Totally Upset Right Now

I had a $500 gift card that I just redeem to be used on board.  You will get an amenity confirmation. I intend to use that to pay my tips and anything else we choose to spend it on. Just use on the ship. 

Edited by LivLove2Cruise

This is what the fine print says on the website

IMPORTANT: To use toward the payment of a cruise vacation, reservation(s) must be made at least 14 business days prior to the sail date and/or the gift certificate must be redeemed before the final payment date (at least 10 business days prior to the sail date). To use as an onboard credit, the gift certificate must be redeemed 10 business days prior to the sail date.
Only before final payment if you are using to pay for cruise.  Read the last sentence.  If using as onboard credit, the gift certificate must be redeemed 10 business days prior.  since you are looking for apply as onboard credit the first sentence does not apply to you.  Redeem online as others have said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, strickerj said:

That reminds me of a quote from Dilbert: "why would I spend cash on something that's used like cash but is far more restricted?"

But as long as envelopes of cash are seen as "tacky", there will be a market for gift cards.

I don't disagree with your logic. Beyond the tackiness position, there's also an experience the gift giver is usually trying to give. Do you want a gift that might be used for groceries or something that would be more "fun?"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I don't disagree with your logic. Beyond the tackiness position, there's also an experience the gift giver is usually trying to give. Do you want a gift that might be used for groceries or something that would be more "fun?"

Right, I think the idea behind the gift card is that the giver put some thought into what the recipient might like.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

If the recipient needs groceries, then why would I care?  Once I give a gift it’s theirs to do with as they want.  I’ve gotten gift cards for places I never frequent, they were regifted.  

5 minutes ago, ATG said:

If the recipient needs groceries, then why would I care?  Once I give a gift it’s theirs to do with as they want.  I’ve gotten gift cards for places I never frequent, they were regifted.  

lol, not to bring topic off target too much but I got a gift card from a family member for Publix.  I live in NJ...😁  I actually did use it just recently when I was in Florida.

I didn't realize that Royal Caribbean gift certificates were sold.  I wouldn't mind that instead of a publix gift card.

Edited by jean87510

1 hour ago, strickerj said:

Right, I think the idea behind the gift card is that the giver put some thought into what the recipient might like.

More like OH S##T your birthday is today!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I always thought a gift card was to allow for a person to use it online.  I hate getting cash; I use it for nonsense or it gets lost.  I'd rather get a cheque I can upload to my bank account with my app without having to go to the bank to physically deposit cash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, strickerj said:

But on the gift card (hallmark card), you can right, Happy Birthday, this is for your upcoming trip on RCCL.  Treat yourself to a specialty restaurant.  

Edited by Joseph2017China
  • Like 2

For our first Christmas together my husband (who'd never been on a cruise at that point) gave me a Christmas ornament depicting travel with a note about booking a cruise.  I think there are lots of creative ways to 'gift' money etc so it doesn't just look like a wad of cash in an envelope....although that's nice, too 😉

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

I always thought a gift card was to allow for a person to use it online.  I hate getting cash; I use it for nonsense or it gets lost.  I'd rather get a cheque I can upload to my bank account with my app without having to go to the bank to physically deposit cash.

You lose cash?  I’ll send you some addresses stamped envelopes pronto. 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

You lose cash?  I’ll send you some addresses stamped envelopes pronto. 🙂

By the time I actually got the envelopes, I will either have bought junk I don't need, lost the cash, or given it to a homeless person.  Also, I probably would lose the envelope too. I don't fare well with loose bits of paper... ADHD, ya know. 😜

45 minutes ago, kayjaypea42 said:

Haven't been inside of a bank in more than 10 years. The closest I come is the ATM machine outside (and I drive through that one). Always deposit checks via photo on the bank's app. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Husky1987 said:

Very few things say "Happy birthday, I'm too lazy to do any real shopping for you!!" like a gift card.

Hallmark: "When you care enough to send the very best"

Gift Card: "When you don't give a flip and grab the first thing you see on the rack by the check out counter"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, GranysT said:

My grandkids went together and bought my DH and me gift certificates, for $150 total, for us for last Christmas

So sorry that you are having so much trouble with this, but so sweet that your grandchildren cared enough to give you something you would really love (and of course they would have had no clue of the added aggravation that the certificates might bring). Lucky you 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, luv2cruise4ever said:

For our first Christmas together my husband (who'd never been on a cruise at that point) gave me a Christmas ornament depicting travel with a note about booking a cruise.  I think there are lots of creative ways to 'gift' money etc so it doesn't just look like a wad of cash in an envelope....although that's nice, too 😉

3 hours ago, luv2cruise4ever said:

Sorry I do not how to fix.  Anyway buying a clear ornament and putting cash folded up inside with some bright filling is a great gift for anyone and time IMHO. 

18 hours ago, time4u2go said:

You are upset because they are abiding by the fine print that you didn't feel like reading? Ohhkaaay. 

The forum police are out in full force here... quoting rules and regulations.... 

I get a gift card, I can't say my first instinct is to rush to find the terms and conditions until I'm ready to use it.  

Restricting them from redemption for OBC at less than 10 days vs. 11 days or more prior to sailing seems rather arbitrary to me.  

17 hours ago, orville99 said:

This is simply not true. We have received RCL gift certificates from our children on numerous occasions and have purchased them for ourselves on almost as many, and we have always used them for OBC without any issues.

We also have gotten several RCI gift certificates (our choice) from our adult kids. I just redeemed several ($550.00) towards our final payment due in 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Personally, if you were to give me a gift card, I would prefer a pre-paid generic Visa that does not lock me into some vendor.

But that said, if you get a gift card, you really should read the terms and conditions. They have expiration dates.  They have limitations.

But, then again, many people do not read the directions if they get a physical gift.

• Haha 2