Alaska Cruise Season and New England Cadiana Cruises seem to be a GO!

Jim_Iain

Just now, bama4cruisin said:

I realize the cruise I am referring to was almost 5 months ago, but here goes.  On the Apex TA from Barcelona with approximately 1200 passengers and 1100 crew; ALL passengers tested at the port during check-in.  We were ALL tested again on Day 5 before we reached the Canary Islands.  EVERYONE was tested the day before arriving in Ft. Lauderdale as that was a US requirement since arriving from Europe.  Approximately 2300 people tested; announced mid-afternoon in a rare announcement heard throughout the ship including staterooms that everyone tested negative.  

Is the onboard testing an expense to the cruise line?  Sure.  is it doable?  Yes.

Good to know.  Renewed my hope for my cruises!

• Like 1

I am thinking *if* a test is needed before disembarking, I am hoping X they may treat it in a similar fashion as they do in Mexico. We stayed at 2 different resorts last year that provided testing for your return trip. It was actually very easy! They have a testing center space with 5-6 techs & you had a reservation to go get swabbed. They were able to run tests & get results in 10 minutes. They were able to get 1000+ guests done a day. It may need to be a bigger version of this, but is doable! 

15 minutes ago, RichYak said:

For all those who say that the US CDC hates the cruise industry, Canada's response is, "Hold my beer, eh?" After reading the guidance again, to me this is basically Canada saying "we don't want cruise ships here" without actually saying it. I hope I'm wrong.

Canada has 90% of its population fully vaccinated, this guidance is more / less in line with the country’s due diligence.  As stated in the guidance, “the ability to welcome cruise ships back to our waters is possible because Canadians have stepped up, rolled up their sleeves, gotten vaccinated, and followed public health measures”.   I see no reason why they should back off by the high bar that they’ve set.

HAL has already published a news release that they are on board to cruise in Canada complying with the guidance.

My Alaska cruise is a GO (with HAL) and all I had to do was revise my Antigen test appointment (at the airport travel clinic) from 2 days prior to embarkation (HAL requirement) to 1 day prior to embarkation (Gov’t of Canada Guidance).  That’s a relatively *minor* inconvenience from a personal standpoint.   The tricker part, testing prior to arriving back in Canada is on HAL and they’ve been doing plenty of testing already for the Hawaiian itineraries.

All is well.  Cruising will resume in Canadian waters.   Smooth Sailing to All.

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

I realize the cruise I am referring to was almost 5 months ago, but here goes.  On the Apex TA...

I'm not trying to be a downer, but Apex needed to be repositioned regardless of the cost. The fact that they tested everyone prior to Canary Islands instead of skipping it is a good sign. I wasn't aware of that. My only reference is San Juan stops being skipped in favor of anywhere else in order to avoid the testing. We shall see.

50 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

Bad news for me. I have a Pacific coastal cruise in May, Alaska in July and Hawaii in September. All are beginning or ending in Canada. I was hoping test would not be needed and proof of vaccination would be enough. 

For those flying into Vancouver (Alaska / Hawaii / Pacific Coastal) and need any tests prior to embarkation, we found a clinic at YVR which was easy peasy to book and reasonably priced:
https://covid-medical.ca/#covidtestpricing

Disembark plane, go to clinic (US Departures Area, close to Arrivals) - receive test - go to cruise and enjoy ☺️

Trickier part is disembarkation which the cruise line is anchored to and since the onus is on them, nothing to worry about.   It’s actually a good thing, as the cruise line will have to test you before disembarkation and that gives you a free test to get to your home destination.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

For those flying into Vancouver (Alaska / Hawaii / Pacific Coastal) and need any tests prior to embarkation, we found a clinic at YVR which was easy peasy to book and reasonably priced

This would apply to Canadians flying into Vancouver. Coming from any other country you have to test before you fly. For those passengers coming from outside of Canada and spending time in Vancouver a second test would then be required.

3 hours ago, Gia2cats said:

I’m trying to be positive about this. We have a 3 day land tour prior to embarking on the Millenium in Seward. We disembark in Vancouver. Will Celebrity be willing to test everyone on the ship before we arrive in Vancouver? We would also have to be tested during the land. Would love to get the thoughts of experienced cruisers. We just booked a bunch of excursions yesterday.

Not sure why you would need to test to take a tour in Alaska.  Celebrity according to the rules would need to test everyone on board before they could disembark.  Exactly the same for those arriving by land or air .  Nothing else works.  Again it is still some months before your cruise and the rules will likely change again.

1 hour ago, maggie.1008 said:

Bad news for me. I have a Pacific coastal cruise in May, Alaska in July and Hawaii in September. All are beginning or ending in Canada. I was hoping test would not be needed and proof of vaccination would be enough. 

If your coastal ends in Vancouver then Celebrity will need to test you.  Nothing else needed if you fly immediately back to the US.  The others would be a test to fly to Canada and a test on board to disembark in Hawaii.

May is 2 months away.   September 6.  Lots will change.

2 hours ago, dgoz said:

So if I cruise round trip to Seattle with that 5 hour stop in Victoria BC, do I need to do a Covid test before my return flight home?

You need a test to get off the ship in Victoria.   Think you need to give it a few days for the US and Canada to sort it out 

2 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

She put me on hold and came back to tell me that Celebrity would test me at Vancouver, at my expense, $55 for the antigen test. 

This could be a deal breaker if it is the case. Will wait for confirmation on this.

That 24 hours for a rapid antigen test before arriving at a Canadian port several days after embarking in the US could work with the video-monitored self-tests IF Celebrity's wifi could handle the load of all the pax doing so! 

Northbound one-way cruises to Alaska should not be as problematic as those headed south. The last opportunity to be tested on land is more than 24 hours from Canada's requirements, unless a PCR test could be taken in Ketchikan, for example, with results texted or emailed.

We are picking up friends disembarking the Millennium on 9/16. We are flying into YVR on 9/9 so will be tested here, but we leave Vancouver for a week in Washington state before crossing the border back into Canada, which means another test for us in the US within Canada's timeline.

Seems as if the last two years: "It's always something!"  to quote RosannaDanna!

Congress needs to take action on the Murkowski bill to permanently waive the Canadian port stop required for Alaska cruises departing Seattle.

This ruling from Canada does not make for an enjoyable or relaxing cruise IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not sure why you would need to test to take a tour in Alaska.  Celebrity according to the rules would need to test everyone on board before they could disembark.  Exactly the same for those arriving by land or air .  Nothing else works.  Again it is still some months before your cruise and the rules will likely change again.

We don’t need to test to take a tour in Alaska. But we would need to test before boarding the ship in Seward.  We will be on the land tour for more than 72 hours so can’t test before leaving home.

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

So we have gone from testing three days in advance of the cruise to one day in advance of the cruise, by order of Canada...

Three days if PCR, one day if antigen.

• Like 1

We are doing Alaska out of Vancouver at the very end of May on Millie.  Flying in the night before.  It looks like we can take our test the morning we are to leave home, so it will be the same day we arrive in Canada and use one of the eMed tests, and it will also be fine to board the ship.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travlr21 said:

This would apply to Canadians flying into Vancouver. Coming from any other country you have to test before you fly. For those passengers coming from outside of Canada and spending time in Vancouver a second test would then be required.

Yes, that’s true.  But those from outside of Canada could take the PCR test (72 hours prior) and it would satisfy both entry into Canada and embarkation on the Cruise ship.

Antigen is 1 day prior - which would suit Canadians.

• Like 1

Good news to hear about cruises to and from Vancouver BUT no directions as to what are we going to do about the covid protocol for us taking a land/cruise vacation .What is going to be the protocol for the land portoin? We got an land first then the cruise starting then ending in Vancouver,Going into the interior of the Yukon for a few days ending in Whitter to get on the ship!! Anyone have any ideas as to what might happen with that?

31 minutes ago, Harrylinden said:

Good news to hear about cruises to and from Vancouver BUT no directions as to what are we going to do about the covid protocol for us taking a land/cruise vacation .What is going to be the protocol for the land portoin? We got an land first then the cruise starting then ending in Vancouver,Going into the interior of the Yukon for a few days ending in Whitter to get on the ship!! Anyone have any ideas as to what might happen with that?

We also have a pre-cruise land tour, embarking in Seward and ending in Vancouver. I have a feeling that Celebrity will ensure that we can get tested print to boarding the ship. And according to my travel agent, Celebrity will test us before we disembark in Vancouver.

• Like 1

This quote from the CLIA today suggests they are already pushing back:

"...CLIA will continue to engage with Transport Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada and regional agencies to review protocols as the public health situation evolves."

Bottom line for me after giving some thought, I think the cruise lines are in a tenuous enough financial position that they're just going to have to suck it up and play by Canada's rules. They'll just pass on the higher cost to us.

I make final payment with our FCC the end of last month for our 3 June 2022 sailing on Millie out of Seward. Seems like we will be able to do a Antigen test at our home the morning of the 1st before our flight. If we all have to bring our own Covid tests to test on board that could be a disaster. But we do have a sea day (inside passage) June 9th. I remember sailing on Millie in Asia when on a sea day we all had meet with Chinese customs and also do a temperature scan. The link below has more info on testing. I believe it was revised Feb 28. I'm hoping for one more revision before our sailing.

This cruise is for our friends that live in England. We are celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary 2 years late because of Covid. I'm wanting to check out the updated Retreat and spend time with friends.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

Edited by bigbenboys
spelling
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I remember sailing on Millie in Asia when on a sea day we all had meet with Chinese customs and also do a temperature scan.

Although unrelated to COVID, I remember having to meet with Israeli Customs prior to our visit at the first port of call in Israel.   It was well organized and everyone had their time slot.   IF testing is done on board the day prior to disembarkation (which is likely the inside passage for Alaskan cruises returning to Vancouver); it would work the similar way.  You get a time slot, get your rapid Antigen test done.  Any positives would be reported for further action, if required.

It's doable.

From this message thread, I have read from hot to cold on the guidance.   That is, those who don't feel it's going to be a problem, those that think it might be - but not too concerned and will cruise anyways, and those put off by the guidance and will cancel.

Cruise lines will bank with the not bothered too much or not bothered at all.   Cruises in Canada will resume, people will book and sail, life will go on.

Smooth Sailing to all that do venture aboard and hope you enjoy your visits in Canada.  Vancouver, Quebec City, Halifax - all beautiful Canadian Cities.  Enjoy!   Stay Safe, Be Kind to one another.

Edited by hvbaskey