The Daily for Tuesday 06/14/2022

richwmn

Good morning. We have a busy day ahead of us with several appointments and I also have a dental cleaning this afternoon.

Prefer my martini non dirty. 
It’s going to be another humid and hot day. Skipping  my walk as need to get ready for first appointment. 

Prayers for all and a big thank you for the fleet Report. With all the dread going on in the world I hope the Fleet survives as well as all of us who love to sail on them!

Enjoy the day.

• Like 30

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Flag Day to my American friends.  I used to be a blood donor, will have to look into doing that again.  I haven't had a bath in a very long time - showers are so much quicker.  I'll pass on the bourbon.

Late yesterday afternoon we prepared for an evening thunderstorm by getting the candles ready, making sure there was propane for the barbecue in case the power went out, etc.  What a letdown!  DH and I sat on the deck, drinks in hand (port for him, scotch for moi), and all we heard was a few rumbles and saw some sheet lightning.  It seems the storm was like the Red Sea - it parted and went around us.  We haven't had a good storm for a number of years; we love sitting on the deck listening to the rumbles, watching lightning, and hearing the rain come down, so will have to wait about a week when another storm is supposed to roll through.

DH and I had to go to home depot yesterday to get some fittings for the garden hose, and while I was there, I just had to check to see if they had any succulent bowls.  Well of course, one came home with me!  I also snagged a basil bowl, which I usually get at the big box store, but since we gave up our membership, that wasn't an option this year.  I was happy to find both and of course, made room for them on the deck.  I'll snap a photo and post it later.

@rafinmdthinking of you as you remember your brother today; anniversary dates are always difficult.

@RowsbyI'm so sad for you over Casey's loss; it's so hard to say goodbye to our sweet furbabies.

I'm going to take a pass on today's menu suggestion - it seems the "small stew" I made yesterday turned out to be a little bigger than I thought.  LOL  It looks like we're having leftovers tonight with a side salad.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and all who are providing assistance to them.  We'll clink our glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, wear masks when you need to, get your boosters and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s a cool and cloudy day here but the humidity is supposed to be lower.

@rafinmd, I saw on the Lancaster news that another police officer in Maryland has paid the ultimate price. Sheriff Deputy Glenn Hilliard Wicomico county on Sunday evening. 💔

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Yes, very sad.  There was a huge vigil in Deputy Hilliard's honor last night.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

@Rowsby I am so sorry you lost your Casey. 😿

Good morning and happy Flag Day. It is going to blow today so a day of yardwork not fishing. Prayers for all on Roy's care list and condolences to Ray in the loss of your brother. Prayers for the people of Ukraine. 🙏🇺🇦

Thankfully I hit all my Iris blooms and most Lupines with deer spray.  

IMG_20220614_080612018.jpg

IMG_7924.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

🍸🍸🍸The Drink of the Day🍸🍸🍸

I have loved a good Dirty Vodka Martini since my mid-30s. Which leads to a bit of a story about my first: 

I had recently taken a new position, was at a company event, and had just ordered a Vodka Tonic when the man behind me called out, "STOP! Don't make that for her!" to the barkeep. Turning to me, the man said, "Lesson One: Don't drink cheap when the boss is buying," and changed my order to a Dirty Vodka Martini adding, with a wink, "The olives make it both a drink and a nibble."

Presumptuous on his part – Absolutely!  But, a Dirty Vodka Martini has been my drink (and a nibble) ever since…

-🍸Melisa🍸

• Like 15
  • Haha 18

Good morning. Clear this morning and sunny but cooler. Temp right now is low 60's and it was in the mid-50's when Bandit and I went for our walk. Hi today will be low 80's, but we do expect some wind and some smoke from the Flagstaff fires later this morning. There is still rain in our forecast for the weekend. Hope springs eternal. We could do without the lightning.

@Rowsby - sorry to hear about your kitty. He lived to a good age with you. We are never ready for them to go.

Have to head to the shelter in a bit. Our Thrift Store is being hit badly with Covid and we may need to close for a couple of days. No one to work the registers or the intake. Bummer. Work progresses on the floors on the the shelter side but the it is disrupting. The staff is getting stressed. The animals seem to take it in stride.

Prayers to all who need them. Keep well, think positive, and dream of cruising if you are not doing it already (and how I envy you).

Susan

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

Yesterday got away from me before I could post. I went down a rabbit hole trying to draw out a building so I could cut it out with the new Cricut. The building has some weird angles, and I discovered the tool that comes with it is pretty lame. So on to several other options: Corel draw (got the drawing done but had other issues), Inkscape ( more of a learning curve than I had after the first 2 attempts), and finally ended up in (of all things) PowerPoint. So after my hubby reminded me of the demo we saw at a local NMRA meeting, I was done in 20 minutes. So I guess my future workflow will be primarily SketchUp and PP.

Anyway, today is another day and I’ll pay proper respects to my Sewing machine and will weed my garden. Then take a bath ( warm soak) and distribute the water to our plants ( so the only water  “use” is the couple of gallons for the military style shower). 🙂

@Heartgrove  Sending my condolences. 
@Rowsby    Sending condolences.

@kazu Good to hear from you. Your flowers are beautiful. Last time I went to Flowermart in LA, there were so many varieties of hydrangeas, and some didn’t even look close to a typical hydrangea. 

My hydroponic lettuce is doing well. We will have salad soon. Also have borage and dill growing in jars.

95A7E997-5E30-45D4-837B-2C883B3F3494.thumb.jpeg.088ba6d793072b9c831b0ac350732679.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Rowsby said:

Sadly....Casey died yesterday....he was 17....I can't help but think they might be all together now.....

Casey and Paws - New Years Day 1-1-13.jpg

I’m very sorry about your Casey, Rowsby.  Hard to lose a pet that’s been part of the family for such a long time.  🥲

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@Rowsby I am so sorry to hear about Casey.

The vet said that Bobagingee has something wrong with his right front paw (which is why I took him) but it's not the paw, it the "wrist" joint.  She gave him a shot to alleviate the swelling, and some pain pills...right... and if that doesn't help to bring him in for an x ray.  Not sure if there is a fracture or not, but since I was using DH's CC, I thought better of charging 230.00 for three x rays on it.  Try with meds first.

DH starts a new campaign this week, Miami City Ballet.  It's the first campaign he worked, but they had to stop selling due to covid restrictions.  The ballet wanted the restrictions, but the governor of Florida did not.  So now he is back for 4 weeks.  He is working for someone I had worked for earlier, and could not stand! ( but they are both computer people, so they should get along fine).  

And since DH is doing all the house work today, I guess I should get up and at least attempt something.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! An interesting collection of days, and thank you Graham @grapau27 for looking up the meanings for us! I enjoy baths, but they use too much time and water so the shower always wins out.

Yesterday I drove DS back to Kelowna from the coast. The rain hit hard in the mountains, but at least it was off and on. I must admit that passing those big semis on a mountain highway in heavy rain and poor visibility with a drop on one side and a concrete divider on the other is not my favorite pastime! But now we’re here and cozy. The atmospheric river has hit, but I can stay inside and read and visit and tomorrow is supposed to be nice.

@Rowsby I am so sorry for your loss, especially when you’ve already had such a difficult year.Yes, I’m sure they are all together now.  @HAL4NOW Thank you for the picture of Haystack Rock. I just love Cannon Beach, but haven’t been there since before Covid. @ottahand7 Good on getting the deer repellent on your flowers on time. Your picture of the deer standing over the Lupinc and glaring at you through the window absolutely cracks me up!

Happy Tuesday, everyone, and take care those with storm and flood warnings. At least on a BHB, if the water rises the ship does too and no one even notices.

96CE3556-7B9E-4985-A170-D7274A394387.thumb.jpeg.c7d78154d6b025924731a5e64d97c2e8.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Rowsby I am so sorry to hear about Casey.

The vet said that Bobagingee has something wrong with his right front paw (which is why I took him) but it's not the paw, it the "wrist" joint.  She gave him a shot to alleviate the swelling, and some pain pills...right... and if that doesn't help to bring him in for an x ray.  Not sure if there is a fracture or not, but since I was using DH's CC, I thought better of charging 230.00 for three x rays on it.  Try with meds first.

I hope he meds do the trick 🤞 

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Thankfully I hit all my Iris blooms and most Lupines with deer spray.  

IMG_7924.jpg

Love it!  Congrats!!!  Nothing much works here - except a fence or a gun (we opted for the former 😉)

2 hours ago, Rowsby said:

Sadly....Casey died yesterday....he was 17....I can't help but think they might be all together now.....

Casey and Paws - New Years Day 1-1-13.jpg

I am so sorry to hear this.  

01BE3BB2-59EF-43E0-83C3-FA8EC9D53288.thumb.webp.e764ef6277b64b7e0f153b948d8a96aa.webp

It’s so hard when we lose our fur babies.  My sincere sympathy - it’s such a painful time.  

CDBBE932-59DF-4C3C-AC38-866847116250.thumb.jpeg.568d5de4176e353b64c14e8707a211ca.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all and Happy Flag Day.  This was always a good day for some end of the year activities when I was teaching.

Prayers for all in need.  Rowsby — sorry about your pet.  They bring us a lot of joy but it is very sad when they leave us.

I just tested negative for my cruise but sadly my friend will not be able to go.  She has had two positive and two negative tests!  But she is not going to risk going. 

Roy — did you say that on Royal now you may eat dinner with those not in your travel group?  I may have to go that route!  I really don’t want to eat alone!  Katherine 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to our Daily contributor's. Roy thanks for your note of celebration and thoughts of your brother's passing. That was Roger, right?

Rowsby I'm sorry about Casey's going over the Rainbow Bridge.

Hot hot hot and windy here in Georgetown. 100's into the near future. Will be in Maui July 4th. The weather is high 70's and looking forward to it and seeing my sis. 

Luckily our trees and flowers are blooming like crazy. It's a 2nd bloom on our rose trees.

0608221330b_HDR.thumb.jpg.5011b34073738311dc8fac76c23aca6e.jpg

0608221330_HDR.jpg

0608221330.jpg

0608221330a_HDR.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6