The frustrations of super low cruise fares and sky-high airfare

This is unheard of for me: with my C&A discount and a resident discount, I could get a balcony guarantee on the 9/23 Ovation Alaska cruise for $313. Yes, THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN DOLLARS. For a balcony. For seven days. For freakin' ALASKA.

But ... getting to Seattle would cost twice that for even the cheapest flights. 😖 Any MO residents with a bunch of airline miles want to score the deal of the century? 

• Like 3

You could look at it this way: the total cost is still probably the same or less than it would be if your cruise fare was higher but the airfare was lower.

I think the reason some of these cruises are dropping prices is because they know demand is lower due to airfares. If airfare prices went down, the cruise fare would probably go up. 

That being said, it doesn't really seem to be stopping people from booking. Cruises are filling up to capacity and every flight I've been on has been full. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Have you checked on Google Flights?  I just did a quick mock booking to/from St. Louis (I don't know what airport you would use), departing on 9/22 and returning on 9/30.  Alaska Airlines has a $407 round trip.

Thank you! I did check, but unfortunately that's not my airport. Alaska Airlines is still the cheapest, but the flights in the $400s leave at 6:00 or 7:00 AM on disembarkation day. 😕

• Like 1

This is what happened to us.  We got a great deal on our alaska cruise, but the airfare was going to cost just as much as the cabin.  We just couldn't justify it.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

This is unheard of for me: with my C&A discount and a resident discount, I could get a balcony guarantee on the 9/23 Ovation Alaska cruise for $313. Yes, THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTEEN DOLLARS. For a balcony. For seven days. For freakin' ALASKA.

But ... getting to Seattle would cost twice that for even the cheapest flights. 😖 Any MO residents with a bunch of airline miles want to score the deal of the century? 

It's called balance. Look at total cost, not just the cruise price or air price. You can afford to pay more for air if the cruise lines give the cruise away

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Thank you! I did check, but unfortunately that's not my airport. Alaska Airlines is still the cheapest, but the flights in the $400s leave at 6:00 or 7:00 AM on disembarkation day. 😕

Drivevthe 4 hours to Lambert. We'd drive 5 to Miami or Atlanta if the price justifies it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Consider a B2B...no additional airfare for the 2nd cruise.

After I retire, absolutely! 😄

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It's called balance. Look at total cost, not just the cruise price or air price. You can afford to pay more for air if the cruise lines give the cruise away

Very true. Unfortunately when the vacation budget for the year has already been allocated and it would be coming out of my "mad money" fund, it has to be a great deal on ALL fronts, not just the cruise fare. I should just stop looking for bargains for now. 😕

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

After I retire, absolutely! 😄

Very true. Unfortunately when the vacation budget for the year has already been allocated and it would be coming out of my "mad money" fund, it has to be a great deal on ALL fronts, not just the cruise fare. I should just stop looking for bargains for now. 😕

Probably best

• Like 1

Been Lucky myself finding cheap Flights on Discount Airlines for regular Travel and even on large Airlines for my Cruises. Yes some Flights earlier in day more expensive but getting off Cruises I usually don't Fly home until after 1pm anyway

1 hour ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

.  What did you think it would cost.

Edited by glentally

I am ready to book a cruise out of Galveston because of cost of first class air to Florida, haven’t cruised from there in several years, glad harmony is moving there in 2023 , really good rate for grand suite.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

You could look at it this way: the total cost is still probably the same or less than it would be if your cruise fare was higher but the airfare was lower.

I think the reason some of these cruises are dropping prices is because they know demand is lower due to airfares. If airfare prices went down, the cruise fare would probably go up. 

That being said, it doesn't really seem to be stopping people from booking. Cruises are filling up to capacity and every flight I've been on has been full. 

Thats how I look at it. Doesn’t really matter if the cruise is $300 and flights are $1,000 or if the cruise is $1,000 and flights are $300.

Take advantage of the low cruise rates/high airfare or wait till it’s normal

Same vacation either way… 

Edited by CruisingHogFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, glentally said:

.  What did you think it would cost.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, so I'll have to guess a bit in my response ... I typically pay around $300 to get to the east or west coast, unless it's last minute or business travel with specific requirements (in which case I'm not footing the bill anyway!). So that is my usual flight budget for cruises from domestic ports. The flights I mentioned in the $400s are not hugely above that range, but since the departure flights leave before we would be off the ship, they are not an option.

Does that answer your question?

It has always been my rule that I will never pay more for air than for the cruise.

Right now it's the flight disruptions/cancellations/fights/baggage losses that are keeping us from flying for any trip.

Fortunately, last year when DH lost his drivers license due to a stroke, we discovered a local travel company that does bus/cruise/bus trips, five time a year.  We have done two, and have three more booked.  Virtually door to door service, and as reliable and safe as any company could be.  It works well for us.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

For ones I've looked at either cruise fares are insane with reasonable airfare or cheap cruises but insane air.

i know it is like flipping a coin.  And forget Europe right now.  Some cruise lines do a lot of 1-way trips which means expensive 1-way airfares in European cities.   just ridiculous that while domestic 1 way are reasonable, not European.  

17 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

i know it is like flipping a coin.  And forget Europe right now.  Some cruise lines do a lot of 1-way trips which means expensive 1-way airfares in European cities.   just ridiculous that while domestic 1 way are reasonable, not European.  

Europe is on our near term bucket list, but I'm not touching Europe until we're more clear of covid rules.

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Europe is on our near term bucket list, but I'm not touching Europe until we're more clear of covid rules.

me too.  so far, I have done 4 Caribbean cruises (3 on Oasis class) and 1 NCL.

Finally, will get a change of pace next month going to Alaska and then New England.  I suppose I have to check out the silly ArriCan app.   But just booked the Symphony 1-week western Med from Barcelona for next June.   I will have to deal with these 1-way air fares as I am doing NCL Prima from Iceland-Southampton.  oh well.  great new ship and itinerary.