Umbrella in stateroom?

We_like_to_cruise

I recall a few years back when we took a British Isles cruise there was an umbrella in the cabin for our use.  There was no charge to use it during the cruise, but if you took it home, you paid for it.

Is that something that is still being provided by Princess?

(Honestly, I may have that mixed up with HAL, so, just asking !)

Would really like one less thing to pack.

Thank you !

11 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

I recall a few years back when we took a British Isles cruise there was an umbrella in the cabin for our use.  There was no charge to use it during the cruise, but if you took it home, you paid for it.

Thank you !

Don’t think it is a normal thing.  When we went to Scandinavia on Princess it was raining heavily when we got off at a port and they had umbrellas shipside for use.

We didn’t need it as I throw a travel umbrella in our tote.

• Thanks 1

I don't understand why people  answer 'they think" or "maybe". It doesn't offer the OP a definitive answer.

I sail in full suites and an umbrella is always in the closet. There are 2 of them since there is always two of us. On occasion when I have sailed in a Club Class Mini there is no umbrella.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We have mostly sailed in non-suites on Princess (including Club Class), but I have only ever seen umbrellas the few times we have sailed in full suites on Princess. Other cruise lines, such as Celebrity, provide umbrellas in more categories of cabins (if not all).

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

No umbrellas in our suite in April (first/only time in a suite). That's another thing for us to add to the list of items that our steward didn't provide (if one should have been there).

They are sometimes hidden in the far back corner of the closet. I’ve missed seeing them before until I really looked. But yes they are always provided to full suite passengers and they are not in any other category cabin.  I’ve sailed all categories except interior and ocean view. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

No umbrellas in our suite in April (first/only time in a suite). That's another thing for us to add to the list of items that our steward didn't provide (if one should have been there).

We had umbrellas in our suite last Fall (first/only time for us as well). That's the only time I've ever seen umbrellas in a cabin.

• Thanks 1

I know this is not about the itinerary you are asking about, but on our Panama Canal cruise Princess provided umbrellas for all guests who went to the monkey bridge during transit through the canal.  It was a nice touch on the part of Princess as rain is quite common in that region.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hello, Newman said:

I know this is not about the itinerary you are asking about, but on our Panama Canal cruise Princess provided umbrellas for all guests who went to the monkey bridge during transit through the canal.  It was a nice touch on the part of Princess as rain is quite common in that region.

I know that sometimes they will have them available for tours on rainy days But there is no way they have enough for all guests.

As it has been said many times here,   They are only available in full suites and it might be a good idea to bring your own small one.

• Thanks 1

I always bring a collapsible umbrella that fits in my small shore excursion bag. But...It has been my Experience that on returning to the ship on days when it was raining some guests who Did have umbrellas provided by the cruise line simply left them at the Xray machine as they didn't want to carry a wet umbrella back to their Suite.

I just "liberate" a wet one and don't mind letting it dry out in my cabin shower.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Suites have Princess branded umbrellas in the closest—all others generally fend for themselves—but we never take them because nothing says, “I’m a tourist, please pickpocket me,” like the overtly branded umbrellas and totes. The branded umbrellas are huge so, even if you do not care about the risk, it may be more convenient to pack something you can tuck into a bag or backpack until it is needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 5:24 PM, cruzsnooze said:

I don't understand why people  answer 'they think" or "maybe".

...because princess is inconsistent?

Just because I had an umbrella last week, it doesn't mean a passenger will this week.

And, if one makes an absolute declarative statement: "You will have an umbrella",

a poster will post an exception.

Edited by Roberto256
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 1:03 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Thank you !

Good question.  I am going on an Alaska cruise and sometimes there is a lot of rain.  I wonder if anyone has been on an Alaska cruise and has had one provided, no matter what category of cabin.

Marlster

• Thanks 1

Answering my own question !

No umbrella in our room on Island P for this cruise.  We packed our own small ones.

Until yesterday we had lovely mixed sun/clouds and temps in the 70s F. 

We did get rained on yesterday in Glasgow, but was prepared with wearing rain gear and of course carrying our umbrellas.

Thanks all for your comments !

Can’t recall having one for about 15 years now, always book balcony or mini suite in that time, so can’t say suites don’t still get one, but can’t imagine Port hole or inside would if balcony don’t

• 2 weeks later...

We are usually  in a balcony or mini suite.  Have never seen a Princess supplied umbrella.  Always carry my own but the winds in the Orkney Islands made an umbrella unusable.  Take a rain jacket with hood!  And some warm layers underneath!  Just returned from British Isles.