Way to make me feel OLD ... ​

I've had a few, but  we didn't have money or time back in the day to cruise often.  🙂

I have been on the newest, biggest baddest ship in the fleet a couple times - Sovereign, Voyager and Oasis.    

Edited by flamingos
  • Like 1

My first cruise, our honeymoon - that ship has been sold off twice!  (Nordic Empress/Empress of the Seas). Not sure if she's finally been scrapped. For a bit, I was hoping to sail on her for our 30th (this year). But we're on Anthem instead. 

We've also been on the "biggest ship in the world" twice - Freedom in 2009 (Allure existed at that time but hadn't officially launched) and Harmony in 2016. We had Allure booked while she was the biggest in the world, but had to cancel that one. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cruisekitty1977 said:

I was on Sovereign of the Seas in 1990 when I was 12. Oldest I can go.

That was our first RCCL ship and cruise as well -  but in 1992.  However we won't discuss specific ages as we had 3 children then, the oldest not too many years younger than you then.....

Have seen several ships (including Sovereign) leave the fleet since then.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Haha 1

Saw a ship in either St Martin or St Kitts a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked familiar.

It was the Splendor of the Seas, going to a Costume party as the Marella Discovery.  

Nice to to still be around I guess, beats the alternative.

I think Marella also is sailing the old Legend of the Seas.

Eddie

• Like 1

Besides one when I was a kid, I've only been sailing since 2010... though I didn't sail again until 2015 (and it's been at least one a year since then. Went from 2 cruises before 2015 to adding 15+ since then).

Apparently have had 2 gone since I was on monarch and majesty. Three if we're counting other lines because the Bahamas paradise ship is scraped. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gi_pam said:

My first cruise, our honeymoon - that ship has been sold off twice!  (Nordic Empress/Empress of the Seas). Not sure if she's finally been scrapped. For a bit, I was hoping to sail on her for our 30th (this year).

For our 30th wedding anniversary I'm hoping to be able to to sail on a ship with the same name as our honeymoon cruise was on.  The original Jubilee was scrapped in 2017, and its namesake will launch in 2023.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 2

I must be really old. First ship sailed, 1971, Oceanic. Not really old, just very young then! Also had to say goodbye to Sovereign,  Majesty, Legend, Nordic Empress, Song of America, Celebrity Horizon. And probably at least one Carnival ship. Sure I'm missing some. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Do they actually do that?  Enquiring minds.😇

No, but the competitor in me saw a chance to 1 up the OP.

I heard Royal Genies can work wonders though.

Edited by soremekun
  • Haha 4

Sovereign was our first cruise……only other scrapped now was Legend…

We also were on Pacific Princess, the original Love Boat, for her last season before she was sold. NY to Bermuda. It was exactly as what you saw on the TV show. Weirdest configured ship we were ever on.  Took us almost the whole week to find how to get to a sun deck we saw on our first day from another deck.

• Like 1

I don't need to count the number of now scrapped cruise ships I've sailed on to make me feel old. I just have to look at my scars for the knee replacements, the hip replacement, or when I fill  up my daily medicine organizer. 

I also feel old when I have to call my adult kids to ask them what the heck is 'woke'?  🤔 I woke up this morning but, according to some of the university kids I teach, I'm apparently not  'woke' enough yet. 

BTW, I had to write this initially in font size 48 because I couldn't remember where I put my reading glasses last night. 👓

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

My first cruise was on the Home Lines “Oceanic” celebrating our 1st anniversary. 
 At thst time I considered her the most beautiful ship.  Made even more special as she sailed from NYC and the view was absolutely stunning. 

1 minute ago, ChC said:

To me, anyone still use a travel agent is way beyond OLD.

Me thinks, that is a bad example.  I have yet to find a cruise that I have booked on RCI, that I didn’t find a better deal on using a TA.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

My first cruise was on the Home Lines “Oceanic” celebrating our 1st anniversary. 
 At thst time I considered her the most beautiful ship.  Made even more special as she sailed from NYC and the view was absolutely stunning. 

LOL - Back in 1985 (?), we booked one of the first Walt Disney cruises.

At the time, Disney did not have their own ships and used ships of the Premier Cruise Line.

We walked onto the Premier Oceanic. My husband had a strange look on his face and he kept saying,  "I've been on this ship before."

He finally asked at the Purser's desk (Guest Relations for you newbies) and found out it was the Home Lines Oceanic that he had sailed with his mother to Europe when he was a kid.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - Back in 1985 (?), we booked one of the first Walt Disney cruises.

At the time, Disney did not have their own ships and used ships of the Premier Cruise Line.

We walked onto the Premier Oceanic. My husband had a strange look on his face and he kept saying,  "I've been on this ship before."

He finally asked at the Purser's desk (Guest Relations for you newbies) and found out it was the Home Lines Oceanic that he had sailed with his mother to Europe when he was a kid.

Could not mistake the Macrodome.  The quality of the food was absolutely fantastic.  Even ahd the opportunity to have the Maitre D prepare a special entree by our table.