Do the crew members still need toiletries and such?

On my last cruise (Rotterdam, 12/01/21), I gave cash to my cabin stewards on embarkation day. I asked them and the morning buffet servers, at every port, if they needed anything ashore. All politely said no. I bought our cabin stewards chocolate bars at a candy factory on St. Lucia. They said thanks and smiled a lot. I hope they liked them.

4 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

The first thing he talked about was SIM cards with prepaid internet as being the most requested and sought after item. And he did talk about NBA jerseys being very very popular among the crew members. 

And how do you know the right size sim card for your crew member?  Again, $$$$ is best so they can order exactly what they need.

• Like 1

you def want to ask what they need. here are 2 screenshots from a cruise behind the scenes show i just watched. 2 girls in this tiny cabin with bunks and barely enough room to both stand there at the same time. 

crew cabinet.PNG

crew bathroom.PNG

13 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

you def want to ask what they need. here are 2 screenshots from a cruise behind the scenes show i just watched. 2 girls in this tiny cabin with bunks and barely enough room to both stand there at the same time. 

crew cabinet.PNG

crew bathroom.PNG

If they don't have enough space for what they already have, why would you consider giving them more?

Just give cash, they are grown-ups.

• Like 2

Watch the documentary on a cable channel about the Diamond princess.  Look at the crews dresser drawers.  Filled with stuff.  Yes this was precovid but it shows you they dont have room for things.  It may make you feel better but you put them in a situation where they either can't refuse or refuse in a way that you will ***** about later.  You also set a precedent where this is acceptable for everyone.  A nice thank you card plus cash and a positive review helps them more.  People act like these crew are chained to their beds and rooms.  Many of them took these assignments post covid sailings especially now since I THINK they have 8 month contracts (could be wrong about the time).  People can do as they wish but think about when everyone would get gifts for teachers.  Most of them went into the trash.  Now imagine cleaning lets say 30 rooms for 5 day cruises and everyone gives you googly eyes, candy, sim card...  Where are they supposed to put it?  When I worked in the hospital on the pediatric floor, I got to know parents.  They would send us flowers about 5% of the time after the stay.  1% a card.  The biggest reward we could get is positive feedback on the survey or someone praising you to the nurse manager.  I'd rather have that then a candy bar.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Crew members are adults that accept the job on the ship, just like anyone else.   They are not little children, who get happy with tiny little gifts (note they will smile and say thank you, but really don't mean it since they are in the hospitality business).  They know how to shop and get stuff.  They don't want a gift care, they want CASH.  That is how they get paid.  When you get off the ship, they don't care who you are, and the stuff gets tossed.  Or they use it in poker games in place of money....I'll raise you one toothpaste for the candy bar

Well, according to one poster there is a crew member who needs dark chocolate. That one made me shake my head.

44 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Now imagine cleaning lets say 30 rooms for 5 day cruises and everyone gives you googly eyes, candy, sim card...  Where are they supposed to put it? 

oh, yeah, sim cards take up A LOT OF SPACE. What an unreasonable gift!

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

You know, they do have wifi, and getting a sims card is like getting a gift card.  They are adults, who work for a paycheck....and cash tips.....not little gifts, that they might want, or not but is an extra level of pain to use......CASH for the adults, and leave all cute little gifts for the kids at home

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you are completely missing the point of my response.  I included sim card as an example of a gift.  Also what if crew has new phones which don't take sim cards???  

20 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Authentic (not  knockoff) sport jerseys are a valuable commodity that can be resold or as trade goods in many parts of the world. Toothpaste and chocolate bars, not so much.

Exactly... Turned into cash!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Along with a $2 bill. 😉

Don't make fun of $2.00 guy. I think I saw him and his vanity plate in Fort Lauderdale several months ago. 🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20220510-093704_Gallery.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jean87510 said:

you are completely missing the point of my response.  I included sim card as an example of a gift.  Also what if crew has new phones which don't take sim cards???  

I’m bringing my old Blackberry to give away. (Sarcasm Font on😉)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Funny, quick story. Many years ago, on Song of America, we were on the shuttle bus back to port from one of the Mexico port stops. 

The Activities Director boarded carrying this huge (kind of heavy) box, that he put down in the seat next to him. He was right in front of us, and I asked what it was. He said, "Mexican tiled sink". :classic_smile:

After further conversation, he had collected about 30 of them, and he was storing them in an empty crew cabin next to his own. :classic_biggrin:

He planned to sell them when he returned to the UK.

I've always wondered how that turned out. :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure any main stream model has eliminated the SIM slot yet, but:

What Is an eSIM? Here's Everything You Need to Know | Digital Trends

Thanks.

Something tells me that the cruise staff who work for "minimum wage" may not have the latest and greatest in phone technology.

P.S. My mom is still using my old Galaxy S5. She too worked a minimum wage job until her retirement several years ago.

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Thanks.

Something tells me that the cruise staff who work for "minimum wage" may not have the latest and greatest in phone technology.

P.S. My mom is still using my old Galaxy S5. She too worked a minimum wage job until her retirement several years ago.

The minimum wage based on the USA?  Many employees make 3 times more money in one contract than they make all year at home.  But they want cash and only cash

• Like 1