HAL Not providing onboard covid testing in Vancouver

Frankly I'm appalled that HAL has changed their end-of-cruise testing policy just as the Alaska season is starting for Canadian departures. On disembarkation day in Vancouver, passengers have enough to think about without having to worry about testing before they leave for the airport !   

Just 2 weeks ago on April 21,  HAL updated their policy and wrote that they would arrange, and cover the cost of,  onboard testing.  This was a sensible and generous policy for the convenience of their guests, and would make leaving the ship and heading to the airport nearly seamless. 

I wonder what changed back at HAL HQ.  

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, kangforpres said:

…Does that mean for a fee they will test you onboard?…

One would think they wouldn’t miss an “opportunity” to make money on this (although undoubtedly some will purchase an internet plan for tele-health testing in good faith that the connection will be strong—if the circumstances are beyond their control, couldn’t they provide a window of free internet time for those affected? They can control that), but it would appear the issue is an effort to avoid knowing about—and therefore having to report— positive cases onboard and all the associated ramifications.

I really feel for everyone who took HAL at their word about providing the tests and booked in good faith that there would be one less hassle! HAL needs to honor their word to those who booked prior to the change in policy.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it is crazy that Holland America has changed their policy so early on in the Alaska season.  Or was it all just a marketing ploy to get people to book Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver and to satisfy the Canadian Authorities on paper?

No matter their motive, I am not going to let it ruin my first vacation in 2 years.  We are just going to take the transfer to the Seattle airport and fly out of there.  Long coach ride but no test needed going through a land border crossing.  The cost of the covid test at the airport is the cost of the transfer.  

Sometimes you just have to sway like a palm tree.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Earlier this week we heard about the long security lines at Vancouver airport and now the same day testing on your own to get back to US (from Vancouver)!  JUMP JUMP JUMP!  I wonder if the Canadian officials are doing this stuff on purpose??

What EXACTLY do "Canadian Officials" have to do with the requirements of the United States. If testing was still a Canadian Requirement for testing then that would be on "Canadian Officials". The current situation is exacerbated by staffing issues.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 6

This is a huge concern, not only for those searching for a way to test, but even more so for someone who might get the test done and have a positive result whether it is real or a false positive.  This could ruin 

your entire vacation.  Though we are booked out of Vancouver, I will now be looking for a Seattle departure as it is not too late for us.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

…I presume whole Carnival family now has the new policy.

Interesting timing of this HAL announcement. These news stories here and here about Carnival Spirit’s recent sailing that ended Tuesday, 5/3, were not good PR for the company.

I have a trip ending in Montreal in August. Last night, I changed my flight to leave the day after disembarking and ordered the Emed tests so we can do them at the hotel and not be rushed. It now costs us the price of the tests and a night in a hotel but I think this makes it not feel so rushed and we get a day to Enjoy Montreal. 

Edited by Andi Land
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TransOceanCruiser said:

Or was it all just a marketing ploy to get people to book Alaskan cruises out of Vancouver and to satisfy the Canadian Authorities on paper?

HAL offering post-cruise testing is a complete non-issue for Canadian authorities, as is HAL's decision not to.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

It is not a cruise line decision to have a negative covid test to fly back to the USA.  Blame our government.  You can drive but not fly.  Kinda silly, I think.

Why blame the government for trying to protect the public health?  Sorry for your inconvenience.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

I have a trip ending in Montreal in August. Last night, I changed my flight to leave the day after disembarking and ordered the Emed tests so we can do them at the hotel and not be rushed. It now costs us the price of the tests and a night in a hotel but I think this makes it not feel so rushed and we get a day to Enjoy Montreal. 

Great attitude! While I realize that not everyone can afford (time or money) to add an extra day to get around the problems created by HAL's decision, it's refreshing to see someone just accept it and make the best of it. Good for you!

• Like 3

Before you change your travel plans, I just saw the following article on Yahoo Finance, which could change the whole situation:

"Travel industry leaders are hopeful the Biden administration will finally end a major COVID-era hassle for Americans traveling abroad and for international travelers who want to visit the United States: A negative COVID test within 24 hours of boarding a U.S.-bound flight.

That requirement has been in effect since late last year, when the Biden administration ended a ban on travel into the United States from a variety of countries and replaced it with the negative-test requirement. At first, the rule said travelers could show a negative test within 72 hours of their departure time, but that was tightened to 24 hours. While it’s a worry for Americans traveling abroad, who might get stuck overseas while recovering from COVID, it’s a bigger barrier for foreigners who want to come to the United States: Booking a trip means risking a wrecked itinerary if a positive COVID test prevents them from even arriving.

The skies may soon brighten. “We are optimistic this requirement will be lifted by summer, so we can get the benefit of all the international in-bound travelers,” Christine Duffy, chair of the U.S. Travel Association and president of Carnival Cruise Lines, told Yahoo Finance at the recent Milken Institute annual conference in Beverly Hills. “The Commerce Dept. has been working closely with the travel industry and the administration is aware of the issue.”

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 2

This is a huge fail on the part of the US government.  This policy is not hurting Canada, it is hurting all of the ports in Alaska that benefit from people visiting on cruise ships.  People are going to cancel their cruise, and then these ports are going to suffer financially.  

I plan on writing my senators in Illinois and letting them know how I feel about this.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, quack2 said:

Why blame the government for trying to protect the public health?  Sorry for your inconvenience.

I believe this is mostly political.  If there was such a concern for public health then people driving across the border would also have to get a test.  It is a mess created by the incompetence of the US government.  

• Like 8

I just got done writing an email to my senator explaining why this policy is ridiculous.  

I think the appropriate thing for HAL and other cruise  to do is to offer passengers the option to pay for a test so they do not have to stress out running around Vancouver to get tested.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, steve4031 said:

This is a huge fail on the part of the US government.  This policy is not hurting Canada, it is hurting all of the ports in Alaska that benefit from people visiting on cruise ships.  People are going to cancel their cruise, and then these ports are going to suffer financially.  

I plan on writing my senators in Illinois and letting them know how I feel about this.  

Here is an interesting article on how the Canadian NHL teams in the Stanley Cup Playoffs are avoiding this US requirement:  https://onemileatatime.com/news/canadian-hockey-teams-dodge-covid-19-testing/

I’ve also heard MLB teams playing in Toronto are doing the same after those series.

For us, its likely going to be too late and too expensive to change our flights home from Vancouver to Seattle, but I admire the ingenuity displayed here.

Edited by 2inSETexas

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Before you change your travel plans, I just saw the following article on Yahoo Finance, which could change the whole situation:

"Travel industry leaders are hopeful the Biden administration will finally end a major COVID-era hassle for Americans traveling abroad and for international travelers who want to visit the United States: A negative COVID test within 24 hours of boarding a U.S.-bound flight.

That requirement has been in effect since late last year, when the Biden administration ended a ban on travel into the United States from a variety of countries and replaced it with the negative-test requirement. At first, the rule said travelers could show a negative test within 72 hours of their departure time, but that was tightened to 24 hours. While it’s a worry for Americans traveling abroad, who might get stuck overseas while recovering from COVID, it’s a bigger barrier for foreigners who want to come to the United States: Booking a trip means risking a wrecked itinerary if a positive COVID test prevents them from even arriving.

The skies may soon brighten. “We are optimistic this requirement will be lifted by summer, so we can get the benefit of all the international in-bound travelers,” Christine Duffy, chair of the U.S. Travel Association and president of Carnival Cruise Lines, told Yahoo Finance at the recent Milken Institute annual conference in Beverly Hills. “The Commerce Dept. has been working closely with the travel industry and the administration is aware of the issue.”

I’ve seen similar stories earlier, but summer is here and there is no public indication that anything is happening. At the same the travel industry is pressuring for change, most cruise ships sailing under CDC guidance are Orange, and cases are ticking up across the country. 

One can only hope; otherwise, travel will remain difficult for this season - perhaps beyond.

US entry guidelines may change but when? Remember it was a Federal Judge's order to get rid of the mask mandate on public transit, not the CDC or TSA.  Now cases are back up 67k and day, there were down to under 30k a day when the transportation mask mandate was still in effect.

-Paul

• Like 1

I talked to my PCC yesterday and today (adding the HIA to my Alaska bookings) and was very vocal about the fact that people had booked Vancouver sailings believing they wouldn't have to worry about the return-to-US testing because HAL had it covered.

Of course, he could only apologize and say that all the Covid stuff was subject to change at any time.

And, we know that.  At least I have a couple of weeks to be sure I have my tests lines up. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Babr said:

I’ve seen similar stories earlier, but summer is here and there is no public indication that anything is happening. At the same the travel industry is pressuring for change, most cruise ships sailing under CDC guidance are Orange, and cases are ticking up across the country. 

One can only hope; otherwise, travel will remain difficult for this season - perhaps beyond.

I agree that it is still up in the air on when this will happen (if ever).  I just wanted to bring it up so that everyone can consider it for their situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andi Land said:

Yes!  I travelled from Vancouver to Long Beach in February to cruise on the Carnival Panorama.  At that time Canada was still requiring a PCR test to fly home (not just Antigen).  We changed our flight and stayed the extra night after disembarking the ship.  Totally worth it to reduce the stress and feeling rushed of getting it done the same day.  It you have the flexibility and are able to do that (I know not everybody can) it it definitely worth it. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 11:07 AM, Hlitner said:

All  the comments are fine but why the Big Lie from HAL about circumstances beyond their control.  They certainly can administer Antigen tests if they wanted to offer the tests.  Seabourn, who is part of the HAL group, had no problem providing those tests on the Ovation to disembarking guests who wanted the tests when we disembarked at Lisbon or Monte Carlo.  If HAL “chooses”,not to provide testing that is one thing, but to claim lack of testing is beyond their control is a pile of you know what.

Hank

Seabourn is a luxury cruise line.  HAL is not.