What would you bring in a "Covid Kit"?

pauon

As many of us are returning to cruising, what would you bring to make dealing with Covid and the potential for Covid easier.   I am asking what would you bring to, hopefully,  help prevent catch it, what you are bringing if you do,  and what would you bring in case you or someone with you were with suddenly got sent to quarantine.  Not looking for a political or medical discussion, just what would you travel with that you didn't bring before.  I,  for one, will be bringing my computer (which I have never done) to have a little bigger screen to see, entertainment, and looking for hotels, flights, or info in case we might get stuck someplace (on or off the ship).

• Like 3

Won’t bring with, but will definitely keep two flatware sets in cabin in case of quarantine..can’t stand plastic (or especially) bamboo forks!  Will also make sure there are two real wine glasses stashed!

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 18

I pack a bunch more "stuff" than I usually do:

Alka Seltzer Cold

Cough Drops

Tylenol

Nyquil

Therma Flu

Snacks - I've never packed snacks before, but now I do for the "just in case"

Silverware - I snag some from the buffet on day one and keep them in my room.   

Covid Tests

• Like 4

Given what I know now with my family recovering from COVID following our recent Alaska cruise, in addition to things like masks and tests I would suggest:

Dayquil and Nyquil

Advil

Excedrin (some people get headaches)

Throat lozenges

Zinc lozenge

Vitamins C and D

Tissue

Also, have a quarantine plan in place if traveling internationally - we had actually investigated the option of driving home from Vancouver if we had tested positive before our flight, which thankfully we did not. If that isn’t an option, plan for the fact your return home might be delayed. Take your work computer with you, make sure you have your pets and house covered if your trip gets extended and take plenty extra of any required medication. If you have any concerns about serious illness, talk with your physician before you leave to consider your best medical course of action should you test positive. 

It’s a bummer to have to think of all these things when you just want to relax and enjoy your vacation, but it is the current reality. 

• Like 7

Tylenol, advil, pepto, cold medicine, cough drops, vicks vapo rub, nasal spray, tagamet, and a 30 day supply of our prescription meds (in original bottles).  We also start taking immune support gummies about 5 days prior, all during and 5 days post cruise. I also wipe everything down with disinfectant wipes at the beginning.  But we have done this for every cruise (26 cruises on various lines, Caribbean and Europe).  Because of covid, I am adding hand sanitizer, liquid pump soap for the bathroom, masks ( both disposable and cloth)and extra sanitizing wipes and extra covid tests.  As a retired nurse, I guess I'm a little anal-retentive.

Edited by bafinegan
  • Like 10

I've started packing a quarantine kit and have expanded on it as I've learned from others.  My kit  includes the following, some things I've always taken, some are new:

Two-three weeks of extra prescription medication 

Prepackaged trail mix, dried fruit, nuts, granola bars, etc

Over the counter cold medicines and fever reducers 

Extra clean underwear (in case of quarantine on land) 

Zip lock baggies -- to store non perishable snacks I pick up on the ship

Lots of books downloaded on my iPad 

Small container of dish soap

Lysol wipes and lots of masks and plenty of hand sanitizer 

Wine opener / beer opener 

CoVid tests 

Separate travel sized toiletries for each person in the cabin (toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash, dental floss, etc) -- comes in handy if one person gets quarantined in a different cabin 

Things I get for my room while on the ship:

Milk for the fridge 

Bowl of fruit for the room

Two sets of silverware and two wine glasses 

Two extra towels and boxes of tissues for the room 

Ever since 9/11, we've taken many of these items with us anyway.  We also try to have a back up plan in place in case we need to get home while keeping others safe in case we do contract CoVid or are simply stuck elsewhere due to flight delays, etc.  Thus, since CoVid, we haven't even been tempted to cruise to or from anywhere we couldn't easily drive back home.  No overseas travel for us during the pandemic.  It just doesn't even sound desirable for us at this stage of our lives.  Fortunately, we live near a port and can drive to a few other ports in case we aren't able to board a plane.  

With that being said, we've been on several cruises since the restart and think cruising is one of the safest activities we could engage in.  We are just planners ... oddly enough, we do pack pretty light.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

pre-cruise - start hydrating and self-medicating - 🥃

during cruise - continue with above 🥃

post cruise - see pre-cruise above 🥃

and in addition to above ... well she takes care of all that - always did - way before covid ... I'm guessing the only thing we. err she, has added is possibly more days of extra meds, and masks, of course...

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I bring all of the above items that everyone has listed.  We always have the regular bandages, tape, etc. for first aid, but the throat lozenges, cold medicine and cough drops are standard now.

We will continue to wear our masks when on board.  Was hoping by June (next cruise) that things would have improved, but in southern California, things are on the rise again.

• Like 4

At first, I was going to say nothing different at all than normal for a long time away.  I suppose we may bring a few extra med pills and supplements (we would likely have a week extra in any case).  We usually have some snacks on hand.  I like the idea of borrowing a couple sets of cutlery from the World Market.  Always have wine glasses in the cabin.  We generally have some extra things in a situation like being away for 41 days. 

As for Covid, the only thing I can think of us doing is having some Antigen tests if still need a proctored test pre-cruise or pre-flight home.

Great suggestions and I will make sure to pack these things for our land tour/cruise. I also plan to bring zinc tablets (start taking before going as stated above) and take one every day. Maybe a multiple vitamin, too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I've started packing a quarantine kit and have expanded on it as I've learned from others.  My kit  includes the following, some things I've always taken, some are new:

Two-three weeks of extra prescription medication 

Prepackaged trail mix, dried fruit, nuts, granola bars, etc

Over the counter cold medicines and fever reducers 

Extra clean underwear (in case of quarantine on land) 

Zip lock baggies -- to store non perishable snacks I pick up on the ship

Lots of books downloaded on my iPad 

Small container of dish soap

Lysol wipes and lots of masks and plenty of hand sanitizer 

Wine opener / beer opener 

CoVid tests 

Separate travel sized toiletries for each person in the cabin (toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash, dental floss, etc) -- comes in handy if one person gets quarantined in a different cabin 

Things I get for my room while on the ship:

Milk for the fridge 

Bowl of fruit for the room

Two sets of silverware and two wine glasses 

Two extra towels and boxes of tissues for the room 

Ever since 9/11, we've taken many of these items with us anyway.  We also try to have a back up plan in place in case we need to get home while keeping others safe in case we do contract CoVid or are simply stuck elsewhere due to flight delays, etc.  Thus, since CoVid, we haven't even been tempted to cruise to or from anywhere we couldn't easily drive back home.  No overseas travel for us during the pandemic.  It just doesn't even sound desirable for us at this stage of our lives.  Fortunately, we live near a port and can drive to a few other ports in case we aren't able to board a plane.  

With that being said, we've been on several cruises since the restart and think cruising is one of the safest activities we could engage in.  We are just planners ... oddly enough, we do pack pretty light.  

Thank you, I really like your list. You may want to add an expectorant cough syrup to that. That’s the first thing that the ER prescribed to me but you can get them over the counter too.

• Like 2

To prevent:  Wipes to wipe down room, remote, and so on, masks, nitric oxide nasal spray, and additional covid tests to take before we leave the ship so that if we are positive, the ship is responsible for the arrangements.

To deal with:  Pulse ox, thermometer, throat lozenges, and decongestants and motrin/tylenol for kids and adults, small thing of dish soap and laundry soap, extra Rx meds, and snacks.  We don't normally pack much in the way of snacks, but will make sure to have some on us as we've heard room service can be slow or impossible to get through for those quarantining.  

To grab onboard:  Extra flatware/cups.

• Like 2

What I'm carrying on:

> ihealth covid test (will report if positive)

> wine 

> butter crackers from Trader Joe's

> Tylenol (I can skip multi vitamin if nec)

> cards

> sudoku book just in case i lose wifi

> flowers in case I sequester

Getting from ship on embarkation day:

> sealed yogurts

> asst fruit

> orange herbal tea bags

> cookies

> 3 extra key lime desserts 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhotoGal07 said:

To prevent:  Wipes to wipe down room, remote, and so on, masks, nitric oxide nasal spray, and additional covid tests to take before we leave the ship..

Are you getting the spray on-line or is it available locally where you live?

Some of this has always been in our go bag when we travel:

-At least 2 extra weeks of prescription meds

-extra hand sanitizer and wipes

-cough syrup/drops

-thermometer

-covid tests and will self report if positive

-extra movies and tv shows downloaded

-extra books on e-readers

-liquid soap 

-laptop if need to research alt. travel or to have bigger screen for media to watch

-power bars

-over the counter meds (we did this previously), including dental temp in event of tooth problem

-extra masks

-power adapters for countries we visit in event we have to leave the ship there

-corkscrew (will get wine glasses first day from room service)

-will get fruit from buffet to keep in cabin

We have been on 5 cruises since the restart.  Have our first one in June starting from outside the US.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, montgomeryfamily said:

Are you getting the spray on-line or is it available locally where you live?

On-line.  A friend who's a doctor pointed me to the study.  While it's efficacy needs more studies to truly confirm, doc seemed confident that it wouldn't hurt, especially before heading to crowded places like the airport, dining rooms, and shows.  

15 minutes ago, PhotoGal07 said:

On-line.  A friend who's a doctor pointed me to the study.  While it's efficacy needs more studies to truly confirm, doc seemed confident that it wouldn't hurt, especially before heading to crowded places like the airport, dining rooms, and shows.  

I thought this spray was used heavily in India and Asia to fight the viral load from reaching your lungs, from what I read.

Not approved in the US, but studies are on going.

I would check with your Dr for advice, before buying.  Make sure it is right for you and the meds you may be taking.  JMO

• Like 2

Puffs (or other lotion-included) tissues.  On my last cruise I had a runny nose for days (turns out it was covid, not allergies) and those tissues they give you are murder after a day or two of constantly wiping your nose. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2