The Daily for Tuesday 06/07/2022

richwmn

Today is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day, June Bug Day, and Daniel Boone Day

There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.--Linda Grayson

Meal Suggestion for today - Pressure-Cooker Beef Carnitas
Drink of the Day - Sauza Strawberry Sparkler
Wine of the Day - Dow's 2015 Late Bottled Vintage (Port)
Destination of the Day - Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Zuiderdam   Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06/08

Cherbourg, France

Nieuw Statendam   07:00 - 17:00

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord

Rotterdam   07:00 - 15:00

Giardini-Naxos, Taormina, Sicily Italy

Oosterdam   08:00 - 23:00

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Noordam   08:30 - 18:30

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska

Eurodam   07:00 - 16:00

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 15:00

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada

Zaandam   08:00 - 17:00

Skagway, Alaska

Koningsdam   07:00 - 20:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Seattle, WA

Westerdam  

0607World.thumb.png.f98496cb29f28bc88a8998c7919530bc.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute Daniel Boone and pass on the other 2 days.  Taiwain is on my bucket list but I doubt it will ever happen.  Great statement by Grayson.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Canaletto Salad, Sauteed Veal Picatta, and Pistachio Gelato as served on MS Prinsendam June 7, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Sharon Dh  with covid
Melinda with stage 4 cancer
Heartgrove older sister in hospice nearing the end
Heartgrove brother continuing problems in rehab
Buddy with continuing problems
Dismomx5 and DH in covid quarantine but feeling better
From the rotation:
1Angelcat facing expensive medicines
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Strength, peace, and healing for kazu
Cruzin Terri with continuing health problems

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 Days for Westerdam
Volendam housing refugees
Welcome home Cruising-along
Dfish productively following discharge instructions
Kochleffel starting to feel better
1  day for travelingbums (Jewel of the Seas, June 8-20)
4 days for Oceansaway17(Allure OTS 6/11 to 6/18)
5 days for Mister67 (Equinox 6/12 to 6/18)
6 days for VMAX1700 (Oosterdam 6/13 to 6/25)
StPeteCruiser (Nieuw Statendam to 6/10), Sharon in AZ (Oosterdam  to 6/13 + 6 days Venice) and StLouisCruisers and kb4683(Island Princess  to 6/29) at sea
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from a very rainy Southern Ontario.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love chocolate ice cream. 🙂  Not a fan of June bugs. 

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink and the wine. 🙂

I've never been to Taiwan, thanks in advance for pictures.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all who celebrate something.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good afternoon from a cloudy 52°F North East coast of England.

Thank you Rich and Roy for today's daily and lists.

Excellent quote especially as I have been a chocolate representative for 35 years.

Today's food sounds nice but I will give the drink a miss.

Wishing everyone who is unwell a speedy recovery.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220607_114352.jpg

Screenshot_20220607_115915.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Chocolate is a favorite of mine, so I keep very little, if any,  in the house. A salute to Daniel Boone. 

Love the quote. The meal sounds great.

It's a beautiful, sunny start to our Tuesday here. Calling for a thunderstorm around 4:00 which is how it was every day in the summers when I was growing up in Central Florida; we could knew what time it was when the storm hit. It is more sporadic these days... yesterday it happened around 2:00.

Take care and have a wonderful Wednesday. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 32

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and lists and recipes.  What a nice collection of days.  I used to love to watch the ducks chasing after June Bugs in the middle of the night when I was a night auditor.  The quote ties in nicely with chocolate ice cream. The meal and drink sound delicious.  Haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Have a nice Tuesday. 🌞

• Like 31

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! It is a glorious morning here, so Bindi & I went for an extra long morning walk. We had a decent amount of rain yesterday. Enough to lower my pool’s water temp three degrees.  

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyites. Yesterday, I finally got to do a cardio class that I have been trying to get to do since I joined the new gym. It was amazing.  Talk about intense. But I felt energized the entire rest of the day. I don’t do the jumping moves, but I still got a great workout. I was happy I stopped at Ace Hardware before going to the gym, because I was not fit to be seen in a store after that class. 😎

Any Trekkies out there?

FAC46488-81DF-4E45-B29D-E66FDBFCAED1.jpeg.a4c78a00dcb42c3f481d4b0db147c590.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Dow's 2015 Late Bottled Vintage

This port is very reasonably priced, and all released vintages share the same excellent ratings. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $15.97.

Winemaker Notes

Deep purple with an opaque centre. Exuberant aromas of blackberry and liquorice are complemented by subtle notes of cocoa and mint. There is also a floral element (roses), which reflects the significant Touriga Franca component of the blend. On the palate, the wine is full and broad with remarkable concentration and intensity, held together by a fine structure, which is underpinned by fine, peppery tannins. The wine has a long, spicy finish with Dow’s trademark drier edge.

This 2015 Late Bottled Vintage (LBV) shares the same provenance with Dow’s legendary Vintage Ports, namely the Quinta do Bomfim and Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira vineyards, which have been owned by Dow’s since the late 19th century. Five generations of Symington family winemakers have tended these vineyards, deriving from them Dow’s distinctive wine profile, characterised by intense, structured wines with fresh black fruit flavors, peppery tannins and a hallmark drier style. The grapes from both properties were trodden in the on-site modern lagares, which equip the Quinta do Bomfim and Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira wineries.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast

With the dryness typical of this producer, this is a densely textured Port that will certainly age well. It has great structure as well as dark fruits that have blackberry jelly flavors. This LBV can be drunk now, but it will surely benefit from the few more months until 2022.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone!

Slept really well last night.  It is so nice to not be woken up with a horrific pain in my side.  I think I could used to this!   Not much on the agenda today except getting in my laps around the block in between rain drops.  No strong storms that I know of coming through, but that can change.  

Today's meal is a bit more substantial than yesterday's, but yesterday's was fun!   The carnitas look really good.  Makes me want to go buy an Instant Pot.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pressure-cooker-beef-carnitas/

717466931_beefcarnitas1.jpg.eb16e9f10aa6749445ebc3dc3126bae9.jpg

The carnitas are very versatile.  You can add the spices you like best or leave out the ones you don't want.  You can put them in a tortilla or over rice or in salads or just eat it in a bowl.  https://www.asaucykitchen.com/beef-instant-pot-carnitas/

1181199776_beefcarnitas2.thumb.jpg.72b9fa2d308a150d4100c51f5ca97d82.jpg

Without the tortilla and rice, beef carnitas are low carb and fit into a low carb diet very well.  You can keep them that way by serving them in a lettuce wrap.   https://pastrychefonline.com/smoky-beef-carnitas/

1671581968_beefcarnitas4.jpg.5a2a5d0806c9a7326422a5ef78758dd1.jpg

173993890_beefcarnitas3.thumb.jpg.7441f922dff2c000b142100e0a4fc54f.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members who are struggling with challenges.   Cheers to all who are celebrating!  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 8

Good morning all. Thanks Rich for The Fleet Report.

I have been to Taipei but any photos are on old slides. Beautiful city and surrounding countryside.

Got my goal steps in yesterday but it’s the time of year that your soaked in sweat afterwards. I rather walk in heat then cold.

I believe we are going on a lunch date. Probably a local waterfront restaurant overlooking the bay and marina.

After my walk I plan a little yard work. Yesterday I got some plants in around the mailbox. Not getting any hanging planters as we won’t be around much this summer to water and maintain.

Roy thanks for the Care list and may all of you have a pleasant day.

• Like 32

Good Morning Dailyites!

I had a very nice breakfast with the old bosses yesterday.  I guess since there was no regrets or food throwing arguments, perhaps we can do this again once a month, like we did after we all got laid off.  

My flowers in the front garden which normally bloom in early July, and look great in time for the 4th, are starting to bloom now.  How strange.  I saw last night while watching Springwatch, that birds are laying their eggs earlier in the year, and that is one affect of global warming.

The only thing that is constant, is change.  While I was feeling all safe and secure working two campaigns for the same boss, that changed within 3 hours....I got a text about when training would start for the campaign we were told we were on, only to be moved to another campaign with a new boss.  So I got trained last night, we went over the script, asked our questions, and "new" boss will get the answers for us sometime today, and then, we start calling.  So I did miss some work hours yesterday, but I'm ready to get to work today.  After a walk.

933825ec9fc5894a96b5e38b731bf9f4.png

captions-caramel-cats-chocolate-coffee-diet-flavors-ice-cream-rocky-road-vanilla-6438474496

• Like 29
  • Haha 6

Good morning everyone. Love chocolate ice cream and the quote. After spending Sunday in the ERvwith terrible back pain requiring 2 novacaine bshots, Sam walked a mile around Princeton yesterday showing the aide the university campus and stopping for ice cream.

Have a safe day everyone,

Carol 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas.  It is currently 76F and cloudy, but that will change.  The sun is supposed to be out by 10 am with a high of 98F this afternoon.  I'm planning on being out mowing early.

@richwmn  Rich, you had me at chocolate ice cream day, since it is my favorite.  Daniel Boone was an interesting person in our country's history.   I cannot celebrate June bugs because in their larvae stage as grub worms, they can wreck havoc in the grass.  I hope this doesn't jinx us, but we haven't seem June bugs in a couple of years.

Of course being a chocolate lover, I like today’s quote.

The meal looks interesting, but we'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have been to Keelung and Taipei one in 2018 on Coral Princess.  I'll look for pictures, but it may be after I finish the yard and then have a shower.

@travelingbums  BON VOYAGE tomorrow.  Have a great cruise.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm very happy you are able to get a good night's sleep now.

@marshhawk  Ann, I hope the new campaign and new boss work out for you.

@mamaofami  Carol, that is great news that Sam could get out yesterday and show the aide Princeton.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 31

Good morning.  Love the quote.  Will celebrate chocolate ice cream day when our neighborhood ice cream shop opens at noon.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Sauza Strawberry Sparkler:

Ingredients
6 parts Sauza® Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
2 parts DeKuyper® Strawberry Patch Schnapps Liqueur
12 parts chilled Rose Champagne
4 parts Limeade
1 pint Strawberries
2 tbsp. Sugar
1 wedge Lime

Instructions
Wash, stem, quarter and freeze strawberries for at least 1 hour (can be done the day ahead). Run a wedge of lime around the rim of your champagne flute and dip in a plate of sugar to coat rim. Repeat until all glasses are prepared. Place 3 frozen strawberries in the bottom of each prepared flute. Open champagne and pour glasses approximately 2/3 of the way full. In a shaker filled with ice, combine tequila, limeade, and strawberry liquor. Shake. Add a squeeze of fresh lime if desired. Top each glass with the cocktail and serve immediately.
Serves 10.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 8.24.34 AM.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

I found a few pictures from our day in Keelung and Taipei that I posted on February 1, 2022.  It was not the port of the day, but my post was in answer to another post that mentioned Taipei.

We visited Taipei in 2018, and were lucky to have a clear day.  The views from the Taipei 101 Tower were amazing.   When looking at the tower, it looks like it was built upside down.

This is a view from the tower.

DSC04777.thumb.JPG.41ba1b78e1e49794f69a2f1f1db65c8c.JPG

This is the ballast that helps lessen the swaying of the building in high winds. 

DSC04788.thumb.JPG.a1baf5cc53799a43f800005884776776.JPG

We took a taxi from Keelung into Taipei, then the train back.  From the train station we walked to the night market.  We find Chinese night markets very interesting. 

DSC04866.thumb.JPG.14641e58c7a9b81e6d5179a1d836fa60.JPG

DSC04867.thumb.JPG.d17df4c242a30456e2ed7cb7004e4454.JPG

These are a few that I posted in February 2021, before we had a port of the day.  

After we left the Taipei 101 Tower, we too the ho-ho.  We stopped at the National Chiang Kai-shek Memorial.  There was a big gathering where the children could do different activities and have them checked off on a form.  To keep the parents there, at the end of the afternoon, there was a drawing where they gave away ten cars.

Chiang Kei-shek Memorial.  We did not go inside though.

DSC04837.thumb.JPG.1f4bf5eb76f9efac407f0ec17728efe1.JPG

The crowds

DSC04831.thumb.JPG.caf9ae936bd237fbc35d775daeaafe5d.JPG

DSC04832.thumb.JPG.a6b2f4e4ab9906e893c20f3872d4f75d.JPG

Lenda

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Yesterdays storms came out of nowhere., but it is that time of year! 

I like ice cream of any flavor. I remember my brothers having Daniel Boone hats when we were growing up.

Never been to  todays port.

We got some very good news yesterday about my sister. She finished her chemo treatments a short time ago. Yesterday she had all the scans and blood tests repeated. They are all clear!! We are so happy . She has to have more tests in August but we are hopeful that she will be ok.  Funny thing is her hair has started to grow back and it is jet black and straight. She was always a curly haired blond. She is grateful for any as she does not like the wigs.   I saw her at the wedding in April but she did not come to the last one. The Doctor advised her against flying.  

Be safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 30

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a cool and sunny day here but tomorrow is rainy.

The Daniel Boone homestead is here in Berks county and it’s part of the state museum system. The school district in the area is named after him.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️

• Like 25

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good @dfish pictures and recipes make me hungry.  Another beautiful morning here in NE with rain in the forecast.  We have chocolate ice cream in the freezer so maybe that will be tonight’s treat.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

image.png.7318721d3c784fd50548959cf59f0d95.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 8

Good morning.  52 degrees and sunny. The new solar panels are really doing great.  We are going to level the dock and I am going to get rid of some weed seeds with my string trimmer. 

A winner on drink, wine and meal.  Prayers for the people in Ukraine Putin is attacking more areas and destroying stored foodstuffs.  We need to come to some solutions to stop the slaughter of school children. Prayers for all on Roy's care list. 🙏

My sisters are coming to the lake today staying at my younger sister's cabin. It will be nice to have people around.  Very quiet on the the lake this summer.  Some photos of my garden downstate, plants I never see in bloom. Have a wonderful day!

5532.jpeg

5534.jpeg

5425 (1).jpeg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1