Due to lost Luggage a woman wore sweat pants every day on 15 Day Cruise ??

M&A

On 7/26/2022 at 10:52 AM, LHT28 said:

Unless the flight is full & you are forced to gate check your bags 😉

True - but even our personal item always has 2 changes of clothes, toiletries, pajamas and underwear for just that circumstance.  

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

My husband was kind enough to lift a lady’s bag, when she asked, and tore the ligaments in his shoulder.  Had to have surgery and a ton of time off work.  Even in recovery with his arm in a sling he was still being asked.  He used his good arm and, guess what?  Same thing happened.  If you can’t lift your own bag, don’t ask someone else to do it!!!  😡  And don’t get miffed when he now says no.  😒

Totally agree with you about people shouldn't ask an obviously injured person to lift their bag.  But doesn't the proverb "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." apply here in your hubby's case also. 🤔 

15 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cross-packing is hard to do when traveling solo…

Get to know the persons in the airport checkin lines.  Plenty of time to cross pack with them.  😀

Do make sure they are on the same cruise.  

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just to provide a different viewpoint, I (as a frequent flyer and business traveler) often see fellow business travelers board the plane, place both their rollaboard and briefcase above the seat, fold their coat or jacket on top of it and take their seat with nothing under their feet. By the time folks with lesser status board, all the upper space is gone. 

I know flight attendants see this and I applaud them for on occasion asking passengers who've done this to move their smaller bag to underneath. 

I totally agree w what you are saying - I think.  Depends upon whether the rollaboard and the briefcase are occupying the same space or next to each other.  A person is entitled to only 1 item in the overhead.  However my point is if my one item is a smallish backpack I don't see why I should have to fill the limited space in front of me with the backpack thereby reducing the space for my feet.  Large or small - the backpack goes into the overhead.

After all it is easier and less destructive to the contents for you to check the rollaboard suitcase than to have my backpack with my photo equipment and electronics crushed in the cargo hold.

Bottom line is that I paid the same amount for my body and my backpack as the businessman paid for the his body and is larger suitcase. 

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

I really wish airlines would just level the playing field on luggage. If you're concerned about an extra 50 lbs, that 50 lbs shouldn't matter if it's in two smaller bags or one large one. It is tiring to fight with people for overhead space, hear arguments over what everyone feels they deserve, get whacked in the head, have to help people with heavy bags, slow down the entire deboarding process, etc. Carry-on culture has become far more of a hassle than it needs to be. All largely because of this loophole we've created to get "free luggage".

I love to watch people being shot down for storing their backpack in the overhead bins. You want to bring this stuff, you follow the same rules. It's a terrible precedent to allow everyone to put their personal item up there. God forbid you try to bring a carry-on to a flight that has it free but charges for a checked bag. Good luck finding a space. If there's extra space after everyone has had a chance to store their carry-on, then have at it.

Getting on a plane should never be a rush to get an amenity, ie - seat or storage. It just adds to the stress of flying. This is one reason I hate flying Southwest. I'm not trying to battle for seats. However it is nice to have included checked in luggage there so everyone doesn't feel forced to carry on. 

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I love to watch people being shot down for storing their backpack in the overhead bins. You want to bring this stuff, you follow the same rules. It's a terrible precedent to allow everyone to put their personal item up there. God forbid you try to bring a carry-on to a flight that has it free but charges for a checked bag. Good luck finding a space. If there's extra space after everyone has had a chance to store their carry-on, then have at it.

However, if a passenger only has a backpack as their carry-on they have a claim on overhead space too. I've had to make this point more than once when coming on board with just my small B&R expandable cabin bag and another passenger has objected to it being in the overhead. They lost the debate each time. 

Edited by K32682

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

However, if a passenger only has a backpack as their carry-on they have a claim on overhead space too. I've had to make this point more than once when coming on board with just my small B&R expandable cabin bag and another passenger has objected to it being in the overhead. They lost the debate each time. 

Any flight I have been on states that anything which will fit under the seat is to go there. That is your first "claim" to space. If you have something larger, you then have a claim to overhead. Overhead space is for larger items first--and then if there is still space, smaller items are allowed. No ticket ever stated "This includes priority overhead space".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Any flight I have been on states that anything which will fit under the seat is to go there. That is your first "claim" to space. If you have something larger, you then have a claim to overhead. Overhead space is for larger items first--and then if there is still space, smaller items are allowed. No ticket ever stated "This includes priority overhead space".

Not in my experience and not when some late-arriving passenger whined to a flight attendant. I explained to her that this was my only bag and she agreed it could remain in the overhead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Not in my experience and not when some late-arriving passenger whined to a flight attendant. I explained to her that this was my only bag and she agreed it could remain in the overhead.

Well I guess if that is the kind of person you want to be. A little kindness never hurt anyone.

5 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

No ticket ever stated "This includes priority overhead space".

Actually, I was just pricing tickets for my brother and SIL to Hawaii and I believe it was United was selling economy tickets with OR without overhead space. Welcome to the new normal.

ETA: I believe it was $9pp, compared to $70 each for a checked bag....

Edited by crystalspin

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Actually, I was just pricing tickets for my brother and SIL to Hawaii and I believe it was United was selling economy tickets with OR without overhead space. Welcome to the new normal.

ETA: I believe it was $9pp, compared to $70 each for a checked bag....

This is new but further shows that smaller items are meant to be stowed under the seat. Not that I would be in favor of charging for overhead space but some airlines charge for any carryon. 

13 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Well I guess if that is the kind of person you want to be. A little kindness never hurt anyone.

Kindness goes both ways. We all bought a ticket and are entitled to the onboard luggae space equally.

The entitlement by the 'have to put my case in the bin' person is not kind.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

First come, first served. I'm quite tall and do not apologize for placing my smaller, lone bag in the overhead instead of in the space where my feet should go. Kindness might also include not demanding I be uncomfortable during a flight just to accommodate your max-sized carryon. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

When we fly in Australia on Jetstar we are allowed 7KG.  They weight the carry on AND anything else that you place under your seat-purse, etc.    

If your carry on total is more than 7KG you have to pay more.  As I recall more than the cost of checking it.  Only to a max of 14KG.

On two of our last three domestic flights there was a Jetstar agent at the gate with a scale.  Checking those who had checking in on line and re-checking some others.   Surprising how many had to pay more for carry on  and/or had to check their bag.    Air Asia sometimes does the same with an agent and a scale positioned before you pass though security to reach their section of the airport.

When we fly in Australia on Jetstar we are allowed 7KG.  They weight the carry on AND anything else that you place under your seat-purse, etc.    

If your carry on total is more than 7KG you have to pay more.  As I recall more than the cost of checking it.  Only to a max of 14KG.

On two of our last three domestic flights there was a Jetstar agent at the gate with a scale.  Checking those who had checking in on line and re-checking some others.   Surprising how many had to pay more for carry on  and/or had to check their bag.   

Air Asia  does the same at some of their hubs.   Agent with a scale positioned before you pass though security to reach their section of the airport.

When we fly in Australia on Jetstar we are allowed 7KG.  That limit includes the carry plus any other items such as purses.  

If your  total is more than 7KG you have to pay more.  Only to a max of 14KG.  Anything over and you have to check.  Size limits as well. 

On our last trip two of three domestic flights had an agent stationed at the boarding area, with a scale,  checking any carry on that appeared to be over the weight or the size limits.  Surprising how many had to pay more or check.  It was less expensive to check than it was to pay for carry on in excess of 7KG.    

Air Asia does something  similar.  Our experience is that there never seems to be carry an overhead storage space issue on either airline.  And boarding is much smoother.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A carry-on is a carry-on - the overhead bins are intended to accommodate carry-ons — with no size qualification.  If someone wants to bring a carry-on larger than mine, it’s his choice, and also his problem.

I agree.  However, the reality is when space runs out, it is pretty common for them to announce smaller items should be placed under the seat.  My experience is it happens more on domestic flights.  Not so much on international.  

In an economy seat, nothing but my feet will go under the seat in front of me.   On extended leg room seats, which is our norm these days, I typically put something under if I can.  

If I were making the rules, I would give some incentive for checked bags -- maybe extra frequent flyer points and/or early boarding.  I would charge for carry ons that go in the overhead.   Just blue-skying.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A carry-on is a carry-on - the overhead bins are intended to accommodate carry-ons — with no size qualification.  If someone wants to bring a carry-on larger than mine, it’s his choice, and also his problem.

Not always. The airlines claim to have size restrictions with carry-ons but rarely are they enforced. 

I imagine they do not want to upset the business traveler; I did business travel and most business travelers do not check bags so often cases are larger and would not qualify to the size restrictions. We have all seen those people. Now with bag fees the tourist traveler does the same thing, I get it.

The only time I saw strict bag measuring was in EU, never in the US.

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

Not always. The airlines claim to have size restrictions with carry-ons but rarely are they enforced. 

I imagine they do not want to upset the business traveler; I did business travel and most business travelers do not check bags so often cases are larger and would not qualify to the size restrictions. We have all seen those people. Now with bag fees the tourist traveler does the same thing, I get it.

The only time I saw strict bag measuring was in EU, never in the US.

I was referring to a carry-on which met the airline’s definition.   Just because my carry-on MIGHT fit under the seat in front of me (causing significant inconvenience) I should not be expected to give up space in the overhead to convenience others (many of whom are toting over-size items).

• Like 4

On 7/26/2022 at 8:40 AM, M&A said:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/cruise-passenger-embarrassed-over-wearing-103350046.html

This is crazy, if her luggage didn't turn up at Heathrow, she could've bought clothes in London or her first cruise stop.

Wearing sweat pants for an entire cruise.

This is word for word  my dream vacation

• Haha 3

On 7/26/2022 at 9:40 AM, staceyglow said:

Not to brag, but hubby and I recently went on a 2-week trip to Europe with 2 carry-ons and two backpacks. I literally can't remember the last time I checked bags on an airline. If you don't mind  repeating outfits, you can make it work. 

Yeah, I have no problem packing light.  Having less to deal with actually makes the trip better.  

On 7/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

Hmm...once I had a $3500 unexpected medical bill on a cruise because I had an infection due to a shaving nick.  You're never too young or healthy....

For the record...I'm 73; DH is 87.  Our health insurance for a 7 day cruise is about $85,

To those who think "just go to a store and buy clothes".....how do you know where the store is, how to get to the store, the hours the store is open etc.  Not very easy to do.

We "carry-on"....exclusively.

Agree on all points: 

- You can't afford not to buy insurance.  If you don't want to buy the cruise's insurance, make a call to whoever covers your homeowner's.  They can write you a travel policy that covers JUST what you want; that is, you can have just medical and emergency evacuation insurance /can skip luggage insurance.  Or whatever details you want. 

- Agree that not everyone would be able to run out and find a couple outfits in a limited amount of time in an unknown place.  As for me, all my clothes have to be hemmed.  Definitely possible, but not easy. 

- Yes, when we fly, we carry on.  

On 7/26/2022 at 1:19 PM, matamanoa said:

I often ask myself what folks who bring only carry on do in the case of liquids or gels that they might need on their trip.  The airline will only allow certain sizes and for things such as mouthwash, toothpaste, shampoo, etc for a week long or more trip, do you buy these items when you get to your destination before the cruise?

This isn't a make-or-break issue:  You can always use the ship's shampoo or bring a shampoo bar.  

Once we flew across country (not for a cruise), and we needed a number of things (not just liquids) that are problematic to pack ... we mailed a package to ourselves at our first night's hotel.  

On 7/26/2022 at 10:03 PM, ldubs said:

When I read the article my impression was the reporter did a little sensationalizing over what probably actually happened. I agree with the passenger that losing luggage would be a pretty awful thing to have to deal with on vacation.   

I wondered if the author might've sensationalized it -- or if the woman in question played it up because she was upset.  

Related:  The article doesn't say it, but I'm assuming the woman flew in "day of" instead of arriving in her port city a day ahead of time -- this would mean her luggage had less time to catch up to her.  

On 7/26/2022 at 10:14 PM, cruisemom42 said:

For all those who said she should've bought new clothes, we don't know what she was told. If she thought her luggage was going to show up at the ship or at the first port, she may well have thought she'd just get by until her clothes arrived...

Okay, I believe that.  She could easily have thought, "I'll just miss the first night's dinner, then I'll have my stuff" ... "Okay, I missed my opportunity to buy clothes at my first stop, and it'll be two days until I have another chance -- and they've promised me for sure I'll have my suitcase at that island!"  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

Who cares why she didn't have anything other than sweatpants to wear?  Really.....I feel badly for her.  She might have not have had the time or money to buy some new clothes - especially in London, which isn't cheap, especially for their expected celebratory meals.  She might not have been an easy fit, so it's not as simple as popping in to a nearby and inexpensive shop to buy something.    Much gossip about a stranger's reasons for something that shouldn't bother anyone. 

• Thanks 2

I flew back from Paris yesterday.  It was a full flight.  FAs were making announcements to please put little bags under the seat so that people in the back might have a chance at having overhead space.  I was up front, so I didn't care.  If i'm on a nonstop i'll check my carryon anyway to avoid the overhead scrum - it's now habit.  I went for a month between France and Italy with my carryon and my backpack.  I did a lot of trains, so it was important to be light and nimble.   If something happened to my luggage and I had to wear my sweats, I wouldn't care and I wouldn't care what people thought.  Never know if and when it's going to happen to you!!

• Like 1