The Daily for Sunday 04/17/2022

richwmn

39 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

This will be a very different Easter and birthday for me, but life is good. So many of you have already brightened my day with birthday wishes and I am so thankful for each of you here on the Daily.

Happy Birthday!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@StLouisCruisers Sandi what a difference 40 miles makes...locked in the fog in Stone Mountain.  No sun this morning.  

I am wearing my bunny ears, and put together a candy platter for DH, includes one Dollar Tree blue bunny , and his two favorite candies- Butterfingers and Reese's peanut butter eggs.  And NOW I throw out the remaining Easter candy from last year.  

DH and I cruised over Easter years ago, so I bought the bunny ears, and gave out candy to all of the staff we ran into that day.  Two years ago, we put on the bunny ears and went for a long walk in the bird sanctuary at the park.  With the two new strains of "C" and people in this area ignoring science, I doubt if we go anywhere today.

No ham for us today, we are going to split a small steak,  mushrooms, potatoes O'Brian (roasted with onions and peppers) and a small salad.

@Cruzin Terri Stay safe, and I hope you feel better soon.  You might have an infection and maybe they have some antibiotics in the infirmary?  Test again.  and get better!

To my Daily family, no matter what Holiday you are celebrating today, may it be joyful and filled with love.

Ann, as the sun rose today we had fog too, but I guess the sun was determined to burn it off.  So pretty right now.

And if there was Easter candy in my house, it would never last a year!  DH wouldn't eat it, but I'd eat the entire batch.  That's why I don't have Easter candy.

Today we're having crock pot roast with potatoes and carrots. 🥕 Still wish I could have a ham though.  Have a wonderful Easter!

• Like 17

Good Morning. As always, thanks for the daily and the care lists.

For all who celebrate, Happy Easter, Passover and Ramadan!

Yeserday was a busy one. My band played at the 15th annual Carboard Boat Rgatta here. It is sucha fun event.

Later today we will be have a bunchof friends over for a pot luck dinner.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 20

Good morning everyone.Happy Easter, Passover, and Ramadan. We zoomed our seder on Friday night and yesterday my family of origin gathered at my daughter’s house. 4 of my 5 grandsons were there and we had a wonderful time. One flew in from LA and his brother came home from a NY college for the weekend. The two 16 year olds were there but one who is in college 10 hours away already had his spring break so we missed seeing him.

Trying to decide if I should have a third J and J vaccine.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26

@StLouisCruisers  You may certainly have my serving of ham.   Giving you my ham reminds me of a time when I was in New Orleans visiting a friend.  He was renting a room in a house of priests and when I went to visit I was invited to stay there as well.  One night the provincial of the order took everyone to dinner.  They ordered oysters on the half shell.  Of course they are raw and raw is not my thing unless it is a vegetable or fruit.  I did manage to get one to slide down to be polite.  There was one oyster left over and the provincial said, "Debbie, I'll sacrifice and you may have the last oyster."  I replied, "Oh, no, Father!   Let me sacrifice!  Please let me sacrifice."   He commented that he would but somehow he didn't think it was as great a sacrifice.  

• Like 13
  • Haha 15

Today has dawned partially sunny with 32°F -- a vast improvement over yesterday's 16°F with blowing snow! Typical Spring in Northern Michigan!

DH doesn't like ham (Boo!) and won't eat lamb (Hiss!), so our Easter menu will be pork chops, yams, asparagus, and lemon cake.

(And, I'll just dream of ham and lamb -- and of lovely dinners on our BHBs...)

-Melisa

• Like 25

Happy Easter everybody !

thank you Rich and Roy and all contributors to the daily keeping us HAL loyal fans connected ! 

We are waiting for our transfer to the ship in half an hour , and will do a very big Happy Dance when we arrive in our cabin , it has been a little bit of a stressful couple of weeks after we had to get isolated on our last cruise , and now we can almost see and smell the sea! 

take care everybody , hope to send some pictures or messages from our Transatlantic crossing . 

Tony 😍

• Like 28

2 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

We are waiting for our transfer to the ship in half an hour , and will do a very big Happy Dance when we arrive in our cabin , it has been a little bit of a stressful couple of weeks after we had to get isolated on our last cruise , and now we can almost see and smell the sea! 

take care everybody , hope to send some pictures or messages from our Transatlantic crossing . 

I'm so excited for you!  Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy all that pampering!!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful church service and sermon this morning! It’s just the two of us so we have a small ham for our dinner. Yesterday I cooked baby back ribs but the best part was the fresh corn on the cobs. First of the year.

Here are a few pics of our 2019 Maasdam visit to Rarotonga, Cook Islands.

Enjoy your Easter or Passover.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f211ba0d73c63b5600d9850a147d0e8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.40568af5fe35b1384bb865247c1f735a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.753915c7d628a7aa0932aefa0306a474.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f774756a2e35df352eb6632202fc1ed6.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily. HAPPY EASTER! , Happy Passover and Ramadan to those who celebrate.

Interesting quote. I like ham, but having Shepherd's pie today. The drink looks interesting. I like the wine, but out of my price range.

I haven't been to the Cook Islands.

Fortunately no leg cramps last night, so I think it was related to overexertion. I woke up to the sad news of a mass shooting here; an underage drinking party, where over 100 shots were fired, with 2 juveniles dead and a dozen wounded. People were jumping out of windows to escape. This insanity has to stop.

There were flurries this AM, and measurable snow is forecast the next 2 days!

@JAM37 Happy Birthday!

@grapau27 Thank you for Father David's Easter message. Belgian chocolate sounds delightful!

@kazu Enjoy your dinner out, as I'm sure test #2 will be negative. And I hope you enjoy your Air Fryer.

@Cruzin Terri So sorry to hear you're ill. Prayers that you feel better soon. I'm glad you called medical and that the PCR test was negative.

@StLouisCruisers I hope Gracie is doing better. Prayers for Jen and Buddy. Thanks for the pictures.

@sailingdutchy Bon Voyage to you and Martha!

@smitty34877 Nice that Tana's friend will visit, and I agree with requesting a test given Tana's fragile state.

@Lady Hudson I'm glad you got to visit DSIL It sounds like she's in a nice facility, which is good.

@aliaschief Thanks for the great photos.

Prayers for the Care List, Ukraine and it's people and helpers. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

On this beautiful sunny day (if a tad cool), we wish Happy Easter/Passover/Ramadan to all who celebrate.

This evening, we will indulge in roast leg of lamb with double-vaxxed double -boosted friends, one of whom celebrates a birthday tomorrow, before flying off to Spain on Tuesday.

I don’t recall seeing any posts from @St. Louis Sal recently. Or is my memory totally shot?

- Cat

• Like 20

49 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Happy Easter everybody !

thank you Rich and Roy and all contributors to the daily keeping us HAL loyal fans connected ! 

Tony 😍

Bon Voyage! One thing about our recent case of Covid was we never lost our sense of smell. Enjoy!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I hope everyone is having a nice Easter, Passover, or Ramadan. It is really a beautiful day here in NE GA.

Going thru some boxes yesterday I came across a HAL Picture frame:

20220417_105444.thumb.jpg.b349a9f1b2972fc4a5655871832f5124.jpg

If anyone wants it, let me know. It is hard to see but Holland America Line is across the bottom.

Also, because I have been doing the Fleet Report / Daily for quite some time, I have a database of the ships locations for about 4 years. I am probably going to do a search function for it so that you can check past itineraries. I am going to add the itineraries, back to 2001, of the cruises I was on. If anyone has any itineraries they can contribute, just email them to me.

Thanks all!

Rich

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

Happy Easter! Ramadan! And Passover!  May there be peace on earth!

We are still in Joplin!  Big gathering of relatives from all over yesterday  to celebrate Uncle’s 100th birthday!  

wishing your  uncle  a very  happy 100th  birthday.

Jim.

• Like 15

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Happy Easter to all who celebrate.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and our ham is in the oven.  Started a little spring cleanup yesterday. Today I suspect we will take it easy.  I hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 20

Sunny and warmer here. Just right for a fine Easter morning. Hope you all find a wonderful day.... Easter, Ramadan, or Passover. Wish our combined prayers could bring some sanity to the world.

I will have a very low key day. Doing some dog walking later this morning at the shelter. The roof is nearly complete and they swear it will not leak again. We may get some rain later in the week to test it. We are not getting rid of buckets just yet.

Susan

• Like 21

18 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Also, because I have been doing the Fleet Report / Daily for quite some time, I have a database of the ships locations for about 4 years. I am probably going to do a search function for it so that you can check past itineraries. I am going to add the itineraries, back to 2001, of the cruises I was on. If anyone has any itineraries they can contribute, just email them to me.

Thanks all!

Rich

I have a few I can send; what’s your email?

• Like 13

Good morning, all, and Happy Easter! We went to Rarotonga in spring 2020 on the Amsterdam. It was a very bumpy tender ride. In fact ‘tender’ did not describe the experience at all! There is a local bus that circles the island. There are two busses, one going clockwise and the other going counterclockwise. We took the bus to one of the beaches and relaxed on the sand.

Welcome to,the Cook Islands

630F0F51-A39C-4D08-BD4C-DB3DA486BE9C.thumb.jpeg.93b9e19135aa3e167e9cd6d8502b19ce.jpeg

Napping on beach towels,in the sand, guarded by the beach dog that adopted us.

17B358FF-3FFC-4D08-ADB8-75518BD27C4A.thumb.jpeg.0afd01afdaa823daed0b8a31e4244ae0.jpeg

The view from our lounge spot.

185D3DDB-A0D4-4922-9D89-AA531F2BB55F.thumb.jpeg.5ab24a885bf97e6d1d9ec3b93f9eecb9.jpeg

Another beach dog adopted more active visitors and hopped a ride on a paddle board.

EA3B47AE-7532-4FC6-882D-A3A25709CB74.thumb.jpeg.64cde63980076be3facb085714518979.jpeg

DH making the rocky transfer back from the tender.

B8DB5B11-0CF4-4E97-AB4F-63AA474897B6.thumb.jpeg.09beafc4b77db603cc4a334c5f5412da.jpeg

And the rain takes over the island as we prepare to sail away.

924130AE-122E-4686-B945-B75C0A83C9B0.thumb.jpeg.af7ad84c66b72ab164f4ac70403bb767.jpeg

We had our Easter dinner baked ham last night with friends. At least, it was cooked in the Instant Pot. I’ve never done ham that way before. It was the best ham I’ve ever done. You dump a can of pineapple in the bottom of the pot, stir in 2 tablespoons of Thai sweet chilli sauce, and put the ham on top on a trivet. For an 8 - 9 lb ham, pressure cook for 20 minutes and then 30 minutes slow release. Remove the ham and tent with foil. Thicken the sauce with 2tbsp each brown sugar and cornstarch. It was delicious, and the recipe has gone in the keeper file.

This afternoon we have a Zoom meeting with family in the Okanagan, Taiwan, North Vancouver, and Illinois.

Happy Sunday, everyone. In ten days I will finally be back aboard a BHB and seeing these mats underfoot again!

F16C6BB4-362E-4528-B5E0-DCC1680A64BA.thumb.jpeg.a265f438f8cac1a6c28cffbc250d91e7.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all and Happy Easter, Happy Passover, and Happy Ramadan to those who celebrate!

Now I can't get the song "Nothing Like a Dame" from South Pacific out of my head 😉  I see that Maggie Smith and Judy Dench were in a movie "Nothing Like a Dame" filmed in 2018.  I may see about getting that on Netflix, we like both actresses.

I imagine there may be some blah blah blah going on today among neighbors since it will be a beautiful sunny day and most of us will be getting outside to enjoy it.  I remember playing kickball in grade school. Will pass on the wine and drink.  We will be having ham today with scalloped potatoes and asparagus.  I think I'll do a combo of Debbie's @dfishrecipes. I've always done a glaze on ham, my Mom always scored the ham and inserted whole cloves.  But I think I'll do the pineapple and glaze today (minus the cherries). 

We will be in Rarotonga on the Grand Australia in '24, thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisersand Bruce @aliaschieffor the photos!

Happy Birthday Julia @JAM37!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1