The Daily for Saturday 03/19/2022

richwmn

Today is International Sports Car Racing Day, Let’s Laugh Day, and National Quilting Day

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.--Jim Henson

Meal Suggestion for today - beef stir fry
Drink of the Day - Makers Mark Ginger
Wine of the Day - Kuranui 2020 Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc (Marl
Destination of the Day - Barcelona, Spain

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Port Everglades eta 3/20

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination San Diego eta 3/20

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 16:00

Key West, Florida

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 16:00

Vaiare Marina, Moorea Island, FP

Zuiderdam  

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Great Stirrup Cay

Noordam   Anchorage

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Malaga SP

Volendam   Anchorage

0319World.thumb.png.22b1bf4bae0451a507e742be7e43ddfc.png
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  Every day should have a laugh.  I'm not a big fan of car racing.  I never learned to quilt, but I have several friends who quilt.

Not sure what to make of the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds great, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm sure the drink and wine are good too.

We were in Barcelona several years ago, maybe some day we will return.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  My mother was a quilter, RIP.  I did watch sports car racing a few times in my younger days.  Lots of laughs to be enjoyed from some posters on the Daily.  Interesting and provocative Henson quote.  I've been to Barcelona several times but I think never on HAL.  @richwmn do you have the Nieuw Amsterdam itineraries for the next 2 weeks?  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Celebration of Fruit Cocktail, Breaded Pork Chop A La Milanese, and Strawberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam March 19, 2019:

dishes19.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Today’s care list:

RIP Kakalina 3/18/22
Ukraine
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
Strength for Jacqui as she searches for a suitable facility for Jose
Marely’s continuing decline
Welfare of furloughed crews
HAL Sailer DH in hospital with unsure diagnosis
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
St, Louis Sal with weakening legs and panic attacks
Buddy still having trouble getting food down
Sam with tinnitus and TMJ
From the rotation:
Marshhawk DH endless string of problems
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades starting to do 2 deferred charters

ma0319.thumb.JPG.e25c47430c570b0ddcaa95890a1b5eff.JPG
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
Cunnorl double success with golf tournament
60 years for irishjim and DW
2 days for Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3)
1 day 8for Lady Hudson (Anthem OTS to 4/3)
 Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19),  GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20), DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3)Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Niew Statendam  to 4/ 6) at sea
Last minute bookings for Vict0riann and AV8rix
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days - DH loves car racing but I will pass & while I don’t quilt I will happily celebrate for a dear friend who does and is very talented.  We all need to laugh every day - or, at least try to 😉  Wish I had seen this one sooner - a bit late but it put a smile on my face - hope it does yours:

9C72FD07-76E9-49FD-9B61-45EFE0C3C538.thumb.jpeg.8dd804412a57f9852846f49a9c8cf757.jpeg

LOL on the Jim Henson quote.  I confess there have been times I have been tempted to do that  

Nice to see a white wine recommended today.  Looking forward to cat’s description on that one 👍  Love, love, love Barcelona.  Been many times and for a number of days usually.  Love it when it is an embarkation port 🙂 

Spring is around the corner (hurrah!)

D14A704A-FB8A-4182-A9B2-184BDE87A15A.jpeg.2a07d325649aaed55aa996ff0879c432.jpeg

and to celebrate, since it’s the weekend, we’ll have a storm 😉 Rain but the temps will drop so there will be ice once again to deal with.  Hopefully there won’t be flooding again 🤞 

F0B7FC8B-4CEB-47BF-AD5E-9BA61DB0F32F.thumb.jpeg.9a5cf2b7495a9f6383c723426842b8d7.jpeg

Busy day yesterday - between the hospital, I spent time at the lawyers doing some painful but much needed business for the future so I have to catch up a bit.

Marley seems to be steadily improving and next week the vet and I will discuss steroids for his anemia from the cancer attacking his red blood cells once he is done these meds.  Hoping it isn’t necessary as I fear side effects.  As long as Marley has quality of life, I’m happy to do what I can to extend it.  I’ve been warned he may have another attack down the road as he did last weekend and just have to call and they will re-issue the meds 👍 

89B23D40-0161-4AFC-9883-6000C16A85BC.jpeg.5bc3a896d0a934cf3e0a5c258e82714e.jpeg

I know everyone is anxious to hear on Jose’s placement, but I can’t start until he is on the wait list officially (why I hate the B.S. of bureaucracy ).   I have chosen the 2 homes I want.  Once he’s on the list in about a week and a bit, I get the fun of filling out more paperwork with the 2 nursing homes 😉  and then, hope I luck out with a vacancy sooner than the 6 - 12 months normal wait time. I can be persistent when necessary 😉 

0F332FDB-4B0F-4CC7-83BA-18A5E12C4051.jpeg.ecb5aa4c79302e642a1e2ad2800b2fb8.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, Ukraine & Kakalina (RIP) and for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out List.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!!!

E2E74F95-49C7-43E8-9488-919D2562AB38.jpeg.b67da632d3ce27918ad21a61724e1198.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when & where needed.

• Like 43
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@richwmn do you have the Nieuw Amsterdam itineraries for the next 2 weeks? 

If it has been updated recently, most likely not. If you have it, please email or post

screen name at gmail

Thanks

• Like 12

Good Morning!  We went to Harbor India last night for some authentic Indian Food. Very good but couldn’t eat it all. Tonight’s dinner plans have been scrubbed as Sue’s twin sister flights have changed and now doesn’t arrive now until 8:00 PM! Sue and I will now eat at Boat Yard for lunch and get a bar snack downstairs when SIL arrives.

Spring Break appears to be in high gear so feel cruise demographics may be lot’s of families.

We have been to Barcelona several times and have future visits in our cruise plans.

So we sit and wait and wait until 10:45 tomorrow morning when the Renaissance van drives us to port. Seven dollars per person.

Thanks Rich and all our contributors. Keeping up with all the prayer request and needs. Enjoy the weekend.

Bruce

• Like 35

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! It is a lovely morning here and all the deer are already out & about. Last evening I had the joy of watching a doe feed her twins. Sadly any pictures would have been through a window and a screen, so from experience - I did not even bother. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Off to an early Pilates class. Then I foresee a long walk in Bindi’s future. 

Some Saturday smiles…

EFB8C4B8-0DF9-4A91-ADEB-90428586917E.jpeg.f658e066bd18d2f59840daff0df06144.jpeg

CA8304CE-43D1-4FB8-923A-1A0925A8EEB0.jpeg.b6e861317d8bea01ed56ded604ce6779.jpeg

E2EC40B4-5A28-4294-8DBF-2D0651552A77.jpeg.83048309d4c5a7f68bf9132956e4a7dc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

Kuranui 2020 Single Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc

This Sauvignon Blanc sounds lovely. And even if we shipped it from New Zealand, its price is low enough that even with shipping, it would be in my budget! Several online distributors with prices starting at $8.99! 

A bit about Sauvignon Blanc varieties…

Sauvignon Blanc is a bit of a chameleon of a variety, as it changes its character depending on where it is grown. Most famously in France’s Loire Valley, (especially in Pouilly-Fumé and Sancerre), it is a rich dry white with distinct herbal notes in the nose and on the palate. In New Zealand, the flavors range from gooseberry to tropical; both styles have very good natural acidity. Certain areas in Chile also produce very tropical-driven examples with a touch of herbal character, while the typical California style is clean with melon and spearmint fruit with only traces of herbal notes.

Many styles of Sauvignon Blanc – especially those from New Zealand – are aged in steel tanks to preserve the aromatic qualities, while some producers in Sancerre or even in California age in wooden barrels; this for added texture and spice. Medium-full in body, Sauvignon Blanc is especially excellent paired with shellfish or seafood or lighter poultry with herbs.

91 Wine Enthusiasts

A heady perfume of pineapple, lime leaf and passionfruit is backed by subtle green herb and grass notes. The juicy fruit feels cleansing on the tongue amid a slightly chalky texture. This is a tasty example of the style that put New Zealand wine on the map.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, richwmn said:

If it has been updated recently, most likely not. If you have it, please email or post

screen name at gmail

Thanks

Not sure if this qualifies as recent but here is today's for Soul Train Cruise:

image.png.5d93d625cd78dda4f1b51eca1268e935.png

Next week's Country Music cruise:

https://countrymusiccruise.com/booked-guests/2020-itinerary/

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.

Thank you Rich for the interesting days.  Not a big fan of car racing but I do like to laugh.  It’s the best medicine—or so they say.  Quilting, I tried my hand at that and realized it was not for me.  I used to do cross stitching until my eyes would no longer let me.

It is an interesting quote.  

Meal sounds good and I wait on the wine and drink.

Barcelona—a city I love and will be there in a little more than two weeks.  We are starting our cruise there and will spend five days prior to the cruise. It is such a great city with so many things to do and see.

RIP for Kakalina.  

Prayers for all that need them.  @kazu Jacqui I sure hope you don’t have to wait six to twelve months to get a place for Jose.  That is beyond reasonable.  Prayers that all this gets settled soon for both of you.

@HAL Sailer Hope your DH is doing better.  Prayers for him

@StLouisCruisersPrayers for Jen and Buddy.  

@smitty34877Prayers for Tana that she starts to feel better and sleep better.

@mamaofamiHope Sam is doing better and you too.

@St. Louis Sal Hope you get some strength back in your legs.

Prayers for everyone else that needs them.

Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

We are still waiting for a Dermatology diagnosis for DH for the two biopsies taken.  While we know they are not melanoma, we don’t know what they are.  So we sit and wait.  We are leaving in two weeks.  Still no answers.  

Lots of things to do today so trying to get my act together.  

Take care everyone.  Have a good laugh and Happy Saturday.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  We live about a mile from the Sebring International Speedway so we hear cars everyday.  I guess that makes this a good day to celebrate as the 12 hours of Sebring race is today. I try to laugh everyday to keep myself semi sane.  I used to quilt but gave it up when my hands hurt to much.

The meal sounds wonderful, looking forward to Debbie's recipes.  Have not been to today's destination. I like the quote, and like Kazu, would sometimes like to give a black eye to someone.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

Makers Mark Ginger:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
Ginger Ale
Garnish:
Lime Wedges

Instructions
Add Maker's Mark® Bourbon to an ice-filled rocks glass and top off with ginger ale. Garnish with a lime wedge and serve. For a twist, garnish with an orange slice.

Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 8.06.22 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Good morning all.   We were watching a lot of sports cars on the Mecum Arizona auction yesterday more today but none racing.   Will have to try to watch a comedy tonight and we will get together with the neighborhood tonight so there will be laughs.   Quilts are pretty and cozy to sleep under.    There are a few folks I would like to give a black eye.    I love beef stir fry.  Interesting tidbit on the drink, we showed up at the Marriott in Lexington KY after a day of driving on our way home from Fort Lauderdale very tired.  Set up in the lobby were a couple of folks from Maker's Mark with a custom ginger ale.   It was so good.  When we got home we bought a 6 pack of Diet Vernor's and have had a few already.  We love NZ SB and will have to keep an eye out for Kurani.  

The two talks on Lakewise gardening and Butterfly Host plants went well and the whole event at the garden center was well attended.  Lots of demos and exhibits from large hybridizers like Monrovia and Proven Winners, some hardscaping, Dairy Doo, Pro-Mix among others.  They were roasting cinnamon nuts for sale and they made me very hungry.  All the while a bunch of House Sparrows chirping overhead.   Today is Hosta College Zoom for several hours.  Perfect for a gloomy day.   

Prayers for all on Roy's care list, Jacqui and Jose and for Tana and everyone else.  Prayers for all in Ukraine and the refugees and those who are caring for them.   

Dinner on the balcony cruising Soufriere Bay.  We never received our stick on Passport page for leg 2 of the cruise.   I hope it shows up soon in the mail.   And I don't want to get started about our mail service of late....... Happy Saturday. 

Carpaccio Pitons 322.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 33

Good morning everyone. I will certainly celebrate laughter. We all need to laugh every day to make life enjoyable.

Taking Sam to the podiatrist this am for an ingrown toenail and then home to enjoy some warm weather and afternoon sun.

Prayers for so many on our care list and for the people of Ukraine. I find it so hard to watch the news that I’ve had to limit my time in front of the TV. My phone seems to get it all and flash it on.

We have the new variant of Omecron in our state and I wonder if we’re ever going to get rid of this virus.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

Right now we have blue skies but the rain is moving in later this morning.  I think I'll take advantage of the blue skies this morning and do a short walk.   I'll skip the race cars, but I do like to laugh.  Laughter is the best medicine for what ails you!   I am a quilter.   Here are a couple of quilts I have made:

IMG_0894.thumb.jpg.0d12bbda8345e941aa1928025b175781.jpg

I made this one for the room where my niece stayed when she came to visit.  

IMG_0897.thumb.jpg.2424926c24576cb3c5dfe5f9bd32652d.jpg

I call this the kidney stone quilt.  I started it in 2009 and quit when I developed a kidney stone and it was too painful to sit at the sewing machine.  I picked it up in 2015 when I had another kidney stone and was bored just sitting around the house.  I finally finished it in 2020 when I was recovering from knee replacement surgery.  I only had the binding to do then.  

Today's meal is one that you can doctor up to fit your tastes.   For example, I would leave out the carrots and perhaps use brussels sprouts.   The seasonings can all be different as well.   This first one sounds like it would be on the sweet side with the orange juice and brown sugar.   https://www.spendwithpennies.com/beef-stir-fry/

1519234829_BeefStirFry1.thumb.jpg.9669e311d1d89751bd8b0aa54c5cea59.jpg

Next up we have a selection from Trisha Yearwood with different seasonings and vegetables.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/beef-stir-fry-3364942

1176570734_BeefStirFry2.jpeg.094fa914c3b2a24821e84161526d79e0.jpeg

This one gives lots of suggestions on how you can substitute to meet your own needs.   Again, the seasonings are totally different here.  I think this is a recipe that you can make up as you go!  https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/beef-stir-fry/

1455311192_BeefStirFry4.thumb.jpg.29d13c42f9b649d7d9b14caced78cbd4.jpg

I'm interested in hearing Tana's choice.   Yesterday we differed on choices as she chose option 1 and I chose option 2.   Let's see what happens today!

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family members in need.   Cheers to those celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  A salute to international car racing, laughter and all of you talented quilters!  The quote doesn’t resonate with me, too aggressive.  I love the meal suggestion and the drink. I think that we’re going to have New England Boiled Dinner though.  I look forward to the photos of yet another port that I haven’t visited.  Prayers for everyone on our list, RIP Kakalena.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

Edited by Mr. Boston
  • Like 20

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a sunny morning but thunderstorms later then cooler tomorrow.

I’m going to a drive thru Turkey dinner at Caernarvon FC later this afternoon, last time we waited in line for 30 minutes, but so good.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏

• Like 22

Good Morning Dailyites!  Happy Saturday!  When I was young we lived in France, and on the weekends, my Dad would pile us in the car, and take off to find adventure.  Often we would hear motocross and Dad would stop the car, and we would trek off into the woods and fields to watch racing.  I have loved any form of racing since then.  But I love cars from the past, and have to admit that I even dated a few guys just for their car. Sorry.  It's me.  So when F1 is on, F2, F3 I am in front of the tv.  And the season starts this weekend.  Yippee!

I was reading the late posts from yesterday this morning.  My theory on testing is this, live your life right now as if everyone has covid.  Testing proves that you dont have Covid, right now, this minute, but you could be sick in 24 hours.  This makes no sense to me, and I am sure someone can tell the purpose, of it, but I just dont understand it.  I am vaccinated, and boosted and I wear a mask when i go out in public.  I will continue to live like this until everyone on earth is free of this disease.

I did watch an Alfred Hitchcock movie on Peacock last night-A Shadow of a Doubt.  Very thought provoking.  BUT the rest of the weekend, is work and car racing!

d01a77c4b7c180b69ee525c5d72578f0--funny-cat-memes-funny-cats.jpg

• Like 30
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon.

55°F and sunny.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Excellent selection of days and good quote.

Love beef stir fry.

We called at Barcelona last week on our cruise.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I wish everyone has a nice weekend.

Graham.

IMG-20220313-WA0002.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  None of our family are sports car racing enthusiasts - one of our neighbours once had one and was constantly tinkering in his garage, so we got to see and hear a lot of it.  DH has made me laugh every day of our marriage; I think laughter keeps couples together.  The one thing I haven't tried is quilting, although there are so many wonderful things you can create with this craft.  A dear friend of ours has quilted for more than 45 years; the reason I know this is that we still have and use a quilt she made for us for a wedding gift.  

We've been to Barcelona 3 times; the last visit there, we stayed 9 days pre-cruise and it was wonderful.  We can't wait to go back this year in October for a few days prior to our next trans-Atlantic.

It's a beautiful day out there today; we're starting off at -4C and expecting a high of +5, so that will settle down the piles of snow around the city.  I might go into the back yard and try to encourage the melting snow to drain along the perimeter, rather than coming toward the house.  That'll require getting out my high boots, as the snow is still at least 3' deep even with the melting.  It's also time to pull the big blue Rubbermaid tubs out of the snow - our "ice caves" - that hold the extra frozen foods for the winter.  Thankfully there's just enough room in the deep freeze to hold what's left in the bottom of the tubs, otherwise I'd be having to cook a lot of different things all at once just to use them up.

I think having sports car day and let's laugh day together is a good time to share this:

Car.thumb.jpg.f1f4c955e7943fd6492a59d82e501d26.jpg

I like today's menu suggestion, and know that there are vegetables in the crisper (or the vegetable wilter, as I call it) that should be used up, so will put them all together for a stir-fry.    I don't follow a recipe, just cut up a bunch of vegetables (I no longer do carrot coins, I just use my peeler, as they cook faster) and beef strips and toss them all together in a large fry pan.  I add soy sauce and sesame seeds and it just all comes together.  Stir fry and rice will be what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for dear @kakalina's soul and her family, and for all our precious Daily-ites and their families who are having health issues.  We'll raise our glasses high to cheer on all who make up the happy list.  Stay well, wear your masks when you need to, get your boosters, wash your hands, and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28
  • Haha 2