IS THERE ANY CRUISE LINE WITH NO CHAIR HOGS ?

I handle the people who get up early to claim a chair for the rest of the day by just moving their stuff to another location on the ship - sometimes far away from where they have left it.  If they come several hours later to claim their lounger, I just play dumb and say that I didn't see anything there when I got there and suggest that someone or maybe a crew member must have taken their stuff.  I also suggest that they might want to check in lost and found or with the pool attendant.  Works every time.

DON

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Couldn’t get it to upload right side up.

I know. I've noticed this issue a lot on other forums using this software.  I've been able to address it in another forum by reducing the size of the pic.  But I don't know if that is just my luck or a real fix.  

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not recall any chair hogs when I was on the Cunard Ambassador years ago.

ROFL!  There are a few of us who remember that ship (most others have expired from old age).  The sister ship of the Ambassador become the Sunward II (NCL) which was my first cruise ship.   But hard to apply what existed 50 years ago to what the cruise industry has become today.  I also remember when formal night meant formal wear :).  But I did do a little research and noticed that the Ambassador became a cattle carrier (and we are not talking about people) which might be the fate of ships that did not have chair hogs.  But they eventually did have real Hogs!

Hank

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We are of the assumption that perhaps the ultra premium lines in suite venues just attract a more considerate group of like-minded cruisers that frown upon chair hogs.

I see a lot of people mentioning getting a balcony so they always have a spot. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just don't know if that is comparable to the main spots of the ship that everyone wants to be at.

I've never been on a ship that didn't have any spots available anywhere. There are often sun decks or spots on the promenades away from everyone that aren't full. People love to lay by pools, even if they have no intention of ever going in it. I get not wanting to have to find spots or not being where you want. Just saying, they're there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

She was withdrawn from Cunard service in 1974.   What is your point?

DON

Perhaps that two things have happened in recent years:

1) Cruise lines have increase passenger load at the cost of reducing open common areas - such as sun decks.

2) There has been an across the board decline in civil behavior in recent decades.

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL!  There are a few of us who remember that ship (most others have expired from old age).  The sister ship of the Ambassador become the Sunward II (NCL) which was my first cruise ship.   But hard to apply what existed 50 years ago to what the cruise industry has become today.  I also remember when formal night meant formal wear :).  But I did do a little research and noticed that the Ambassador became a cattle carrier (and we are not talking about people) which might be the fate of ships that did not have chair hogs.  But they eventually did have real Hogs!

Hank

Everything on that cruise was completely different from current cruising.
There were no shore excursions,no balconies .All the cabins had portholes,I believe.On sea days,every dinner was formal attire.Very few activities.Shuffleboard,use of the pool,skeet shooting.However,the entertainment was first class and the sail away party was a real party.

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We are of the assumption that perhaps the ultra premium lines in suite venues just attract a more considerate group of like-minded cruisers that frown upon chair hogs.

There were no suites on the cruise I was on.The cost for the 7 night cruise from NY to Bermuda was $699.00 ,no extra fees for my wife and I.

16 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I handle the people who get up early to claim a chair for the rest of the day by just moving their stuff to another location on the ship - sometimes far away from where they have left it.  If they come several hours later to claim their lounger, I just play dumb and say that I didn't see anything there when I got there and suggest that someone or maybe a crew member must have taken their stuff.  I also suggest that they might want to check in lost and found or with the pool attendant.  Works every time.

DON

Due respect but that sounds at least as jerky as being a chair hog.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Couldn’t get it to upload right side up.

Oh crap, now I'm going to have to cancel that Oceana cruise I just booked. No anti-gravity chairs is a deal breaker.  😉

X 2 apparently. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by DirtyDawg

19 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

A most unlucky ship. After 2 years with Cunard she experienced a fire resulting in her being declared a total loss. The hull was purchased and converted to a livestock carrier, but 2 further fires resulted in her being scrapped after only about 12 years.

20 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Best advice I ever read on how to deal with chair hogs, is to move the chairs out of order.  It confuses them as to what char was "theirs".

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Best advice I ever read on how to deal with chair hogs, is to move the chairs out of order.  It confuses them as to what char was "theirs".

I do essentially the same thing.  I move their stuff.  If they have stuff on several chairs. I move the stuff to different places.  I do not damage their stuff.  I do not take their stuff.  I keep all their stuff which was on a chair together.  If there is anything of value of their stuff, I turn it into the pool staff as we would not want to have it stolen.  I just make it difficult for them to find their stuff.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Never had a problem with “chair hogs” always been able to get one when I want one, might not be my prefered position but why worry, I’m on holidays, If I can’t get one that suits me I move on, a bit like life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

A most unlucky ship. After 2 years with Cunard she experienced a fire resulting in her being declared a total loss. The hull was purchased and converted to a livestock carrier, but 2 further fires resulted in her being scrapped after only about 12 years.

It was a beautiful ship.I still have pictures of the interior.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Due respect but that sounds at least as jerky as being a chair hog.

Why is responding to an aggressive hog jerky?   If enough people went just a little bit out of their way to make chair-hogging attempts unsuccessful, the problem would go away.

• Like 2