The Daily for Thursday 03/10/2022

richwmn

Today is International Day of Awesomeness, Salvation Army Day, and Middle Name Pride Day

Everything you can imagine is real.--Pablo Picasso

Meal Suggestion for today - Papadum
Drink of the Day - Chocolate Covered Cherry
Wine of the Day - Arenberg 2017 The Stump Jump Grenache-Shiraz-Mourv
Destination of the Day - St Johns, Newfoundland, Canada

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Port Everglades eta 3/12
Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Half Moon Cay, BS eta 3/11
Nieuw Statendam   Destination Kralendijk Bonaire eta 3/11

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 17:00

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Rotterdam  

Puerto Vallarta, MX

Koningsdam  

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard
Zaandam   Shipyard

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam   Drifting

0310Caribbean.thumb.png.4726a4e36c5f49ec271c08a94956ee12.png

0310World.thumb.png.17c902a36319cecf8896cad5ac06f020.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 12

Good afternoon.

65°F and sunny here.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Our church supports our local Salvation army.

Awesomeness should be for us all especially for cruising.

The quote seems typical picasso.

Prayers 🙏 for all our friends on here who need them.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

IMG_20220310_095431.jpg

IMG_20220310_103914.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Yes!  We are all Awesome! 😃  A big thank you to the Salvation Army.  My middle name is Ann, same as my mom.

Interesting quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good.  Hope the drink and wine are too.

We have not been to St John's, but plan on getting there someday. 

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 32

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute the Salvation Army and Awesomeness.  My middle name comes from my father.  Interesting quote from Picasso.  I've been to St. Johns on a land trip but not yet by sea.  I think I was scheduled there in fall 2020 on the Zuiderdam but we know what happened there.  Never heard of Papadum.

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine
StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall and insurance  complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall
Strength for Jacqui as Jose continues to decline, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
Ancient Wanderer DD and DGD with Covid
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
Mr Boston with mild covid
Dfish excessive wait for spine followup
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rotterdam in Everglades

rdampost4.thumb.JPG.87f9aeb3305b660fbe9da20c04ba4f42.JPG

Discovery of Endurance
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
2 days for Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19)
2 days for DeeniEncinitas (Ruby Princess to 3/27)
3 days for GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20)
6 days for Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Niew Statendam 3/16 to 4/ 6)
Aliaschief and Dwaliaschier (Azamara Quest to 3/17), kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam t 3/16), Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
 DeeniEncinitas ashore briefly with great balcony
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 10

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days.  I will try to be more awesome to others and salute the Salvation Army for all of their good works.  I’ll pass on the Middle Name Pride Day.  I hate my middle name.  Thankfully because my name is so long, it was suggested it be removed from my passport and a lot of ID.  I happily complied 😉 

9189A8CE-A3A9-49B6-804C-B5F904456C33.jpeg.c1e65b7c2a341f4ff618e6d33a5ef0b0.jpeg

Love the Picasso quote - so very typical of him 👍 I’ll have to wait for Debbie’s recipes to make a decision on the meal for today.  We were finally going to St. John’s when covid hit.  Definitely on my bucket list.  Newfoundlanders are such great people with a big sense of humour and indomitable spirit.

8D198C61-1AB8-450A-8050-F53AA77BF246.jpeg.8c6875e97bd499e7862b9fa42c307e9b.jpeg

Since it’s income tax time - just a reminder to make sure all your deductions are legitimate 😉 

2752CF44-6092-4068-9933-A1DDBF454ADC.jpeg.7cfc61da0bb8bbf78c6c72e566b28686.jpeg

No call from Social Services yesterday.  I called 15 minutes after the allotted time and no call back 😠 A tad grumpy yesterday.

3E8A8C58-4847-4C9F-B4F1-E147325DF344.thumb.jpeg.697bb5fb2e7258364112b21d72085a4b.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & Ukraine and for those that need them & a🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list!

Have a great Thursday, everyone !!!!!

BFBE0CAC-7AC7-4A2A-888F-7E4AC19F96FB.jpeg.51055c48869ba8a4a7ec1fd5706188ab.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when they are needed.

8CE4410D-0F59-47E6-A4B3-4B53F2C905CC.thumb.jpeg.c69fd33e4953c004fcc406a3d6ecbf1a.jpeg

• Like 41
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone!

Awesomeness Day!  Wow, a day for the contributors of the Daily.  Because all of  you are awesome!

It looks like today will be a nice day and we'll get some sunshine and blue skies.  Temps in the upper 40s.  Just a tease before the snowstorm comes through Friday night into Saturday.  But, let's not dwell on that and just enjoy today.   I'm heading to the pool this morning and then meeting friends for lunch.  Sister Zoom tonight.   That is a habit that we started during the early days of the pandemic and has survived.   Every Thursday night we get together and chat.  

Today's meal is a cracker that can be used much like chips and salsa.  It can be used with dips and chutneys.   f you aren’t familiar with papadums, also known as poppadoms or papad, they’re a delicious, crispy, chip-like flatbread with origins in India. They’re generally made from urad flour (also sometimes referred to as black gram flour) and can be cooked in a number of ways. Some people prefer frying them, others cook them over an open flame, and yet others choose the microwave!

Urad flour can be difficult to find, so some recipes use chickpea flour and some call for lentil flour.  You can find chickpea flour in the store.  Lentil flour can be made by grinding lentils in a spice grinder.  

This first recipe uses the urad flour.   https://thethingswellmake.com/homemade-papadums-from-scratch/

637693777_papadum1.thumb.jpg.e56b711f09ba7261e4cdce5baac22a49.jpg

This one uses a chickpea flour.   https://foodcrumbles.com/how-papadums-papads-work-and-are-made/

853450085_papadum2.thumb.jpg.07d57bebe8b029fcc7ede344b5571148.jpg

849097420_papdum3.thumb.jpg.0b960508fa731ea3cb7642fce7111c49.jpg

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 7

Today's alternate menu suggestion is from March 10, 2019 the day of the Prinsendam's arrival in Manaus.  I had booked a performance at the Manaus Opera house during the dinner hour so it was a split meal, salad from the lido and a Dive-In burger before the performance and Strawberry Ice Cream from the ice cream bar after returning to the shipL

dishes10.jpg

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Laid back day today.  Going to clean out the master closet.  LOTS of clothes that I'm sure won't fit anymore.  Interesting group of days.  Will use the Salvation Army store for my drop off of clothes.  Middle name pride day....that's a new one on me.  Not sure what the meal is, will wait for Debbie's description. 

Prayers for all of us and toasts where needed.

Please continue to stay safe!!

Chocolate Covered Cherry:

1 cup ice cubes
1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger chocolate vodka
1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger cherry vodka
½ fluid ounce grenadine syrup
1 fluid ounce creme de cacao
1 fluid ounce half-and-half
1 dash chocolate syrup
1 maraschino cherry
1 chocolate kiss candy

Directions
Step 1 Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Pour in chocolate and cherry vodkas, grenadine, creme de cacao, half-and-half, and chocolate syrup. Cover and shake until the outside of the shaker has frosted. Strain into a chilled martini glass, garnish with maraschino cherry and chocolate kiss, and serve.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.36.33 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Good morning all you awesome Dailyites!  Thank-you for today’s report and lists.  Thanks to the Salvation Army for their good works.  My middle name is my father’s first name, Gerald. I’ll wait for the recipe on today’s meal, the drink sounds tasty, and sweet.  I haven’t been to today’s port but would like to visit in the near future. Prayers for all on our list and the Ukraine.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 27

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Finally a day that celebrates the Daily and all Dailyites! Awesomeness!

It rained quite a bit yesterday evening, last night and this morning! But Bindi put up with this morning’s gentle showers to take care of business. Heading off to the gym early. May get the call to help packing later, but the tedious stuff is DONE!

More random smiles….

65C293D8-BF04-4885-84B8-E55583BC4C40.jpeg.b9d430d6022e94a00ad73f44dbe078f8.jpeg

35AC453A-461C-4FE5-B039-8FCAA36F1036.jpeg.6a0df44964cf12910616326fc16740de.jpeg

44095A18-0482-4A9D-8E07-A861CD5F9805.jpeg.86b4b6f400f9e5db6cce68dbc53e2539.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Arenberg 2017 The Stump Jump GSM

This Australian red blend sounds amazing. Excellent critic and consumer reviews, with an amazing price. Several online distributors with prices starting at $8.98! Another one for my list.

Winemaker Notes

This wine screams value. A rich ruby red appearance with a fragrant nose of raspberry, a hint of dark cherry and spice. Silky texture on the palate, but with a juicy fruit core that shows plum, red berries, and a savory finish. There are lovely soft tannins and some slight acidity. The fruit weight and silkyness means this wine can be enjoyed now, but it will keep developing over time.

Blend: 46% Grenache, 42% Shiraz, 12% Mourvedre

WE91 Wine Enthusiast

Ripe, fleshy blueberries and raspberries drive this red blend without too much oak getting in the way. There's an underbelly of flowers, cinnamon and peppery spice. The tannins are typically muscular, while the fruit is juicy, silky and fresh. Best Buys

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Good Morning from an overcast and going to be rainy day at the beach

We need the rain but yikes did it come down yesterday! Got to the golf course and that was it. Today is set up day for the tournament tomorrow.  Well for the dinner anyway. Today rainy, tomorrow is suppose to be OK. We will hope. 

Awesomeness Day. now that is great. The Salvation Army is one that we support. My Dad used to tell us if there was ever a deserving charity, it was the Salvation Army. During the war, they were always there with coffee and doughnuts and no fanfare.

Have not been to todays port, looking forward to pictures.

Prayers for everyone on the list and an extra prayer for all my Awesome Friends on the Daily!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 31

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute the Salvation Army and Awesomeness.  My middle name comes from my father.  Interesting quote from Picasso.  I've been to St. Johns on a land trip but not yet by sea.  I think I was scheduled there in fall 2020 on the Zuiderdam but we know what happened there.  Never heard of Papadum.

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine
StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall and insurance  complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall
Strength for Jacqui as Jose continues to decline, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
Ancient Wanderer DD and DGD with Covid
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
Mr Boston with mild covid
Dfish excessive wait for spine followup
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rotterdam in Everglades

rdampost4.thumb.JPG.87f9aeb3305b660fbe9da20c04ba4f42.JPG

Discovery of Endurance
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
2 days for Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19)
2 days for DeeniEncinitas (Ruby Princess to 3/27)
3 days for GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20)
6 days for Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Niew Statendam 3/16 to 4/ 6)
Aliaschief and Dwaliaschier (Azamara Quest to 3/17), kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam t 3/16), Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
 DeeniEncinitas ashore briefly with great balcony
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 17

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I think Awesomeness really applies to everyone of you Daily-ites.   We support the Salvation Army with donations of clothing and household goods throughout the year, and then with a financial donation to their Christmas Kettle program.  As much as I didn't care for my first name, I loved my middle name because I was named after my Aunt Katie (Katherine).  She was a feisty woman with red hair who could always make people laugh and feel comfortable.

We're cold again, -20C with a strong wind, but apparently nothing compared to the winds that are expected later today.  We're currently under a "Blowing Snow Advisory" for the day and although it's early, people are already being warned to stay off the highways unless travel is absolutely necessary.  You won't see us heading out anywhere!

I haven't been to St. John's (DH has been there for a conference), but last night we were watching TV when another of the beautiful ads came on advertising Newfoundland an Labrador.  Both DH and I agree, we'd love to visit some day, as it looks like such a great place.   Another bucket list location.

Although DH breezed through the angiogram with flying colours, it seems he still has issues, as he can't seem to keep warm and is still needing naps.  We'll see what the cardiologist has to say when he receives the report from Monday's procedure and go from there.  He may need the pacemaker after all, but we'll take it as it comes.

Nap.thumb.PNG.14177d8844588e204a4c21f425b26929.PNG

I've had papadum and really enjoyed them, especially with different dipping sauces our friend provided.  I won't go so far as to make them myself, but will continue to indulge when I see them on a menu.  For us though, I think it's a good day to put another pot of soup on the stove.  I've got a bunch of vegetables that need to be used up and a rotisserie chicken carcass in the freezer that I can toss into the pot that will be simmering throughout the day.  I'm petty sure there's still a container of buns in the freezer as well, so it's looking like chicken soup and buns for our dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and all those who are reaching out to help them.  We'll raise our glasses and cheer on everybody on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear your masks when you need to, get your boosters, wash your hands, be well and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 38

44 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Laid back day today.  Going to clean out the master closet.  LOTS of clothes that I'm sure won't fit anymore.  Interesting group of days.  Will use the Salvation Army store for my drop off of clothes.  Middle name pride day....that's a new one on me.  Not sure what the meal is, will wait for Debbie's description. 

Prayers for all of us and toasts where needed.

Please continue to stay safe!!

Chocolate Covered Cherry:

1 cup ice cubes
1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger chocolate vodka
1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger cherry vodka
½ fluid ounce grenadine syrup
1 fluid ounce creme de cacao
1 fluid ounce half-and-half
1 dash chocolate syrup
1 maraschino cherry
1 chocolate kiss candy

Directions
Step 1 Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Pour in chocolate and cherry vodkas, grenadine, creme de cacao, half-and-half, and chocolate syrup. Cover and shake until the outside of the shaker has frosted. Strain into a chilled martini glass, garnish with maraschino cherry and chocolate kiss, and serve.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.36.33 AM.png

Too sweet!  Gave up Social drinking for Lent.

• Like 14

Happy Thursday!  The weather here is turning rainy and will be chilly this weekend.  

We had  a beautiful day yesterday for our lunch outside on the water with our Canadian friends!

Today we have doctor appointments and a history museum lecture tonight on saving the Florida panther.

• Like 25

Good Morning!  With the price of everything going up and up, I decided to save money by doing things a bit different.  Instead of buying a bag of cookies, I actually made some of those pre-made chocolate chip cookies (2 dollars less).  When i took them out of the oven i added a few large chips to them, and they were so much better than the bagged cookie.  Now I just need to figure out if I used up 2 bucks on heat....

We have fixed pricing on our electric, and gas.  My neighbor said that she wanted to change her account with the gas company from her mother, to her.  (her mom died several years ago).  The gas company said that since she was a new customer, she could get the fixed rate after one year, and so she said OK, and then found out that the bill for last February was over 600 dollars.  She has decided to leave all other bills under her mom's name.  This is quite sad, since she has been paying the bills for the last 5 years ( at least).  So I'm wondering what would happen if I passed, would DH still pay the bill under my name, or if he changed it, would he be stuck with the high prices too?  Wondering if I can add his name to the account.  

Well yesterday we had rain in the morning, a brief shower late in the morning, and it's cloudy again, with more rain in the forecast.  

f87b1e9e821a065169f8ff91f4516961.jpeg

df7dfccf90801e00a13d6b1db80d5941--motivational-memes-lifestyle-changes.jpg

inspirational_memes_to_get_you_more_motivated_for_life_640_25.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 32
  • Haha 1

@ger_77 I am also Geraldine Katharine! First name after a good friend of my Mom’s, middle name after my Mom. I was never called Geri, it was Deenee when I was young, now Deen. 🙂

• Like 23
  • Haha 2