In real time.  So wish me luck today. 

f59b5cc4cc32d2acebd60b17ab9780ce.jpg

Congratulations on your long term sobriety.  i think it is a good idea to be around people and I hope the meeting goes well today.  you are in my prayers.

Terri

• Like 16

10 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Today is my twin daughters' 25th birthday. We will be celebrating at a local Japanese restaurant.

A very happy birthday to your daughters 🙂 

DE56EEB0-8944-458B-AF59-31F05EFB25CC.jpeg.f4f533bc8be9f3738a08216230501b10.jpeg

10 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I pray that he starts to improve and may return home in the near future.

Stay strong.

Thanks Terri.  I’m afraid it is going to take a miracle for Jose to be able to come home 😢 I am praying for one but I fear that it won’t happen.  I was excited when he was reading the paper the other day but he was very disorientated today with his move and it took a long time to settle him down as best I could.

9 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I know that we say that if March came in like a lion, it would leave as a lamb, but if March comes in as a lamb, will it leave as a lion? 

That’s how the saying goes.  I’m sure hoping it is true for us as March has been a lion for us so far.  Snow storm, another one today, and a mini blizzard tonight.  Sheesh.  Hopefully it stops and things are cleared enough for me for tomorrow.

I wouldn’t have gone today with the weather but I knew it was a must.  I took a lot longer but I got there safely.

9 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good for you 👍 I hope you enjoyed your meeting with other people and I am positive you were an inspiration to others.!

9 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Thankfully my dermatologist froze off the growth on my poor nose which has had about 4 surgeries for cancer. This one was pre cancer and I was grateful for that.

Great news, Carol 👍. It’s about time something good happened to you ♥️ 

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I'm feeling somewhat better today. My blood pressure seems more like its usual. I think part of my headaches may be my glasses; I didn't use them today until now, but that can cause eye strain as well. I will check with the eye doctor in a couple of weeks about having developed a posterior capsule film after my cataract surgery, before getting a new refraction for glasses. Also trying not to clench my jaw.

Good news that you are starting to feel better 👍. Definitely check on your eyes.  DH needed a new prescription after his cataract surgery.  Hope the eye doctor can help 🤞 

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I just spoke with the young Mom a few minutes ago!  I was coming home after getting my hair cut and saw her out with the baby.  So I pulled up and talked to her for a few minutes, letting her know how much we care and are thinking about them.  She was very, very appreciative, and teared up.  She did say her brother is "up north, close to Poland", and it's quiet there.  He's ok for now, but of course she's very worried.  I'm so glad I saw her and could let her know we care.

Oh that is wonderful you could connect.  How kind of you to show them your caring at this difficult, painful time for them ♥️ 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Get an instant pot. I have had the old type with the dancing pressure valve, used it for pop corn because it was a heavy pot.I’ve had a newer stovetop version with a better locking mechanism and only used it a few times.it is my new popcorn pot. I do love my instant pot. I feel safe using it and it can do so many things. lol this will never be a popcorn pot because it is electric.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

My parents were older when I was born  and DH and I were their caretakers  at the end as my brothers left NY years before. Our children were teenagers and they often helped quite a bit. I learned then to give myself time to breathe  as it was very stressful.

Hi @smitty34877, I get what you are saying. As a caretaker for my parents when they were ill was hard and difficult to care for them. My siblings, IMHO did not step up to help out. Not sure what the reason was but ok.

It is very stressful to take care of a loved one for a long period of time so prayers for all who chose to do their own care.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Even though I'm tired, I'm glad I didn't wait until tomorrow to wash and wax the car.  So far this month, the weather has been like a lamb, but unfortunately the lion is on it's way.  Our highs will drop overnight by about 20 degrees F, and our nice breeze will be up to 15 mph tomorrow and 24 mph Saturday.  I hope Sunday's forecast of 8 mph holds when we drive to San Diego.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thanks, Gerry.  I do know we're supposed to check the pressure cooker each time we use it, to make sure nothing has come loose, etc.  

As a matter of fact, I just spoke with the young Mom a few minutes ago!  I was coming home after getting my hair cut and saw her out with the baby.  So I pulled up and talked to her for a few minutes, letting her know how much we care and are thinking about them.  She was very, very appreciative, and teared up.  She did say her brother is "up north, close to Poland", and it's quiet there.  He's ok for now, but of course she's very worried.  I'm so glad I saw her and could let her know we care.

That is good news that you had a chance to visit with your neighbor.  I'm sure she was grateful to know people care.  Hope her brother stays safe.

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I was afraid of pressure cookers until I got my stovetop pressure cooker.  It was well built and never gave me any problems.  A few years ago, DH gave me an Instant Pot and it worked even better.  Last year, I upgraded to a newer model which is even easier to use.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1