Handicapped and No longer have a cabin!

Aboat1

29 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Something similar happened to a poster last month. Emailing Mr. Bayley helped that poster get his cabin back. Somehow they “found” one.

You’ll want a documented special needs form each time you sail.

Thank You

• Like 1

Very sorry this happened to you but I noticed that you were asked if you submitted the appropriate paperwork for a handicapped cabin and you didn’t really answer.  If you just booked the cabin for convenience, without documentation, then I think RC can move you. You definitely need to contact Mr. Bayley’s office with documentation that you provided at booking. 

• Like 3

I checked the RCCL site for information on their President:

"Michael W. Bayley is a President and Chief Executive Officer of Royal Caribbean International of the company. Prior to this, he served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Celebrity Cruises since August 2012.Feb 17, 2022"

While it definitely sucks, thinking royal just wouldn't have sold these cabins in not realistic. For one when the sailings first went on sale royal had no idea they would need to block off cabins. And for two stuff is so up in the air that they're not going to move people months in advance. My friend is on the quarantine deck for odyssey and just got moved less than 30 days in. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Loucat said:

Jimbo-That is an important post. Why do you say they would not put sick people in a handicap cabin?

Because the cabin is for handicap passengers, not people covid related like others on here are saying most ships have put those passengers on deck 3 in regular cabins.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Because the cabin is for handicap passengers, not people covid related like others on here are saying most ships have put those passengers on deck 3 in regular cabins.

But if a handicapped passenger needs to quarantine they need an accessible cabin available. 

Edited by dcgrumpy
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, dcgrumpy said:

But if a handicapped passenger needs to quarantine they need an accessible cabin available. 

Probably would be allowed to stay in their cabin.. Bingo  Plus now so few are getting Covid, it may not even be an issue on the ships now.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Very sorry this happened to you but I noticed that you were asked if you submitted the appropriate paperwork for a handicapped cabin and you didn’t really answer.  If you just booked the cabin for convenience, without documentation, then I think RC can move you. You definitely need to contact Mr. Bayley’s office with documentation that you provided at booking. 

I have submitted paperwork. Previously and currently.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Mbayley@rccl.com. 

9 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Agree. 

8 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Something similar happened to a poster last month. Emailing Mr. Bayley helped that poster get his cabin back. Somehow they “found” one.

You’ll want a documented special needs form each time you sail.

+ 3 . That.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dcgrumpy said:

Yes, of course such people still need accessible features if moved to special quarantine locations.  Furthermore, there might also be some people in marginal condition who manage in regular cabins in their usual state of health yet if they were weakened by febrile illness might need some of the features the accessible cabins provide (grab bars, bathroom accessible with walker or wheelchair), particularly if their usual support person is not in the covid cabin with them.

All that said, involuntarily downgrading a passenger is a big deal.  I hope the email to mbayley helps sort matters.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

My interpretation was that a refund was offered is the cruise was canceled, but no compensation was offered for the downgrade from OV to inside.

I am sorry if I confused the issue. Yes they will refund the whole cruise minus my credit card reward points

No there was no offer made for the downgrade

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Yes, of course such people still need accessible features if moved to special quarantine locations.  Furthermore, there might also be some people in marginal condition who manage in regular cabins in their usual state of health yet if they were weakened by febrile illness might need some of the features the accessible cabins provide (grab bars, bathroom accessible with walker or wheelchair), particularly if their usual support person is not in the covid cabin with them.

All that said, involuntarily downgrading a passenger is a big deal.  I hope the email to mbayley helps sort matters.

My support person died. I can not sail without those options. 

I have high hopes Mr. Bayley can help.

• Like 3

I have to say things like this present quite the disappointing picture of Royal Caribbean. When they downgrade your cabin, you are expected to suck it up and are given no compensation. But when it requires an upgrade, they charge you an extra $2000. Pure greed. Shame on you, Royal Caribbean!

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Aboat1 said:

They need it for possible sick rooms

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

They are not going to put sick people in a handicap cabin. NEVER happen.

While they may be using a section of cabins on Deck 3 for quarantining of passengers, everyone has forgotten about sick crew members.

A section of Deck two is probably designated for quarantining ill crew members and that section has the OP's booked cabin.

We recently had this happen to us on another cruise. Our booked deck two cabin was in a section of cabins that was designated for crew quarantine. When the section is blocked for this purpose, the fire doors to that area are closed and no one is allowed access except for designated personnel.

We were allowed to book that cabin because at the time of our booking (December 2021), omicron had not hit and the resultant surge had not yet happened which forced the need for additional quarantine cabins.

At this point, OP, if you want to cruise , you will have to accept whatever accessible cabin that may be available.  While I agree that it would be nice if you were upgraded at no cost, it may not be possible under the current conditions.

And before there is any blah, blah, blah about covid numbers going down, please remember that Royal Caribbean is probably more aware of conditions in the port of embarkation than many of you in the rest of the country.

Miami on April 30 will still be in the time period of a surge that occurs in Florida around any holiday or peak vacation period as tourists flock to the state without any public health controls.

Successful!!!!!

I just got a call from RCCL...they are giving me the  Jr. Suite at no cost!!

After a sleepless night and a letter to Mr. Bailey and a few will placed postings...I am going on my cruise as planed with an upgrade!

Thank you all for your support.

Kathie 

• Like 77
  • Thanks 4