Picking port or starboard cabin?

CookieShip

How does one pick which side of the boat to be on? I believe I was starboard the last time I was on Carnival Legend and it seemed to get me a good land view from cabin when we were docked at a destination (using in place of port to be less confusing!). I enjoy the people watching from my balcony and maybe looking out for pier runners (haven't seen anything too crazy yet).

Do the ships always dock the same way or does it just depend which ships are also at that destination that day? I think I've seen at some destinations, the ship name painted onto the docking/pier structure. 

On my next sailing, I currently have a port side cabin. Wondering if I should try to change that at all or just go with it. I'll be at two of the same destinations as previous sailing and one new destination.  

No, ships do not always dock portside to the port (as the name would suggest). We always prefer to book portside staterooms so we can heckle the runners! However, on our cruise last month on Panorama, we docked with the starboard side in both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. We had to go to public areas of the ship to yell at "those that can't tell time"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It is somewhat the luck of the draw whether a ship is at the pier on its port or starboard side.  We usually stay on the port side of the ship because that makes it easy to remember where our cabin is located.  Yes we do like to watch the dock runners and have offered our comments to some.  

• Like 1

We pick a side of the ship for our cabin dependent upon the following factors:  scenery and smoking.  If we are sailing past something we definitely want to see (ex:  Statue of Liberty sailing out of NY, Kaanapali coast in Hawaii) we pick the side of the ship that will be facing that.  If no special scenery, we pick the opposite side of the deck that smoking is allowed on.  You never really know which side of the ship  may be facing port, and some ports are kind of industrial, so facing the water is better.  Research, research, research!  On Horizon last month we were facing the water at Grand Turk, and saw whales breaching from our balcony.

• Like 3

On our Horizon cruise last month it was divided evenly. For two port stops our balcony cabin faced the port. For the other two port stops we faced the ocean. I’ve noticed that it’s usually that way.  I guess they want both sides to have an equal amount of time facing the port. 

On 3/24/2022 at 12:45 PM, pe4all said:

If no special scenery, we pick the opposite side of the deck that smoking is allowed on...

Wait what? Carnival allows smoking on balconies??? How to you find out which side?

It won't matter on the cruise I have booked, as there were only two adjoining cabins that met our needs, but what a shocker to learn this.

I have an almost in built preference for Port, perhaps it’s because I get a view of the Opera House on boarding, a view of the city coming to life pre dawn as we sail back into Sydney, or from my old sailing days. Or just because my first few cruises I ended up booking guarantee cabins and got Port, now days I pick my own and usually pick Port.

No smoking on Balconies every. The reference to smoking & starboard is the open-air smoking venues are on the starboard side (Starboard=Smoking is how I remember it) so you have a chance of the smoke wafting up to your balcony, depending on where it is. 

On 3/24/2022 at 12:21 PM, PaulieG13 said:

No, ships do not always dock portside to the port (as the name would suggest). We always prefer to book portside staterooms so we can heckle the runners! However, on our cruise last month on Panorama, we docked with the starboard side in both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. We had to go to public areas of the ship to yell at "those that can't tell time"!

We've got an aft cabin and I hope we're parked just right to see the Cozumel gang - we are staying on the ship that day and will be many drinks in for the show - haha.

We don't ever pay any attention to it. There are pros and cons to each. People who tell you one side is infinitely better, are sometimes stretching the truth.

What I will say though, is I appreciated one experience of being portside very much on my last cruise. As we approached Cabo in the morning, it was our first cruise in 2 years. Being able to see that beautiful scenery (wouldn't have on the other side), while experiencing warm weather, and watching dolphins/whales around the ship, was an absolutely amazing moment for a return to cruising.

I'm struggling to understand how the smoking has any impact whatsoever. Considering where it is, where rooms are, and that the ship is in motion, sounds like a lot of worry about nothing.

On our first cruise we had a starboard cabin.  My wife insists on booking the same side every cruise since.  No real logic behind it but she insists on it.  I don't really care as I don't spend much of any time in the room so if it makes her happy I'm good with it. 

• Like 2