Now I see why people are upset about not getting the Cruise Compass

2 hours ago, Happy New Cruiser said:

I actually am somewhat in support of having it all be digital just to conserve all the paper.  I just don’t understand why they don’t take the suggestion of many on these boards and make a PDF version of the Cruise Compass. Then everything will be included in one place and it can still be digital. 

SO MUCH THIS!!  I always take home a big stack of paper to recycle, most of which I only glanced at.

That being said, I've also lost track of how many times one of us was aware of some activity that the other was not, because it was listed in the paper Cruise Compass but not the app. 🤨

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I wish there were a way to put personal events into the app's calendar for reminders, etc.  

Like, "Meet So-and-So at the Schooner Bar" for a certain time.  

This would be a very welcome addition, I agree!

As an alternative, one should be able to put these type “appointments” into your phone calendar, and receive a notification 

3 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

They do this to minimize the use of paper and help the environment, but they'll still leave 3-5 pieces of paper with spa specials, jewelry sales, art auctions, where to shop in port, etc on a daily basis.

For myself, I would be all for receiving a paper Cruise Compass daily and putting commercials and advertisements on the APP.  I try to disconnect on holidays when possible.

• Like 1

In a nutshell: There is the global internet, and then there is the ship's intranet. On the global internet the app will give you only what it is intended to show you globally. The exact moment you connect and log in to the ship's intranet, the app will give you full access to its full details.

Back in the day I went on Allure once in Europe, I booked my shows beforehand, just to discover some of them were changed, in part due to sad weather in Embarkation day and previsions to same weather on the following day. All of us had to go to the kiosks to change reservations. Now they're doing on site reservations only, and that is the best they can do. At least they'll to know what the exact weather prospects maybe for the week to adapt their schedules. It's a positive new features, despite the naysayers.

• Like 1

Wife and I are both well over 65. Two cruises on Navigator since restart.  No cruise Compass and we had to ask for paper menus for every sit down meal. I have no phone and wife puts hers in the safe and leaves it for the week. Checked in with all hard copy documents, only time we used the phone was to watch the muster video in the car while driving to the port and muster checkin. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

I HATE computers. I am sorry that so many companies think that they are the "second coming". I prefer hard copies of the Compass, Menus, newspapers, books, etc. although when traveling I do download ebooks from my library to save weight.

I do have a question though "Is the Cruise Compass available on the television in cabins?"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

I wish there were a way to put personal events into the app's calendar for reminders, etc.  

Like, "Meet So-and-So at the Schooner Bar" for a certain time.  

@brillohead
You should suggest that to the app developers. In the app is a notice that says:  

“Email AppFeedback@rccl.com and tell us what you'd like to see in.future releases.”

I submitted a suggestion a while back and actually got a response. They may never use my suggestion but we will see. 

• Like 2

Just now, jeh10641 said:

Another suggestion for cruise lines to look at.

Displaying the Compass on the TV in its full form would be difficult to read and zooming in and navigating the display would be difficult with a TV remote.

• Thanks 1

I didn't read all replies.  

I'm a big fan of the Compass.  I tear out the portion that has all the venues and their operating hours and carry it in my pocket.  It is sooooooo much easier than pulling out the phone, opening the app, getting to the venue to where you what to go and then find the hours.  The Compass is so much easier at a glance and to plan your day with.  And, for the most part, I try not to carry a phone while on a cruise anyway.  Afterall, I'm trying to get away from my everyday routine and especially the damn phone.  My phone is usually in the safe, where it belongs.  YMMV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ktbr11crs said:

I really like the idea of a small card to indicate that you want the compass. It would be great if there were a few other common requests listed and space to add anything else. We typically want one extra pillow and may need a few more hangers; with the room stewards being very busy on turnaround day this would be easier than trying to track them down or leave a message. I know we can just leave a note, but it feels like it would be easier for everyone to have a common method.

They had this on the adventure last week. A card in the stateroom with checkboxes to tick. Extra pillows/beds together or apart etc. (I can't remember them all) and space for additional requests.

There was no check box for a cruise compass but we got one every evening without asking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paper at a glance can be much faster and easier to navigate than the app.  My phone goes on airplane mode when I board and put in the safe.  Many can't distance from their device; I understand it.  But it's not for me.  Paper compass is fine for me 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nelblu said:

Available for those 65 and over every night on the Easter Anthem sail.  However, my son who had a cabin next to mine was not getting them.  I'm assuming that Royal thinks that seniors are not tech savvy.😀

Our friends just came off Anthem, got theirs every night.

• Thanks 1

I was on Adventure last week. There was a QR code in the room which opened a full version of the cruise compass along with some other informational documents. They said that there was a link to it in the app, but I couldn't find it. But the QR code worked well. And the paper ones were delivered to my room too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 3:32 PM, jerseyjjs said:

They do this to minimize the use of paper and help the environment, but they'll still leave 3-5 pieces of paper with spa specials, jewelry sales, art auctions, where to shop in port, etc on a daily basis.

I didn't receive all that extra stuff on my last six cruises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2022 at 8:07 AM, Happy New Cruiser said:

I signed into the app and selected the current Oasis itinerary so I could see what activities to expect on my sailing next week.  There is no mention of Aqua80 or Cats (not that I’m planning to go) in the app. I’m pretty sure they didn’t cancel them both for an entire sailing. There are so many other activities and shows listed but, how is one to know when the main shows are if they don’t appear in the app and they don’t give you a daily Cruise Compass? 

I ask our cabin person to bring me a paper copy every night.  If I don't get it, I go to guest services and get one.  I want my paper Compass.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There's a clear call for a variety of options. I see some good suggestions to improve the app.  I would prefer a simple PDF version that I could highlight or star events; send them to others in my reservation party.  The person who said they like the paper copy to markup; same.  Quick and easy. 

• Like 2

We were on Navigator in June out of Stockholm.  We did receive the compass each day.  Wouldn’t miss it as app has most everything.  What we did miss were port maps.  We were told they stopped giving them because someone sued Royal for being left at port and them blaming the map.  Big disappointment, the maps helped a lot around dock and downtown. 

• Thanks 1