Any news if RC extending/dropping pre-cruise testing in the near future?

After several cancelled cruises, we are hopefully sailing on Enchantment 25 March. I noticed Carnival extended pre-cruise testing to a three day window for the boosted. Any news about RC doing the same?

I have not  ordered my emed online tests yet, and will do so soon. I rarely use my smart phone for anything, and my internet is not really fast, although I have video conferenced on my desktop. I am quite nervous about doing the at home test. I do not have a tripod for the phone, so I am concerned the rep will not be able to see me, and I don't really know how to scan.

Our local CVS will likely not have results back in time. As a last resort, does Baltimore have testing at the port? I haven't been able to see anything about it, and one would need an appointment.  I certainly don't want to drive several hours to the port and be turned away.

13 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

Our local CVS will likely not have results back in time. 

For the antigen test, I've had my results anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour.  And that was when there was a very high demand for testing.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How many passengers couldn't board the ship because they failed their COVID test? (RC knows this number.) What if they had allowed all those people onto the ship anyway?

A cruise ship with a high number of COVID cases spreading onboard would be a public relations nightmare for Royal Caribbean and the cruise industry. They have been able to avoid that scenario by strictly following their current protocols. 

I know that getting tested is a pain in the butt, but it's nice to know that the people on the ship sitting near me in the restaurants, bars, and shows have all tested negative. And it's nice to know that the cruise won't be cut short because the virus is quickly spreading on the ship.

Testing isn't 100% effective, there are people in the early stages of infection who test negative, but it catches the vast majority of cases and makes cruising possible. 

I would think the same for the vaccination requirement - nothing good can happen for RC by allowing more unvaccinated people on board. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

The rapid test is acceptable with results typically within 2 hours.  CVS offers them, but not at all locations.  Check several around you and you should be able to find one offering them.  You can make a date and time reservation around 3 weeks in advance, so I would be looking now.  We have used them on our recent October and December cruises.

1 hour ago, joyandjerry said:

I have video conferenced on my desktop. I am quite nervous about doing the at home test.

If you have video and voice on your desktop, use that for the home proctored test. No reason to use a phone. I use my laptop, not my phone for mine. You don't even need the Navica app, just go to there website and make an account, that is all you need. Testing via laptop/desktop is through the emed site, not the navica app. Results are e-mailed to you in a printable PDF, the printed copy is fine for boarding (some would say preferred).

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You can make a date and time reservation around 3 weeks in advance, so I would be looking now.  We have used them on our recent October and December cruises.

Two weeks for CVS.  And demand is way down now.  I can actually schedule a test for later today.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Enjoy your cruise!  We would like to join you one day!  

Thanks. This B2B on the Explorer will be our first cruise since September 2019.

Our next cruise is September with Celebrity/Summit. 12 night New England/Canada cruise. RT Boston. September 2019 we did this cruise but it was out of Bayonne and it was for 14 nights. This year is shortened. Bummer. I'm sure it will be just a nice. 

Edited by davekathy

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The rapid test is acceptable with results typically within 2 hours.  CVS offers them, but not at all locations.  Check several around you and you should be able to find one offering them.  You can make a date and time reservation around 3 weeks in advance, so I would be looking now.  We have used them on our recent October and December cruises.

I have used CVS for all 3 our cruises since the restart without problem.  I got results back each time within an hour.

6 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Two weeks for CVS.  And demand is way down now.  I can actually schedule a test for later today.

I had a friend in phoenix who scheduled and took his test same day  at CVS last Saturday for Monday embarkation. As you said, demand is way way down.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I have used CVS for all 3 our cruises since the restart without problem.  I got results back each time within an hour.

Now you have to check another reason to get tested. Cvs took away the travel box. I said I was somewhere I was unable to social distance lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I had a friend in phoenix who scheduled and took his test same day  at CVS last Saturday for Monday embarkation. As you said, demand is way way down.  

That's what makes me nervous.  That the day will come when demand is down and they stop testing and the cruise lines will still be requiring a test.  I know people will say buy the at home kit.  

Edited by molly361
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Same with our local Walgreens. Lot of slots open today thru the 15th.

I also agree with @molly361

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Testing isn't 100% effective, there are people in the early stages of infection who test negative, but it catches the vast majority of cases and makes cruising possible. 

I was testing negative for four days from when I had exposure to someone (who subsequently tested positive ) to when I tested positive. I was testing every day . 

10 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I was testing negative for four days from when I had exposure to someone (who subsequently tested positive ) to when I tested positive. I was testing every day . 

My daughter tested negative multiple times on two different brands of antigen tests even though she was symptomatic and tested positive on PCR. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Now you have to check another reason to get tested. Cvs took away the travel box. I said I was somewhere I was unable to social distance lol. 

Yeah I checked the first box last time.  Can't remember what it said but seemed closest to being an accurate assessment.

18 minutes ago, molly361 said:

That's what makes me nervous.  That the day will come when demand is down and they stop testing and the cruise lines will still be requiring a test.  I know people will say buy the at home kit.  

I have 3 of those at home tests that I bought as back up for my Liberty cruise in Dec.  I didn't use them then or for my cruise on Odyssey last month.  Their expiry date is some time in Nov. so they will good for my cruise in August out of Seattle if I need them. I have another scheduled in Oct as well.  I'll just hold onto them as long as possible as back up and keep using CVS as long as is possible.  CVS has been super easy and convenient.  

• Like 1

Our county has free test sites  around our area They ask for a reason when tested, but when the results come back, the list only seems only significant if it is work or school related, 

32 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Thanks. This B2B on the Explorer will be our first cruise since September 2019.

Our next cruise is September with Celebrity/Summit. 12 night New England/Canada cruise. RT Boston. September 2019 we did this cruise but it was out of Bayonne and it was for 14 nights. This year is shortened. Bummer. I'm sure it will be just a nice. 

I actually saw that itinerary - most staterooms are closed, but that may change.  My wife retires from teaching in August, so our available cruising times will open up considerably.  It would be nice to join you guys one day.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

45 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We use CVS  ( can make appoints well in advance) or Walgreens ( harder to get appointments) but keep a set of proctored tests on hand. We had CVS cancel us the night before the tests, 2 days before the cruise.  

Generally we have no issues, but there was that one time......  Kinda of like having lost luggage.  Now we cross pack. 

Oh - test results in about an hour or so. 

M