Packing, rolling v folding debate,

sunlover33

A friend has bought me some packing cubes for my next trip. I always overpack and am determined not to do so for this trip in the Mediterranean this summer, hopefully warm weather and having  a few days stay in Italy either end of an eleven night cruise. I have never used packing cubes before and  just wondered about peoples packing preferences , habits and tips. Folding versus rolling and advantages or not of packing cubes? 

1 minute ago, PSU said:

Love packing cubes. Best thing ever. Take the cube out of your suitcase and put it in a drawer.

Purchase multiple sizes good for bras underwear in one, tops or shorts socks  etc in another.  Also hotel drawers and on ships not sanitized who knows whats been in them before. Yuk! Then just throw in laundry when  home. 

I have packing cubes and don’t understand the hype. I have used them, but they take up more space in the suitcase. I’m probably in the minority, but I just can’t understand why people rave about them 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 10

We love using the packing cubes! It makes it so much easier to unpack especially if you are visiting multiple locations. For example, since we often drive to our destination ports for cruises or visit different places post-cruise, it's easy to access the needed clothing without rummaging all through our luggage. As others also mentioned, it makes unpacking quick and effortless. Generally, we find that rolling the clothing makes for less wrinkles.

Have used packing cubes for years. Makes finding items so much easier than rummaging around in a suitcase (especially if you're only in a hotel for a night or 2 before moving on). Also very quick to unpack: remove cube from suitcase, put in drawer or on shelf. Done. 

Use the right size for the job. Filled,  but not crammed full to prevent shifting in transit,  and wrinkling. I roll clothes that go into the cubes, like lingerie, t shirts, shorts/Capris,  and bathing suits/ cover ups.  However I still prefer to fold my dresses, skirts, slacks, shirts/evening tops flat in the suitcase. As long as the suitcase is full, and the inside straps secured, shifting of the contents leading to wrinkles is minimized. But I also don't pack clothes that I know are prone to wrinkling, like linen.

Packing cubes user

i was hesitant about using  cubes as I thought they would take up more space and etc.

Everything is packed in it own cube or with a few other items.  The cube keeps the clothes folded and separated according to type.   I have cubes for my clothes and my wife has her cubes.  

To unpack we take the cubes out and I have my cubes and she has hers.  I usually leave my clothes in the cubes and put the cubes on the shelves or in the drawers except for what needs to be on hangers.  

Simple way to keep everything organized and it seems to help condense the clothes when packing in the luggage.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

As a long-time traveler I also don't see the hype with packing cubes. I've tried packing with and without andy for me, I find my clothes travel better and I can actually pack more in a smaller bag without using the cubes.

On cruises I take everything out of my suitcase. Most of it gets hung up. I'm not a germaphobe -- don't spend time worrying about what was in the drawers previously. It's not like I'm staying in a hostel...

On long trips I pack in layers and I am adept at lifting out, let's say, the top several inches of clothing without anything getting out of place. I can then place that top layer back into the bag without refolding. Once a week or so I have to more or less repack. But on land trips I tend to bring fewer clothes as there is less need for anything really dressy.

• Like 2

My wife loves them and would get upset when I didn't use them for years.  Finally I broke down a couple of cruises ago and used them and have not gone back.  It does simplify unpacking in the cabin for me which is nice because I like to get that over quickly.

• Like 1

We have packed in many different ways:  no packing cubes, packing cubes, folded clothes, rolled, etc.  In decades of traveling, I've learned that the method doesn't really matter to me.  What matters is weight.  I consider it a challenge (for my retired brain) to pack a healthy variety of fun clothes (I wouldn't call myself a fashion minimalist - LOL) for all occasions, be organized, and still be under the weight allowance.  I use the lightest (but still recommended for strength and durability) luggage possible (a large checked bag, carry on, and small purse) and make sure I can stack and tether everything together, then roll everything easily using luggage with spinner wheels.   Packing cubes are great for organizing, but add to the weight,  so I don't use them anymore.  I also unpack everything when I get to my destination.  As far as folding or rolling, I roll my clothes as I find it prevents wrinkling.  I group things together for easy unpacking.  I have used the tissue paper trick with dressy clothes to further ensure wrinkle free clothing.  I have also helped my elderly mom (now gone) pack minimally because of problems maneuvering a heavy suitcase.  My brother has traveled to the EU for a month with only a backpack - he prides himself on rolling the few things he needs into an easily carried bag and traveling as the ultimate minimalist.    I would go nuts wearing the same things over and over again.  To each his own, I guess.

• Like 3

Packing cubes are best if you're taking a lot of luggage and want to keep it all very organized, but they do take up space and add weight that can be detrimental if you're trying to keep everything in a single carry-on (my goal for most longer trips as it's a relief to only have to keep up with one small bag).

What I learned a while ago about multi-week trips is to just plan on having your laundry done at some point, whether that's budgeting enough to have the hotels do it along the way or finding a service to use to send things out. There are a host of options all over the world.  I think I've only done self-laundry once but knew in advance that I was going to have to spend some time doing it and planned my trip accordingly.

I believe there is no real debate about folding vs rolling as what you have to do depends on the garment.  Better to consider what you're packing and whether or not you really need it.

• Like 2

I use packing cubes (most of which are quite lightweight) more for the organization than to reduce the amount that I pack. I like to be able to pack certain categories of clothing in one place. My DH, on the other hand, is an engineer who packs like he's playing reverse Jenga. No thanks to pairs of socks stuck here and there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not to beat this dead horse, but I also bought into the cubes and only use the small and a couple of medium. Pjs, under garments, bathing suits. I will use one in my carry-on for the hotel so I do not have to get into the checked the day before we embark. I am probably not using them to their potential. I still keep my dry cleaner bags and use them to keep my clothes wrinkle free. 

Used 5-6 packing cubes for our Edge cruise last week. First time to totally fill suitcases with cubes, and it worked well. I folded and stacked "outfits" and rolled small items to fill in around the edges of the cubes and the suitcases.

Cube was great for corralling all the non-clothing items I usually put into dozens of small zip lock bags then tuck all over suitcase - a real pain to unpack that way.

On return trip, put unworn clothes (first cruise in 2 years and yes, I way over packed) into "his & hers" cubes. Dirty clothes worked better to just roll and stuff into the 2nd suitcase.

One thing I did really wrong in packing however - when packing without cubes I split clothes between two suitcases so if one goes astray DH & I both still have something to wear for day-to-day and Chic Night. Packed all his clothes into "his cubes and his suitcase" and did same for mine - then realized the error of my ways. Unpacked everything and did the integrated method so each suitcase had half of everything for each of us. (Won't make that mistake again - as I said, first time putting clothes and everything else in cubes.)

Good luck with whatever method you choose.

• Like 3

Our packing cubes are made of very light fabric.  I use the largest for rolled pants, skirts.  The middle size for rolled tops and the small one for underwear.  We use different colours for his and hers.  I wouldn't be without them.  And, as others have said, they go straight into the drawers upon arrival, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

A friend has bought me some packing cubes for my next trip. I always overpack and am determined not to do so for this trip in the Mediterranean this summer, hopefully warm weather and having  a few days stay in Italy either end of an eleven night cruise. I have never used packing cubes before and  just wondered about peoples packing preferences , habits and tips. Folding versus rolling and advantages or not of packing cubes? 

Love my packing cubes. Have them for years. I also use packing envelopes for pants and skirts.  I don't travel without them. When I unpack, I leave small items inside and take them when need them. None of clothes touch the inside of drawers. 

• Like 1

Be aware - there are two kinds of packing cubes.  One is just cubes, which are useful.  The other is COMPRESSION cubes, which I find REALLY useful, especially for small-medium items.  You fill the cube, close it, and then zip the compression zipper which compacts it.  I love these for underwear, socks, tshirts.  Saves more space than I thought it would.  

these are just cubes:

image.png.b0f0edf82fb216e3056dc6363cb1fba0.png

and these have the second, compression zipper:  

image.png.1d5cef5f3d74c511876535e918712c0a.png

• Like 3

I tried Cubes one time. The Cube material in itself was adding too much bulk to the suitcase. Now I use 1 gallon or 2 gallon zip-loc plastic bags. Slide 3-4 shirts in one, compress the air out as you close it. Do the same for underwear, another for socks. Also bag up any loose toiletries, etc. I hang some things in the cabin, but many items stayed bagged up, sorted, easy to find and get to in a drawer.

The plastic bags are great if TSA or whoever opens your checked bag for inspection. The bags come out, can be easily inspected without opening, can be thrown back into the suitcase. Loosely packed folded clothing, on the other hand, can get totally messed up by any inspection. Not sure how well Cubes far in this scenario.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 2

I use ziplocks for all packed toiletries.  They are really lightweight, compared to the packing cubes.  They are also great in a carry on, as someone said, for easy, fast inspection by airport authorities.